HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Backpacks - Hauling gear around

Old
10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Hockey Backpacks - Hauling gear around

Hey folks,

As I had to lug my giant bag + sticks to the city today for my hockey class later today I was wondering if there are any backpacks that can be used for gear. I found a few on various sites, but they all appear rather small for a full kit. Alternatively, did anybody try to use a travel backpack (hiking or w/e) for hockey gear with success? It seems I will be making this trip a lot more often in the near future and carrying all that for 3 miles is not much fun (although makes a decent workout). Initially I planned on just using my bag as a backpack, but it hangs way to low and pulls my shoulders back and out.

Last edited by Cowbell232: 10-24-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Prefix
Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Puckboy

vCash: 500
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...-backpack.html

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've used one for three years now and it's great. Takes a lot of stress off the shoulders, far more comfortable and lightweight feeling, easier to get up/down stairs and through doors. You have to cram the stuff in there though and there are fewer pockets. I put my shin guards in the pant legs and that helps.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Malarowski

I saw that, will that fit a full kit? 25" seems little for pants and chest armor. The smaller stuff I can usually stuff in between.

Edit: Since there was another post. I do the shin/leg thing already and it often is a tight fit. I guess I can get a bit more creative. Thanks for chiming in, probably will go for that, the giant bag is just a giant pain in the butt on the subway.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it's a senior bag, your stuff will fit. I could fit a full set of large gear with 16" shins if I wanted to in my backpack. Not spacious, but elbow pads and gloves going into the helmet and the shoulder pads wrapped around things and jerseys rolled up...

I should say since I switched to Sherwood shoulder pads it's easier to get crap in and out. If you had big huge shoulder pads that might be a pain.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
LarryO

There's also the RBK 5K Backpack and the RBK 10K Wheeled Backpack.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Malarowski

Just to report back: I got some Bauer backpack (doesn't actually have a model name or anything on it) and fit everything in there easily. I was super amazed by the amount of pockets and slots to put stuff as well as the space. I can easily fit another set of shin guards in there if needed in addition to a whole kit + 2 jerseys + tape and a change of clothes. Life became a lot easier and my stuff now even takes a smaller profile space up at home.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Does it look like any of these?

I would not mind getting a larger backpack. Well maybe I would since mine bangs on the walls of the stairs in my basement.

Also, I want to get a JR backpack for stick and puck someday.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Combat Sports offers a great hockey backpack as well.

http://www.combatsportsgroup.com/hoc...t_ProductId=38

I have the one prior to the wheelie version, but this is an improvement on mine. I love it!

scotiahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Does it look like any of these?

I would not mind getting a larger backpack. Well maybe I would since mine bangs on the walls of the stairs in my basement.

Also, I want to get a JR backpack for stick and puck someday.
I think it is this one in red: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...ack-large.html

Went to their retail location and the salesguy recommended this over the APXR due to lower price.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:14 AM
DJH

You can try a sports / outdoors store like MEC. They have a duffle with shoulders. The fight is tight for senior equipment but it works. The upside is that these are far more durable than typical hockey bags. They work well for shuffling gear on long walks from far end of parking lot to change rooms. The downside is that they may not suit for longer walks as they are not purpose built back packs. They also dont stand up.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/...duffle-bag.jsp

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote