HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Wow, what a bunch of complete nonsense.

Are you going to sit here and argue that pro hockey players contribute more to society than teachers? Or even that being a hockey player is harder? Playing hockey is harder than teaching children and young adults?
The original argument was that drydenwasthebest thought that becoming a teacher was harder than making the NHL. Many laughs ensued and we moved on.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Well there goes November. Thanks alot. I started out in the corner with the players but now I'm in the corner of the owners.

Does the NHLPA or Fehr know the meaning of negotiate? Buncha jack gases.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I know a way to get this thing going very very soon.
fans should organize a small protest in each NHL city. invite the new people. let the fans stand in front of the area and start burning team jerseys. Can you imagine NATIONAL COVERAGE of scenes of wild fans screaming " death to the NHL" while burning jerseys.
No if that does not makes things move.
Why do people think that they can influence this process...

organizing protest, or embargo's of NHL products, etc...has very little effect on what their current negotiation war is about.

Fans need to realize one thing...owners AND players do NOT care about fans. They say they do, but they don't really. They're just like all of us, they care about what affects them and their own bottom line.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

organizing protest, or embargo's of NHL products, etc...has very little effect on what their current negotiation war is about.

Fans need to realize one thing...owners AND players do NOT care about fans. They say they do, but they don't really. They're just like all of us, they care about what affects them and their own bottom line.
I'd say the fellas playing in the charity tour maybe care a little bit more than others. At least they weren't taking up spots in other leagues. IDK I'd give those guys a little bit more credit.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Well there goes November. Thanks alot. I started out in the corner with the players but now I'm in the corner of the owners.

Does the NHLPA or Fehr know the meaning of negotiate? Buncha jack gases.
How any can choose sides in this battle of multi millionaires/billionaires is beyond me.

Also, both sides do know about negotiation...stalemates and posturing are unfortunately for fans, a part of the negotiation process.

This process involves two parties, the owners and the players...everything outside of that, fans, concession employees, etc, have NOTHING to do with this negotiation. I'm not sure why fans feel the owners/players need to care about how this effects fans...

They don't...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I'd say the fellas playing in the charity tour maybe care a little bit more than others. At least they weren't taking up spots in other leagues. IDK I'd give those guys a little bit more credit.
Pfffttt!!! That's great for PR, which seems to be the only thing players in this situation care about.

But don't fool yourself, this is about their bottom line...it's not about entertaining fans by playing a game and getting paid to do what they love to do.

We are unfortunate pawns in a game of high stakes poker between two parties who have more money then they know what to do with.

I'm not giving the players any credit...nor am I hurt or effected by this lockout. It'll end when it will end. Obviously, the issue between the players/owners is much, much bigger then my need to watch hockey and be entertained.

Neither the owners, nor the player care about fans...they care about the money that goes into their pockets and they know that even if they miss an entire year, you'll all be back ready to put more money into their pockets all over again

Last edited by 417: 10-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
This Sunday, in front of the Bell Centre, at noon!
ok it's a deal, but one thing though can you lend me a habs sweater

Old
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Seriously a protest? Oh lord. If you are going to take time to protest, please do it about something more universal and a protest which benefits everyone. Nothing screams "first world problems" more than protesting because you are not getting your entertainment right now.
Jeez lol no kidding...and nevermind that it's a complete waste of time.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
RC51

Quote:

ok, well have you ever seen a peaceful hockey demonstration in Montreal? When the crazies start throwing bricks through the Bell Center glass on National TV, are you telling me the Players won't care?, the Owners won't care? the NHL won't care?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
How any can choose sides in this battle of multi millionaires/billionaires is beyond me.

Also, both sides do know about negotiation...stalemates and posturing are unfortunately for fans, a part of the negotiation process.

This process involves two parties, the owners and the players...everything outside of that, fans, concession employees, etc, have NOTHING to do with this negotiation. I'm not sure why fans feel the owners/players need to care about how this effects fans...

They don't...
They probably wont need to worry about how the negotiations affect the fans but they certainly will have to think about what the lockout as a whole does to the image of the sport. By coming off as whiny unsatisfied babies getting paid millions to basically play a game, you might have fans move on to something else, especially in cities where hockey is already not a big deal, some teams cannot afford this.

Think if two or so teams fall as a result of this waste of energy, I'm pretty sure this has an impact on the fans, and is a direct result of players and league not trying to find a quick solution to the problem.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
ok, well have you ever seen a peaceful hockey demonstration in Montreal? When the crazies start throwing bricks through the Bell Center glass on National TV, are you telling me the Players won't care?, the Owners won't care? the NHL won't care?
lol no...they won't

bricks through the Bell Center glass is not the reason why negotiations are at an impasse. That's a ridiculous notion.

This is about a 3.3B bag of cash and how to split it between 30 owners and 700+ NHL players...not your, or my yearning for NHL hockey.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
They probably wont need to worry about how the negotiations affect the fans but they certainly will have to think about what the lockout as a whole does to the image of the sport. By coming off as whiny unsatisfied babies getting paid millions to basically play a game, you might have fans move on to something else, especially in cities where hockey is already not a big deal, some teams cannot afford this. Think if two or so teams fall as a result of this waste of energy, I'm pretty sure this has an impact on the fans, and is a direct result of players and league not trying to find a quick solution to the problem.
Agreed...but that's obviously a risk they are willing to take.

And when the time comes where they get a deal done and they have to 'mend fences' with scorned hockey fans, they'll do what needs to be done, at least temporarily, to make sure that's accomplished.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Agreed...but that's obviously a risk they are willing to take.

And when the time comes where they get a deal done and they have to 'mend fences' with scorned hockey fans, they'll do what needs to be done, at least temporarily, to make sure that's accomplished.
Says the poster who just knew Markov would be back in November of 2012 with know ill effects.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Says the poster who just knew Markov would be back in November of 2012 with know ill effects.
I'm not even sure what to respond to this...how you've managed to correlate Markov's injury to a discussion about how the NHL will reconnect with its fans following the lockout is beyond me.

BTW - November of 2012? What are you even talking about? I'm totally lost...I know it sucks to not have hockey, but there is life outside of watching hockey man. Maybe try reconnecting with your family, find a girlfriend/boyfriend, anything man...you're speaking in tongues

Give me a break...as soon as the NHL is back, we'll all be back to watching games and spending money on their products. Hell, we're on a freaking hockey message boards. They're are not concerned with losing hard core fans like us. And the one's they do lose, probably never were real fans in the first place...and they'll hire some firm to help them come up with some marketing plan to get even more fans back.

Get real man...These guys are fighting over a 3.3B bag of cash, you think they care if you stop buying Habs mugs at the local corner store, please

Last edited by 417: 10-26-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Personally...nothing annoys me more than seeing these press releases from Bettman/Daly and Fehr where they're basically throwing shots at each other through the media.

Why they need to have fans/media believe who is wrong/right baffles me...take the time you need, get a deal done. I really don't need to know who is being unreasonable.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
I'm not even sure what to respond to this...how you've managed to correlate Markov's injury to a discussion about how the NHL will reconnect with its fans following the lockout is beyond me.

BTW - November of 2012? What are you even talking about? I'm totally lost...I know it sucks to not have hockey, but there is life outside of watching hockey man. Maybe try reconnecting with your family, find a girlfriend/boyfriend, anything man...you're speaking in tongues

Give me a break...as soon as the NHL is back, we'll all be back to watching games and spending money on their products. Hell, we're on a freaking hockey message boards. They're are not concerned with losing hard core fans like us. And the one's they do lose, probably never were real fans in the first place...and they'll hire some firm to help them come up with some marketing plan to get even more fans back.

Get real man...These guys are fighting over a 3.3B bag of cash, you think they care if you stop buying Habs mugs at the local corner store, please
Bold # 1 My bad.........2011. LOL Edited to add the correlation. It's the know it all attitude just as it was then. And as it turned out your jibberish wasn't quite on target.

Bold # 2 You lost me there. You seem just as guilty. Check your post count vs. mine. LOL

Bold # 3 Speak for yourself.

Adios................need to go make my football picks.

Enjoy..............

Last edited by swimmer77: 10-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Pfffttt!!! That's great for PR, which seems to be the only thing players in this situation care about.

But don't fool yourself, this is about their bottom line...it's not about entertaining fans by playing a game and getting paid to do what they love to do.

We are unfortunate pawns in a game of high stakes poker between two parties who have more money then they know what to do with.

I'm not giving the players any credit...nor am I hurt or effected by this lockout. It'll end when it will end. Obviously, the issue between the players/owners is much, much bigger then my need to watch hockey and be entertained.

Neither the owners, nor the player care about fans...they care about the money that goes into their pockets and they know that even if they miss an entire year, you'll all be back ready to put more money into their pockets all over again
That's basically my stance as well. It'll end when it'll end, and I'll be back.

I just feel bad for the people working staff positions, who are affected by this mess. Its one thing to get laid off because your company is no longer competitive, ... it's quite another to get laid off because an entity can't decide how to share 3.3B dollars in revenue. That would anger me to no end. I'm sure there are a whole bunch of complimentary industries affected too.

On a lesser note, I'm still a sports fan that likes to tune into sportscentre, or listen to sports radio during the drive home, and I am already so sick of hearing all the lockout rhetoric, and Bettman saying that nobody is more devastated by the lockout than he is.... gimme a break. So even if I try avoiding the lockout updates, it's always circulating around me!

Old
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Personally...nothing annoys me more than seeing these press releases from Bettman/Daly and Fehr where they're basically throwing shots at each other through the media.

Why they need to have fans/media believe who is wrong/right baffles me...take the time you need, get a deal done. I really don't need to know who is being unreasonable.
What pisses me off the most is that ridiculous grin they always have on each other's faces. Like "lockout? Lol....watch me leave in my Bentley". No rush, no sense of urgency. Bettman is especially guilty of this, even if the owners have the advantage at this specific moment, he should be forced to move on after this lockout passes. It is unacceptable for a league to go through 3 lockouts in less than 10 years IMO.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Kirk Muller

Wow, Laraque on hockey central at noon talking about the CHLPA is absolutely laughable.

The guy has no real answers. As simple as what the membership count he was completely unable to answer. Heck, he didnt even understand the questions.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
What pisses me off the most is that ridiculous grin they always have on each other's faces. Like "lockout? Lol....watch me leave in my Bentley". No rush, no sense of urgency. Bettman is especially guilty of this, even if the owners have the advantage at this specific moment, he should be forced to move on after this lockout passes. It is unacceptable for a league to go through 3 lockouts in less than 10 years IMO.
I don't buy that Bettman is anymore guilty than the 30 owners he represents or the 700 + NHL players also involved in this.

It's not about who is more to blame...it's about grown men not being able to put egos aside to split 3.3B dollars. It's absolutely ludicrous if you ask me.

And they're using the media to draw fans on their sides of the battle and people actually buy into this...

I don't care about who is right or who is wrong...if they spent as much time on the media rhetoric as they did trying to negotiate a deal, we might actually have a season this year.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

The disparities in revenue and interest throughout the continent is so vast compared to the NFL, NBA, and MLB. I dont know why the NHL felt like they could pull off a 30 team league when a league like the NBA, which is infinitely more popular, has trouble sustaining the same amount of clubs.

Over expansion is the culprit for these work stoppages. The owners took in the short term gain of expansion fees, but failed to see all the pitfalls that were going to come with it in the big picture. Mass expansion began in the early to mid 90's. How many of those teams are a rousing success from a financial standpoint? The NHL already had trouble with a few teams before that particular expansion started.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

They don't...
People who flip flop between which side they are on simply don't understand what is going on. IMO it was a foregone conclusion that this dispute would last until the last possible second which is probably January 1st. I don't think either side is prepared to lose the season but in order to truly determine each other's bottom line they have to drag it out as far as possible.

While I completely agree with your first sentence I have to disagree on the assumption that all owners and players don't care about the fans. If you think that the owners of non-traditional hockey markets are sleeping soundly because they are positive that they will return to packed houses you are kidding yourself. It is a delicate process as these are the teams that have the most to gain and the most to lose in these negotiations. By extension, the players have to care, as many of them are employed by these same franchises that are playing Russian roulette with their shaky fanbases.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Wow, Laraque on hockey central at noon talking about the CHLPA is absolutely laughable.

The guy has no real answers. As simple as what the membership count he was completely unable to answer. Heck, he didnt even understand the questions.
The dude is an idiot. A real one.

His education is limited and so is his knowledge.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Bold # 1 My bad.........2011. LOL Edited to add the correlation. It's the know it all attitude just as it was then. And as it turned out your jibberish wasn't quite on target.

Bold # 2 You lost me there. You seem just as guilty. Check your post count vs. mine. LOL

Bold # 3 Speak for yourself.

Adios................need to go make my football picks.

Enjoy..............
Know it all attitude? Hmmm...sorry, i'm just not as naive apparently.

NHL players and owners don't know who the hell I am...why am I to assume they care about my feelings as it relates to the lockout. It's utterly ridiculous to think that either sides cares about fans feelings, or the feelings of the people employed by the NHL, or the businesses that depend on the NHL to survive.

They don't care...they care about their own bottom line. And there's nothing wrong with that, I don't take it personally. It shouldn't be any other way.

I'm personally more annoyed by the self-righteous attitude of players...at least I know the owners are some greedy mother******s, they don't try to hide it. But reading some of the comments by players on twitter, where they actually try to gain fan sympathy to their plight is sickening.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
People who flip flop between which side they are on simply don't understand what is going on. IMO it was a foregone conclusion that this dispute would last until the last possible second which is probably January 1st. I don't think either side is prepared to lose the season but in order to truly determine each other's bottom line they have to drag it out as far as possible.

While I completely agree with your first sentence I have to disagree on the assumption that all owners and players don't care about the fans. If you think that the owners of non-traditional hockey markets are sleeping soundly because they are positive that they will return to packed houses you are kidding yourself. It is a delicate process as these are the teams that have the most to gain and the most to lose in these negotiations. By extension, the players have to care, as many of them are employed by these same franchises that are playing Russian roulette with their shaky fanbases.
I choose not to be as naive (not saying you are either)...furthermore, I don't need owners/players to 'care' about me either. We don't know each other. They provide a service of entertainment for me. They care about the money I earn, they don't care about what I have to do to earn it lol...its pretty ridiculous to think that they care. They're also not worrying about how a 4th lockout in the last 20 years will affect their bottom line because the NHL is as big of business today as it ever was. There's no fear of fan repercussion...and fans 'threatening' to not come back or take action just gives them more reason to believe that fans will be back.

The only thing that would fear owners/players...is complete apathy...not passion in the form of protests or embargos of their products

What they care about is money in their pockets (and there's nothing wrong with that mind you)...that's why we are where we are today.

Closed Thread