HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nyi/ana

Old
10-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Nyi/ana

Just a thought to help kill a Friday, a fan of neither of these teams. There are prospects involved so everyone try to stay calm!

C Ryan Strome
W Matt Martin

W Emerson Etem
W Devante Smith-Pelly

--------------------------------------------------------------

Why do the Ducks do it? Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre and most of their forward prospects are wingers. Plus Koivu doesn't have long left and Nick Bonino and Andrew Cogliano won't cut it. Strome gives them a real potential top 6 centre. Martin brings some hits and pugnacity to the bottom lines and some much needed depth for the Ducks.

Why to the Islanders do it? After Tavares, they have Neilsen and Nelson among others. They could use a skilled winger like Etem in their system. Yes, they could move Nelson or Strome to the wing, but I think Etem would fit with Tavares well eventually. The get DSP because I think Strome is the better prospect over Etem. People may complain here, but let's be reality, DSP is not going to be a top 6 player, he'll be a very effective bottom 6 player.

Flame away!

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:07 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

No thanks. Etem and DSP are awesome, but Strome is projected to be the future #2 center of the Islanders, and Martin is up there in the untouchable players (yes, I'm serious with that).

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Suddenly7

I can say that this seems like a fair deal. The only reason I reject it is because Emerson Etem is in it. I can let Pelly go for a great center project, but Etem is my favorite prospect coming out of our farm system.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Just a thought to help kill a Friday, a fan of neither of these teams. There are prospects involved so everyone try to stay calm!

C Ryan Strome
W Matt Martin

W Emerson Etem
W Devante Smith-Pelly

--------------------------------------------------------------

Why do the Ducks do it? Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre and most of their forward prospects are wingers. Plus Koivu doesn't have long left and Nick Bonino and Andrew Cogliano won't cut it. Strome gives them a real potential top 6 centre. Martin brings some hits and pugnacity to the bottom lines and some much needed depth for the Ducks.

Why to the Islanders do it? After Tavares, they have Neilsen and Nelson among others. They could use a skilled winger like Etem in their system. Yes, they could move Nelson or Strome to the wing, but I think Etem would fit with Tavares well eventually. The get DSP because I think Strome is the better prospect over Etem. People may complain here, but let's be reality, DSP is not going to be a top 6 player, he'll be a very effective bottom 6 player.

Flame away!
Neither Strome or Martin have done anything, to make the isles sour on them.

Isles have quite a few promising skilled, center prospects, so I'm expecting some of them to be shifted to the wing. No interest in moving either Strome or Martin.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Neither Strome or Martin have done anything, to make the isles sour on them.

Isles have quite a few promising skilled, center prospects, so I'm expecting some of them to be shifted to the wing. No interest in moving either Strome or Martin.
As usual, I'm in agreement with Crew. The Isles have no interest in dealing their #1 prospect and their glue guy (who is signed to a 4-year $1M/per contract btw).

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Flame away!
1. We are not giving up Matt Martin needlessly. We are small and soft enough, already.
2. We need centers more than we need wings. (The only center prospect that will likely never be converted to wing is Cizikas. The jury is out on Strome and Nelson.)

I'd wait till we legitimately have a glut at center to trade away our top prospect.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Reign Nateo

Fair enough guys, but a few thoughts I'd add.

DSP will be better than Martin, and probably starting in the next year or two. You're actually upgrading the bottom 6 with this move despite the love for Martin...

You deal from positions of strength (centre) to fill positions of need (winger). And Anaheim does the same only vice-versa.

Fans loving a player doesn't usually come into consideration when you have a chance to add talent like Etem and DSP.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Fair enough guys, but a few thoughts I'd add.

DSP will be better than Martin, and probably starting in the next year or two. You're actually upgrading the bottom 6 with this move despite the love for Martin...

You deal from positions of strength (centre) to fill positions of need (winger). And Anaheim does the same only vice-versa.

Fans loving a player doesn't usually come into consideration when you have a chance to add talent like Etem and DSP.
Doesn't really matter if DSP will be better than Martin. Martin was drafted by the Islanders, plays a key role, and just signed a 4 year deal. No real need to trade him for DSP, even if it is a slight upgrade.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Doesn't really matter if DSP will be better than Martin. Martin was drafted by the Islanders, plays a key role, and just signed a 4 year deal. No real need to trade him for DSP, even if it is a slight upgrade.
I think the upgrade would be more than "slight" eventually. Smith-Pelly is of a higher pedigree than Martin and matched his best season points-wise in 49 games as a 20 year old.

He's on a different level talent-wise. It's a significant upgrade. And since when do who drafted a player and being signed to a contract stop a player from being traded.

I realize Martin is a fan favourite, but that's not what I'm interested in. I want to know if we have a fair deal, not how much Isles fans love Martin... Because in this deal, they're getting the MUCH better bottom 6 asset.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Getzlaf no longer looks like a #1 center?.. Ok

And Anaheim wouldn't touch this deal.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Getzlaf no longer looks like a #1 center?.. Ok

And Anaheim wouldn't touch this deal.
Trouble reading?

"Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre..."

And if both Isles and Ducks fans won't do it, it must be fair...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Trouble reading?

"Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre..."

And if both Isles and Ducks fans won't do it, it must be fair...
Fair value isn't what gets a deal made. Needs enter into it, and we don't need center prospects at the moment.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I think that's where Isles fans and you disagree. We still don't have a 2nd line center. We have two prospects that could become that guy: Strome or Nelson. Until one shows himself to be the one, we'll not be trading either, unless we're getting (crosses fingers) Krejci back.

Except... The Islanders need size and grit, and top-end complimentary skill. RH shot a plus. There's a player on Anaheim who has these qualities, but I'm not sure you're ready to deal him.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
No reason to give up on either Strome or Martin as CREW said, we're exiting our rebuild and these two players are going to be key cogs in doing so.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I think the upgrade would be more than "slight" eventually. Smith-Pelly is of a higher pedigree than Martin and matched his best season points-wise in 49 games as a 20 year old.

He's on a different level talent-wise. It's a significant upgrade. And since when do who drafted a player and being signed to a contract stop a player from being traded.

I realize Martin is a fan favourite, but that's not what I'm interested in. I want to know if we have a fair deal, not how much Isles fans love Martin... Because in this deal, they're getting the MUCH better bottom 6 asset.
I don't see Snow trading the isles top prospect, so he can get an upgrade on 22 yr old Martin in the bottom 6.

Isles have 4 big, physical wing prospects in Nino, Kabanov, Lee and Ullstrom.6'3 Nelson may also end up on the wing.

No interest in moving Strome for a winger.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't see Snow trading the isles top prospect, so he can get an upgrade on 22 yr old Martin in the bottom 6.

Isles have 4 big, physical wing prospects in Nino, Kabanov, Lee and Ullstrom.6'3 Nelson may also end up on the wing.

No interest in moving Strome for a winger.
Well, a wing prospect. I would trade him for a veteran wing. Say Bobby Ryan

Old
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I think that's where Isles fans and you disagree. We still don't have a 2nd line center. We have two prospects that could become that guy: Strome or Nelson. Until one shows himself to be the one, we'll not be trading either, unless we're getting (crosses fingers) Krejci back.

Except... The Islanders need size and grit, and top-end complimentary skill. RH shot a plus. There's a player on Anaheim who has these qualities, but I'm not sure you're ready to deal him.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Maybe with Wang finally qualifying for revenue sharing, riding the pr wave from the Brooklyn news and making his playoff prediction statement, maybe we'll see that type of trade :prospects for a quality, nhl star

Old
10-26-2012, 01:21 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Well, a wing prospect. I would trade him for a veteran wing. Say Bobby Ryan

Old
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
JabbaJabba

This trade makes no sense for either team. Strome and Martin are Islanders' future while Etem and DSP are Anaheim's. Also lol at the "Getzlaf is not top flight center anymore". One bad season and suddenly you are crap.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Fair value isn't what gets a deal made. Needs enter into it, and we don't need center prospects at the moment.
Well obviously we're not actually making a deal here... And from the outside looking in, the Ducks most definitely need high end centre prospects. Getzlaf is a question mark, but still a lock for a top line spot, Koivu doesn't have long left. That leaves guys like Holland, Bonino, McMillan etc. That's not very strong.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Well obviously we're not actually making a deal here... And from the outside looking in, the Ducks most definitely need high end centre prospects. Getzlaf is a question mark, but still a lock for a top line spot, Koivu doesn't have long left. That leaves guys like Holland, Bonino, McMillan etc. That's not very strong.
I have no problem banking on Holland.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
This trade makes no sense for either team. Strome and Martin are Islanders' future while Etem and DSP are Anaheim's. Also lol at the "Getzlaf is not top flight center anymore". One bad season and suddenly you are crap.
This guy scored 11 goals and 57 points last year. Playing with Corey Perry and all the PP time in the world. Is me saying "Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre" really that much of a stretch? He very well could be again, but at this point there are some question marks, not sure why that's such a polarizing statement...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I like him too, but he's not the type of prospect that stops you from aquireing someone like Ryan Strome...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I like him too, but he's not the type of prospect that stops you from aquireing someone like Ryan Strome...
Look, I'm not an outsider to the Anaheim Ducks. I'm well acquainted with our needs. Right now, need number one is on left wing, and you have us trading the two best players we have in the pipeline at that position.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Something also missed is that both Strome and Martin are a part of Tavares' 'Dungeon Crew' so there is no way in hell that either of them are traded as the Isles go out of their way to make Johnny happy.

http://islanders.thecheckingline.com...oducts-dungeon