HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Bexlyspeed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Hey whatever float your boat but if I was running the marketing I would zero in on a Brooklyn identity. You want to identify with a place more closely than just New-York because somebody else is doing that. The Rangers are New-York team by calling the team the Brooklyn Islanders you separate and draw a line with your direct competition.
The Islanders already have a fan base. and if they now open up the coffers and spend to improve the team you will see how fast the fans get off their butts and go.
thats true for the Coliseum and for brooklyn.

any fans you get just tbecause the jersey is cool arent the fans that will stay. sorry but to change your whole identity for a few of those fans doenst make sense. this team has a deep history and a fanbase.

were not a brand new expansion team. we have always been in competition with the rangers and i dont think anyone chose one team overe the other because of their uniforms, winning helps add to the fanbase and get those fans that have been away to come back.

moving to brooklyn and having a new arena is a big step towards getting wang to spend some $$$ and improve this team.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:17 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv2002 View Post
Anyone who drives to the Barclay Center has to be insane. There is no parking there. And most people who travel into MSG, especially from LI, take the train also. It's about 30 minutes by train from the nearest station to the Coliseum to the Barclays Center.....
I live in Queens and drive to the garden for weekend games or games where I'm leaving from home. There's tons of free parking everywhere in the evening. I'll take the subway if I'm going straight from work.

There should be some street parking at Barclays but nowhere near as much as midtown. If you drive you'll have to use a lot. Driving there from the BQE from Queens or crossing from Manhattan is a breeze. But if you're coming from Long Island it'll be a long crappy ride for most people. LIE to BQE to Barclays, or GCP to JRP to Atlantic avenue to Barclays. Taking the Belt would be a total cluster****. People are just going to have to get used to taking the LIRR

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I live in Queens and drive to the garden for weekend games or games where I'm leaving from home. There's tons of free parking everywhere in the evening. I'll take the subway if I'm going straight from work.

There should be some street parking at Barclays but nowhere near as much as midtown. If you drive you'll have to use a lot. Driving there from the BQE from Queens or crossing from Manhattan is a breeze. But if you're coming from Long Island it'll be a long crappy ride for most people. LIE to BQE to Barclays, or GCP to JRP to Atlantic avenue to Barclays. Taking the Belt would be a total cluster****. People are just going to have to get used to taking the LIRR
If you're willing to walk a few blocks you can find free parking starting at around 5/530.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Usually the Staten Island bound BQE backup starts right after Tillary St./Manhattan Bridge (unless Kent is backed up, too). But don't you think the increased volume/traffic on Flatbush coming up to the intersection w/Atlantic is going to make the backup start sooner? I do. Unless nearly everyone takes the train, that is...

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:32 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Usually the Staten Island bound BQE backup starts right after Tillary St./Manhattan Bridge (unless Kent is backed up, too). But don't you think the increased volume/traffic on Flatbush coming up to the intersection w/Atlantic is going to make the backup start sooner? I do. Unless nearly everyone takes the train, that is...
Yeah probably, so if you can't get there early you might have to get off at Wythe/Kent and take the local roads.

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
they would be stupid to keep the name.....the marketing potential is massive....long island has suburban, white picket fence and abandon beach connotations....Brooklyn is urban, cool and sexy.

I'd run as far from the name as possible and brand it all new york city....edgier colours, modern graphics, tougher image.....i might even take the name dodgers.

the islanders pretty much have the worst logo anyways....a map of the island?...really?......a fresh start could turn them into the merch. leaders in the NHL.
Are you an Islander fan?

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen View Post
Are you an Islander fan?
I doubt it. He does not post on the NYI board.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is:
I said a new arena deal would bring all the fans out of the woodwork, and the place would be packed. Expect a sharp ticket increase.
And I would expect to see a bit of MTS-Moose Syndrome - people buying season tix in '14-'15 (or before) at NVMC in order to get priority in getting season tix at Barclays.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
And I would expect to see a bit of MTS-Moose Syndrome - people buying season tix in '14-'15 (or before) at NVMC in order to get priority in getting season tix at Barclays.
Yep.

As for people saying that 'Islanders' is not sexy or cool in Brooklyn know this. The thing that is most uncool in Brooklyn is trying too hard to be sexy or cool.

Making the royal blue and orange kind of retro, with '80s style graphic tees and pom-pom ski hats? That's the ticket. Best thing the Isles can do is embrace their history. Encourage fans to show up looking like it's February 1982. Play like it's February 1982.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Yep.

As for people saying that 'Islanders' is not sexy or cool in Brooklyn know this. The thing that is most uncool in Brooklyn is trying too hard to be sexy or cool.

Making the royal blue and orange kind of retro, with '80s style graphic tees and pom-pom ski hats? That's the ticket. Best thing the Isles can do is embrace their history. Encourage fans to show up looking like it's February 1982. Play like it's February 1982.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Heh heh.

Really hope the Islanders succeed in Brooklyn, and get their on-ice product competitive again. Miss that early 90s rivalry with the Rangers.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:38 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeChristmasMorning View Post
Apples, oranges, pineapples and grapefruits.

20 miles on the LIE and BQE can easily take over an hour during rush hour. Van Wyck, to what? Atlantic Ave? Good luck.

The train is lovely, but hoping it catches on with the suburbanites is just that, hope. MLB and NFL are not rational comparisons for numerous and obvious reasons. If it's not obvious to you, Met Life, Citi Field and Yaknee Stadium all have massive parking lots. Oh, and those are "real" sports in this town - much to my dismay.

And the comparison of Detroit - and Michigan as a whole - is LOL worthy. The congestion and culture of mass transit vs car people doesn't exist. Nevermind the disparity of options between the two areas regarding places in which to spend your disposable income.

The Isles would be retarded to not re-brand in some way at some stage. Considering the disaster which is the Dolans and MSG in general, most NY'ers are begging for an alternative.
A good % of Long Island uses public transportation for work alone besides that I would venture to say a good amount of people use it to go to the city on a Friday night or Saturday night. all the people I know , use LIRR to get to the city and Brooklyn. Its easier than driving

You will have a good amount of NYI fans going to games that work in the city.

Public Transportation is a positive more than a negative. Only negative on public transportation is the additional cost. I pay $10 at NVMC to park, so an additional $8.5 ($18.50 RT) to me is great as I can now at least drink etc on the train.

I will continue to be a season ticket holder all the way to BK

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:04 PM
CREW99AW

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es/?ref=hockey

Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country

Old
10-26-2012, 05:49 PM
aqib

Quote:
Atlantic avenue to Barclays. Taking the Belt would be a total cluster****. People are just going to have to get used to taking the LIRR
Well if you live on Long Island and work in the city you probably are used to taking the LIRR as much of a nightmare as it is. I guess my question would be are all the LIRR lines accessible from Barclays after the game? Can I get from Barclays to say Huntington when the game is over?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Well if you live on Long Island and work in the city you probably are used to taking the LIRR as much of a nightmare as it is. I guess my question would be are all the LIRR lines accessible from Barclays after the game? Can I get from Barclays to say Huntington when the game is over?
transfer at Jamaica

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:20 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
transfer at Jamaica
and problem solved. That was one big issue at NVMC was being able to get to a 705 start if you worked in Manhattan

Old
10-26-2012, 08:08 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Only LIRR line that isn't accessible from Brooklyn is Port Washington. But you can get to Penn Station on the 2 or 3 train in about 15-20 minutes.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:33 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.
The best part is, that's $35 million in extra SUITE/PREMIUM SEAT revenue. That's not counting all the other sources of income from the arena, like advertising, concessions, etc.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Why not just use the Brooklyn inaugural game logo on the jersey? You've got the old Islanders logo, plus the bridge and the name Brooklyn. It's perfect.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why not just use the Brooklyn inaugural game logo on the jersey? You've got the old Islanders logo, plus the bridge and the name Brooklyn. It's perfect.

Months ago, before touring Barclay's Center, Bettman questioned how a move to Barclay's would inconvience some NYI fans. He has to know most NYI fans and none of the alumni, want the colors or logo to change.

There have been a ton of articles since the press conference. I thought I read a comment in one, that the league would not let the isles change their logo and colors.
Has anyone read anything, about the league saying no changes?

Old
10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
The best part is, that's $35 million in extra SUITE/PREMIUM SEAT revenue. That's not counting all the other sources of income from the arena, like advertising, concessions, etc.
The fans who are unhappy with the move, are complaining that Wang had until 2015 and did not wait until then.

But, ever since the Barclay's execs started touting hockey at Barclay's, there's been speculation that if the NYI didn't end up at Barclay, the Rangers AHL team would.

Maybe Wang had a very strong offer on the table, but had to committ now or see Barclay's turn to the Rangers AHL team.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:05 AM
madhi19

Quote:

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country
Beside lower tickets availability create rarity and rarity create more demands! You sell more season tickets because fans who use to go to the games once a week but bought their tickets at the gate every night will be afraid not to find great seats anymore.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:00 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
The fans who are unhappy with the move, are complaining that Wang had until 2015 and did not wait until then.

But, ever since the Barclay's execs started touting hockey at Barclay's, there's been speculation that if the NYI didn't end up at Barclay, the Rangers AHL team would.

Maybe Wang had a very strong offer on the table, but had to committ now or see Barclay's turn to the Rangers AHL team.
Wang pretty much explored every opportunity to keep the team in Nassau county but the "NO" vote a year ago basicially told him Nassau politicans and reisdents didn't want the team anymore. When the opportunity arose at Barclays I think he knew instantly that it was the best solution.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It is perfect.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Wang pretty much explored every opportunity to keep the team in Nassau county but the "NO" vote a year ago basicially told him Nassau politicans and reisdents didn't want the team anymore. When the opportunity arose at Barclays I think he knew instantly that it was the best solution.
I don't think its because they didn't want them its Nassau County is broke. The state took over their finances didn't they?

Old
10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
KevFu

Quote:

That's possible. But any Islanders fan complaining about Brooklyn needs to realize that realistically, the team was GONE if they didn't go to Brooklyn.

$35-$50 million more in revenue from Brooklyn. Or Wang sells the team to Quebec/Seattle/Other.

We're in Brooklyn because Wang wanted to keep the team in the New York market. Nassau had 17 years to get new arena plans finalized and started and failed dozens of times. If someone blames Wang or the Islanders for leaving Nassau, they are an idiot. If you live in Nassau, it sucks. But having the New York Islanders 20 miles east is better than not having the New York Islanders exist at all.

Quote:
Months ago, before touring Barclay's Center, Bettman questioned how a move to Barclay's would inconvience some NYI fans. He has to know most NYI fans and none of the alumni, want the colors or logo to change.

There have been a ton of articles since the press conference. I thought I read a comment in one, that the league would not let the isles change their logo and colors.
Has anyone read anything, about the league saying no changes?
Nothing from the league expanding on that. The reports from before the press conference stated the NHL insisted.

I'm sure Wang/Bettman chatted about it.
From a league standpoint, I think it's a "avoid the appearance of relocation." So few people outside the area grasp the tiny distance between "Long Island" and "Brookyln" that a name change implies "relocation."

I had a friend asked me how I must feel to have "lost" the Islanders because they were moving. And he wasn't even a Californian or New Orleanian; he was from Cleveland. It's no different than the Lakers & Kings moving from the Forum to Staples.

Last edited by KevFu: 10-27-2012 at 09:13 PM.
KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote