HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What would an NHL with just 12 teams look like?

Old
10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Syracuse Bulldogs

vCash: 500
What would an NHL with just 12 teams look like?

I came across this article and found it crazy, but kind of interesting. They even do a NHL 13 like draft for 12 teams. Man am I going through hockey withdrawal. Enjoy.

Article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...0526/?page=all

Mock Draft:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport.../?from=4650526

Syracuse Bulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:03 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Bulldogs View Post
I came across this article and found it crazy, but kind of interesting. They even do a NHL 13 like draft for 12 teams. Man am I going through hockey withdrawal. Enjoy.

Article:

Mock Draft:

I'm all for it.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Ryker

Eh, that would suck, being a league that encompasses teams in both the US and Canada, it's just not fit for so few teams. I'd switch my main focus to a different league, for sure.

I agree the article was entertaining, though.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:56 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Bulldogs View Post

Article:

Mock Draft:
In the mock draft one the top team selected Pronger as one of his guys and said this:

Quote:
With veterans like Malkin, Kesler, Semin, Pronger (p.s. he was just cleared of all post-concussion symptoms!)
On the main board a TML fan posted this

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I hear Burke is looking to shore up his D after the Schenn/JVR trade, and Pronger is making a miraculous recovery. Burke also wants a "real" center. With JVR, the Leafs' offense is stronger and Lupul is now considered tradeable. Lupul, Gardiner and Phaneuf are sent to Philly for Pronger and the Schenns.
So where are these Pronger updates coming from that say he may play after all?

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:08 AM
RussianRocket10

Wow if that trade were real...

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:34 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
In the mock draft one the top team selected Pronger as one of his guys and said this:

And where is the crack they are smoking with that trade?

Old
10-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Baddogg

My strategy for this draft was to find a balance between amassing a young core of players that could grow together to dominate this imaginary NHL while still icing a competitive team. With veterans like Malkin, Kesler, Semin, Pronger (p.s. he was just cleared of all post-concussion symptoms!), MacArthur, Benn, and Carle I think the team has the players needed to face off against the opposition's best players.

This was part of the artical....
Am I seeing things?

Baddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:35 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddogg View Post
My strategy for this draft was to find a balance between amassing a young core of players that could grow together to dominate this imaginary NHL while still icing a competitive team. With veterans like Malkin, Kesler, Semin, Pronger (p.s. he was just cleared of all post-concussion symptoms!), MacArthur, Benn, and Carle I think the team has the players needed to face off against the opposition's best players.

Am I seeing things?

I think they are joking because this is a mock draft. The next part down says Pronger is a wasted pick because he'll likely never play again.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post

I don't think the article writer is saying Pronger is cleared. I think it's all part of the fantasy bit.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddogg View Post

Am I seeing things?
I think it was imaginary, as in the whole exercise is hypothetical...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1186
Quote:
So which 12 teams made the cut? Tough call.

There were multiple possibilities. Two six-team divisions, one in Canada, one in the United States. Or you could base it strictly upon on financial factors - market size, valuations, revenue streams. Forbes Magazine annually assesses the dollar value of the present-day franchises on multiple fronts.

The model that made the most sense was splitting the league into Canadian and American conferences, which would feature 11 of the 12 highest revenue teams, plus the Edmonton Oilers (who were edged out by the Los Angeles Kings) on Forbes’ list.

So in the U.S. Conference: The New York Rangers, the Detroit Red Wings, the Boston Bruins, the Chicago Blackhawks, the Philadelphia Flyers and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In the Canadian Conference: the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Montreal Canadiens, the Vancouver Canucks, the Calgary Flames, the Edmonton Oilers and the Ottawa Senators.
A second league would be established with some excluded major markets as the primary interest, there would be a another option for players to negotiate, salary wars, TV deals, the modern day version of the WHA and then an eventual merger over time.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Beastieboy

I think 24 teams would be ideal. Lose some of the biggest cash drains and empty rinks without enough hardcore fans. They could have AHL teams, but those markets would not support them. Yotes, Ducks, Jackets, Stars, Avalanche, Panthers... maybe Isles (or are they saved by moving to new rink now).

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
I think 24 teams would be ideal. Lose some of the biggest cash drains and empty rinks without enough hardcore fans. They could have AHL teams, but those markets would not support them. Yotes, Ducks, Jackets, Stars, Avalanche, Panthers... maybe Isles (or are they saved by moving to new rink now).
But if you get rid of, say, the Panthers and the Yotes, you also get rid of feel good stories, which are part of the worldwide appeal of the NHL. I think losing franchises and trying to expand the market are just part of the game, and while you might switch or cut a team or two, it would, at least to me, feel weird making significant changes to the number of teams or where they're located. But it might be different for me, as NHL has never been my "local" league until I came to Canada, and so I definitely wouldn't be interested in it if it was, say, the original six or even with the first expansion teams added composing it, regardless of the level of play.

And why would you cut the Avalanche?

edit: What I'm trying to argue for is that by cutting the losing teams you wouldn't be just cutting their losses, and everything else would stay the same, you'd be changing the fabric of the entire league and you can't tell how it would impact it. The impact probably wouldn't be as drastic in Canada, but I'm not sure about the US and other parts of the world. Less teams also means less players in the league, and I know for a fact that, say, without Kopitar playing for the Kings, there would be far, far many people interested in the NHL in Slovenia than they are now. Whether those fans are important or not is a different matter, but there's always talk about the popularity of NHL vs. the other big leagues in the US, and sometimes seemingly small and unimportant things can get a lot of people hooked on the game and the league.

Last edited by Ryker: 10-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Baddogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I think they are joking because this is a mock draft. The next part down says Pronger is a wasted pick because he'll likely never play again.
Thanks for clearing that up...I guess I should have read the whole article first.

Baddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Slowbro

less teams & less games... i am all for that.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
nuclear reactor

Yes change the fabric of the entire league. It would be awesome.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:28 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

If the lockout continues any longer I can see 2 or 3 teams folding in the US or possibly moving to Canadian cities as the Yanks in small markets flip to A different sport.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote