HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Yakupov

Old
10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Gagner in his fifth season of the NHL, vs. Hodgson in his first.

Hodgson's potential is much higher.
How do figure this.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I appreciate that we fans always overvalue players on our teams, and I think Myers will be a very good D man in this league, but Yakupov will very quickly become worth far more than Myers. Think of the dynamics Yakupov and Grigorenko could have playing together, you are talking about a duo that should both be near the top 10 in league scoring for years...
Yakupov and Grigorenko play terribly together, and I'd rather have a 6'8" (potentially) franchise defenseman + a decent 2C (Hodgson) than one undersized, though highly skilled, scoring winger. I'm 100% sure Buffalo management feels the same way. Myers is easily the 2nd most important player to the Sabres after Miller. Our winning % with vs without him in the lineup is evidence of that.
There's almost no one in the league I would trade him for. "Fair value" is nice, but Myers wins us hockey games. Though I'm not even sure I would call that deal fair value, tbh. If all 3 players involved reach their ceilings, Edmonton would be making out like bandits.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
You keep saying this.... but Yakupov is playing (actually lighting up) the KHL. It is a professional league... I don't think "the minors" is a very fair characterization.
True, it is a bit unfair. I would also point out, though, that Radulov is a star in the KHL and never panned out here as anything special. Yakupov is not necessarily Radulov, but being the best player not in the NHL does not mean you will be one of the best players when you get to the NHL.

I like Yakupov. He is very good. He is still just a prospect with a lot to prove before he gets a team's All Star #1 goalie, a team's best hitting defenceman, and the team's best defensive prospect (although "best" is arguable thanks to Beaulieu).

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I like Price but I don't like his Cap hit of 6.5mil, when he signed that contract I thought it was too much and think with the players we have we won't be able to pay a goalie that much.
Completely fair statement and easily understood.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
A91

Failing to see why edm would need schnieder ? Dubnyk started more games and had ok statistics on the 29th ranked team, while schnieder had slightly better statistics with the 1st ranked team. Both relatively unproven, and honestly I'd rather ride it out with Dubnyk than trade what seems to be a franchise winger in Yakupov. As well with Price (not saying Dubnyks better) I would love to have him, but upgrading from Dubnyk to Price isn't worth Yakupov, and for the players were receiving it isn't worth looking at. Habs mvp isn't going anywhere.
Liked the SJ offer !

A91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Crabovski*

Ill say it again... Should of drafted a dman now you guys are going to be stuck trading a quality pick just too even up the bench down the road. Nice Edmonton.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
How do figure this.
Gagner has been in the league for five years... what you see, is what you are going to get.

In his first season, Hodgson equalled that performance, and I believe he will grow from there...

Fogelhund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
Ill say it again... Should of drafted a dman now you guys are going to be stuck trading a quality pick just too even up the bench down the road. Nice Edmonton.
Ever heard of Justin Schultz?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Ya, shouldve drafted a clearly inferior player in the harder to predict position in which players take longer to develop. Edmonton made the right call on all their high picks, and any of the players they picked up can be traded years down the road for need.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Brian28

Quote:
How many 1st overall picks are traded at a loss when they are living up to potential? What about how well Schultz is doing in the AHL? Granted it's no guarantee but neither would drafting the D available.

We took the best player available and signed a top prospect over the summer which filled the gap you're claiming we should have filled with the draft. Add in all our D prospects which are showing promise and it would have been a mistake to draft D with the 1st overall.

Imagine people seeing Yakupov doing well in the KHL and what they would be saying about Edmonton's pick then. Oilers simply can't win with other fans...we either pick the wrong player by nit drafting for need it we miss the best player because we drafted for need rather than taking the BPA.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:17 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Same logic that led to Toronto picking Grigorenko because of their weakness at center, right? Nice Toronto.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Really? Hey, you know your team better than I do, but I would love to have COuture on the Habs and think he will only get better. I think he and Clowe combined are too much to give for Yakuov alone, but I am a Habs fan. Sorry to poop on your parade.
I love Couture, obviously, but I personally think that he's not true #1C material, nor is he a franchise player. A young, franchise player is exactly what we desperately need. I'm also quite low on Clowe, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I like the idea of Couture in EDM, that is the perfect centreman for this team and he adds size. Couture and Clowe would be two nice additions. I can see Yak and PRV maybe what do you guys think?
Couture/Clowe for Yakupov/Paajarvi. Done and done. I quite like Paajarvi.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
My gut tells me SJ wins that, especially with Clowe's contract status. I'm not as high on Yak as I was on Hall but he's sure looking good in the KHL. Couture would be GREAT though, and I understand you have to give to get.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:29 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Perspective is everything. Yakupov has 8 points in 9 games and he's lighting it up. His value is sky-rocketing. Ovechkin has 13 points in 12 games and there's a thread on the NHL board about him being a bust. Go figure.
You're right. 18 year old Yakupov is clearly a bust.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Gagner has been in the league for five years... what you see, is what you are going to get.

In his first season, Hodgson equalled that performance, and I believe he will grow from there...
So how do you explain his performance with the Sabres, looked like he took a step backwards with them.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
So how do you explain his performance with the Sabres, looked like he took a step backwards with them.
No, not really. He had a boatload of travel after getting traded and was immediately given more and tougher minutes by Ruff than he ever got in Vancouver, including some duty on the 2nd PK unit. His linemates were injured Vanek (who had something like a whopping 7 total goals after the All-Star break) and Corey Tropp. After a rough start/adjustment period, depending on your perspective, he put up 8 points in his last 10 games, and 9 so far in 6 games with Rochester. Not sure how anyone could count taking a few games to adjust to playing significantly tougher minutes with new linemates in a new system as "taking a step back".

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
No, not really. He had a boatload of travel after getting traded and was immediately given more and tougher minutes by Ruff than he ever got in Vancouver, including some duty on the 2nd PK unit. His linemates were injured Vanek (who had something like a whopping 7 total goals after the All-Star break) and Corey Tropp. After a rough start/adjustment period, depending on your perspective, he put up 8 points in his last 10 games, and 9 so far in 6 games with Rochester. Not sure how anyone could count taking a few games to adjust to playing significantly tougher minutes with new linemates in a new system as "taking a step back".
You can make a lot of excuses for Gagner as well with the injuries to the Oilers and the quality of line mates he had. I'm not a Gagner fan, but Hodgson hasn't done anything to say he has more potential.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Perspective is everything. Yakupov has 8 points in 9 games and he's lighting it up. His value is sky-rocketing. Ovechkin has 13 points in 12 games and there's a thread on the NHL board about him being a bust. Go figure.

Not too complicated to figure....
One is a 27 year old Vet the other is an 18 year old rookie.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Soundwave

Yakupov very likely could be better than Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.

Better shot than Taylor Hall, better skater than Jordan Eberle.

Why should the Oilers trade him for pennies on the dollar again? Kid is going to be a superstar and was drafted no.1 for a reason.

Would've probably broken all of Stamkos' records in Sarnia if not for the injuries he ran into his second season and is now scoring at a higher rate in the KHL than Ovy or Malkin did at age 18.

Oilers made out like massive bandits winning the lottery and getting Yakupov and then getting the young d-man of need too in Schultz for basically free. Jack pot.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Oshie97

It hard to put value on someone who has not played a single NHL game but you know has talent and could be a solid player in the future.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
It hard to put value on someone who has not played a single NHL game but you know has talent and could be a solid player in the future.
Yakupov's value is going to be very high, look at the forward's drafted no.1 the last 7-8 years. Which one of them are merely "solid players"?

No team is going to trade a blue-chip prospect like that unless the return is monstrous.

There's a very, very high chance Yakupov is a superstar/All-Star caliber player for many years and the next big Russian star in the NHL.

Last edited by Soundwave: 10-26-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:17 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
My gut tells me SJ wins that, especially with Clowe's contract status. I'm not as high on Yak as I was on Hall but he's sure looking good in the KHL. Couture would be GREAT though, and I understand you have to give to get.
I think Clowe would sign with Edmonton. He'd be with his 'cub' (he literally referred to himself as 'papa bear' and Couture as 'baby bear' in an interview last year, it was strange ), he'd be in Canada, he'd know Edmonton gives him a great shot at a Cup.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I love Couture, obviously, but I personally think that he's not true #1C material, nor is he a franchise player. A young, franchise player is exactly what we desperately need. I'm also quite low on Clowe, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I liked your first deal. Not sure if I would have done it, but it was a very good proposal for HF! This one not so much.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:27 PM
CSimpson18

Couture, Clowe and SJ 1st (in full year lockout) for Yakupov, Pajaarvi?

Old
10-26-2012, 05:48 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Not too complicated to figure....
One is a 27 year old Vet the other is an 18 year old rookie.
How many points did Ovi put up as a rookie in the NHL? Yeah -- that's what I thought.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote