HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJ View Post
the stars were very big on the idea of changing the color scheme. the stars were working with the adidas design team, and from what i've heard, the color schemes were basically green/gold, red/gold, red/blue, red/green, green/silver, and navy/silver. my source said that all the navy/silver logos looked strikingly like dallas cowboys logos, and that the stars were HEAVILY favoring them
The fact that people inside the Stars organization actually wanted to change the color scheme, scares the ever living crap out of me. WHY CHANGE IT!? It makes no sense. We're one of the few teams that actually has the green in our scheme. God forbid the Stars be unique from not only the rest of the league but from the rest of the DFW teams! Just is absolutely frustrating to me that they're willing to throw away 45+ years of the green only to be stopped because they're scared of getting sued.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Also the logo you're describing sounds a lot like...

Just less sheriffy.

Which again, don't understand why they feel the need to rebrand everything just because there's a new owner and they're trying to win new fans over.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Yeah, I mean I know Ralph works for the organization, but I couldn't believe he was trying to convince us that green wasn't important. That was some bullsh.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:38 PM
txomisc

I hope sales of the Texas Stars jerseys have been good and they took a look at that and realized that maybe its a good idea to keep the current scheme. I dont mind the idea of tossing silver in there, but i really dont want to see red.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Maybe the D is in silver and the star shape is in the same colors it's always been?

Old
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Maybe the D is in silver and the star shape is in the same colors it's always been?
maybe or it could be used as a small outline similar to this ice girls thing

Old
10-25-2012, 04:52 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Oh God, red or cowboys colors this will make people scream for the ones we have now. Let's hope they don't go that path.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Oh God, red or cowboys colors this will make people scream for the ones we have now. Let's hope they don't go that path.
sho nuff!

Old
10-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Brand New Stars

Red is as overused as it gets and I hate the Cowgirls so I definitely would rather have the current jerseys. However, the red, white, and blue Texas Stars jersey isn't bad. It's not the Stars identity though.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:05 PM
ColeJ

i tried to get the defending big d guys to really hammer it home against strangis on the podcast about it, since i'm the one that was hinting to them about the color changes... i was on baby-duty that night or i would have called the podcast and called him out on his goofy reasoning.

then they'd probably fire me from the blog and ralph would never speak to us again :p

Old
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
WhoahNow

Quote:
i tried to get the defending big d guys to really hammer it home against strangis on the podcast about it, since i'm the one that was hinting to them about the color changes... i was on baby-duty that night or i would have called the podcast and called him out on his goofy reasoning.

then they'd probably fire me from the blog and ralph would never speak to us again :p
It'd be worth it if they ended up with nice green jerseys

Old
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
your source isn't just plain wrong. i can promise you that much. i also have a source that seems to have been fairly involved much earlier in the process than your source, so reading what you've written actually makes me a little relieved. i was incredibly worried.

i was told a few months ago that they were working on new uniforms and new logos for next season. the stars were very big on the idea of changing the color scheme. the stars were working with the adidas design team, and from what i've heard, the color schemes were basically green/gold, red/gold, red/blue, red/green, green/silver, and navy/silver. my source said that all the navy/silver logos looked strikingly like dallas cowboys logos, and that the stars were HEAVILY favoring them, while adidas was adamantly against it, saying that they worried about possible action by the cowboys against them if they were used by the stars.

the descriptions i've heard were that the primary logo will be an interlocking capital D with a star, while the secondary would likely be a roundel that looks vaguely like a sheriff's badge, only without a distinct western feel (Thank god). the team would also have a wordmark logo that would be used on helmets, print, etc, that looks almost identical to the current primary logo's text, only without the star. just the ST/\RS text, sans star.

every logo was made in every possible color scheme, and tested ad nauseum with the stars heavily favoring the cowboys colors or red.

if you've heard that they likely chose the green/black/gold combination, then i'm incredibly relieved.

it's true, and fairly common knowledge to uniform nerds, that changes do have to be finalized by mid-september of the year before they're unveiled. then they're usually unveiled around draft weekend of the summer before they're worn. so whatever the stars are doing, they've already chosen it. since mid-september, i've been nervous as hell about it, thinking that there are some navy and silver stars logos being printed up somewhere in frisco.

i will say that my source isn't a stars fan, but a professional graphic designer that i know. i won't name names for his sake. he also said that every logo he saw for the stars looked really nice, regardless of color scheme, with the exception of the cowboys colored ones that just looked jarringly like dallas cowboys logos. he said that he thinks fans will like the change, even if they ditch green. i told him that every stars fan i know would rather they just wear blank green practice jerseys than anything that isn't green/black/gold.

he also said that the flames were working on a black alternate jersey with an arched wordmark and front-number that he thought looked awful... and that buffalo is apparently making something black for a third jersey, but he never got to see it, which disappointed him since black isn't even part of their color scheme anymore.
I heard about the STARS sans /\ on the helmets etc. I don't mind that, not really a big deal to me I guess. I would prefer they had an actual star on the helmets though like they use to wear. My friend's friend also has something to do with the graphic side of things.

