HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL cancels all games in November.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I am a bit "favoring" the owners, but the original proposal was trash and started this crap to begin with.
NHLPA hiring Fehr basically solidified this crap to begin with. Under him they did such wonderful this as refuse to drop the amount the NHLPA players were paying into escrow (dead serious), when the NHL actually suggested they drop it to 9-10%... they refused... and the NHL forced them down to 17% from 18%...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:10 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
I am a bit "favoring" the owners, but the original proposal was trash and started this crap to begin with.
NFL settled at 47%. Everybody knows first offer is a wish list. PA should have acted more mature and counter-negotiated.

What the league has done is start low and go up at regular intervals. I just think 50% might actually be their red line (at least, without losing a season, which ****s everyone's red lines), and given the league's financials, that doesn't surprise me one bit. If you asked to to independently ballpark everything I've see regarding the NHL and other leagues, I would say the outcome for this league should be substantially less than 50%. They're backing off it now and there are grumblings some owners didn't like giving up that much.

What the players have done is try to rewrite the rules of math, even the NHL keeps telling them linkage is non-negotiable, to get more than I think their play earns for the league.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:13 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
They have options now though ... If you don't think so, then why are they going to Europe to play?
How much money are they making in Europe, and how many of them can Europe afford to pay?

Old
10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
They have options now though ... If you don't think so, then why are they going to Europe to play?
Yeah? How much money will most most 2nd and 3rd liners make there? Goons like Brych and Bisonnette have ended their own careers.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
The owners original proposal was trash but people need to see through it and understand why they tabled it. All they really did was switch the percentages that were in the last cba. So it had the owners getting the 57%. If you get mad at that then thats just hypocritical especially since the nhl quickly moved towards 50. It was childish but merely a tongue in cheek proposal to show the hypocracy of the PA

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
MarkhamNHL

I guess we see why Bettman kept the Coyotes fiasco going this long... it was too maximize loses overall instead of moving the team to a profitable city. what percentage of league loses do the coyotes alone account for ??? If I was Fehr I would be hammering this home in every statement issued. The money sunk into that pit in the desert could easily make the other teams more profitable. So the owners have to take the blame for their own financial stupidity and not expect their employees to bail them out thru wage reductions after already giving back the last CBA.

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
I guess we see why Bettman kept the Coyotes fiasco going this long... it was too maximize loses overall instead of moving the team to a profitable city. what percentage of league loses do the coyotes alone account for ??? If I was Fehr I would be hammering this home in every statement issued. The money sunk into that pit in the desert could easily make the other teams more profitable. So the owners have to take the blame for their own financial stupidity and not expect their employees to bail them out thru wage reductions after already giving back the last CBA.
He has stated this the first few times out early on in interviews ... "If a team in a market isn't viable, let's move the team to a market that is... " Paraphrasing ... threads in this forum about this very subject.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:55 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. I hope the NHL never recovers from this.
I feel the same way. I hope they cancel the entire season and we all know that when they finally reach a new CBA, when that expires they'll have a lockout afterward, too. It's the way of the league.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:58 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 148
Oh well, more time for

NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
He has stated this the first few times out early on in interviews ... "If a team in a market isn't viable, let's move the team to a market that is... " Paraphrasing ... threads in this forum about this very subject.
but he needs to do it every time to keep it in the spotlight.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
stug*

So did the players hire Fehr because they knew he would cause a lockout?
I don´t think the players even want to play.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:04 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
So did the players hire Fehr because they knew he would cause a lockout?
I don´t think the players even want to play.
if they didn't want to play they would have opted out of the contract or went on strike... the players have no control over a lockout.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
No....The NHLPA not wanting to start talks earlier is what started this mess.

Fehr is the worst thing to happen to this whole ordeal. Lets change leadership right before talks should be starting. He probably still doesn't have a grip on the league yet.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
if they didn't want to play they would have opted out of the contract or went on strike... the players have no control over a lockout.
The players aren't unified enough to know what to do. Some are in other leagues around the world. Some don't give a crap because they've made their millions. The rest are afraid to speak out against the precious union. The entire PA is a joke.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
The players did not have the option of opting out of the contract no more than the owners did, and they didn't go on strike because the NHL locked them out first. They could not have gone on strike while the CBA was in effect.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://theahl.com/siriusxm-adds-38-a...hedule-p179903

SXM adds 38 AHL games to November evenings/weekends.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:21 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

"I'm shocked! How could this happen?" Said no one.

AHockeyGameBrokeOut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

It's October 26th.

And they are already planning to cancel a game schedule for next year, January 1st?

I just can't fathom the utter stupidity of both sides. Cancel the whole damn season so I can just move on. Seriously, **** all of them. I hope this league never recovers. WE all know it;s impossible, but nothing i'd love more than to see the opening night game being a ghost house with the owners sitting in their luxury boxes.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:29 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
The players did not have the option of opting out of the contract no more than the owners did, and they didn't go on strike because the NHL locked them out first. They could not have gone on strike while the CBA was in effect.
no the players stated they would continue to play un der the current CBA while negotiating... so don't blame them

you don't know what you are talking about, the owners did opt out of the CBA.. that was part of the last CBA... either side could opt out starting this year...

Old
10-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Just cancel them all. Do not care any more.
Oh they will The league had it planned all along. The Talk is just PR, ie. don't blame us.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Chiuozu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It's October 26th.

And they are already planning to cancel a game schedule for next year, January 1st?

I just can't fathom the utter stupidity of both sides. Cancel the whole damn season so I can just move on. Seriously, **** all of them. I hope this league never recovers. WE all know it;s impossible, but nothing i'd love more than to see the opening night game being a ghost house with the owners sitting in their luxury boxes.
It wouldn't effect the owners. It would affect the players and the Fans.

Chiuozu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
no the players stated they would continue to play un der the current CBA while negotiating... so don't blame them
and then they go on strike at the beginning of the playoffs and hold fans and the league hostage.
Like they have done in the past.

I guess the nhl is thinking," fool me once..."

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Keep cancelling games until the players wake up.

I'd love to see a nice sum of all the money they are losing.. its so great and so deserved.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiuozu View Post
It wouldn't effect the owners. It would affect the players and the Fans.
maybe the teams that lose money.. but the ones who make money ? they are losing out big time

Old
10-26-2012, 09:07 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It's October 26th.

The winter classic takes a ton of preplanning and investment. They can't make that one happen two weeks in advance.