HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colborne vs. Frattin

View Poll Results: If you can only choose 1 of these 2 in your team, who would you rather have?
Colborne 46 35.38%
Frattin 84 64.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
MapleReef

vCash: 500
Watch out for Frattin having a breakout year. He will always play like he has got something to prove and that is a Burke type player. Just needs a good start and lookout.

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Who do you think is better and will be more helpful for the leafs?

I choose Colborne because he has more upside and seems like he would be better in the long run. Frattin is strong but Colborne is huge too.
I also picked Colborne. I have read most of the posters that picked Frattin, but they say Colborne is not strong and not a great skater.

That is totally not true. Colborne will fill out like all the big boys do after a few seasons. As for skating, he is fairly agile for a big kid and he has breakaway speed as shown in these last few Marlies games. He has about the same vision as Frattin. But IMO, Colbornes upside and ceiling is much bigger than Frattin. Plus, he is a center.

A few other points. He is big AND uses his size. We have had tall people before that were soft like Poni. Colborne crashes and is not afraid to drop the mits. He seems to be making strides to become a player similar to Lucic or Getzlaf.

Before I get flamed for saying that, I am saying he is as good as either of those monsters, but he could get close. Who knows, maybe better with the proper development.

These are my opinions, so please keep your flaming to yourself.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Colborne is a shy player. I frequent Marlies games and hes not one for getting involved physically. He doesnt have the ability to drive to the net. He needs to watch Jamie Benn play puck, kid is a beat. Very similarily built and talented yet one is a man and the other is a boy.

Actually, Eakins said in one of his pressers that he was very happy with Colbornes aggression.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
We have a huge need for bottom 6 wingers? I like Frattin, but I don't think he's particularly necessary beyond being cool and making sure Lombardi doesn't come back lol.
So.....you think Colborne is a winger.....ok. Good stuff here, always puts a smile on my face.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Fogelhund

If I had to pick just one, I go with Colborne.

I agree that Frattin is further ahead, and if he continues his pace, "might" make the top six... barely, but more likely a third liner with some offensive upside. I really like the way he plays and his effort.

As others have stated, Colborne is a 23, and a BIG body. I think he potentially has more upside. I think he can become a very good #2 C at some point, but I don't know if he'll become that. His passing is great, just look at that pass the other day to Komarov. His skating isn't as bad as is said by some... Great for in front of the net... look at how he screened for that goal the other night. If he can play more consistently, and get going after most of last year injured... watch out. 3 points in 5 games isn't bad. None of our forwards have been producing GREAT yet on the Marlies... kind of being help up by the D. Give it a few more games this season, and I think he'll get it going again.

Getting a borderline second line winger, more likely third line winger, is a lot easier than finding a good second line C.

I'd like to see a line with Kadri, Colborne and Frattin on a regular basis.. bet that is a line that does some damage.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:50 PM
TheSilencer

Colborne.

I still like him as a prospect. He has excellent hands for a big man, and i thought he was pretty decent in NHL when he got chance. He just needs to fill out his frame, and we'll start seeing more results.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Who do you think is better and will be more helpful for the leafs?

I choose Colborne because he has more upside and seems like he would be better in the long run. Frattin is strong but Colborne is huge too.
I'm just not sold on this Colborne kid, if he were THAT good Boston would have kept him instead of chucking him away. IMO I think Frattin is better, he has a heavy shot, he has fast wheels, solid hitter and amazing lower body strength basically he has the potential to be a 25-30g powerforward 2nd liner if it plays out right.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:36 AM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Frattin. He is a lot like Kulemin wherein if he can't play top six, he'll be awesome in the bottom six. Once he starts using his body more, he'll be a dominant force on the ice. Also has a great shot and has proven much more than Colborne in less amount of time.

Colborne? I have zero faith in him, I see him topping out as Steckel 2.0. I hope he proves me wrong.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
gabeliscious

i think colborne has the higher ceiling and better shot at actually becoming a full time leaf despite frattins head start.

leafs have very few center prospects. that means colborne doesnt need to beat out too many players for a roster spot on the leafs when the time comes.

in contrast the leafs are pretty set with their top 6 wingers for the next few years and im not sure frattins defensive game is good enough for a 3rd line checking roll. i like the kid a lot and i want him to do well but i just see him as getting moved in a trade to address an need more then fitting in long term

our top 6 wingers are something like lupul-kessel and jvr - kulemin/mac. i can see the argument that mac will likely be gone sooner then later and kulemin might be a better 3rd line winger so there could be a spot in the top 6. i just dont see frattin as an upgrade on anyone at the moment.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:24 AM
zeke
#freewilly

I'm willing to give Colborne a mulligan for last year with the injuries, but he has to pick it up and play like he did last game with some consistency if I ever want to believe he'll be more than a borderline NHL bottom line player.

Of course, I've never been an Eakins fan, and hate the way he lines up his forwards and distributes ice time among them. I wish he would just stick his best offensive players together, keep them there for a while even when they struggle, and hand them tons of minutes. It would help us get a much better read on what they are.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Ferjo

I just had to re-write this post because I made it seem like Joe Colborne kicked my dog or something, so I'll put it shorter and nicer than I orignally had it.

Frattin. I'd pick Matt Frattin.

Ferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Crabovski*

Frattin by a lot. Colborne has been nothing but a disappointment thus far (IMO)

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote