HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Don't Need an NHL Season to Have an ASG

Old
10-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Seriously Capn?

No way in HELL the NHL would authorize or appreciate an NHLPA organized event, or any quasi-allstar game.

And the team or GM, or city that booked it would be on Bettman's **** list.

No question about it.
Disagree.

It wouldn't be organized by the NHLPA, it would be organized by the city of Columbus. It would benefit a charity. The only problem is that I think they would have to honor people that already own ASG tickets. Money from that wouldn't really be able to be put towards charity since I think the team already has received and probably put the money towards something.

But most everyone would win.

A charity wins by getting money / exposure.
The city wins by hosting the event.
The fans win by getting to watch hockey.
The players win because they get to play hockey (for a good cause).
The owners win because it takes some of the heat off of them during the lockout.

Who is going to come out publicly against a charity event? I don't think Bettman (the owners) will hold it against anyone because it doesn't advance any agenda (NHLPA or otherwise) and doesn't really benefit the players. It's not like they're getting paid to do it.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Skraut

You all realize this is going on right now don't you... They're currently in the 3rd period.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bost...r-charity-game

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2012/1...ters-released/

but I'm sure it'll totally be unique and original when we do it too...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
You all realize this is going on right now don't you... They're currently in the 3rd period.

There's a bit different though. Champs for Charity is mainly players from a few teams (2010 Chicago Blackhawks for instance).

The roster posted above is one I like. Have a Quebec / Ontario / Western Canada / USA tournament.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:11 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Seriously Capn?

No way in HELL the NHL would authorize or appreciate an NHLPA organized event, or any quasi-allstar game.

No question about it.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408250

Next you'll tell me that Bettman is going to make the Blackhawks move because of the charity game just held in Chicago.

And who said anything about the NHLPA organizing it?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:15 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Oh darn, someone else did something similar. I guess we should just pack it in and not have a game here.

It was already acknowledged that the idea wasn't original...since it was done during the '94-'95 lockout.

So, with that said, we now know some players who would clearly consider playing in a game:

Ryan Suter, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Bobby Ryan, Jordan Staal, and Jonathan Toews are some pretty big names. Depending on schedules, I'd think B. Ryan could talk his buddies Getzy and Perry into hopping on a plane and Dustin Penner also has partaken in pre-season charity events with those guys before.

You've got two Jackets who participated in this game in Chicago--Wiz and Boll. Have to think that if it were in Columbus, schedule depending, you certainly could get RJ and a couple others.

Last edited by CapnCornelius: 10-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
10-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Seriously Capn?

No question about it.
I vehemently disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

Next you'll tell me that Bettman is going to make the Blackhawks move because of the charity game just held in Chicago.

Although I trust in your ability to get something going, the sheer number of details to iron out in a short period of time would be immense. The NHLPA would have to be involved in some way, if for no other reason than to coordinate travel and insurance for the event.

Anything beyond that, though, I'm not certain. The NHLPA was responsible for the 1994 tournament, and they only got Copps Coliseum booked about a month ahead of time. They got donating sponsors, uniforms, and everything else together and finalized in a very short period of time. And don't forget that it was also televised.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I vehemently disagree.

Although I trust in your ability to get something going, the sheer number of details to iron out in a short period of time would be immense. The NHLPA would have to be involved in some way, if for no other reason than to coordinate travel and insurance for the event.

Anything beyond that, though, I'm not certain. The NHLPA was responsible for the 1994 tournament, and they only got Copps Coliseum booked about a month ahead of time. They got donating sponsors, uniforms, and everything else together and finalized in a very short period of time. And don't forget that it was also televised.
I think there is a way to do it without the PA, but I'm interested in finding out how the Chicago game came together--it also had a quick turnaround time after Adam Burish first started putting it together and managed to get sponsorship from Great Clips and raised over $300,000 for Ronald McDonald House--note their involvement once again and you start to think that working with them as the charity of choice is probably the easiest way to go.

January would make the most sense to me. If the lockout has gone on that long, two things have happened--(1) the actual All Star Game has been cancelled and (2) negotiations have hit a horrible stand still and the whole season is as good as toast.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:36 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

You did in your original post by referencing the NHLPA JERSEYS worn in the 94 Lockout.
And don't think the NHLPA doesn't have to approve something like this.

re: Chicago's game....

BIG difference between a comedy exhibition game and what you suggested in your first post (along the lines of an Allstar game organized by the city).

"It was part Harlem Globetrotters on ice with a penalty shot by Wild goaltender Niklas Backstrom and a staged fight between Blackhawks agitator Dan Carcillo and former Chicago Cubs pitcher/guest coach Ryan Dempster."

Yay???

1. Chicago's owners have been on Bettman's S**T LIST for a long long time.

2. Maybe Bettman figures more exhibition games will split the union.

3. If a bunch of the guys want to put on a Globetrotters show for the Foundation, God bless 'em.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:19 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
You did in your original post by referencing the NHLPA JERSEYS worn in the 94 Lockout.

No one was proposing pulling out the old '94 lockout sweaters. The tournament was merely a reference point that something like this can in fact be done.

Quote:

BIG difference between a comedy exhibition game and what you suggested in your first post (along the lines of an Allstar game organized by the city).

"It was part Harlem Globetrotters on ice with a penalty shot by Wild goaltender Niklas Backstrom and a staged fight between Blackhawks agitator Dan Carcillo and former Chicago Cubs pitcher/guest coach Ryan Dempster."

Yay???
Umm, have you watched the All Star Weekend in recent years? The skills competition in particular has become a clown show and the game itself isn't exactly noteworthy for its level of competition.

Quote:
If that's the case, then we'd be doing him a favor, right? (And I don't see how an exhibition game would accomplish that exactly.)

Old
10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Yay???

1. Chicago's owners have been on Bettman's S**T LIST for a long long time.

3. If a bunch of the guys want to put on a Globetrotters show for the Foundation, God bless 'em.
I think that I was the one who repeatedly referenced 1994, but that was only to illustrate the point that something big can be brought together very quickly.

I also went further than that, because I'm of the opinion that simply putting together a charity game would pale in comparison to a small-scale charity tournament. How many players outside the Central Division would show up for a charity game, compared to how many would show up for a tournament? Look at those 1994 rosters; those guys simply would not be there if it was a one-game thing. Make a tournament format of it, and suddenly there's a lot more interest.

Think of the likelihood of having a single charity game on TV, compared to a small tournament. Think of the willingness of businesses to sponsor a single game, compared to a tournament. Think of the ability to make Columbus the center of the hockey universe; it doesn't come with a single game, but with something bigger than that. It's why a company will cut a check for $20 million to a NASCAR team for a year, but wouldn't do it for a lower-level racing circuit.

It's the difference between having RJ Umberger as the best player in the game and having Wayne Gretzky think long and hard about suiting up for one final game.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Here's a thought:
Let's post more ideas we shouldn't even be talking about, and then chew each other up while the millionaires on both sides ruin the love of the game.

*sigh*

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote