HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

CHL Players Forming a Union? (Mod: Canadian Hockey League, aka junior)

Old
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Branch was on the radio today and explained the situation. He wont meet with them until they answer some basic questions. According to him they havent even demonstrated they are a legitimate organization. Overall he makes them sound extremely bush league.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/10/26/branch_hc/

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

So... Ron Pink is involved. Watch your back, BGL

From Mirtle:

Quote:
Some of the mystery behind the organization known as the Canadian Hockey League Players’ Association is beginning to lift.

And at least one of those in a key position with the fledgling junior hockey union at one time played a role with the National Hockey League Players’ Association.

Veteran Halifax labour lawyer Ron Pink, who served on the NHLPA’s advisory board until 2009, is functioning in a similar role with the CHLPA as one of three lawyers on a 10-member board that until now hadn’t been revealed publicly.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...+Article+Links

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Branch was on the radio today and explained the situation. He wont meet with them until they answer some basic questions. According to him they havent even demonstrated they are a legitimate organization. Overall he makes them sound extremely bush league.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/10/26/branch_hc/
I absolutely believe Branch is sincere in his disdain that the venison would form a collective and ask for more than $35-$50 a week salary.

The union is seeking certification but quite frankly if they decide to strike what would anyone do? There are so many wrongs here possibly including child labour issues. It's about time this was dealt with.

The next generation of hockey players will be union-wise. Thank the current owners historical attitude towards the cattle.

This is real a blast from the past. Who'd have thought our societies would be fighting child labour and other labour issues in the 21st century? Wasn't enough blood spilled to gain these rights? hockey is a gruelling 24-7 job with many possibilities for physical and mental injury. It's not a Mc Donalds' job.

You do not want to go to Canada's supreme court on this issue.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I always love seeing David Branch cowar like a worm when stuff like this arise.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Bjindaho

There are a few big questions the CHLPA needs to answer up front...

One, can a CHLPA exist? Players are contracted to the Q, the O, and the Dub

Two, are they really a union?

Three, are the players employees or amateur athletes?

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Tinalera

If I'm the CHL I'm calling their bluff and saying "let's go to court"

Because in court you're going to have to submit to a cross examination by my lawyers, and either you can lay out everything about how your organization works under oath, or you can pull the "we don't have to tell you that" to the judge, and the judge I would simply throw it out due to lack of ANY sort of legitimacy I would think (those legals on these boards can correct me-but I couldn't see a judge taking "we don't have to tell you that" too well)

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-27-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:11 AM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
There is a huge amount of money to be made by the CHLPA organizers, if it comes to be. In reading the proposed union documents, there are a lot of administrative type roles - all with their hands out.

http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2011/05/o...ndance-report/

Based on those attendance figures, over 66,000 fans attended each OHL game in 2010-2011. Based on 34 regular season games, that's 2,256,000 in the regular season. The CHLPA is proposing a surcharge of $1.50 per ticket, generating over $3.3 million per year, for the OHL alone.

For that kind of money, I'll take responsibility to pay education costs for graduating players who don't go on to play full-time professionally, and who want to attend post-secondary school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
So... Ron Pink is involved. Watch your back, BGL

From Mirtle:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...+Article+Links
Exactly so, Ron Pink-who applied for the job that Paul Kelly got and then was put on the board by his fellow weasels and participated in the coup to toss Kelly.

When the players woke up and realized how they had been used, he got the boot along with Ian Penney, Buzz Hargrove etc.
Pink is now off the money train at the NHLPA so needs a new revenue flow.

Georges Larocque is just a figure head and the other players are just for the display window.

Here is an excellent article on how the Kelly coup went down and Pinks role:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=4435098

Sources also told ESPN.com that Halifax labor lawyer Ron Pink, who ended up on the NHLPA's advisory board after he was a candidate for Kelly's job, was also involved in the move to depose Kelly. Pink initially did not return messages from ESPN.com; then, when reached early Monday morning on his cell phone, he said he was on the other line and promised to return the call. He did not.

• Multiple sources told us the NHLPA's rank and file, and at least some team representatives, were not informed of Pink's interest in the Kelly job when he was presented to them as a candidate for the advisory board.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
That's not the only problem between CHL team owners and the players. When NHL 13 comes out on Sept. 11, you'll have the ability to play as any of the 60 CHL teams, which are complete with players. The players weren't compensated for the use of their names, something that strikes as completely unacceptable.
That's an interesting side aspect of this whole business that presumably would be greatly affected by the outcome of Ed O'Bannon's class action lawsuit against the NCAA.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:04 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
There are a few big questions the CHLPA needs to answer up front...

One, can a CHLPA exist? Players are contracted to the Q, the O, and the Dub

Two, are they really a union?

Three, are the players employees or amateur athletes?
One? Not exactly, at least not in the present form. Players are contracted to the Halifax Mooseheads, the Ottawa 67s, the Erie Otters, Kelowna Rockets, etc. Yes, one union could theoretically represent all players on every team, but they would have to seek certification for each team (employer), sign separate CBAs, and simply have team-level chapters. Alternatively, if the collective of the union agreed to allow the league to negotiate as one bargaining unit, and the league wanted to do so, they could take the NHL route.

Two? no, they are not a union at this present time. They're a group of guys deciding to call themselves the CHLPA (an obvious nod to the NHLPA which is a union), and we are assuming that they may seek to become one.

Three? That's also the crux of the arguement, but we had a recent quote from Bob Nicholson (I think, or was it David Branch?) who said he doesn't believe the minimum wage thing is a problem because of the value of the other benefits that players receive. That's certainly an admission that they are entitled to minimum compensation as employees, at least in the league's eyes.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.montrealgazette.com/denie...244/story.html

CHL responds to lawsuits against OHL and QMJHL Hallifax.

Quote:
“We firmly believe that our teams have always acted in accordance with all applicable provincial and federal laws and will continue to do so,” the CHL said in a statement.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Wonder if this ends up going anywhere

Quote:
Mystery surrounds CHLPA official
Fraudster alleged to be involved in junior hockey union
By JOE WARMINGTON, QMI Agency

TORONTO - Canadian hockey officials are probing the identity of a key figure behind efforts to unionize this country’s junior hockey players.

Derek Clarke is the spokesman for the fledgling Canadian Hockey League Players Association that has made headlines advocating for the unionization of 1,300 young men in the Canadian Hockey League.

Although Clarke has been widely interviewed by media and spoken with hockey officials by phone, few have ever met the man in person.

His background and history seems largely a mystery.
Further...

Quote:
One NHLer who has met Clarke is retired Montreal Canadiens forward George Laraque, the public face and executive director of the CHLPA.

Many in the hockey community believe Clarke in fact is Randy Gumbley, a former hockey coach convicted of two counts of fraud.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun.../20321231.html

Old
10-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
In an interview with TVA Sports reporter Stephane Gonzalez yesterday, Laraque in an on-camera interview identified a photograph of Gumbley as Derek Clarke.

Then, in a subsequent interview denied the two were the same man.
This just about sums it all up.

Here's the video of it, it's in french: http://tvasports.ca/video/featured/l...5013001/page/2

Laraque's backtracking once told of Gumbley's past is hilarious.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Habsfan22100

Dave Naylor saying on TSN that he has spoken to two distinct voices calling themselves "Derek Clarke".

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:03 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

This should get interesting for sure. For the PA's sake if they really do want to change things with good intentions, I hope they're clean going in cause a spot like this could really do some damage.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

http://watch.tsn.ca/clip796819#clip796819

Old
10-31-2012, 09:11 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Can you give a rundown please? I keep trying to watch but it won't let me

Old
10-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
This should get interesting for sure. For the PA's sake if they really do want to change things with good intentions, I hope they're clean going in cause a spot like this could really do some damage.
If they have good intentions, they're terrible at showing it. Players from Sherbrooke are saying they were told by the "CHLPA" that all the other teams had already signed and that they were the only ones holding out. They also sent a letter to Shawinigan saying their players had signed and the players quickly told their GM that it was completely false.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Can you give a rundown please? I keep trying to watch but it won't let me
It's really surreal.

The reporter spoke to people calling themselves Derek Clarke 3 times in the last 12 days...the last 2 times, 2 clearly different voices. Twice, the response came after an email sent through the CHLPA website. 1 of them talked about meeting the reporter in EDM, the other one said he hadn't been there recently.

Then, the first one says he had a film production company in Montreal, the film producers association in Quebec said they had never heard of him. Laraque told the reporter Clarke was a Quebec labor lawyer, however no one is registered in Quebec under that name, Laraque then he said he was mistaken about that...now the story is he's supposedly a sales rep with a manufacturing company.

The CHL thinks he's this Randy Gumbley dude. PA Raiders players claim they met someone with CHLPA documentation who really resembles Gumbley.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Wow... just wow. This whole mess appears to be falling apart like the NHLPA house of cards post-Paul Kelly coup in 2009. Isn't it a tad ironic that Ron Pink is associated here in both circumstances?

I want to believe that if BGL doesn't want to get brought down with this apparent farce he better pull the rip cord most riki tik.

Somewhere, someone had to have had the best intentions but surrounded themselves with some serious pool-pee'ers.

Unbelievable...

Old
10-31-2012, 10:26 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Thanks Marc. Some of this stuff is just like, could it be real?

And yeah, I'd like to believe someone had good intentions, but seems like the sharks smelled blood. Also apparently according to Laraque this Clarke person will be on TV tomorrow?

Old
10-31-2012, 11:12 PM
cutchemist42

NHLPA or not, the CHL needs to improve the university leeway time after the CHL. Anyone seriously think that's adequate? Even David Branch on PTS on Friday could not make a strong argument defending it.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Lard_Lad

Gumbley's the guy who tried to start a 4-on-4 league of NHLers during the last lockout. They played two games and folded.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:11 AM
kaiser matias

Starting to look like Laraque and some others got taken for a ride. Wonder how much that cost them.

At least it did get Branch and Nicholson's hearts going a little faster. Good to give them a bit of a scare so they straighten up a bit.

kaiser matias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Thanks Marc. Some of this stuff is just like, could it be real?

And yeah, I'd like to believe someone had good intentions, but seems like the sharks smelled blood. Also apparently according to Laraque this Clarke person will be on TV tomorrow?
QFT.

It's too bad that something which may actually have a ton of merit is run by what seems to be this complete joke of an organization that is possibly nothing more than a couple of fraudsters.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Fraud or not, I for one believe something needs to be done...

35-50$ a week is ridiculous, these players have 40+ hour schedules, that's a 1$-1.50$/hour salary...

Sure they get their equipment, facilities, etc.... So do I where I work, I don't have to pay for my computer, desk, software licenses, rent, etc.

It's absolute BS.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote