HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Whose side were you on, whose side are you on now

View Poll Results: Whose side?
Started Player side, still Player side 70 23.57%
Started Owner side, still Owner side 159 53.54%
Started Player side, now Owner side 59 19.87%
Started Owner side, now Player side 9 3.03%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
  #1
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Whose side were you on, whose side are you on now

Just curious. Obviously we are all on the fans side. And I realize some may not be on either side. But for those of you that have found one side to be more justified and/or reasonable in their position:

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
  #2
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell
 
JustGivingEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,476
vCash: 50
I started on the players side, but really I'm in the middle now.
Neither the NHL or the NHLPA has really done anything to get a deal done.



If I had to pick I guess I'd still say I'm on the players side, but really only because I've become huge fans of a lot of these players and I can't just go against them all of a sudden.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
  #3
Rpro
Registered User
 
Rpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
I was on the owners side at the start, but certainly nowhere near the same level that I was in '04. However as these negotiations continue I find myself leaning more and more towards the owners. The last proposal was something that the PA could have worked on but instead they dismissed it and continued with their push of a non-linked system that they know full well will be rejected by the owners.

When this is all finished we all know how it will end. Now we wait and see how long it takes the players to realize it and get the best deal they can under the owners terms.

Rpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
  #4
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
The financials/numbers of the league just scream "reasonable" to the way the owners have negotiated and "shooting self in foot" to what the players are doing.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
  #5
CK17
Registered User
 
CK17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Started owners, went to the players after the owners ridiculous 43% offer, been owners after their next offer and the PA refusal to talk the same language.

IF the PA would of offered a gradual drop to 50%(54-52-50 etc) and Bettman wouldn't of even negotiate it and I would of gone back to the players. However since they're insisting on the dream notion of only giving back future growth they can rot. Owners till the end.

CK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
  #6
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,633
vCash: 50
I am on nobodys side.
except for the real losers in all this. the fans.

everyone else can go screw themselves.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  #7
LukeD
On Fire
 
LukeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Neither are being very appealing to the other.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:07 PM
  #8
SharksFan1
Registered User
 
SharksFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am on nobodys side.
except for the real losers in all this. the fans.

everyone else can go screw themselves.
Don't forget about all the employees of the arenas and teams, and the surrounding businesses that are loosing money and/or jobs because of this. There are people loosing their livelihoods which is much more important than use fans missing some entertainment.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:08 PM
  #9
Oshie97
Registered User
 
Oshie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
The moment the NHLPA refused to negotiate during the season last year I went to the owners side and have never thought I was picking the wrong side.


Last edited by Oshie97: 10-26-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:09 PM
  #10
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions
 
Dragon Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metalheaven
Country: United States
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am on nobodys side.
except for the real losers in all this. the fans.

everyone else can go screw themselves.
Can't say I disagree here.

Dragon Priest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:10 PM
  #11
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions
 
Dragon Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metalheaven
Country: United States
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
Don't forget about all the employees of the arenas and teams, and the surrounding businesses that are loosing money and/or jobs because of this. There are people loosing their livelihoods which is much more important than use fans missing some entertainment.
And this as well.

Dragon Priest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
  #12
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
im not really on either side, nor the fans side.

i'm on the side that wants the NHL to be a healthy, growing, business for every team. This has left me more frustrated with the owners currently than I am with the players, because the players are at least doing what would be expected: try to get as much money as possible, but the owners do not appear to be interested in fixing the systemic economic problems that exist in the league.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
  #13
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
The moment the NHLPA refused to negotiate during the season last year I went to the owners side and have thought I was picking the wrong side.
This... basically since the NHLPA hired Fehr then went into strategy mode of self destruction.

Quote from Fehr last year:
Quote:
Asked if the NHLPA wants this to be a revolutionary agreement or an evolutionary one – in other words, whether the union wants a new system or just adjustments to the current one – Fehr said:
“I’m not prepared to make that judgment yet because the players haven’t made it, and that’s an involved process. But everybody understands that trying to change something radically, unless both sides start from the premise that they want to, is much more problematic in terms of getting an agreement done than not.
Interesting. So even last year, when the NHLPA was refusing to start negotiations, Fehr was well aware that proposing drastic changes to the CBA would be problematic to getting a deal done...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:16 PM
  #14
ihaveyuidonttouchme
Registered User
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 50
I dont understand how u ppl can side with one another. At the end of the day, we r all ****ed by them..


To answer the poll, neither

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
  #15
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
I dont understand how u ppl can side with one another. At the end of the day, we r all ****ed by them..


To answer the poll, neither
I don't think you've been getting ****ed by the guys who paid millions out of their own pockets for years to put a show on for you that you wouldn't be willing to pay the real cost of.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
  #16
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,633
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
Don't forget about all the employees of the arenas and teams, and the surrounding businesses that are loosing money and/or jobs because of this. There are people loosing their livelihoods which is much more important than use fans missing some entertainment.
of course. most importanly cannot forget those folks.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:22 PM
  #17
Twilight Sparkle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the owners do not appear to be interested in fixing the systemic economic problems that exist in the league.
As evidenced by locking out the players?

Twilight Sparkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
  #18
MarkhamNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
dunno why, can't vote in any of these polls... too new maybe ?

because this was a lockout.. I was on the players side
after all the rhetoric / crapola etc... still on players side

just another company trying to squeeze money out of their labor force for bad planning/strategies to cover up their tracks.

the only person who's salary has gone up every year in the NHL is Gary Bettman's.

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
  #19
santiclaws
Registered User
 
santiclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
Don't forget about all the employees of the arenas and teams, and the surrounding businesses that are loosing money and/or jobs because of this. There are people loosing their livelihoods which is much more important than use fans missing some entertainment.
I know a guy who moved his family half way across the country this summer to take a job with an NHL team/arena. He's still employed, but shaking in his boots as you can imagine. His wife hasn't found a job yet. So yeah, it's not the fans who are suffering.

Honestly, I'm just sick and tired of both sides. If you can't divvy up $3.3 billion, a pox on both your houses.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
  #20
MarkhamNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber48 View Post
As evidenced by locking out the players?
as evidenced by insisting the coyotes stay and lose 20-40 million a year

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
  #21
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
dunno why, can't vote in any of these polls... too new maybe ?

because this was a lockout.. I was on the players side
after all the rhetoric / crapola etc... still on players side

just another company trying to squeeze money out of their labor force for bad planning/strategies to cover up their tracks.

the only person who's salary has gone up every year in the NHL is Gary Bettman's.
When you quadruple the total revenues from 800M to 3.2B in matter of years, most owners would gladly pay you that much.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  #22
MarkhamNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
When you quadruple the total revenues from 800M to 3.2B in matter of years, most owners would gladly pay you that much.
isn't this the players point ?

record revenues... but you want us to take a pay cut ?
you want to keep the coyotes bleeding money where they are ?
your owners do not want to help each other out financially ?

let the players pay for the failing teams...

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
  #23
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
as evidenced by insisting the coyotes stay and lose 20-40 million a year
agree w/ this.. Something needs to be done about Phx for the upcoming season (if there is one). I thought last Dec was the "drop dead date" for a new owner to be annointed, but that still hasn't happened.

The CBA needs to address this issue in some way, if it can...? Phx just drags the entire league down. Look, Atl moved 6 weeks after I heard rumors they may be leaving Atl.

Make it the same with the Coyotes - sorry, but your time is up, this experiment has in fact, failed. Back up the moving vans and move them to QC next week. 2012-13 season would be an odd year getting settled and travelling long distances for division games, but still better than playing in front of 4,000 fans in Phx.

Then for 13-14 season, realign divisons to deal w/ Winnipeg and QC teams - done!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
  #24
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
For all those saying Phoenix, Phoenix, Phoenix!, that is complete crap.

We may not like that the team is in Phoenix (hell, I don't either), but it is an attempt to grow the game outside of already established markets. Something BOTH the owners and players expressed was of utmost importance.

The owners are losing profits in order to grow the game. This isn't to screw over the players.

Moving a team to a prime location is stupid anyway. If they wait until there is room for growth and then expand into those areas instead of moving, they can get a substantial expansion fee, which boosts the profits of players and owners.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
  #25
MarkhamNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
For all those saying Phoenix, Phoenix, Phoenix!, that is complete crap.

We may not like that the team is in Phoenix (hell, I don't either), but it is an attempt to grow the game outside of already established markets. Something BOTH the owners and players expressed was of utmost importance.

The owners are losing profits in order to grow the game. This isn't to screw over the players.

Moving a team to a prime location is stupid anyway. If they wait until there is room for growth and then expand into those areas instead of moving, they can get a substantial expansion fee, which boosts the profits of players and owners.
i think 16 years of failure should suffice to know the obvious.

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.