It scares me as well that they were actually seriously considering a complete color change. Like I said the last I heard (in August) was that they were leaning towards one of the green schemes - but we can only pray to God that they actually went with it. I can't imagine them going off the chart, especially since it has been said they they were listening to the fans and we all know most of the fan base wants green.

Have you guys checked out the star logo on the shield over at dallasstars.com? I think we could see that somewhere - possibly the alternate symbol.

I believe this is the one I sent to someone high up in the organization - and he loved em. Even forwarded them to Nieuwy; Ralph; and Tom G saying "Hey boys check these out. Pretty awesome"

The original mock was done up by another boardie - RTstars11 - I just did some slight alterations like switched the black helmet to green, took a bit of black out of the unis in favor of green, and added the stars down the side of the pants. I used Paint so kinda crappy so I apologize.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 10-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 03:26 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I heard about the STARS sans /\ on the helmets etc. I don't mind that, not really a big deal to me I guess. I would prefer they had an actual star on the helmets though like they use to wear.

It scares me as well that they were actually seriously considering a complete color change. Like I said the last I heard (in August) was that they were leaning towards one of the green schemes - but we can only pray to God that they actually went with it. I can't imagine them going off the chart, especially since it has been said they they were listening to the fans and we all know most of the fan base wants green.

Have you guys checked out the star logo on the shield over at dallasstars.com? I think we could see that somewhere - possibly the alternate symbol.
I wouldn't doubt at all if that is used somewhere. The thing I find weird about it though is that the gold portion of the star at the top is still detached from the rest. That makes zero sense without the other letters.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

To be honest, the logo just reminds of the kings logo....not really a fan

edit: I think the jersey posted above should be a couple shades lighter. Still would buy it immediately if they chose it though.

Last edited by Nemeth: 10-26-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Dallas green is not the North Stars green.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I wouldn't doubt at all if that is used somewhere. The thing I find weird about it though is that the gold portion of the star at the top is still detached from the rest. That makes zero sense without the other letters.
The irony here is that the only sense it would then make would be as a nod to the North Stars, i.e. pointing up, or north.

The whole controversy about the colors seems so bizarre to me. I'm going to take the Flyers here as an example since we've had a couple of Flyers fans posting here since the Jagr signing -- can you imagine if Philadelphia just randomly decided to change their colors to dark green and silver in order to better match the Eagles? Of course not. There would be pandemonium... the streets would run red with blood (only a slight exaggeration). So why are the Stars, a team that's been green & gold (in one form or another) for as long as the Flyers have been orange, considering changing 45 years on? It speaks to a certain amount of insecurity in the organization IMO.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Troy McClure

I disagree. I see all of the clinging to North Stars colors as an insecure fan base trying to glom on to a history that wasn't theirs.

It's odd. Teams move all the time, and it's very rare for fans to be so concerned with how things were done in another city.

I hope they go back to a dark green color because I think it looks great. I don't give a crap about Minnesota. Why should I? This team is the Dallas Stars. The North Stars died in 1993. That team has been replaced with the Wild.

Do the Texas Rangers care what the Washington Senators wore or used as logos? Do the Winnipeg Jets care what happened in Atlanta? Do the Hurricanes care what happened in Hartford? Do the Devils care what happened in Denver? Of course not.

In a lot of ways, Norm Green being too cheap to change the name or jerseys after the move was a curse because it forever has locked this team into a sad rejected stepchild relationship with its Minnesota history.

Last edited by Troy McClure: 10-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Do the Texas Rangers care what the Washington Senators wore or used as logos? Of course not.
Are they not the same?

Dallas should stay the dark green/gold/black that they've been since the team moved here. No reason to change it at all.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Are they not the same?
Different name, logos, jerseys, mascots... Maybe some colors are similar, but that is entirely coincidence. The Rangers base their colors on the Texas flag not on what was done in the city that did not support the team.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Are they not the same?

