2012 Prospect Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Beegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Bulmer and Larsson were on a line and were terrible. Larsson went to Granlund's line and picked up 2 points in a game. I'm sure they are adjusting to the speed of the opposing teams.

If anything, that's the downside for this club being so young. Offensive players would likely adjust early but defensive guys might take a while.

That said I'm not a big Bulmer guy. I am expecting big things from Larsson though.
I think once a few of the studs move up to the NHL(Granlund, Coyle/Zucker) It will be great for guys like Bulmer/Larsson to develop as key offensive contributors as well.

They need to round out there game.

Same can be said for Zack Phillips, he needs top 6 time and PP minutes to be effective and he might not get a full chunk of that with a loaded Houston team

Ps-Im also very high on Larsson and hope Houston continues to find a way to get him in a top 6 role

Old
10-25-2012, 10:20 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Larsson's gunna be great, I've always liked him.

Phillips still lacks foots speed but I agree that he needs top 6 time.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:50 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

You guys do know that Phillips is centering the second line and is certainly getting top 6 time right?

Old
10-26-2012, 04:52 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Itinerant RIT fan, checking in for what will probably be the last time.

I just don't see a professional career in Hamburg. He did score his first goal tonight - throwing the puck at the feet of the goaltender from the corner on the power play to tie the game in the 3rd - but also took a bad penalty immediately after RIT had scored again to take the lead just as they had Robert Morris on the ropes. He was then on for RoMo's tying goal where both wingers (him being one) were MI.

It's not that it's all bad or that I hate his game, but I'd expect a guy with professional aspiriations to have more of an impact. He appears to be a smart player - though not one with great defensive instincts (Wilson has a couple of other freshmen PK'ing over him).

If he gets hot, and starts to look more like the player who deserved to be drafted, I'll be back. If not, it'd be best to let this ancient 7th rounder go

Old
10-26-2012, 05:15 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Itinerant RIT fan, checking in for what will probably be the last time.

I just don't see a professional career in Hamburg. He did score his first goal tonight - throwing the puck at the feet of the goaltender from the corner on the power play to tie the game in the 3rd - but also took a bad penalty immediately after RIT had scored again to take the lead just as they had Robert Morris on the ropes. He was then on for RoMo's tying goal where both wingers (him being one) were MI.

It's not that it's all bad or that I hate his game, but I'd expect a guy with professional aspiriations to have more of an impact. He appears to be a smart player - though not one with great defensive instincts (Wilson has a couple of other freshmen PK'ing over him).

If he gets hot, and starts to look more like the player who deserved to be drafted, I'll be back. If not, it'd be best to let this ancient 7th rounder go
i'm not even sure he is a wild prospect any more actually

Old
10-26-2012, 06:04 AM
lacrosseguy

Little frustrating at times when people post without watching a few games.

Larsson and Bulmer will be just fine---think they both will be good NHL'ers. Big transition from where they played previously, give them some time--Im a big Larsson guy, lol, think alot of him. Bulmer has already proven he is capable of playing in the NHL.

Phillips and Granlund identical 5 0n 5 stats, 2 points and a plus 1, with Granlund playing one more game--Coyle 1 point 5 on 5 and a neutral plus/minus in 5 games. Phillips very quietly performs(and will continue to improve)-and keep in mind he and Brodin(whose been tremendous) are both only 19 and 2011 draft players. While Granny, Zucker, Coyle, Larson, Bulmer are 2010 draft guys--so in the hockey world are a year ahead.

All and all--a pretty solid start by all of the young guys, with the expected growing pains evident, but nonetheless I for one am pretty excited about this group.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bulmer never put up big points in the CHL. I can't think there are many big time offensive players who never scored as juniors. If he cracks the top six for the Wild, that's probably not going to be a good thing.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
nickschultzfan

Larsson, Bulmer, and Phillips all need extensive time in the AHL. They are good players but don't expect them on the Wild anytime soon.

Zucker is closer, because of his speed and shot, but there needs to be a legitmate discussion whether he's got goal scorer potential at the NHL level. Because I think he does. And if so, getting 1st line duty in Houston for at least a year could be better than just turning him into a NHL 3rd liner who can chip in 10-15 goals pure year. If we handle him right, he could be a 30 goal guy for us. Or at least as good and Setoguchi.

Coyle might have trouble with the speed of the NHL game at first. From what I seen, he's a solid player who knows where to be on the ice, but he's got to learn to dominate the AHL first.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
P10p

Anyone have any info of Bussieres lately?

Seems to kinda be picking it up with 5g 5a in 13 games.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Larsson, Bulmer, and Phillips all need extensive time in the AHL. They are good players but don't expect them on the Wild anytime soon.

Zucker is closer, because of his speed and shot, but there needs to be a legitmate discussion whether he's got goal scorer potential at the NHL level. Because I think he does. And if so, getting 1st line duty in Houston for at least a year could be better than just turning him into a NHL 3rd liner who can chip in 10-15 goals pure year. If we handle him right, he could be a 30 goal guy for us. Or at least as good and Setoguchi.

Coyle might have trouble with the speed of the NHL game at first. From what I seen, he's a solid player who knows where to be on the ice, but he's got to learn to dominate the AHL first.
Agreed with all of that. Good take.

I'm going to be disappointed if Larsson doesn't pick it up in the next couple months.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
You guys do know that Phillips is centering the second line and is certainly getting top 6 time right?
Realize this..nobody said he wasn't?(or at least in my post) All I said that he needs top 6 time and PP time to be effective. To elaborate more on that I think that when/IF the NHL ever starts playing again Phillips will become more of a force in Houston because he will be on the TOP units PP and even strength alike.

If just Granlund makes the Wild that throws Phillips centering Coyle and Zucker, one with who he has already showed great chemistry with.

My point? He will develop much better with those two offensively than he will playing with a Kris Foucault all season.

I think that right now the lockout is a blessing in disguise for guys like Bulmer, Larsson, Phillips because they aren't relied on at the AHL level yet and therefore the pressure is down and spotlight is not on them. They can acclimate to the game and get accustomed to professional hockey, or hockey in North America(Larsson) and grow into full rounded players. Then when the time is right they will be relied on offensively as well.

Once that time comes then need to show that they can produce offensively in the AHL to further there aspirations of being solid top 6/9 NHL players.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

This is as solid as a post I've read in awhile.

The only thing I may disagree with you a bit is Bulmer, I realize his start was bad this year but don't forget that he did make the Wild out of camp last year and I don't think that Mike Yeo and staff forgot about him...

Just because of the nature of his game and that 9 game stint he may be closer to making the team than Coyle, Zucker, Larsson. (not saying that I think he is more NHL ready, but if it comes down to picking between two even players that may factor into it)

Old
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Bulmer never put up big points in the CHL. I can't think there are many big time offensive players who never scored as juniors. If he cracks the top six for the Wild, that's probably not going to be a good thing.
I think you're overstating the "Bulmer never scored in juniors" angle. In his 19 year old season, he put up over PPG and 0.64 GPG. For his CHL career as a whole he was just under PPG (0.85). His CHL stats are better than Burrows' and very similar to Lucic's (though Lucic's career arc makes comparisons difficult). It's not like Bulmer had much to work with in Kelowna either. He was second on his team in scoring, had the third most assists, and led them in goals.

I'm not going to say that Bulmer will be an offensive stud. He could easily end up a 3rd or 4th liner depending upon how he finishes developing. But the player many of us see him developing into put up worse offensive stats than he did. Those stats really weren't that bad anyway. I know you like to point to Brodziak's stats, but he was playing with Fleischman, Brouwer, and Boychuk. Yeah, Clutterbuck put up better stats than Bulmer, but he was playing with Tavares, Del Zotto, and AHL All-Star Brett MacLean. Bulmer's been playing with McColgan (2011-5th) and Sissons (2012-2nd) (note, those are some of the top scorers on the teams, not necessarily linemates). Excuse me if I don't overreact.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Realize this..nobody said he wasn't?(or at least in my post) All I said that he needs top 6 time and PP time to be effective. To elaborate more on that I think that when/IF the NHL ever starts playing again Phillips will become more of a force in Houston because he will be on the TOP units PP and even strength alike.

If just Granlund makes the Wild that throws Phillips centering Coyle and Zucker, one with who he has already showed great chemistry with.

My point? He will develop much better with those two offensively than he will playing with a Kris Foucault all season.

I think that right now the lockout is a blessing in disguise for guys like Bulmer, Larsson, Phillips because they aren't relied on at the AHL level yet and therefore the pressure is down and spotlight is not on them. They can acclimate to the game and get accustomed to professional hockey, or hockey in North America(Larsson) and grow into full rounded players. Then when the time is right they will be relied on offensively as well.

Once that time comes then need to show that they can produce offensively in the AHL to further there aspirations of being solid top 6/9 NHL players.
Your words:

Phillips will benefit when players move up to the NHL level because he needs top 6 time.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He put up points as a giant 19 year old though. I can't see him putting up more than say 20-20 numbers in the NHL. He should make it but likely as a pest who chips in offense like Clutterbuck, Ott, or Cooke.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
He put up points as a giant 19 year old though. I can't see him putting up more than say 20-20 numbers in the NHL. He should make it but likely as a pest who chips in offense like Clutterbuck, Ott, or Cooke.
You keep trying to make it sound like he was an overager; he wasn't. He scored goals at the same pace as Charlie Coyle despite the fact that Coyle was on one of the highest scoring teams in the CHL. Yet people rant and rave, not just about how Coyle's CHL play was acceptable for someone of his age and size, but many people point to it as evidence that he's going to be a scoring star.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Coyle jumped to that team mid-season and put up big points there, but unreal points in the playoffs. Small sample size though and I think it overstates his potential to be honest. I just think Coyle has more skill and plays more of a scoring game than Bulmer.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Coyle jumped to that team mid-season and put up big points there, but unreal points in the playoffs. Small sample size though and I think it overstates his potential to be honest. I just think Coyle has more skill and plays more of a scoring game than Bulmer.
Coyle's playoff numbers were from beating up on the worst teams in the Q. He put up 34 points in 17 games, but didn't he and Phillips go 3 PPG through the first two series? If I have those figures correctly, he really went more or less 10 points in 9 games, which is good, but nothing to get too excited about.

But Coyle and Bulmer put up very similar numbers, as same aged, same sized players. But somehow Bulmer's stats are used to "prove" he won't score at the NHL level while Coyle's are used to "prove" he will.

Edit to add: Bulmer was 25th in WHL goal scoring last year. Only 24 players in the entire league scored more than him. In 26th place was Sven Baertschi.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
I wish Coyle had the physical element that Bulmer has - the extra dimension would make him such a better player.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:22 PM
nickschultzfan

Bulmer could be a bottom-6 checker this season. But, is that what we want of him?

He's got a lot, and I mean a lot, of potential. He could be that 20-25 goal, physical, annoying-as-hell winger that every single NHL team wants in the playoffs. But he still has a lot to learn in protecting the puck, reading the play, gaining muscle, picking his head up to make the smart pass or shot, playing defense, etc.

Put him on the Wild behind our current roster, and his range is Gillies to Clutterbuck.

Give him 2 more years, and his range will be Clutterbuck to a bigger Burrows.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Your words:

Phillips will benefit when players move up to the NHL level because he needs top 6 time.
Your arguing that he won't?? He most certainly will benefit when Granlund and maybe a Zucker/Coyle or Bulmer/Larsson is gone to Minnesota.

He isn't on the top PP and doesn't get as many minutes as he would with a couple of those guys gone.

Find it odd your arguing with me here?

Old
10-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Nsjohnson

Tyler Graovoc with another hat trick, five point night. Leads OHL in goals, tied fifth in points.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
Tyler Graovoc with another hat trick, five point night. Leads OHL in goals, tied fifth in points.
Wow maybe I should change my avy to the best 67

Old
10-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Wow maybe I should change my avy to the best 67
Graovoc certainly has the size (6'4'' 205- can add a few more lbs this offseason although I'm not so sure tons more weight suits his game) and skill to play in the NHL. Very good hands, accurate shot, good skater. If he shows that he truly has grown as a player and can be responsible and consistent I think he could be a top six player, easily. The way he plays and his hands remind me of Corey Perry during his OHL days- although he won't what Perry is so don't bark at me for the comparison.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post

Closed Thread