HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL cancels all games in November.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:13 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

vCash: 500
I am disappoint.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:15 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
The winter classic takes a ton of preplanning and investment. They can't make that one happen two weeks in advance.
and several months ago Daly was spitting out they could cancel the game as late as Dec 30....

found on NY Times.. it says upto Dec. 31 they could cancel it
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/sp...=3&ref=sports&

which NHL lie to believe ?

Last edited by MarkhamNHL: 10-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.
MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:20 PM
no1b4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
and several months ago Daly was spitting out they could cancel the game as late as Dec 30....

Sure that can cancel it a couple days before but they would have to start preparing to have the game in Nov. If they don't it won't happen anyway.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:

found on NY Times.. it says upto Dec. 31 they could cancel it
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/sp...=3&ref=sports&

which NHL lie to believe ?
How late they can cancel it has nothing to do with how far in advance they have to plan it. Do you seriously believe they can start advertising, selling tickets, building the ice, getting corporate sponsors, etc. etc. etc. on THE DAY OF THE GAME, as said in that article? Please. You're obviously not thinking this through if you think that's somehow a lie.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:32 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
How late they can cancel it has nothing to do with how far in advance they have to plan it. Do you seriously believe they can start advertising, selling tickets, building the ice, getting corporate sponsors, etc. etc. etc. on THE DAY OF THE GAME, as said in that article? Please. You're obviously not thinking this through if you think that's somehow a lie.
uhm you do know they have been selling tickets already right

but my point is cancelling now is just a mockery as there is no need to do that at this time... it's just a tad early lol

Old
10-26-2012, 09:45 PM
mytor4*

Quote:

but my point is cancelling now is just a mockery as there is no need to do that at this time... it's just a tad early lol
Actually it's a tad too late and not enough. They should have cancelled it till Jan. Tell the PA don't bother us till after the new yr and state that when they do call it better be good because the next cancelation will be the rest of the season.
The NHLPA is such a joke.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:45 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
According to the contract the league signed with the University of Michigan to use its stadium for the Winter Classic, the NHL would recover all but $100,000 US of its $3-million rental fee if it was to cancel the event by Nov. 2 or sooner.

It's believed the league would stand to lose more than the estimated $30 million it earned from last year's Winter Classic if the 2013 edition was cancelled.
The league isn't going to pay millions up front for a game that may or may not happen, and that can be used against them as leverage at the bargaining table.

Source

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:31 PM
bromine

vCash: 50
The NHL has to compete with other forms of entertainment. For the 4th place league to piss of its fanbase to this extent would be mind-boggling if we weren't already used to getting treated like ****.

The NHL,, its owners AND players, have become a ****ing joke.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

vCash: 912
Is it at all possible for the Winter Classic to be rescheduled if we get some labor deals done AFTER it's been cancelled? For instance, maybe February instead of January.

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:56 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Actually it's a tad too late and not enough. They should have cancelled it till Jan. Tell the PA don't bother us till after the new yr and state that when they do call it better be good because the next cancelation will be the rest of the season.
The NHLPA is such a joke.
they should have cancelled the game til january ? WTF you make no sense...

I don't think the threat of cancelling the whole season would make ANYONE even bat an eyelash anymore

Old
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
Is it at all possible for the Winter Classic to be rescheduled if we get some labor deals done AFTER it's been cancelled? For instance, maybe February instead of January.
SXM was talking about (re-)scheduling of the Winter Classic today (perhaps on Power Play).

The comment was that this was conceived as a vehicle for NBC to fill "time" on New Years Day (between the Rose Bowl Parade and the start of the bowl games).

So, doubtful they'd do a "mid-week" (day or primetime) thing and definitely would avoid all the NFL hoopla on Sundays (in January, to Super Bowl).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
The NHL has to compete with other forms of entertainment. For the 4th place league to piss of its fanbase to this extent would be mind-boggling if we weren't already used to getting treated like ****.

The NHL,, its owners AND players, have become a ****ing joke.
That's the thing.

It's quite hilarious.

The NHL as is gets no media attention here in the US, yet they somehow think they're big dogs and we'll automatically recover. They may eventually, but it may also take much longer. People will move on.

**** this league.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Two Questions:

1) If the first month or so of the Regular Season really doesn't earn much for the League, then why not shorten the Season and make all games value a bit more?

2) Just how many teams spent close to the Cap Floor last Season? If players salaries are costing so many teams too much, you'd think that at least half the teams in the League would've spent the minimum in order to keep those expenses as low as possible.
(And if someone argues that teams spend more than the minimum in order to be competitive,,,... Good argument then for not having the Cap Floor be even lower!)

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:34 PM
mytor4*

[QUOTE=MarkhamNHL;55314375]they should have cancelled the game til january ? WTF you make no sense...

I don't think the threat of cancelling the whole season would make ANYONE even bat an eyelash anymore[/QUOT

I do agree with the start of your statment where you say i don't think.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post

1) If the first month or so of the Regular Season really doesn't earn much for the League, then why not shorten the Season and make all games value a bit more?

2) Just how many teams spent close to the Cap Floor last Season? If players salaries are costing so many teams too much, you'd think that at least half the teams in the League would've spent the minimum in order to keep those expenses as low as possible.
1) An excellent idea and one I favour, season starting in mid-October with Playoffs over by the end of April, early May at the latest. Problem of course is the teams are counting on the full 41 home game stands, pre-season & playoff gates. Fewer games would mean higher ticket prices in order to cover the costs, eating into concessions & parking revenues etc.

2) I dont know. But without addressing the fundamentals, from location to optimum size, number of games played, open & honest accounting, this dump truck of a leagues' goin nowhere.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:51 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Two Questions:

(And if someone argues that teams spend more than the minimum in order to be competitive,,,... Good argument then for not having the Cap Floor be even lower!)
(1) Because shortening the season wouldn't make each game worth more. It would just reduce revenues.

(2) But it's so unequivocally not a good argument against lowering the cap. If the cap were set at $10M/season, it's not like all 30 teams would suddenly become uncompetitive. Whoever spent the limited amount they were allowed to the most effectively would be the most competitive. So if teams are losing money because they're spending more than they take in trying to be competitive, lower how much they're allowed to spend. It will in no way make the entire league uncompetitive. It's impossible for that to even happen, somebody spending $10M/year in that scenario would have to win the cup, and the fans would all be happy.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:00 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
(1) Because shortening the season wouldn't make each game worth more. It would just reduce revenues.

(2) But it's so unequivocally not a good argument against lowering the cap. If the cap were set at $10M/season, it's not like all 30 teams would suddenly become uncompetitive. Whoever spent the limited amount they were allowed to the most effectively would be the most competitive. So if teams are losing money because they're spending more than they take in trying to be competitive, lower how much they're allowed to spend. It will in no way make the entire league uncompetitive. It's impossible for that to even happen, somebody spending $10M/year in that scenario would have to win the cup, and the fans would all be happy.
1) Well, I've been hearing around here that losing the first month or so isn't a big deal to the owners because not much is gained in revenue at this time, that in fact it is a losing time for many teams.

2) I wasn't focusing on the argument of not lowering the Cap Floor (I just commented that doing that wasn't my point). My point was, that if salaries are costing teams too much, one would think that 1/2 the League would've been trying to spend near the Cap Floor. Was that in fact the case? I've never heard anything to that affect. But yet, owners are saying that they were being forced to spend too much.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Confucius

Quote:

Owners are making a mockery of the whole thing. They have no intention of playing this year. Now they have taken their puck and went home. NHL owners - world's biggest suckholes.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:43 PM
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Keep cancelling games until the players wake up.

I'd love to see a nice sum of all the money they are losing.. its so great and so deserved.
The players aren't on strike; they were locked out.

This is the owners' plan.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post

Only one side has even attempted to make type of movement and that is the owners.

It may be a lockout, but it might as well be a strike.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:40 AM
NickyMaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post

The players have a plan too, which involves elimination of the salary cap and delinking profits, none of which is going to happen. The players are being very poorly served by Fehr in this situation. They are holding out for something which they'll never get.

True, the players have been locked out, but their (& Fehr's) stupidity and stubbornness in this entire ordeal has shifted the blame (in my mind) to them.

This lockout will end when the players realize Fehr will never deliver and they take the best deal.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:20 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiuozu View Post
It wouldn't effect the owners. It would affect the players and the Fans.
Tell that to Nashville who just paid Weber 13 million and will do so again on July 1st 2013 with or without a NHL game played.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:50 AM
TheOneArmedMan

Looks like I'm going to be supporting my AHL team until the NHL can get their **** together.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Ok. Both sides can play your money game while we the fans are the only losers. To hell with both of ya.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote