HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 06:09 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
No option for no deal?

I forgot, it was confirmed by "reports"
no.

you can start a "Luongo Trade is a Myth" thread though.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:14 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Say "Goodbye" to Reimer or Scrivens?
The writing is on the wall people. Luongo is on his way. It's just a matter of time.

Do you wonder about all these reports denying the trade? I'll tell you why they exist: There are players on this side involved. Bozak's name has been thrown around, but have you considered the most important names: Reimer and Scrivens. Which one goes to Van. in a trade?

i know you're going to tell me that Schneider and Lack lack will be the new tandem, but that can't be. the leafs cannot keep three goalies.

which one do i say "Goodbye" to?

which one:

1. Scrivens
2. Reimer
3. Bozak and minor roster players only. No goalies.

poll will close in 134 days
I'd say we don't make a deal for him.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Another day another closed thread for FSP.

I think one of them goes in the trade, or one following. If I had to guess, I think Burke keeps Reimer, he seems to like him. But I'm not totally convinced the rumours are true.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Say "Goodbye" to Reimer or Scrivens?
The writing is on the wall people. Luongo is on his way. It's just a matter of time.

Do you wonder about all these reports denying the trade? I'll tell you why they exist: There are players on this side involved. Bozak's name has been thrown around, but have you considered the most important names: Reimer and Scrivens. Which one goes to Van. in a trade?

i know you're going to tell me that Schneider and Lack lack will be the new tandem, but that can't be. the leafs cannot keep three goalies.

which one do i say "Goodbye" to?

which one:

1. Scrivens
2. Reimer
3. Bozak and minor roster players only. No goalies.
4. There is no deal

poll will close in 134 days
I chose the one in bold.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

I doubt its either of them. Canucks are stacked with goalie prospects and trading either of them leaves the Leafs or the Marlies short handed.

In the slight chance its one of them I think its Scrivens who goes.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Please tell me you're joking. If Vancouver is the goalie graveyard then Luongo and Schnieder are vampires. How does a goalie graveyard have two elite goaltenders? Both of them have thrived and been relatively successful there. If you don't think Toronto is the place where goalies go to die, ask Gustavsson, Toskala, Raycroft, Giguere, Pogge, Aubin, and more. The fact that Toronto hasn't kept a decent goaltender since Belfour more than proves its tougher to play there than in the place where they have two maybe even three top goaltenders if you include mister Lack.
Alex Auld
Murray Bannerman
Martin Brochu
Richard Brodeur
Gary Bromley
Bruce Bullock
Sean Burke
Frank Caprice
Jacques Caron
Dan Cloutier
Ed Dyck
Ken Ellacott
Bob Essensa
Mike Fountain
Troy Gamble
George Gardner
John Garrett
Glen Hanlon
Johan Hedberg
Rick Heinz
Corey Hirsch
Charlie Hodge
Arturs Irbe
Jason LaBarbera
Ken Lockett
Roberto Luongo
Drew MacIntyre
Cesare Maniago
Bob Mason
Dave McClelland
Steve McKichan
Kirk McLean
Rob McVicar
Alfie Michaud
Tyler Moss
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Félix Potvin (old)
Andrew Raycroft
Curt Ridley
Dany Sabourin
Curtis Sanford
Cory Schneider
Corey Schwab
Petr Skudra
Gary Smith
Garth Snow
Kevin Weekes
Steve Weeks
Kay Whitmore
Dunc Wilson
Wendell Young

In the last 40 years. Right now we are "stacked" but we have not had an elite goalie since luongo, It was torture.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:08 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I love the idea of having him for the next 3 to 5 years, after that not so much.
Couldnt agree more. Leafs need a goalie, and Lou would be a great fit, depending of course on the CBA and potential long term cap hit. Its possible he stretches his career, while playing later on in age and not putting up good numbers, combined with a 5.3 cap hit. Very few goalies have played at a high level in their later 30's, and Lou has seen plenty of rubber overy the years especially in Florida. He's got some miles on him.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Couldnt agree more. Leafs need a goalie, and Lou would be a great fit, depending of course on the CBA and potential long term cap hit. Its possible he stretches his career, while playing later on in age and not putting up good numbers, combined with a 5.3 cap hit. Very few goalies have played at a high level in their later 30's, and Lou has seen plenty of rubber overy the years especially in Florida. He's got some miles on him.
YA it really is the last 7 years or so of Luongos deal that sours him for me.

I wish we had picked up Vokoun last year. But unfortunately Reimer was the man.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
YA it really is the last 7 years or so of Luongos deal that sours him for me.

I wish we had picked up Vokoun last year. But unfortunately Reimer was the man.
I thought Vokoun was a big dissapointment. I wouldn't take him over Reimer at all.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Minimalist*

I'm willing to bet my entire life's savings that Komisarek is a deal breaker. If Toronto insists on dumping him in a Luongo deal, there will be no Luongo deal. Gillis will not under any circumstance be taking a dump back given our cap constraints. Especially on D. Remember, we have Ballard and his large contract on our bottom pairing.

Keep in mind, Gillis has let it be known that he will sit on Luongo until the trade deadline if he has to. His built a team which has back to back president's trophies and a SCF appearance. His job is not in question.

Burke on the other hand, the same cannot be said about.

This has the potential to turn out ugly for Toronto if Burke feels pressured to pull the trigger on a deal to save his job/make the playoffs.

We'll see how it all unfolds.

But yeah, Komisarek is a no go. You can pretty much ignore anyone putting him in a proposal.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:40 PM
RogerRoeper*

The Leafs don't need to dump Komisarek anyways. Look at their cap situation. It's terrific going into next season.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
DaveT83*

Lombardi is the salary dump if their is going to be one.

Connolly will be relyed upon to carry the load left by Bozak.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:52 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
If you think that, then why has luongo not been traded yet?.

Let's be realistic, Gillis want's value who can play NOW, Not prospects, or 1sts, etc.

Gillis is/was Asking for the moon, and has come down, but in no way has he come down to a salary dump.

He will gladly keep him, and trade him at the deadline if he has 2.
I fully agree. So tired of hearing proposing 2nd rounders and a marginal roster player in exchange of an elite goalkeeper.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
I fully agree. So tired of hearing proposing 2nd rounders and a marginal roster player in exchange of an elite goalkeeper.
Try and stay strong.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:54 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Try and stay strong.

I'll try, but one more a dirty toilet seats, a bag of pucks, 12 Burkie hotdogs and a 4th round pick for Luongo might do me in!

Old
10-26-2012, 05:06 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
I'm willing to bet my entire life's savings that Komisarek is a deal breaker. If Toronto insists on dumping him in a Luongo deal, there will be no Luongo deal. Gillis will not under any circumstance be taking a dump back given our cap constraints. Especially on D. Remember, we have Ballard and his large contract on our bottom pairing.

Keep in mind, Gillis has let it be known that he will sit on Luongo until the trade deadline if he has to. His built a team which has back to back president's trophies and a SCF appearance. His job is not in question.

This has the potential to turn out ugly for Toronto if Burke feels pressured to pull the trigger on a deal to save his job/make the playoffs.

But yeah, Komisarek is a no go. You can pretty much ignore anyone putting him in a proposal.
What track record is there for Burke mortgaging the future for the present? He's said time and time again, making decisions that benefit the club and decisions that protect the GM are mutually exclusive and if you start making the latter they'll just cost you your job anyways.

Gillis has no outs. If he sits on Luongo till the deadline, he won't get anything for Lu, who'll have sat out half the season and will be rusty, as I doubt they use him over Schneider.

Publicly, Luongo did all the right things, and didn't let it come out that he wanted to relocate. If Gillis still has Luongo on his roster when the season starts, that's a huge gaff and Gillis will get burned by it.

Toronto is the only team that Luongo is interested in playing for that also has interest in him. Tampa chose Lindback, Florida can't manage the bloated contract, and has a star in the making who'll be ready before Lu is ready to retire.

Burke won't be unfair in the trade, he'll give Gillis a fair offer, but fair offer is not Frattin+Gardiner+Kulemin+1st.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
What track record is there for Burke mortgaging the future for the present? He's said time and time again, making decisions that benefit the club and decisions that protect the GM are mutually exclusive and if you start making the latter they'll just cost you your job anyways.

- See heres the thing Burkes job IS in jeporday currently, he has been here nearly 4 years, very little progress and we are STILL a lottery team. Heck, even Burke publicly admitted that he so far has failed here, don't believe me? Then go look at a previous clip of "off the record" and you'll see what I mean. Burke needs to turn this team around, sorry but its been nearly 10 years since we've made the playoffs, something drastic needs to happen to turn this team around.

Gillis has no outs. If he sits on Luongo till the deadline, he won't get anything for Lu, who'll have sat out half the season and will be rusty, as I doubt they use him over Schneider.

Publicly, Luongo did all the right things, and didn't let it come out that he wanted to relocate. If Gillis still has Luongo on his roster when the season starts, that's a huge gaff and Gillis will get burned by it.

- Agreed, Luongo has been classy about it and hasn't whined to the media, he's stayed professional about this whole situation.

Burke won't be unfair in the trade, he'll give Gillis a fair offer, but fair offer is not Frattin+Gardiner+Kulemin+1st.
- Nobody has said that was the package, but it will cost something like a Kadri or a Kulemin (someone who is ready now), a salary dump (Komiserak or Lombardi) and a 2nd rounder, that will likely be the type of package beign sent the other way for Luo IF a trade even happens.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
- Nobody has said that was the package, but it will cost something like a Kadri or a Kulemin (someone who is ready now), a salary dump (Komiserak or Lombardi) and a 2nd rounder, that will likely be the type of package beign sent the other way for Luo IF a trade even happens.
I would give Komi, Lombardi and a second. Take it or leaaave it Gilligan.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:40 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
You are totally missing the point.....Gillis is not trading away an elite goalkeeper....he is trading away a terrible long term contract in what will be a more punitive cap system in the new CBA!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:05 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
His contract kills his value. You aren't getting that. It isn't about Luongo's talent.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I thought Vokoun was a big dissapointment. I wouldn't take him over Reimer at all.
Rather have the vet in net.

Just a steady calming influence behind this team is what I want.

But I won't pay. There are a ton of Goalies right now. Thomas sitting out raises the market a little bit but I am not paying top dollar for any goaltender.

Markstrom, in FLA, Bernier in LA, Schnieder in VAN, Hackett/Harding in NAS, there are plenty of goalies to go around.

LUongo's resume is why he hasn't been moved for a mid pick. What did Halak go for after being the best goalie on the planet for 6 weeks?

Without the longterm deal Gillis might get a 1st in return.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:04 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
You are totally missing the point.....Gillis is not trading away an elite goalkeeper....he is trading away a terrible long term contract in what will be a more punitive cap system in the new CBA!
I'm aware of his contract, and it does decrease his value to some degree. He's still a top goaltender and many here are just lowballing. Just wait and see what Luongo fetches. If its something like Komisarek, Connolly and a 2nd or any of numerous absurdities that are being thrown around here I'll be happy to eat crow. Gillis will get way more though, especially if Toronto wants Luongo. The goalie situation is so dire Burke has not choice but to overpay.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:53 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post

Has a playoff bound team ever made a trade for a starting goalie at the deadline?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:21 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Yes. It is rare though and I can not think of a good example at the moment.

Barrasso is the one I thought of and he was traded in March 2000 to Ottawa but I don't know if that was at the deadline.

Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 10-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.
NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
K19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I think anyone who doesn't want Luongo is probably a tank supporter. Let's cut the ******** we don't have a Markstrom, Subban, Holtby, Rask etc. waiting in the piplines that have starting goalie potential. We have Reimer/Scrivens/Rynnas/Owuya, 3 of those guys may never make it, and will likely top out as a back up goalie.

Luongo being 33 does not scare me, most goalies go till their 40 and remain competitive. Plus after the new CBA is settled and Van has to take care of when he retirements we have no worries.

Rielly, Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, JVR, Grabo, Finn and our 1st are going no where.

One of Kadri or Frattin may go along with a combination of either of: Bozak, Mac, Connolly, Lombardi, Franson, Colborne, Ashton etc. may go.

It's a move we can afford to make in my opinion.
I think this is a realistic and fair outcome.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote