HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Would JVR have turned out better if he went the OHL route instead of USHL and NCAA?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Yeah, I think so. Given his alleged pedigree, he should have been able to take on the OHL, which would force him to raise his level of play. The sooner your body is able to memorize and gain familiarity with stronger opponents, usually you're better off for it if you're ready, which I don't see any reason he wouldn't be.
considering there are players in the NCAA that are over 20 years old, You can argue that players in the NCAA are stronger than the OHL

a lot of you people write-off the NCAA as an inferior product to CHL, but it really isn't that much worse, if at all

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I guess the arguement can be made that going to junior over college hockey can be better for your development. Especially getting ready for the physical side of the game. fighting, ect. The season is longer as well.
So maybe it would take a player longer to develop. Of course like with anything there are exceptions. Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise, Dany Heatley, Marty St.Louis and John Leclair for example. Would those players be better going to junior? very debatable.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
It's hard to say how things would be different, but I will say I don't think he's a flop. I think the Flyers will regret that trade.

I do think he was wrong to ignore the Flyers advice. I also think he would have been better served with a year in the AHL instead of making the jump from college to the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think it's as much of a CHL vs. NCAA thing as much as it's an issue of the school that JVR went to. UNH is not known as having a strong hockey program and developing quality NHL players. From what I know, JVR had several schools offer scholarships, including Boston College, BU, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Instead, he went to a school where he would be given a top line spot right away and was very close to home. I don't have a problem with someone wanting to be close to hom. The problem I have is that is that UNH let JVR get away with bad habits, habits which carried over to the NHL. If he would have gone to a school with a reputable hockey program, I honestly don't think he gets moved. Instead, UNH stunted his development and his career paid for it as a result
Sorry, non-Flyer fan (saw this thread through the new posts and got intrigued). What advice did the Flyers offer? Play in junior? And what bad habits did the guy pick up?

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Sorry, non-Flyer fan (saw this thread through the new posts and got intrigued). What advice did the Flyers offer? Play in junior? And what bad habits did the guy pick up?
he didnt pick up any bad habits. some people just love to speculate that just because when he left UNH for the pros that he wasnt the player they thought they were getting. Hindsite being what it is I am sure the Flyers would of stuck him in the AHL for at least 1 season. Even Claude Giroux spent more time in the AHL then JVR did. He would of been likely given 1st line minutes every night in the AHL and maybe it would of worked out different.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
he didnt pick up any bad habits. some people just love to speculate that just because when he left UNH for the pros that he wasnt the player they thought they were getting. Hindsite being what it is I am sure the Flyers would of stuck him in the AHL for at least 1 season. Even Claude Giroux spent more time in the AHL then JVR did. He would of been likely given 1st line minutes every night in the AHL and maybe it would of worked out different.
Ahh okay. Judging from stats alone, he looks to be a solid second liner and I remember some of him from the playoffs a few years ago. But yeah, I can see a year in the AHL, especially after college being good for any player.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Ahh okay. Judging from stats alone, he looks to be a solid second liner and I remember some of him from the playoffs a few years ago. But yeah, I can see a year in the AHL, especially after college being good for any player.
I'm pretty sure the Flyers didn't want JvR to do that second year of college. But, really, it's hard to say if going a different route would have been better for him. Would Luke Schenn have turned out different if he didn't go straight to the NHL? I think sometimes, perception, isn't quite reality. I mean, Brendan Smith's name gets thrown around the prospect board as one of the top 5 defensive propects while Luke Schenn's name gets thrown around as a huge bust. Luke Schenn is younger than Brendan Smith.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Krishna

Quote:
And yes, JVR most certainly did develop bad habits during his time at UNH. He earned a reputation for not giving it his all at that time and it certainly came up during the 2009 WJC tournament. I'm willing to bet that if he did go to one of those other schools where he would have had to earn his ice time, he would have been a much better and much more complete player and there would have been no questions about his heart or effort.

From bobbyclarkfan16

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Mgkibbles

Maybe.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
And yes, JVR most certainly did develop bad habits during his time at UNH. He earned a reputation for not giving it his all at that time and it certainly came up during the 2009 WJC tournament. I'm willing to bet that if he did go to one of those other schools where he would have had to earn his ice time, he would have been a much better and much more complete player and there would have been no questions about his heart or effort.

From bobbyclarkfan16
James did develop bad habits at UNH, that is why the Flyers wanted him to play where he would not be coddled. I hope that this trade lights a fire under his ass for his sake. But really I could careless about him now as it's time to look ahead and hope that Luke becomes the steady top four dman we need.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Dr. Octagon

The route he took is irrelevant, he can clearly be an elite scorer if he plays hard all the time. His only problem is between his ears. Better conditioning would help too...he seems a bit doughy

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:25 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
The route he took is irrelevant, he can clearly be an elite scorer if he plays hard all the time. His only problem is between his ears. Better conditioning would help too...he seems a bit doughy
this. exactly this. he's got the tools. his effort and focus are what keep him from being consistent.

most of the time he's out there he is the biggest, fastest and most skilled player on the ice...and yet hes invisible most of the time. frustrating as hell

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
[good clean fun]Clearly, he was saving his efforts for scholarly activities

Anyway, don't anyone get their panties in a twist, I'm kidding and I know I'm probably doing him injustice, but there's just no way that I'm now not going to think of a guy wanting more to party than to go through the rigours of CHL every time someone mentions his name

What was his major, anyway?[/good clean fun]

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

hopefully Scott Laughton doesnt develop bad habits in junior hockey.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:04 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I'm good friends with an ex-Portland WinterHawk; every time he'd come over and watch a game he'd carry on about how JvR would never reach his full potential for us. I mostly agreed.

He has such obvious skill, but a tour in the OHL (or WHL) would have made him a fiery competitor on a more consistent basis, I think.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
hopefully Scott Laughton doesnt develop bad habits in junior hockey.
Nah, not worried. But if he does transfer to UNH I may change my tune

Old
10-27-2012, 03:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I'm good friends with an ex-Portland WinterHawk; every time he'd come over and watch a game he'd carry on about how JvR would never reach his full potential for us. I mostly agreed.

He has such obvious skill, but a tour in the OHL (or WHL) would have made him a fiery competitor on a more consistent basis, I think.
I'm wondering if playing in the OHL might have crushed him. New country, demanding schedule, who knows, maybe it would have been too much for him at a young age. He just doesn't seem to have the drive from within to match his talent.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I'm wondering if playing in the OHL might have crushed him. New country, demanding schedule, who knows, maybe it would have been too much for him at a young age. He just doesn't seem to have the drive from within to match his talent.
It is starting to sound like JVR may be a bit of a Mamma's boy. Say it aint' so.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
It is starting to sound like JVR may be a bit of a Mamma's boy. Say it aint' so.
Just seems he might not have been ready to leave his comfort zone. So many times CHL teams will draft a European player who ends up miserable and leaves a few weeks in. JvR might have been the same way. We'll never know!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
so hes like Lindros in that regard

Quote:
Nah, not worried. But if he does transfer to UNH I may change my tune
true because players dont develop bad habits or arent coddled in junior hockey.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
First off, I'm an OHL fan so I'm probably biased.

JVR was drafted to Brampton, and would have played alongside Matt Duchene and Cody Hodgson on a team that went to the OHL Finals. Brampton's coach is extremely good, and while they play boring-as-**** style, JVR would have learned a two-way game in a quasi-professional setting, schedule, and training program.

Would it have made a difference? Impossible to say, but I can't imagine it would have hurt his hockey development.
This. no arguement is even close. close thread.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:00 PM
tuckrr

YES. /thread

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
you would be correct.
I am not going to deny that UNH isnt a elite college hockey school. But I am not going to listen to anyone trash the way the school i support deals with the young players in their program. Its crap.
How many years did he play at UNH? I don't recall. Not a really good program - not a really good league. Did he face any future NHL defenseman? To me that's not too good. There was a reason Holmgren wasn't happy about it. Granted he took the risk knowing that's what he wanted to do.

If he enters the OHL and plays for Brampton - he has nowhere near as much fun as he did poking coeds at UNH which may be what motivated him (can't fault him for it)

If he enters the OHL and plays for Brampton - he learns to work, loses his baby fat quicker, plays on a smaller surface against real defenseman and he DEVELOPS FASTER.

Would he end up a better player overall? Somewhere between maybe and probably I guess. I think he would be much further along and would have had a better career if he hadn't taken the easy route. That's what he did - he took the easy route. Can't really blame him as that would make me a hypocrite. I tested into a very nice spot in the Air Force after college but decided to just **** off for years until I grew up instead...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Viller

No doubt in my mind he would have been better off in the OHL. You have to remember that he took an extra year in college too, wich was definately detrimental to his pro development.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
This. no arguement is even close. close thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
YES. /thread
Nope.

11-05-2012, 12:39 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Nope.
Power has changed you.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote