HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WHL Report: 2012-2013

Old
10-21-2012, 12:00 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Is Josh Thrower Dalton's little brother?
Yes he is

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:10 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Yes he is
That's what I was assuming, but I wasn't sure. They sure can fight.

Not a whole lot to say about the Vancouver/Calgary game. I really wasn't impressed with anyone on Calgary (including Sylvester, who had a hattrick) and Vancouver wasn't much better. Musil played ok, and had a couple nice hits, but he was taken off the PP and they used Tvrdon instead... Which backfired massively since Kulak doesn't play a lick of defense. They gave up probably 4 or 5 shorthanded breakaways. Scott Cooke, who's a grinder/agitator/fighter, was probably Vancouver's best forward tonight. Houck had a couple monster hits, but that was about it for the Giants forwards. It was pretty much a game of who could play worse.

Couple updates on my previously mentioned people,

Fuhr has cooled down a lot, and although he's better than Liston, he's still pretty shaky

Houck is playing very well. He's scoring over a PPG and delivering some bone jaring hits every game. I'm hoping he doesn't play his way into a 1st round selection so we can look at him in the 2nd.

Ast simply had a good game the other day . He has some skill, but he's definitely more of a small, hardworking guy... Probably no future in the bigs

Orban has worked his way into a top 4 role and has played quite well, but he's probably going to wind up with a similar style game as Plante

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:11 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Don't know how many times I can say it, but Musil was once again the best player on the ice tonight against Brandon and got one of the 3 stars.

Houck also had a good game and added another goal and an assist bringing him up to 3-12-15 in 11 games so far. He could be a good, chippy middle 6 guy

Finally, Tyler Yaworski likely has a suspension coming for a dirty hit to the head on Cain Franson at the end of the game

Old
10-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Don't know how many times I can say it, but Musil was once again the best player on the ice tonight against Brandon and got one of the 3 stars.

Houck also had a good game and added another goal and an assist bringing him up to 3-12-15 in 11 games so far. He could be a good, chippy middle 6 guy

Finally, Tyler Yaworski likely has a suspension coming for a dirty hit to the head on Cain Franson at the end of the game
Since this is Musil's 2nd year after being drafted I'd expect him to be good, that said I'm glad that he is doing so well. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Barons uni next season.

10-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Usual_Suspect

MH up 9-0 tonight against Cgy tonight. Curtis Valk with 5 goals and an assist so far.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:51 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 0
Medicine Hat beat Calgary 10-1 tonight.

In Calgary.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:08 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

I see Shinkaruk really piled on the assists tonight. Is he looking any better, or still weak and lost?

Old
10-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I am the Liquor

He didnt impress me when I saw him last week.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:09 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He didnt impress me when I saw him last week.
Same here, but I think getting rattled early in the game might of been part of the reason for that.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:33 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Same here, but I think getting rattled early in the game might of been part of the reason for that.
He wasn't very good against Vancouver either

Old
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
He wasn't very good against Vancouver either
I guess there goes my theory. I think for sure he is missing have etem to feed too.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Fourier

And on queue Shinkaruk has a 4 point night with 2 goals and 2 assists against Regina.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:57 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
And on queue Shinkaruk has a 4 point night with 2 goals and 2 assists against Regina.
It's not that I don't think he's a good player. He very clearly has a lot of talent. I simply don't think he can handle being the go to guy against a strong defensive team.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:06 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

My god Jones is good. I would do terrible, terrible things to get him on our team. He went up against Kessey all night and Kessey couldn't even bump him off the puck. Plus he made a couple beautiful dangles.

I'm not sold on Pouliot (at least as far as his draft position). He looked pretty good and has tremendous talent, but he made a lot of boneheaded mistakes too.

Rattie was downright dominant tonight. He probably could have buried about 6 if Fuhr didn't keep robbing him. Fast as **** and sick hands to boot.

Petan was pretty quiet for most of the night, but was quite noticeable the brief period he appeared.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
40oz

Winterhawks could be in some trouble over player recruitment....
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...e-clipped.html

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Interesting, but very little meat to back that up atm.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:37 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Interesting, but very little meat to back that up atm.
Yah it doesnt sound like there is much to go on. Is this specifically about Seth Jones?

Also, life just got tougher for the Oil Kings as Rask was sent back to Calgary from the AHL.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

it seems like someone went "it's not fair they got Jones. Let's say they're breaking the rules"

Old
11-13-2012, 11:55 PM
I am the Liquor

I dont know. They said they heard from sources. There is probably something to it. I dont think those guys just throw stuff out there with no justification. We will have to wait and see if and when anything develops.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
it seems like someone went "it's not fair they got Jones. Let's say they're breaking the rules"
Yes, because that's how the media operates. Good Lord.

It's not my story but my co-host's but I can say without hesitation that Dean has no issue with the Winterhawks getting Jones or any other team getting any other player.

He only mentioned Jones in the story because he's the most recent big-name pick up by the team. He also went out of his way to explain that Jones could have absolutely nothing to do with the the investigation.

Seriously, why would an established media person just make stuff up? If anyone did that they would never get a job again or be taken seriously by anyone. And no one can say that about Dean and I would hope no would would think that of me either.

11-14-2012, 12:59 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 125
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post

It's not my story but my co-host's but I can say without hesitation that Dean has no issue with the Winterhawks getting Jones or any other team getting any other player.

He only mentioned Jones in the story because he's the most recent big-name pick up by the team. He also went out of his way to explain that Jones could have absolutely nothing to do with the the investigation.

Seriously, why would an established media person just make stuff up? If anyone did that they would never get a job again or be taken seriously by anyone. And no one can say that about Dean and I would hope no would would think that of me either.
I do not believe anyone is accusing Dean of making up the story Guy. I believe what The Nuge was saying with his comment was that one of the other WHL teams may have accused the Winterhawks of cheating because they got Jones, which resulted in the investigation. I do not believe he is attacking Dean's integrity as a journalist.

Though to answer your question as to why a person in the media (established or not) may publish a fabricated a story (cough...Jim Rome...Cough...Craddlegate...cough)? It is the same reason why anyone does something they aren't suppose to to, because they do not believe they would get caught or their sources are misinformed.

11-14-2012, 01:01 AM
rockinghockey

Thanks for the reading on Musil. I think he will be a legit top 4 shut down dman.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:02 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post

Because this is an internet forum, no place for logic!

I'm really intrigued to see how this plays out. Despite the reduction in sentence for the Spitfires, that was a pretty massive punishment. And with the constant stream of talent coming into Portland (like the Swiss players you mentioned on top of Jones) it'll be interesting how far this goes.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:11 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Because this is an internet forum, no place for logic!

I'm really intrigued to see how this plays out. Despite the reduction in sentence for the Spitfires, that was a pretty massive punishment. And with the constant stream of talent coming into Portland (like the Swiss players you mentioned on top of Jones) it'll be interesting how far this goes.
London deserves a real close look as well. If there is anyone in the WHL that is playing fast and loose it would likely be the Winterhawks, who always seem to get the best and brightest.

Ten bucks Portland ends up snagging Barzal too, who is waffling between Seattle and the NCAA. Sound familiar?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I believe what The Nuge was saying with his comment was that one of the other WHL teams may have accused the Winterhawks of cheating because they got Jones, which resulted in the investigation. I do not believe he is attacking Dean's integrity as a journalist.
Alright, fair enough. I could understand that if that's what he meant.

Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote