HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Finland @ 2013 World Junior Championships

Old
10-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Eidyia

vCash: 500
Salomäki is doing his military service at the moment... I don't know how much of an effect that'll have on one's performance? Armia seems to be doing fine and he is in the same situation.

But in history, it's not uncommon for Finnish elite juniors (in any sports) to have a massive drop in points when they have to go trough with this ancient bullcrap...

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Patrik Parkkonen overall solid (unlike most Ässät's defencemen) yesterday against Blues with his 13 minutes. Will likely/hopefully continue today against TPS. Kinda reminds me of last year's Tommi Taimi.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:16 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Damn the prospects of this squad are looking good as of now. At least what comes to skaters. More guys than we can fit in the roster putting up quality showings in SM-liiga night after night.

Nice to hear Parkkonen looked solid. Was also good to notice that Teräväinen seems to be finding himself. Best also go on record and say that Lehkonen is making me look kinda silly with an assessment I made lately. But it is the kind of turncoating I'll be sort of happy to do.

But as usual, all this good news is followed by bit of the bad. There might be a minor trouble brewing between the posts. Ullberg, our designated starter at least for the moment, hasn't really looked all that impressive lately. He allowed four against HPK last night and from what I heard, at least two went in pretty cheap.

The closest contenders in Mestis seem to be doing, well, okay I guess. Decent enough percentages for Juvonen, Korpisalo and Perhonen with the last one seemingly having the best stats as of now.

Of course none of these guys (including Ullberg) have played that many games yet, three to five, so the sample size is far too small to draw any lasting conclusions. Still, this is definitely something to be watched.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Patrik Parkkonen overall solid (unlike most Ässät's defencemen) yesterday against Blues with his 13 minutes. Will likely/hopefully continue today against TPS. Kinda reminds me of last year's Tommi Taimi.
Played 15:28 against TPS and shot three times. Was again one of the best defencemen from Ässät.

Old
10-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Damn the prospects of this squad are looking good as of now. At least what comes to skaters. More guys than we can fit in the roster putting up quality showings in SM-liiga night after night.
Looks like we need a Canada-style evaluation camp.

Team White:

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Aleksi Mustonen - Robert Leino - Toni Kallela
Saku Salminen - Rasmus Kulmala - Matti Lamberg

Olli Määttä - Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell - Juuso Riikola
Joonas Valkonen - Petteri Lindbohm

Richard Ullberg
Janne Juvonen

Team Blue:

Teuvo Teräväinen - Aleksander Barkov - Henrik Haapala
Artturi Lehkonen - Miro Aaltonen - Juuso Ikonen
Henri Ikonen - Tomi Wilenius - Markus Hännikäinen

Ville Pokka - Mikko Vainonen
Niklas Tikkinen - Patrik Parkkonen
Mikko Lehtonen - Henri Auvinen

Samu Perhonen
Joonas Korpisalo

We've come a long way since 2007, thats for sure: http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft.php?year=2007

Last edited by Needles: 10-10-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: forgot Joonas Valkonen...
Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Looks like we need a Canada-style evaluation camp.

Team White:

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Aleksi Mustonen - Robert Leino - Toni Kallela
Saku Salminen - Rasmus Kulmala - Matti Lamberg

Esa Lindell - Juuso Riikola
Otso Rantakari - Petteri Lindbohm

Richard Ullberg
Janne Juvonen

Team Blue:

Teuvo Teräväinen - Aleksander Barkov - Henrik Haapala
Artturi Lehkonen - Miro Aaltonen - Juuso Ikonen
Henri Ikonen - Tomi Wilenius - Markus Hännikäinen

Ville Pokka - Mikko Vainonen
Niklas Tikkinen - Patrik Parkkonen
Mikko Lehtonen - Henri Auvinen

Samu Perhonen
Joonas Korpisalo

We've come a long way since 2007, thats for sure: http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft.php?year=2007

Looks like Team Defense vs. Team Offense to me

and jesus christ I had forgotten that's how bad we were doing.. probably tried to block it out

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Indeed. Even more so evident when you take a look at the team we sent into that year's competition.

As of roughly five years later, it's a squad that has managed to bag a grand total of one NHL games played (Helenius made it between the posts with Tampa). Seven players drafted, one first rounder (again, Helenius). The rest, fourth round or lower.

Out of this year's projected team, I count six guys I already know WILL make an appearance in the NHL, and roughly another six who have very high prospects to do so. Eight drafted players already, three first rounders (plus one early second), and at least four more slated to go next year, three of them projected first rounders.

So yeah. The way we've come... yes indeed.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Needles

Quote:
Indeed. Even more so evident when you take a look at the team we sent into that year's competition.
It would be interesting to see how many were playing in SM-liiga during WJC. IIRC, Sallinen and Lucenius had bottom six roles. Lehtivuori & Säteri probably also played with men at the time.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how many were playing in SM-liiga during WJC.
Not so hard to check. Just click their names and see where they played during 2007-08 season.

Quote:
IIRC, Sallinen and Lucenius had bottom six roles. Lehtivuori & Säteri probably also played with men at the time.
Actually, Säteri has no SM-liiga games logged for said season. Helenius played in WHL.

The defense was surprisingly seasoned. Jalvanti, Järvinen and Lehtivuori already had somewhat regular roles in their clubs with roughly 50 games logged for all. Malkamäki and Lajunen were semi-regulars with 20-30ish games logged. Though back then you could still dress 20 skaters a game so I can't say what the actual TOIs were.

Out of forwards, no guys with a full season's worth of games. Seven in the 20 to 30 category: Kemppainen, Lucenius, Malinen, Pöysti, Sallinen, Salminen and Wärn.

So pretty adequate after all, at least what comes to skaters. Though still, a far cry from this year's projection, where pretty much every skater not playing with Canadian juniors is a regular - and in a pretty significant role, I might add.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Needles

Quote:
Not so hard to check. Just click their names and see where they played during 2007-08 season.
True. But I was more referring to minutes, role etc. If you are 13th forward or getting ~5 mins per game, you are not really "playing". IIRC, at least Sallinen, Lucenius, Pöysti & Wärn mostly played in the fourth line. If you compare that situation to today's team, there's really a big difference. Our top9 forwards are actually getting top6 minutes in their teams etc.

It's funny actually. When SM-Liiga reduced the number of allowed players in the lineup (22 -> 20), everyone said that would hurt our young players. And Mestis was supposed to be the solution, the extra step between JrA and SM-Liiga. But when you look at our best skaters (Barkov, MaG, Armia, Teräväinen, Ristolainen, Lehkonen, Salomäki, Pokka, Aaltonen & J.Ikonen), you can't find many Mestis-games. I think Määttä is the only exception.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:59 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
Salomäki is doing his military service at the moment... I don't know how much of an effect that'll have on one's performance? Armia seems to be doing fine and he is in the same situation.

But in history, it's not uncommon for Finnish elite juniors (in any sports) to have a massive drop in points when they have to go trough with this ancient bullcrap...
No need to worry about that. Armia and Salomäki won't be in the army anymore except for a day or two when they return stuff's, give evaluations and so on, I think. Hockey players get army very easy these days, best Finnish juniors are there for 30-40 days, or even less. MG was 16 days. MAG got some vacation/sport duties on first week.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Juzmo
rip

Patrik Parkkonen loaned to LeKi for three games and it's a bit of a shame since based on this season he would be easily a top-6 defenceman for Ässät. Hopefully he gets some pp-time over in Mestis, then after the three games gets back to Ässät, gets some time on the pp here also and then I wake up.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:45 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Patrik Parkkonen loaned to LeKi for three games and it's a bit of a shame since based on this season he would be easily a top-6 defenceman for Ässät. Hopefully he gets some pp-time over in Mestis, then after the three games gets back to Ässät, gets some time on the pp here also and then I wake up.
I think a stint in Mestis is a good thing for Parkkonen. He gets to use his strengths more, and it's not like there's wont be any big and fast guys going at his teams goal so he'll have plenty of work to do defensively. Also Leki seems to have a strong group, which is a good thing.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Tormentor

U20 defencemen in SM-liiga (average ice time):
1 - Rasmus Ristolainen (TPS) 13 games (21:23)
2 - Ville Pokka (Kärpät) 10 games (18:16)
3 - Esa Lindell (Jokerit) 13 games (17:47)
4 - Henri Auvinen (JYP) 5 games (16:51)
5 - Niklas Tikkinen (Blues) 7 games (16:17)
6 - Juuso Vainio (HPK) 7 games (16:12)
7 - Juuso Riikola (KalPa) 9 games (16:01)
8 - Patrik Parkkonen (Ässät) 5 games (14:24)
9 - Petteri Lindbohm (Jokerit) 11 games (14:02)
10 - Mikko Lehtonen (TPS) 6 games (11:14)

U20 defensemen in Mestis (average ice time):
1 - Aleksi Salonen (JYP-Ak.) 13 games (20:19)
2 - Joonas Valkonen (KooKoo) 14 games (19:35)
3 - Roni Rukajärvi (Jukurit) 11 games (18:36)

+ Lindell, Auvinen, Lindbohm and Parkkonen have few games in Mestis as well.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Tormentor

I've been watching a few KalPa games lately because of Lehkonen, and I've been quite impressed by Juuso Riikola, he's showing some initiative on the ice. My personal favourites for the WJC team at the moment:

Esa Lindell - Ville Pokka
Petteri Lindbohm - Niklas Tikkinen
Joonas Valkonen - Juuso Riikola

Old
10-22-2012, 04:07 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

^You know already that we'll be running with 12+8 this time instead of the traditional 13+7?

The way I see it, Määttä, Ristolainen and Pokka are locks as it is. They'll be all OD, which leaves room for one more blueliner, and the it's a contest between Tikkinen, Lindell, Parkkonen and Riikola. And I have to say, I like the last as well for the job.

The remaining three are bound to be more defensively-minded. Of course some of the four above can also be fit into that role, but it also heightens the odds of the likes of Lindbohm, Valkonen, Auvinen and Vainonen.

Määttä - Ristolainen
Riikola - Pokka
Lindbohm - Vainonen
Valkonen

Would be my roll ATM. But we'll be far wiser when we see some of the preliminary NT games and how all the contenders fare.

I'm still far more concerned about the netminders.

Richard Ullberg, SaiPa - 3GP - 86,59% - 3,68GAA
---
Janne Juvonen, Peliitat - 6GP - 89,41% - 3,00 GAA
Joonas Korpisalo, KiVa - 7GP - 90,26% - 3,02 GAA
Samu Perhonen, JYP-A - 4GP - 90,91& - 2,96 GAA

Ullberg seems to be in a pretty bad slouch and isn't the most trusted face in SaiPa's locker room as of now. Out of the Mestis contenders, none have been spectacular, but not bad either. Perhonen has the best stats, but least games. Korpisalo looks best overall, given that he's been playing consistently.

But like I said, I suppose we'll hopefully be a bit wiser come the NT break. I'd still not be willing to write Ullberg off for the starter job.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
^You know already that we'll be running with 12+8 this time instead of the traditional 13+7?
I like all 8 and just didn’t know who to drop. I agree that the goalie situation looks hairy.

--

Apparently the U20 team and the “U19 team” will play against each other before the NT break at Nordis. Would be nice to see that game, but sadly it's played at the middle of the day on Wednesday (7th of October). Link to the "ice time list". If someone is able to go, report would be much appreciated.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:39 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Lehkonen - Granlund - Armia
Salomäki - Barkov - Haapala
Teräväinen - Aaltonen - Ikonen
Salminen - Hännikäinen - Lamberg

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:12 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Lehkonen - Granlund - Armia
Salomäki - Barkov - Haapala
Teräväinen - Aaltonen - Ikonen
Salminen - Hännikäinen - Lamberg
Something like this. 'Cept Hännikäinen isn't a centre.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Mestaruus

I'm also bit worried about our goalies. Other than that the team is going to have a great roster. Just hoping there wont be any major injuries before the tournament. Also what I find positive is having someone else but Raipe as a coach. The guy just didn't have enough experience for a job as important as that yet.

Does anyone know who has the television rights for U-20 in Finland this year? Is it MTV3 (Max) again?

Last edited by Mestaruus: 10-26-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:44 AM
ToBBa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
Does anyone know who has the television rights for U-20 in Finland this year? Is it MTV3 (Max) again?
CMore (Canal+) shows our games like last year.

Ullberg/Juvonen

Määttä - Ristolainen
Pokka - Vainonen
Riikola - Valkonen
Lindell

Teräväinen - Barkov - Armia
Salomäki - Granlund - Lehkonen
Ikonen - Aaltonen - Haapala
xxx - xxx - xxx

I'd like to see Barkov and Armia in the same line. On the other hand, they're our lone big forwards so 2nd and especially 3rd line would be kinda small.

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Mestaruus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa View Post
CMore (Canal+) shows our games like last year.
Yle needs to step up and get the right already...

Really not clever to break Barkov and Haapala.

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

With what money?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:

Canal+ is a lot better than YLE.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:15 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
With what money?
This money?