HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-26-2012, 05:49 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Interesting read in Puck Rakers this morn. http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ushing-it.html

Could we see a team devoid of all the young guns who can stay in Springfield or juniors if there is an abbreviated season? Makes a lot of sense to me especially if it winds up being a 42 gamer or something like that.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:46 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Could we see a team devoid of all the young guns who can stay in Springfield or juniors if there is an abbreviated season? Makes a lot of sense to me especially if it winds up being a 42 gamer or something like that.
I don't think he said anything that would suggest that. I don't think he'll have a promising d-man come up to ride the pine as the 7th d-man, but we have 13 forwards including Johansen and Atkinson. Math alone suggests we'll have to have one up here unless we go the FA route.

As it should have been all along, they will be analyzed for their readiness. If they are, they will play. If not we will look for stop gaps. You know, what some around here have been proposing all along? Something that Howson did not do.

I don't think a half season means anything.

All this tells me is that we better hope Howson did a bang up job with this current roster. It may be years of additional frustration otherwise. It doesn't seems like he is going to be hitting the FA market hard, so it will be stop gap veterans. He's already setting expectations, so don't be surprised if he follows through. He's already sold patience to ownership, they've got years of free rides ahead of them.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Not blown off, numbers game. He clearly wasn't good enough as he hasn't had a productive season since.
What numbers? For whatever reason he worked in the role we gave him, we don't know what is fate would have been had he stayed. He was going to be inexpensive, there really wasn't much risk in a short term deal. If nothing else he illustrated something we needed in the bottom six that Howson did not replace.

He was blown off. There is nothing wrong with that statement. If you are deemed "not good enough" they don't extend a contract offer. That is "blowing someone off".

Old
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
So are we shooting for quantity of quality? The point I've made and no one can really debate it so they don't. There is no metric you can use to justify Howson's continued employment. Howson can't run on his record.

If Howson remains it's by the charity of others. Howson may be a very smart guy and ultimately he may turn out to be a good GM, even here. Having said that he has a lot to prove and he's put himself in a very vulnerable position.
Let's face it, Howson's role is already so diminished that I start to question why he's even there. Davidson is there for the big picture and Patrick is there to help Howson with the details. Which leaves Scott to do what exactly?

You have to wonder what real authority Howson has at this point. Is the guy essentially GM in name only?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Let's face it, Howson's role is already so diminished that I start to question why he's even there. Davidson is there for the big picture and Patrick is there to help Howson with the details. Which leaves Scott to do what exactly?

You have to wonder what real authority Howson has at this point. Is the guy essentially GM in name only?
Dude your hate for the guy is clouding your view. We are now getting close to what every other organization in the Nhl has, a competent front office. Decisions are always best made, when you actually have qualified people to discuss the pro's and cons. You have alot better chance to get things right this way. Up till recently, Howson was basically the only person in this role , in our whole orginization. Then Patrick was brought in, and that has definately helped. Howson was a rookie Gm, that basically was brought in with little support.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

I don't know why Ken Holland is even in Detroit any more. He's got Jim Devallano handling the big picture and Jim Nill there for the details, so what's Holland's real function outside of being a figurehead?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I don't know why Ken Holland is even in Detroit any more. He's got Jim Devallano handling the big picture and Jim Nill there for the details, so what's Holland's real function outside of being a figurehead?

Yeah, that'll be the last time anyone compares Ken Holland and Scott Howson.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Wasn't Davidson supposed to be our good news? Look at how argumentative things are!

Clearly he's failed. Fire Davidson.
commentary.

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
What numbers? For whatever reason he worked in the role we gave him, we don't know what is fate would have been had he stayed. He was going to be inexpensive, there really wasn't much risk in a short term deal. If nothing else he illustrated something we needed in the bottom six that Howson did not replace.

He was blown off. There is nothing wrong with that statement. If you are deemed "not good enough" they don't extend a contract offer. That is "blowing someone off".
I remember that summer like it was yesterday. Howson didn't resign Williams because Brassard was coming back from injury, we were either going to keep Malhotra/get someone else (which we did), and we had just traded for vermette. They told Williams thanks, but no thanks. The Jackets liked him, but he wouldn't fit into the fold unless we traded a vet like Modin that summer. Williams wanted to come back, and if we didn't already have a crowded bottom 6, he would have.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
One of the most amusimg hockey analogies of all time. Thanks for the good laugh.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I follow KHL now so I dont see many infos about us but I am glad for this, really.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Dude your hate for the guy is clouding your view. We are now getting close to what every other organization in the Nhl has, a competent front office. Decisions are always best made, when you actually have qualified people to discuss the pro's and cons. You have alot better chance to get things right this way. Up till recently, Howson was basically the only person in this role , in our whole orginization. Then Patrick was brought in, and that has definately helped. Howson was a rookie Gm, that basically was brought in with little support.
To paraphrase Tina Turner, what's "hate" got to do with it?

Can anyone honestly tell me that that know exactly how the new chain of command will work in practice?

Less Howson is better. The net result of the additions of Patrick and Davidson is that Howson isn't the sole decision maker regarding the on-ice product and even you seem to agree that's a good thing. So, enjoy it instead of trying to make this into something it isn't.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Can anyone honestly tell me that that know exactly how the new chain of command will work in practice?
No. So therefore it seems presumptuous to wonder why Howson's "even there."

Old
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I remember that summer like it was yesterday. Howson didn't resign Williams because Brassard was coming back from injury, we were either going to keep Malhotra/get someone else (which we did), and we had just traded for vermette. They told Williams thanks, but no thanks. The Jackets liked him, but he wouldn't fit into the fold unless we traded a vet like Modin that summer. Williams wanted to come back, and if we didn't already have a crowded bottom 6, he would have.
We replaced Manny with Brassard. We replaced Peca with Sammy. We replaced Williams with.... No one.

I think you remember that off season like this board and Howson want you to. There was no numbers game. There was just as much room in the bottom six for Williams as there was the previous season. I'm not saying we should have brought back Williams, but I am saying that Howson did not address the loss in secondary scoring after Williams was not retained. We sure as hell weren't going to fill that with the garbage we thew on the ice, unless everyone was really really really worried about Blunden or Murray getting ice time. Can you say 13th and 14th forwards?

It was a debate I had with people that off season. You probably didn't agree with me then, so you sure as hell wouldn't have agreed with me now. I never could get people to understand that we didn't replace Manny with Sammy. We replaced Peca with Sammy. If I couldn't get that across, I wasn't going to anywhere with the finer details.

Last edited by blahblah: 10-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
No. So therefore it seems presumptuous to wonder why Howson's "even there."
Given his track record versus the guys above and beneath him, I don't think it is presumptuous at all.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Given his track record versus the guys above and beneath him, I don't think it is presumptuous at all.
So you're saying that someone does indeed have an idea how the new front office dynamic will work, and that person is you?

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
He's there because it's day two and Davidson didn't wake up this morning and decide to clean house. He either needs Howson or he needs to find another GM. The other option is to do it himself, which I don't think anyone wants.

He'll either decide to keep him or he won't. Hopefully the later, but whatever.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
So you're saying that someone does indeed have an idea how the new front office dynamic will work, and that person is you?
I say that this is a great poll question!

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:06 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

JD says Rimer's recommendation weighed heavily in his decision. Now blah is really gonna be upset.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...t_rid=10730580

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

IC Hockey show on TSN Radio 1290

Hey guys,

Just a heads up that we are having Aaron Portzline (12:30 pm cst) as well as John Davidson (1:30 pm cst) joining us on air tomorrow.

If you guys have any questions for either feel free to @tweet us @illegalcurve.

Illegal Curve Hockey Show on TSN Radio 1290.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
JD says Rimer's recommendation weighed heavily in his decision. Now blah is really gonna be upset.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...t_rid=10730580
Oh I gathered that from the original interview. Lord I hope Davidson is nothing like Rimer in regards to hockey knowledge.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:54 PM
STEVIE RAY BLUES

Just a St. Louis Blues fan checking in about John Davidson. What he will not do is fix everything wrong in the first year.............What he will do is
1. Tell the fan base the truth about where you are as an orginiiization
2. Let the people that know what they are doing with player development do their job.
3. Get rid of the people that are redundant and unproductive.
4. Instantly get the message across to vets that their jobs are not guaranteed.
5. Instantly let the rookies and younger players know that if their game isn't up to snuff someone else can do it.
6. He will tell the truth about how a player is playing at the time and will not publicly protect a player who is immature or just not getting the job done.(T.J. Oshie as a rookie).
7. Will give your Hockey team credibility because he has it himself.
8. Will expect the fan base to support your team once the team has done what it can to truly be a success.

In short I am a J.D. fan and believe he was the perfect man for the job in St. Louis. I also wish you all the best and believe he will do the same thing in Columbus. Here's to many great years beating each other's brains in. Lol.

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks Stevie Ray. Accountability never looked so good.

The Jackets/Blues games just got turned up a notch.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Socks
HeadFake

It's been a long while since a drunken post. By me but here goes: I am so fuxning sick and tired of the *****ing and moaning about whether Scotty stays or goes. He's here , JD's here, Patrick's here, get over it. Conversely he may not at some point be hers, JD may not at some point be here(although that's so highly doubtful as to be impossible At this point) Patrick man not be here at some point, get over it.

My two drunken cents.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
It's been a long while since a drunken post. By me but here goes: I am so fuxning sick and tired of the *****ing and moaning about whether Scotty stays or goes. He's here , JD's here, Patrick's here, get over it. Conversely he may not at some point be hers, JD may not at some point be here(although that's so highly doubtful as to be impossible At this point) Patrick man not be here at some point, get over it.

My two drunken cents.
Should've gone with unpossible.

My Saturyday morning coffee ha'penny.

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote