HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
That's 2 hosts they've railroaded in about a year's time. Torg was a big ratings success for them so there must have been tremendous pressure from somewhere to fire the guy.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:42 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
That's 2 hosts they've railroaded in about a year's time. Torg was a big ratings success for them so there must have been tremendous pressure from somewhere to fire the guy.
Maybe. Or maybe there were other issues.

I agree firing over this silly tweet seems excessive. People seem like they want to interpret this as Herbstreit and/or ESPN swinging some big stick. Maybe it is that, but it also is possible that Torg stepped into it in some way, so to speak, previously and already was on a short leash.

I certainly don't know either way but this strikes me as a potential case of seeing conspiracies when simpler explanations may exist.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Why go the probable route when a juicy conspiracy with lots of blame to assess is far more fun?

Old
10-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Response from Torg.

http://thetorgshow.com/

10-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Maybe. Or maybe there were other issues.

I agree firing over this silly tweet seems excessive. People seem like they want to interpret this as Herbstreit and/or ESPN swinging some big stick. Maybe it is that, but it also is possible that Torg stepped into it in some way, so to speak, previously and already was on a short leash.

I certainly don't know either way but this strikes me as a potential case of seeing conspiracies when simpler explanations may exist.

It was only 2 weeks ago or so that Ricordatti and Lori Schmidt tweeted about Torg winning the Radiohio employee of the quarter or something along those lines. They don't give those things away to people with 2 strikes or are currently knee high in the ****.

It's not much of a conspiracy.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
It was only 2 weeks ago or so that Ricordatti and Lori Schmidt tweeted about Torg winning the Radiohio employee of the quarter or something along those lines. They don't give those things away to people with 2 strikes or are currently knee high in the ****.

It's not much of a conspiracy.
Torg's response falls in line with the current thinking.

Like I said. Wasn't saying the current thinking was necessarily wrong.
Just pointing out there could be additional reasons - in part because, as I said earlier, the tweet itself was silly. Inappropriate but fairly innocuous. Suspend, sure. Fire, excessive

Old
10-24-2012, 10:19 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Rumors going around it was ESPN and Frosted Tips (Herbstreit). Wouldn't be surprised if it were the case actually considering everything that's gone on between CM/Torg always calling out Herby. Calling him a fake and what not. The tweet wasn't that great but it was in a joking manor. Suspend, yes. Fired, no.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-24-2012, 10:34 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I had no idea that Common Man & The Torg was the 2nd highest rated radio show in the country.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:18 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Interview from the Lantern. Sounds like Torg and his lawyer are going after Herbstreit.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/the...5#.UIlIsbE0WSo

Old
10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Interview from the Lantern. Sounds like Torg and his lawyer are going after Herbstreit.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/the...5#.UIlIsbE0WSo
This is a guy who's made a career of snarky attacks on athletes he's never met and who never had a chance to answer back and now he wants sympathy for finally being called to account for stepping completely over the line. Yes, it's too bad his wife is ill and he has kids. He's been supporting them by being an on-air jackass, now it appears they may suffer for it. As for Herbstreit, he didn't have to go behind anyone's back to undercut Torgeson, he did it openly, on the radio, for all to hear. Herbstreit works side by side with Howard on a daily basis and it should surprise noone that he took offense to what was said. That station is an affiliate of ESPN and this dip wished death on one of their on-air talents. Gee, that was sure to end well!

Now get rid of his even worse partner, Riccordati, and actually hire people who will acknowledge the station as the CBJ flagship and support it that way. Frankly, I'm not a fan of their type of "sports talk," so seeing someone pay for the type of vitriol that has annoyed me for so long pleases me greatly. I know I'm not the target demographic for these fools and, truly, I rarely listen unless I'm in the car and bored. Maybe if there was real hockey talk and knowledgeble Jackets info, I'd feel differently.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Was it a dumb thing to say by Torgerson? Absolutely. Whats even worse was the how 97.1 handled this situation though. You want to suspend the guy? Fine, no arguments, but if the plan was to fire him, it should have been done immediately instead of dragging this out with him on suspension, putting his listeners in limbo for a week in a half. Of course, this harkens back to a year and a half ago with Hooley's "dismissal" (fired, bought out, whatever you want to call it). I was never a Hooley fan and found him extremely crotchety, cranky, you typical former newspaper guy.

And honestly, I found some of the stuff Herbstreit said really distasteful. He opened his rant talking about how former OSU and Michigan players don't hate each other when that really had nothing to do with it. It almost felt like he was talking down to the central ohio audience once again. I'm not part of the crazy two percenters that would send death threats, but there called that just for that reason, they are the extreme minority.

I listened to these guys everyday I'm at work. I don't always agree with their opinions, but its better than listening to top 40 stuff all day and Torgerson was arguably, the only host at that station that had a true fondiness for Hockey.

Whats interesting is that I could never quite tolerate it too long when Torgerson was out and Ricordoti was by himself. And I realized that Torgerson, himself, couldn't keep the show on the rails when he hosted himself or with someone else.

I'm not some frat boy or the "lowest common denominator" that some would think those two pandered to. I like sports shows that would talk about sports like I do, not something completely out of touch with everyday people like Cowherd is.

Its a sad day for Columbus sports talk radio.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

Its a sad day for Columbus sports talk radio.
Columbus has been a never ending sad day for sports talk radio.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:54 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

And I liked Hooley and thought his firing was unjust because he shared my feelings toward OSU and Tressel and expressed it strongly, on the air! Just goes to show how very different we all are, here.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
And I liked Hooley and thought his firing was unjust because he shared my feelings toward OSU and Tressel and expressed it strongly, on the air! Just goes to show how very different we all are, here.
And thats perfectly fine, Pete. I'm more upset with the handling of the whole situation by the FAN in regards to this. As far as Hooley goes, Although I didn't like him, I thought the firing was pretty bushleague, but as with this, you can hardly blame the station (their partnership with OSU) and Herbstreit (toeing the ESPN line, standing up for one of his co-hosts) . I'm glad that Torgerson and his lawyer are at least kicking the the tires on if Herbstreit played a role in this, its certainly easy to conect the dots, given by whats been said and Herbstreits' connection to the situation.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
drawing a blank..who was the other one? haven't listened much to the Fan since I started using siriusXM

Old
10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Columbus has been a never ending sad day for sports talk radio.
Anyone besides me torturing themselves... er, listening long enough to remember Skip, Eric and Dom in the mornings?

Old
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
drawing a blank..who was the other one? haven't listened much to the Fan since I started using siriusXM
Bruce Hooley was fired because he made all the OSU fanboys cry with his constant criticism of Tressel.

Much more of a travesty than the Torg being fired, IMO.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This is a guy who's made a career of snarky attacks on athletes he's never met and who never had a chance to answer back
Not sure what you are trying to say. Harsh comments are made about players all the time. "He has no heart", etc. Torg is a bit of a tool, never liked him. Having said that I am surprised by his termination. I've heard comments like this before from other media types with little to no action. As I said, listen to comedians for a while and you hear stuff like this.

I said a while ago that Torg was a walking HR nightmare, he finally stepped into it big time.

I'm not going to defend what he said, but at the same time I also know that he didn't actually want Desmond to die.

Oh and Herbie is a tool, probably worse. I commented a couple of pages back how unprofessionally he handled this.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say. Harsh comments are made about players all the time. "He has no heart", etc. Torg is a bit of a tool, never liked him. Having said that I am surprised by his termination. I've heard comments like this before from other media types with little to no action. As I said, listen to comedians for a while and you hear stuff like this.

I said a while ago that Torg was a walking HR nightmare, he finally stepped into it big time.

I'm not going to defend what he said, but at the same time I also know that he didn't actually want Desmond to die.

Oh and Herbie is a tool, probably worse. I commented a couple of pages back how unprofessionally he handled this.
There's a huge different between being harsh and being a giant troll. And while he isn't quite Skip Bayless, Torg is pretty far towards the troll end of the "sports media personality" spectrum.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The rest of this post is spot-on as well, but this is the crux of the matter.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:44 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
I forgot about Hooley.

IMO, Hooley deserved it far more than Torgerson. Hooley was unbearably bitter and angry towards the end and was difficult to listen to. He was never a bag of peaches, but that was over the top. Hooley has always been one of those guys to dwell on the negative, sometimes overly so. I can remember hating his anti-Cooper rants in the Plain Dealer.

Torg, on the other hand, is a goof who made a stupid comment. I agree with blah in that it was inappropriate, yet, I don't know that anyone could seriously believe he meant or wished for what he said.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Guys, it's my fault. The only talk radio shows I've ever listened to on a regular basis (The Pam Stone Show v1 and v2, Matt and Ramona, Common Man and The Torg) have had something go awry with the makeup of the show.

And now for the longest non-CBJ-related post I've ever made here.

I'm torn here. I'm torn between "Oh come on, you know better, Torg..." and "Oh come on...really, everybody?". I see where the station is coming from with the punishment. They're doing the "right" thing.

But anybody who listens to the show knows that Torg is a self-admitted "dope" that, as blahblah said, didn't actually want anything evil to happen to Howard.

Does that give him a free pass for putting out that Tweet, especially when the show blasted the OSU QB for the "We ain't here to play school" Tweet a couple weeks before? Hell no. If it would've seemed to be legitimately malicious (i.e., "I want to kill him so my ESPN pre-game show is tolerable"), then send him to the Citgo.

But it seems as though (from Torg's "Citgo" blog) that things have smoothed over between he and the Howard family. Torg has apologized for his error, the family has accepted.

He's entertaining, he's the only guy on the station that seems to give two craps about the second largest sports entity in town and its league (and I listen more when they talk hockey. I even called the show to offer Umby/Kesler in the same locker room as an example of player rivalries. Ricordati didn't get it. T-Bone was co-hosting that day and bailed me out.). I want guys like Torg who would know what I was talking about without going "NO, YOU SHOULD USE A BUCKEYE REFERENCE".

Let him live. Bring him back on a four inch long leash which amounts to "You do that again and you'll be off to the McMurdo, Antarctica Citgo so fast Kirk Herbstreit will look on in awe." I can think of two incidents where TV figures were suspended for remarks which were more offensive than what Torg said. After some thought and review, one show came back on a "second chance" basis while the other came back on a different network.

Speaking of Herbie, he's got some of a 10,000+ supporter (and growing) mob on Facebook all fired up. Might hear some boos when Gameday comes to town for Michigan/OSU.

(And Bruce Hooley was fired because he spoke ill of Tressel and the school up 315? )

e- Two media personalities with comments that could be construed as more offensive but got their shows back.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 10-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 04:21 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Torg was just on with John Corby on 610 WTVN. Corby (and his co-host) both seem to be in the corner of "Who HASN'T messed up in their life?" and noted that they think he was actually smart for taking the Tweet down.

Corby also said he'd find it hard to believe that Herbstreit and/or ESPN didn't have some direct impact on the firing, as Torg had been told by management he'd be on the shelf for a week and brought back.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1100
They should bring him back for one show. Let him interview the woman the Herbie had his affair with, and see how self righteous the golden boy is then.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

My high school alma mater, Maysville, made the playoffs for the first time ever tonight. I'm convinced the world is ending this year.

Closed Thread