HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 06:12 PM
hockeygeek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He is no longer draft eligible. This 'stock' you keep referencing does not even exist.
Tell that to his agent

Old
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Tell that to his agent
He already will receive a max ELC, what difference does it make? None.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
The problem with Galchenyuk is if he scores an end to end highlight real goal does that mean he's an NHL player? I mean, should he then give himself a high five and scream "I kicked those kid's ass! Did you see that 16 year old, 5'8 160lbs kid bounce off me?!!!" He's the 3rd overall pick, he should be dominating junior hockey. There's no winning for him in Junior, and if there is it's going to be More than a highlight that makes him look good.
Excuse me? What is that based on?

Quote:
It means we are saying the same thing. Let's try another analogy to help. You know what a stock is right? Right now his stock is very high, he was drafted 3rd overall. Is being a top 10 scorer in the OHL going to raise his stock? No, because that is what he is supposed to do. So to sum it up for you, he's a very good player (which sounds like what you are begging to hear) but scoring an end to end highlight goal or being a top scorer in the OHL won't quiet his critics because that is what he should be doing but god help him if he finishes outside the top 10 in OHL scoring. Which is to say no matter what he does in the OHL he can't win. A strong WJC on the other hand will help him quite a bit.

Galchenyuk fans are very sensitive.
Top 10 in overall scoring means very little in the CHL. Why? Because players that sit among the top scorers are older players with no international duties, and/or don't miss games to injury.

PPG is a much better indicator if you want to just judge everything on stats instead of watching a player play.

Last edited by That: 10-26-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: quote got deleted by accident when posting.
Old
10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I just think the Habs will play him on the big team if they think he could help contribute offensively AND if he has nothing else to learn in the AHL or CHL.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:31 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Excuse me? What is that based on?

Top 10 in overall scoring means very little in the CHL. Why? Because players that sit among the top scorers are older players with no international duties, and/or don't miss games to injury.

PPG is a much better indicator if you want to just judge everything on stats instead of watching a player play.
How do you start by disagreeing with me then explain yourself by agreeing with me? Points don't mean everything just ask Justin Azevedo.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
That

Quote:
How do you start by disagreeing with me then explain yourself by agreeing with me? Points don't mean everything just ask Justin Azevedo.
Read my edited post. I accidentally deleted the quote when rearranging my post.

The first half of the post was dedicated to that comment by you.

The second half is more of a general post, to point out that being 10 in scoring doesn't mean much because there's other factors.

Last edited by overlords: 10-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Admittedly, I have not seen a ton of him, but I would compare Galchenyuk to Patrice Bergeron. Parallels below:

- 6'1; 200(ish)
- competitive players
- good defensive centers
- favor passing, but can shoot
- very strong on skates
- very good hands and control of puck
- consistent, but not prolific scorers

I could see Galchenyuk being a bit better of an offensive player, but there would be no shame if he ends up exactly like Bergeron.
When he's on his game he plays a lot like Jagr the way he protects the puck down low. The closest compairson for him is Bobby Ryan, Ryan however, has more "baby-fat?" while Gally will have more muscle. Ryan does have slicker hands and is more creative though.

I see Galchenyuk, if he reaches his potential, putting up Toews like numbers (But will not have half the defensieve game). You can expect him to be around ~70 points year-in and year-out IF he reaches his potential. A #1C, but not elite.

To the poster who says he will probably play around 230, are you kidding me, do you know how big that is? He will probably be 6'1 210-15 MAX in the NHL. He seems to have a sort of hunch back kind of like Lucic, not sure if anyone else has noticed that, it looks like he pushes his head forward and has a tiny neck.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
As for next season, we'll see. I don't think we can really tell at this point. If he kills the OHL this year, then yes, another season in juniors would be overkill. If he keep up his current pace, it would depends on team needs. I wouldn't bring him over if I can't guarantee him top 6 minutes and PP time.
Yeah, we will have to see how this season, and his preparation over the summer go. However, I think his progression has been incredible in the past month. Things tend to tighten up in the OHL late in the season, however, I think he's going to force the habs hands next year.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
That

Now, to actually add something to the conversation.

I'd personally compare him to a centre version of Marian Hossa.

They both are great skaters who have high top end speed, have great vision, and incredible hands. They both also possess very good defensive games and never are looking down at the puck. Both Hossa and Galchenyuk are both very strong on the puck and win a lot of puck battles by being very smart with their stick.

I doubt he'll score a 100 points like Hossa did, but similar players regardless. I'd say his upside is probably around 70 points. He could potentially put up more if surrounded by very talented wingers.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

They both are great skaters who have high top end speed, have great vision, and incredible hands. They both also possess very good defensive games and never are looking down at the puck. Both Hossa and Galchenyuk are both very strong on the puck and win a lot of puck battles by being very smart with their stick.

I doubt he'll score a 100 points like Hossa did, but similar players regardless. I'd say his upside is probably around 70 points. He could potentially put up more if surrounded by very talented wingers.
Yup.

Also, Marian Hossa scored 100 points and 90 points in the two highest scoring years in recent history. I kind of have a beef with saying "x point player." Talking of overall averages gives kind of an inaccurate picture of what it is a player is capable of in a given season. We should specify a variance. I can definitely see Galchenyuk having an 80, or 90 point season if he reaches his potential. I think "70 points" will be right around his career average.

However, that projection can depend on many things. Rule changes can lead to huge scoring increases, and certain players becoming much more valuable. Who thought Henrik would score 112 points back in 2003?

Old
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Andy

Galchenyuk finished with a 3 point game this afternoon. He now has 21 points in 15 games.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Another 3 point game today from Gally.

kid is still just warming up.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Leviathan

Should have a good shot at winning the scoring title. But I could see Schiefele or Strome doing that. Outside shots to Monahan, Domi and McDavid.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:18 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Should have a good shot at winning the scoring title. But I could see Schiefele or Strome doing that. Outside shots to Monahan, Domi and McDavid.
My guess is a overager, Nick Cousins maybe. But wow he really came around from such a slow start.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:34 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I love Gally and it pains me to say that as a Leafs fan. The only thing Gally concerns me with is his consistency.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
CP31

He's only been held pointless 3 times this year

Old
10-29-2012, 12:20 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I love Gally and it pains me to say that as a Leafs fan. The only thing Gally concerns me with is his consistency.
My only concern with him is whether he'll get back his goal-scoring prowess from his rookie season. He scored some absolutely sick goals that year. Today's goal is this first one that had some dirtyness to it this year. Most of his goals have been either greasy rebound goals, or little one-timers.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Habsfan18

Gally dominating against Plymouth tonight. 2 goals and an assist through 2 periods bringing his point total to 24 in 17 games.

edit: another assist. 4 point night. That's 25 points in 17 games.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-03-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Gally dominating against Plymouth tonight. 2 goals and an assist through 2 periods bringing his point total to 24 in 17 games.
Love this pick by Montreal.

Such a bright future ahead for the Habs.

Nice young core in Galchenyuk, Pacs, Price, and Subban

Old
11-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post

Yup! Add the 2013 1st rounder and the 3 2nd rounders lolllll

Old
11-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Been doing this since preedraft... He's an exact copy.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post

Agreed, as much as it pains me to say this as a Leafs fans, Habs have basically got all three main covered as opposed to us, potential #1 C, #1 D, and #1G. We only have a potential #1 D ATM.

I think Gally will be the 2nd best player to come out of this draft, personally.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:34 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Galchenyuk tonight:

https://twitter.com/antontibaldi

Old
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Thanks... much appreciated.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
So eager to see him play for the Canadiens. He's starting to dominate again and proving he's worth of the 3rd overall pick!

Closed Thread