Notices

KPD pisses off bloggers

Old
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
No problem, but nobody's forcing you to carry a kindle or to follow anyone on twitter. Like that loud music that kids play these days, if you don't like it, turn it off.
Touche......now, where DID I put that Benny Goodman 78 anyways?

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:35 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Like most of the media folks that have posted here, he seemingly got irritated when someone would challenge their opinions, instead of just accepting them. Typical thin skin from those guys. Whatever.

Not. Missing. The. Supposed. "Insiders". At. All.
When Europe beat USA in the Ryder Cup...he cracked a joke about how Tiger must be regretting not going to some restaurant(go figure...Haggs thinking about food).

I corrected him saying that Tiger was leading his match when Europe clinched and had zero impact on the outcome.

All he said to me, and the others who corrected him was about how he doesn't care about the Ryder Cup.

Mind boggling some of these guys that get media "credentials"

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

most of the guys i follow on twitter are for the express purpose of reading while games are on. mostly they're baseball writers who don't take themselves seriously and actually seem to enjoy what they do for a living.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:53 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
most of the guys i follow on twitter are for the express purpose of reading while games are on. mostly they're baseball writers who don't take themselves seriously and actually seem to enjoy what they do for a living.
I recently cleaned up mine too...much better.

Don't need the egos of Boston media trying to convince me they're important in any way, shape, or form. Don't need to see certain writers say "I can confirm blah blah blah" when it's already a well known fact and been confirmed by much more legit people...many times including the team's official twitter itself.

I'll give a guy like DJ Bean a follow any day over many of these "journalists" who think they're Woodward and Bernstein, when they really couldn't be any further. The bloggers like Kalman, the guys at DaysofYorr, Stanleycupofchowder, etc. are much more enjoyable people and better follows anyways.

/rant

Many of these media types today are nothing more than commentators, not journalists. I've got a couple friends who write for some pretty well known blogs, not in the hockey world but basketball and football...and guess what. They write more words(many times that make more sense too) in a week than KPD normally puts out in a month.

Last edited by BrainOfJ: 10-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.
BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:54 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

I wonder how KPD feels about this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1189611

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
I wonder how KPD feels about this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1189611

Well it is obvious that Clark can see where the dead tree media is going to end up

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Well it is obvious that Clark can see where the dead tree media is going to end up
Even the man of steel realizes that print media is a sinking ship. Oh the humanity. I guess that makes Superman part of the unwashed, uneducated, not socially conscious, unreliable blogosphere....

Old
10-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Even the man of steel realizes that print media is a sinking ship. Oh the humanity. I guess that makes Superman part of the unwashed, uneducated, not socially conscious, unreliable blogosphere....
I hope to god he becomes a freelance blogger. That would just be too good.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:54 AM
whitetape

Quote:
Originally opposted by Artemis:
Like anything else, twitter and other social media are tools. Just as the telegraph was a tool, and the telephone, teletype and so on. I wonder if any 19th century journalists railed against the telegraph?

A good journalist uses whatever tool is available to do his or her job. The one thing social media has done is make that tool available to everyone, but what's wrong with that? Quality will still be the watchword. I read someone like Bob McKenzie because he's good at his job; I ignore bozos like hockeyyyinsiderrrr because he's a moron. The medium makes no difference.

If Dupont or any other "mainstream" journalists have trouble with bloggers, perhaps they should stop expecting their readers to pay attention to them because they're dishing up what's served to them by the NHL clubs they cover, and get out there and bust their tails, the way guys like Kirk or Bob Mand are doing. Tell me how the Bruins prospects are doing. What's going on with Providence? Tell me what guys like Danny Paille are up to. How is Dougie Hamilton dealing with the lockout?

If Dupont wants to write interesting stuff about the Bruins, I'll read it. If he wants to rant about bloggers, sneer at fans, and dump on Bruins players, as he's done for the past few years, I'll pass.
Well put. If KPD did half the work the Globe's football and baseball reporters do, he might be worth reading, though his underlying contempt for hockey probably still would show through.
For years I have been wishing he would take a buyout.
I'm glad to see a comparative absence of the usual accolades here about his HOF creds, his vast knowledge of the sport, etc. The myth of this bitter, overrated writer appears to be finally punctured.

whitetape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:57 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I hope to god he becomes a freelance blogger. That would just be too good.
To see him on the street corner holding up a homemade sign saying:"Will blog for food" would be way too funny...

I don't mind him at all, and I like when he stirs the pot here because it's pretty amusing and it riles people up even though they know why he's posting. But his contempt for new media types comes off as beyond petty.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
To see him on the street corner holding up a homemade sign saying:"Will blog for food" would be way too funny...

I don't mind him at all, and I like when he stirs the pot here because it's pretty amusing and it riles people up even though they know why he's posting. But his contempt for new media types comes off as beyond petty.
Like I mentioned before, it reminds me of silent movie stars making fun of the movies with dialog. Lot of good that did them.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Like I mentioned before, it reminds me of silent movie stars making fun of the movies with dialog. Lot of good that did them.
Well, I know for a fact that actors and actresses in "talkies" are rotten humanitarians and kick puppies every chance they get....

Old
10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Hooray for the many, many excellent hockey, NHL, and B's related sites that are out there these days.

The only bit I bother with per the Globe are Fluto's daily updates. Haven't rread KPD in years; don't miss the tiresome snark or gratuitious cheap shots.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetape View Post
Well put. If KPD did half the work the Globe's football and baseball reporters do, he might be worth reading, though his underlying contempt for hockey probably still would show through.
For years I have been wishing he would take a buyout.
I'm glad to see a comparative absence of the usual accolades here about his HOF creds, his vast knowledge of the sport, etc. The myth of this bitter, overrated writer appears to be finally punctured.
Man, gotta tell yah, and I will qualify this by saying that I believe that your *opinion* is just as valid as mine; and hey my opinion is, I don't believe that anyone does *anything* for 40-50 years that ought to be, or could be devoid of any ability, or should be denied of any credit or accolades.

Even if you don't like the Rolling Stones...they obviously have been doing something right, correct?

Otherwise, you risk sounding like my father. And, yes, he is wrong -- let's face it.

Your post (and some others in here) honestly made me cringe a little. Sure, I have have often had a vast difference of opinions on KPD's opinions or columns, but man, I have never felt anywhere near inclined to rip this guy of his existence.

That's blood, sweat and tears. Years of blood, sweat..........

Saying all that, I also understand that anytime you climb on top of a Mountain with a Megaphone, that one should never be surprised when people throw things at you; but wow, I'd like to think that some folks around here would - at least - entertain his presence around here and understand that as a benefit to most.

Anyway, I digress. The court of public opinion can't be impeded. I just wish I didn't see the vitriol (and sometime jealousy) that I detect in people out of forums such as these, for people who do.....that.

PS, his opinion on the Joe Thornton trade made me crazy, but I will tell you that he admitted (to my face) he may have been wrong on that topic, and he was kind enough to buy me a beer (or two ().... to talk about it.

He is a gentleman, and as a gentleman.....y'know

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i don't think anyone is denying that he put in hard work at some point in his career.

but very few businesses are such that you work your ass off to get to the top and then coast the rest of the way. you have to keep driving, you have to keep working, you have to constantly be good in some businesses or you're going to get left behind. that's what is happening to a lot of writers in sports and other businesses; some writer worked for years to get where he's at and decides to take shots at people coming up, possibly working harder than he ever had to and doing it without going to school or the "old school way". and that sucks for the old writer because the new writers are putting in a lot of quality work that people are more interested in and myself as a consumer would rather read something that has effort in it rather than read the half-assed ramblings of someone coasting by on a name alone.

what's that saying? it's lonely at the top? not anymore. lots of people want to be there and they'll work their ass off to push you down. for every lazy "old school" writer, there are many others who are willing to do quality work on a blog for free because they love what they do and put their name on that, proudly. i'd certainly rather read that than kpd.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:27 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

I do not believe for a minute that the new wave of bloggers are "working harder than" KPD "ever had to". I might appreciate how much easier it is to gain access to hockey players who are willing and able to say whatever they want to...but I find it hard to push aside guys who busted ass getting to where they are just because there's a slick and easy medium to usurp their hard work in the form of fast reporting.

Easy to swing bats now that things have progressed to the world of instant media, but there was a long hard road getting her that others had to traverse. Its far to easy nowadays to forget that.

Also, I am drinking some whiskey so...

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i do simply because there are so many people out there for only a few jobs.

maybe i worded it a little strong but they're certainly not working any less harder than anyone else did in the past.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:47 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i do simply because there are so many people out there for only a few jobs.

maybe i worded it a little strong but they're certainly not working any less harder than anyone else did in the past.
We can agree to disagree, I guess. It just seems like the world of the 70's and 80's reporter is a heck of a lot different, and easier, than today's blogger .

Old
10-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
I do not believe for a minute that the new wave of bloggers are "working harder than" KPD "ever had to". I might appreciate how much easier it is to gain access to hockey players who are willing and able to say whatever they want to...but I find it hard to push aside guys who busted ass getting to where they are just because there's a slick and easy medium to usurp their hard work in the form of fast reporting.

Easy to swing bats now that things have progressed to the world of instant media, but there was a long hard road getting her that others had to traverse. Its far to easy nowadays to forget that.

Guys like Dupont have the exact same access to that slick and easy medium. The Globe, and every other newspaper on the planet, has a website, and they also have access to Twitter. As I noted previously, the medium is nothing more than a tool; it doesn't usurp hard work.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
We can agree to disagree, I guess. It just seems like the world of the 70's and 80's reporter is a heck of a lot different, and easier, than today's blogger .
EDITED....not easier. Harder. I blame Jameson.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:

Well said. I remember Mike Brophy of THN telling me he spent 10 years riding buses in the OHL (OHA at the time) covering jr. hockey before he ever got access to his first NHL dressing room.

And since Gonzo weighed in, I figure I shall as well...

Kevin Paul Dupont is a friend and mentor, so you'll have to take my remarks with the proverbial grain of salt.

Dupes has been nothing if entertaining over the years. You don't have to like his positions, but I don't get the vitriol, the derision, the disdain for the man. I get the feeling if you sat next to him at Ristuccia during a Bruins training camp session, you'd enjoy the experience and come away with a completely different opinion of him. Of course- that's life and the internet.

But as for Dupes and his accomplishments as a sports writer- I can remember charging out the door to get my hands on the Globe as a boy to read him as Bruins beat writer and later as a columnist. Certainly didn't agree with everything he wrote over the years, but man-- the guy could write! A glorious piece he penned on Mark Recchi a few years back reminded me that although he may have lost a few MPH off the fastball, the old man can still locate pretty well.

And when I finally got the chance to meet him for the 1st time on the way to an NHL draft about 10 or so years ago- we shared a flight- and then a taxi from airport to hotel and back again- he treated me with absolute grace and respect then and that continues to this day. And I was one of those "vile" bloggers you read about. So really, it isn't about petty jealousy and bitterness as much as people would like to paint him as some kind of bogeyman of the traditional media. I think that his sarcasm does get the better of him at times, but others play into that by being hypersensitive and just looking for things to take issue with.

As the great philosophizer Ilya "Bryz" Bryzgalov once said... "Why you heff to be mad? He's good guy..."

Off the soapbox now...

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Well said. I remember Mike Brophy of THN telling me he spent 10 years riding buses in the OHL (OHA at the time) covering jr. hockey before he ever got access to his first NHL dressing room.

Kevin Paul Dupont is a friend and mentor, so you'll have to take my remarks with the proverbial grain of salt.

Dupes has been nothing if entertaining over the years. You don't have to like his positions, but I don't get the vitriol, the derision, the disdain for the man. I get the feeling if you sat next to him at Ristuccia during a Bruins training camp session, you'd enjoy the experience and come away with a completely different opinion of him. Of course- that's life and the internet.

But as for Dupes and his accomplishments as a sports writer- I can remember charging out the door to get my hands on the Globe as a boy to read him as Bruins beat writer and later as a columnist. Certainly didn't agree with everything he wrote over the years, but man-- the guy could write! A glorious piece he penned on Mark Recchi a few years back reminded me that although he may have lost a few MPH off the fastball, the old man can still locate pretty well.

And when I finally got the chance to meet him for the 1st time on the way to an NHL draft about 10 or so years ago- we shared a flight- and then a taxi from airport to hotel and back again- he treated me with absolute grace and respect then and that continues to this day. And I was one of those "vile" bloggers you read about. So really, it isn't about petty jealousy and bitterness as much as people would like to paint him as some kind of bogeyman of the traditional media. I think that his sarcasm does get the better of him at times, but others play into that by being hypersensitive and just looking for things to take issue with.

As the great philosophizer Ilya "Bryz" Bryzgalov once said... "Why you heff to be mad? He's good guy..."

Off the soapbox now...
Perhaps it's because vitriol, derision and disdain are what come across in his writing?

Funny that you should mention a piece he did on Recchi, as Recchi is one of the few players in the past few years that Dupont hasn't trashed at one time or another. It's gotten worse than tiresome. "Too much Sunrise," anyone?

The best example of Dupont's attitude was a piece he wrote a few years back about his most memorable experience as a writer. He didn't write about a great game or a fantastic performance, but about Harry Sinden rampaging through the old Garden on his way to send some poor cowering schmoe to hockey Siberia. That was his most memorable experience?

Granted, serious, sad stuff happens, but bottom line, sports is supposed to be fun. I get that sense of joy from writers like Leigh Montville, or Joe Posnanski. I don't get it from Dupont - from him I get sourness and snark and Hey you kids get off my lawn. So I don't bother reading anymore.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:29 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post

Off the soapbox now...
Well said.

Really wish I had kept the PM's from him when the Bruins won the Cup about how happy he was, we both were..having never seen a Bruins Cup he told me relish it and enjoy it...A HOF writer "talking" to a regular fan about the sheer joy of winning it all...and other conversations before and after....I just laugh when people question what type of fan he is...Takes all this heat because he dares to call them like he sees 'em...How dare him.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:30 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Perhaps it's because vitriol, derision and disdain are what come across in his writing?

Funny that you should mention a piece he did on Recchi, as Recchi is one of the few players in the past few years that Dupont hasn't trashed at one time or another. It's gotten worse than tiresome. "Too much Sunrise," anyone?

The best example of Dupont's attitude was a piece he wrote a few years back about his most memorable experience as a writer. He didn't write about a great game or a fantastic performance, but about Harry Sinden rampaging through the old Garden on his way to send some poor cowering schmoe to hockey Siberia. That was his most memorable experience?

Granted, serious, sad stuff happens, but bottom line, sports is supposed to be fun. I get that sense of joy from writers like Leigh Montville, or Joe Posnanski. I don't get it from Dupont - from him I get sourness and snark and Hey you kids get off my lawn. So I don't bother reading anymore.
He said as a writer, not as a fan. As far as too much Sunrise, you really should go back and read some of those threads and revisit how Horton performed for most of that season, before the play-offs....

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
He said as a writer, not as a fan. As far as too much Sunrise, you really should go back and read some of those threads and revisit how Horton performed for most of that season....
Yes, I know. And he wrote about it with sheer glee. I'm still flabbergasted about that. But it perfectly exemplifies his writing style.

As for Horton, Dupont continued using that ridiculous phrase even during the playoffs. Not to mention campaigning on this very board to trade he AND Seguin for Taylor Hall.