HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The NHL approaching uncharted territory

View Poll Results: As a result of this year, will the NHL have more or less support in the near future?
More 8 4.82%
Less 158 95.18%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
The NHL approaching uncharted territory

(also see poll.)

With a potential of 2 cancelled seasons since 2004, never has there been this much at risk.

If there is a cancellation (And the list goes on and I'm sure many of you can think of far more issues);

1. They can't grow the game this year.
  2. If I'm not mistaken, this is a 1st for any ''professional sports league'' in North America to cancel this consecutively. This creates a mockery of a league already struggling to be relevant and considered in many of its markets.
  3. Many fans are very bitter and angry, many casual fans will be lost. Can this possibly end-up being positive?
  4. Increase risk losing players for good, especially foreign superstars. Ovechkin et al.
  5. Risk of falling off the map in certain u.s markets
    etc
    etc.

Of course, both sides are adamant that what they are doing is for the best of the game and the future of the NHL

As a side poll, I'm asking: As a result of this year, will the NHL have more or less support in the near future?

edit; I should of read through my poll - I really want to know, will the league as we know it be better or worse off in the future.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:04 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
As a canadian I will come back. Fair weather fans will always be fair weather fans. Hockey fans are unique fans and we always come back. We are glutten for punishment

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:11 PM
wilty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
As a canadian I will come back. Fair weather fans will always be fair weather fans. Hockey fans are unique fans and we always come back. We are glutten for punishment
Basically this.

Until another league (one on this continent, preferably) pops up... I'll be back. I'll have a different opinion of some players on a personal and professional level but I'm not going to just stop watching them. I love the game too much.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Far less, and a steep hill to climb in winning back the loyalties of fans' & sponsors. Every game, with 326 lost, cancelled & counting as of this date another rung on the ladder they'll have to step up to in climbing out of the hole their digging for themselves.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Basically this.

Until another league (one on this continent, preferably) pops up... I'll be back. I'll have a different opinion of some players on a personal and professional level but I'm not going to just stop watching them. I love the game too much.
well if players keep having salary rollbacks... the KHL becomes more and more viable... maybe to the point where they put some teams here... quebec / hamilton / markham (pending arena) to start with

or another WHA scenario maybe start out with 6-8 teams...

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:30 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
well if players keep having salary rollbacks... the KHL becomes more and more viable... maybe to the point where they put some teams here... quebec / hamilton / markham (pending arena) to start with

Once upon a time this talk would be ridiculous. If a 2nd cancelation takes place, this talk is to be expected.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Once upon a time this talk would be ridiculous. If a 2nd cancelation takes place, this talk is to be expected.
at one time yes... but the KHL is now a serious contender for talent, any if they decide to expand to NA and the pay is better ???? and I believe I heard a scenario where they can get themselves based out of russia and get half their salary tax free and declare the rest here.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
I will watch when they come back because what system they come back should be outstanding for the stability and competition level of the league.... but i will be wishing financial harm to all involved.

Hoping the players lose another full of salary - despite how sad it for many players in their primes to be missing out on a peak performance yr of their careers. For many, potentially effecting their chance for their 'set-for-life' prime contract.

And when they do come back, may revenues force a big depression of salaries which lasts the life of the CBA. That should kill incentives to have any work stoppages for the next 15 yrs just like the strike did for baseball....

Fehr's brilliant negotiating skills and leadership didn't acheive labor peace in baseball... the damage his strike caused for the sport did. BOTH sides are pretty damn motivated to keep the peace.

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
ChillyPalmer

The most incompetent, poorly run league in North America.

Interest in The States doesn't usually start until the playoffs anyways.

Canadian's will always come back though.

ChillyPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:

Given that the KHL had two games scheduled at Barclays in January and just cancelled them - it doesn't appear they are very interested.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:51 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Given that the KHL had two games scheduled at Barclays in January and just cancelled them - it doesn't appear they are very interested.
i wouldn't take that to mean anything

Old
10-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
i wouldn't take that to mean anything
If the owners win a 75% share you could perhaps start a conversation.

For now you're just another NHLPA shrill trying to spread fear with what's honestly a lame argument.

Lastbtime they took a pay cut their salary growth kicked the living tar out of the khl salary growth.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Krishna

Quote:

Honestly, I never see the KHL extending into the US.. There's already a huge travel schedule and adding NA to the mix just makes it become even more ridiculous than it already is.

Prague to Khabrovsk, which are the two farthest teams from each other, are about 6200 miles apart. Prague to Montreal is 3700 miles and Khabarovsk to montreal is about 5700 miles. That's pretty much undoable for a league unless they establish a division that only plays within itself in NA

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

MOD The NHL's prestige and notoriety elsewhere will be permanently harmed, though.

Last edited by Fugu: 10-27-2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: bad analogy
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:20 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Honestly, I never see the KHL extending into the US.. There's already a huge travel schedule and adding NA to the mix just makes it become even more ridiculous than it already is.

Prague to Khabrovsk, which are the two farthest teams from each other, are about 6200 miles apart. Prague to Montreal is 3700 miles and Khabarovsk to montreal is about 5700 miles. That's pretty much undoable for a league unless they establish a division that only plays within itself in NA
I don't think they'd go to the US.. but in Canada where they know the game is an easy sell and there are markets dying to get a team... it's a long shot, but you never know

Old
10-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Krishna

Quote:
I don't think they'd go to the US.. but in Canada where they know the game is an easy sell and there are markets dying to get a team... it's a long shot, but you never know
They would probably have to establish a division in NA with more than 8 teams to play each other without the ridiculous travel. I don't think all of them would work in canada as much as some posters like to think. So they would have to extend into the US.

But at this point, it's all a pipe dreams that's more than likely 10 or so years out

Old
10-27-2012, 12:32 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
They would probably have to establish a division in NA with more than 8 teams to play each other without the ridiculous travel. I don't think all of them would work in canada as much as some posters like to think. So they would have to extend into the US.

But at this point, it's all a pipe dreams that's more than likely 10 or so years out
i think they could start with 3-5 teams those teams could play within themselves a few times the all go to europe for a few weeks. when they come back a few russian teams come over and play the NA teams.they just do it in batches. hell look at the AHL. they have teams playing games consecutive nights against the same opponent. so it's not that far a stretch to work out logistically.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
I used to play competitive paintball. THOSE were the most incompetent, poorly run leagues in America. Then again, it's an amateur sport.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Krishna

Quote:
i think they could start with 3-5 teams those teams could play within themselves a few times the all go to europe for a few weeks. when they come back a few russian teams come over and play the NA teams.they just do it in batches. hell look at the AHL. they have teams playing games consecutive nights against the same opponent. so it's not that far a stretch to work out logistically.
I didn't even think about the group going overseas at the same time,, Though I think they'd have a lot of off days on both sides due to jetlag and whatnot

Old
10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
I didn't even think about the group going overseas at the same time,, Though I think they'd have a lot of off days on both sides due to jetlag and whatnot
yeah, probably a lot more back to back games than NHL would see for sure... I wonder how eager the KHL would be to squat in the NHL's back yard ? especially in light of player transfer agreement issues in the past...

Old
10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
DuklaNation

If the fans continue their sheep act, why would this be a surprise? They can cancel another season and they still assume the fans will come back. They're probably right. At this point, I hope they cancel another season. They all dont seem to give a **** so why should I?

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Obviously, the same holds true for Columbus fans.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:59 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post

Interest in The States doesn't usually start until the playoffs anyways.

Canadian's will always come back though.
That's not true. Interest in the States actually starts around Christmas.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Timmy

Quote:
at one time yes... but the KHL is now a serious contender for talent, any if they decide to expand to NA and the pay is better ???? and I believe I heard a scenario where they can get themselves based out of russia and get half their salary tax free and declare the rest here.

Does anyone have any stats on the current salary of the average KHL team versus the salary of an NHL team under the proposed (now withdrawn) NHL offer?

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Does anyone have any stats on the current salary of the average KHL team versus the salary of an NHL team under the proposed (now withdrawn) NHL offer?
Well the current KHL cap is 39 million..

Pretty obvious which one offers more