Dallas should stay the dark green/gold/black that they've been since the team moved here. No reason to change it at all.
I couldn't agree more. 100%

Old
10-26-2012, 11:26 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
The irony here is that the only sense it would then make would be as a nod to the North Stars, i.e. pointing up, or north.

The whole controversy about the colors seems so bizarre to me. I'm going to take the Flyers here as an example since we've had a couple of Flyers fans posting here since the Jagr signing -- can you imagine if Philadelphia just randomly decided to change their colors to dark green and silver in order to better match the Eagles? Of course not. There would be pandemonium... the streets would run red with blood (only a slight exaggeration). So why are the Stars, a team that's been green & gold (in one form or another) for as long as the Flyers have been orange, considering changing 45 years on? It speaks to a certain amount of insecurity in the organization IMO.
I agree completely. I've used that argument against a couple boardies over at dallasstars.com. They argue still, but hey they're entitled to be wrong.

What would the point of changing be? Has the color scheme ever proved to be unpopular? Nope. Is it too bland? Nope. Is it too used around the league? Nope. It's a great color scheme that has worked and is proven to be popular; the colors stand out on the ice; and it's unique (apart of course from the Wild using a different shade of green). Add in both facts that it's been the same basic color scheme for 45 years (tradition) and most fans are screaming for it, there's absolutely zero reason to change. I would be disgusted if they did and I'm pretty disgusted they even considered it to be honest.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I agree completely. I've used that argument against a couple boardies over at dallasstars.com. They argue still, but hey they're entitled to be wrong.
They're actually arguing in favor of changing the colors?

I knew it was bad over there, but good God, I didn't know it was THAT bad.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:26 AM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
it's true, and fairly common knowledge to uniform nerds, that changes do have to be finalized by mid-september of the year before they're unveiled.
It's odd since both Mark and Heika each said by the end of December, they had to be submitted and approved by the NHL. Though this info was from two years ago.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:49 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I disagree. I see all of the clinging to North Stars colors as an insecure fan base trying to glom on to a history that wasn't theirs.

It's odd. Teams move all the time, and it's very rare for fans to be so concerned with how things were done in another city.

I hope they go back to a dark green color because I think it looks great. I don't give a crap about Minnesota. Why should I? This team is the Dallas Stars. The North Stars died in 1993. That team has been replaced with the Wild.

Do the Texas Rangers care what the Washington Senators wore or used as logos? Do the Winnipeg Jets care what happened in Atlanta? Do the Hurricanes care what happened in Hartford? Do the Devils care what happened in Denver? Of course not.
Troy, going to have to disagree with you here. I've seen you bring forth this argument before but I think you're overlooking the strength of the bond between Minnesota and Dallas.

The North Stars most certainly did not die in 1993. They changed the city they operated in. It was more like any corporation changing their HQ. They kept the same personnel, they kept the essential name, they kept the same general colors, the kept the same logo, they kept the same announcer, and to this date the retired numbers hang in the AAC. We honor our history rather than running away from it. What happened with the Stars simply didn't play out in the same way that other teams' moves did.

So here we are. We're the caretakers of a 1967 franchise. We have fans who followed the team while they played in Minneapolis and we have fans who have followed them when they played in Dallas, Texas. Some of those overlap. It's been a gradual evolution of the team, much like there would have been anyway even if it had never moved. Every Stars player wears on their shoulder and helmet the same mark that graced the Met Center's ice and boards.

So, the question is, do we abandon that? Do we abandon what's gone on for 45 years? Even if you reject everything prior to '93 do we then abandon everything that's happened over the past 19 years? I would say not. And it appears that many Stars fans would also say not. If you wanted a clean break the time was when they arrived in Texas. Maybe various focus groups disagree, I don't know. But is that really where the future of the team should be decided?

Old
10-27-2012, 04:09 AM
ColeJ

well said.

if the stars wanted a clear break from the legacy of the minnesota north stars, as ralph hinted at on the podcast, then it should have happened 20 years ago.

it didn't. we are the minnesota north stars. and the green and gold stars won the stanley cup in 1999 with the player they drafted first overall in 1988. the only difference between the uniforms worn in the last year in minnesota and the first year in dallas is shoulder patches and the stripe on the pants.

and for the record, the dallas stars uniforms were kelly green and black in 1993-94. not dark green. so that's not even a "clean division" either.

if the stars want to throw away their history, i'm going to be disgusted. i take great pride in the history of this organization, and it sort of baffles me how quickly and easily ralph strangis wants to distance us from it, all things considered.

Closed Thread