HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

P. Kane for OEL

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 11:54 AM
DontToewzMeBro

vCash: 500
Kane>>>OEL

Kane is a solid teammate btw.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Kane>>>OEL

Kane is a solid teammate btw.
Yeah..I think people confuse immaturity off the ice, as we all have, and how he responds in the locker room. They are two completely separate things.

As for value, I can't say it's that far and away. I think for Chicago, Kane holds more value than OEL. Across the league, no way. OEL is a very very rare talent. Kane has tremendous offensive capability, but I take OEL for my team 10/10 times.

It's really hard to gauge all the value due to comparing apples/oranges here.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Yeah..I think people confuse immaturity off the ice, as we all have, and how he responds in the locker room. They are two completely separate things.

As for value, I can't say it's that far and away. I think for Chicago, Kane holds more value than OEL. Across the league, no way. OEL is a very very rare talent. Kane has tremendous offensive capability, but I take OEL for my team 10/10 times.

It's really hard to gauge all the value due to comparing apples/oranges here.
What has OEL done to merit such praise? I'm quite baffled at the accolades he seems to be getting for some time, is it because people don't watch him and believe the hype? I admit I can't watch Phoenix where I am, so I am judging purely based on stats, and by that alone he didn't have a better rookie season than say Gardiner who was equivalent in every way statistically but on a lottery team.

Someone explain this to me?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What has OEL done to merit such praise? I'm quite baffled at the accolades he seems to be getting for some time, is it because people don't watch him and believe the hype? I admit I can't watch Phoenix where I am, so I am judging purely based on stats, and by that alone he didn't have a better rookie season than say Gardiner who was equivalent in every way statistically but on a lottery team.

Try watching hockey games with him playing?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
OEL has this wierd cult following of intensely passionate fans who insist he's the next coming.

He certainly hasn't proven enough to be considered more valuable than Patrick Kane, an elite offensive winger with a cup ring and a PPG in the playoffs.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Memento
Missourian.

Quote:

Speaking as a Blues fan who has watched a fair amount of Coyotes games, OEL is a lot like Pietrangelo in their style of play. You don't see how good they are by comparing stats; it's what they do on the ice, on every shift, every play, that matters. Like Pietrangelo, OEL is an extremely cerebral player who sees the ice on a different level than most players. His hockey sense is off the charts, and it's very rare to see him make a bad play.

You don't judge guys like Pietrangelo and OEL on mere stats, just like you could never fully judge Lidstrom on stats. He has top ten talent. Gardiner's stats may be similar, but his overall production is not at the same level of Ekman-Larsson's.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
Speaking as a Blues fan who has watched a fair amount of Coyotes games, OEL is a lot like Pietrangelo in their style of play. You don't see how good they are by comparing stats; it's what they do on the ice, on every shift, every play, that matters. Like Pietrangelo, OEL is an extremely cerebral player who sees the ice on a different level than most players. His hockey sense is off the charts, and it's very rare to see him make a bad play.

You don't judge guys like Pietrangelo and OEL on mere stats, just like you could never fully judge Lidstrom on stats. He has top ten talent. Gardiner's stats may be similar, but his overall production is not at the same level of Ekman-Larsson's.
That's interesting... thanks. I wonder how they compare in advanced stats. And now I'm dying to watch some OEL because this is high praise by mentioning Lids and to a lesser extent Piets whom I have seen to see if this holds up.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Lebowski

I just can't believe how overrated OEL has become, and inversely, how underrated P. Kane has become.

Unbelievable.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Frank Gallagher
"Alcohol is a gift"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
If no OEL , why not Rundblad + ?
Why not Zoidberg?

Quote:
Nah, its OEL that's sickeningly overrated right now. Franchise D-man, wa?...
OEL is a legitimate candidate to be a Franchise D-man soon, if not now, so your post is more overrated than he.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
OEL is a legitimate candidate to be a Franchise D-man soon, if not now, so your post is more overrated than he.
Okay bud, I'm waiting.

Until I see him play I just don't think he's any more valuable than Gardiner in a trade.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Nah, its OEL that's sickeningly overrated right now. Franchise D-man, wa?...
THIS.

Holy crap, Franchise Dman? WOW. I mean yes the guy is looking pretty damn good right now, and could very well be a franchise Dman one day, but he's not even a #1 quite yet...

Kane hold a lot more value then OEL right now, Chicago passes, PHX should accept.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
crazyhawk

Not that I would want to see Kane go ( or Keith for that matter ) but since this is all for fun anyway how about :
Kane and Keith for OEL, Smith, Vermette and Yandle.
Coyotes get an all star winger and an all star #1 D
Hawks get an almost #1 D, a starting goalie, a second line center and a solid 3/4 D

Old
10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
If no OEL , why not Rundblad + ?
If not Kane, why not Saad+ for OEL?

Old
10-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I don't see Chicago doing this trade unless Phoenix adds.

And I love OEL.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
THIS.

Holy crap, Franchise Dman? WOW. I mean yes the guy is looking pretty damn good right now, and could very well be a franchise Dman one day, but he's not even a #1 quite yet...

Kane hold a lot more value then OEL right now, Chicago passes, PHX should accept.
I would say he is... His TOI/G was 2nd on the Coyotes behind Yandle (and only like 16 seconds less),except OEL's QoC was way higher, meaning he was used against the oppositions better players. Hes used in all situations unlike Yandle.

By the playoffs, he was averaging 25:46 a game, 3 minutes more than the next highest player. His team made it to the SC Semi Finals this year, he led their defence, and the teams one of the best defensive teams in th league.

He needs to up his offence a little, but he IS currently a #1 D on a team with good defensive depth, and given his age, vision, etc, its reasonable to expect he can significantly improve offensively to become a franchise guy.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
Not that I would want to see Kane go ( or Keith for that matter ) but since this is all for fun anyway how about :
Kane and Keith for OEL, Smith, Vermette and Yandle.
Coyotes get an all star winger and an all star #1 D
Hawks get an almost #1 D, a starting goalie, a second line center and a solid 3/4 D

Yandle is a great #2 D, okay #1 D. Maybe a little below Phaneuf in terms of value. Definitely not a second pairing guy

Old
10-26-2012, 03:49 PM
JayRosehillforMVP

OEL is the most overrated player on HFboards. I thought it was impossible to be more overrated than Ryan O'Reilly, but he proved me wrong. Patrick Kane is easily a top 10-15 forward in the league. He's 23 and still improving. He's set for a monster season and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up close to or over triple digits. Absolutely terrible for Chicago. Not saying OEL is bad, but he's nowhere close to Kane.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Oshie97

OEL is on an entry level contract while Kane is making some decent jack, Phx needs as many cheap effective players they can get so I don't see them doing this.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Despite PHX being loaded with young defensive talent, it seems like OEL would be the least likely (if at all) to be moved out of all of them. Kane for Yandle+ or Gormley++ seems more realistic imo.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

As a fan of neither team, if I had to pick one or the other, I'm picking OEL.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
I just can't believe how overrated OEL has become, and inversely, how underrated P. Kane has become.

Unbelievable.
I completely agree.

Patrick Kane could be that marketable player to replenish a franchise.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Stassino

What's going on here?

Kane>>OEL

Old
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I completely agree.

Patrick Kane could be that marketable player to replenish a franchise.
Kane doesn't exactly fit PHX's system.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:47 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Wait, wait, what? Aren't YOU the original poster? Haha.
Yeah. I wanted to see what other people thought. It's rare that the trade section has trades that are close in value so I wanted to see people's reactions.

My not wanting to trade Kane should be irrelevant to me making this thread

Old
10-27-2012, 10:03 AM
TurdFerguson

This is a site primarily geared towards prospects. Of course OEL is overrated...

Closed Thread