HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The NHL approaching uncharted territory

View Poll Results: As a result of this year, will the NHL have more or less support in the near future?
More 8 4.82%
Less 158 95.18%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
i think they could start with 3-5 teams those teams could play within themselves a few times the all go to europe for a few weeks. when they come back a few russian teams come over and play the NA teams.they just do it in batches. hell look at the AHL. they have teams playing games consecutive nights against the same opponent. so it's not that far a stretch to work out logistically.
The KHL would likely comparably to how the WHA did once upon a time. The majority of owners own their arena and would immediate bar the KHL from use of those facilities. Once the NHL returns, they would utterly destroy the KHL teams in marketability and public interest. There is simply no feasible way I can see them able to put even a scratch in the NHL.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:18 AM
MarkhamNHL

the cap this season for the KHL is 36.5 million, but can be waived for any NHL player who can play for russia

cap was 20 million in in 2010

cap almost doubled in a few years...

as well the KHL plays 52 games.. if they expanded the season they could raise the cap. Teams in Canada would really grow their revenue as well...

Last edited by MarkhamNHL: 10-27-2012 at 02:24 AM.
MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:19 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The KHL would likely comparably to how the WHA did once upon a time. The majority of owners own their arena and would immediate bar the KHL from use of those facilities. Once the NHL returns, they would utterly destroy the KHL teams in marketability and public interest. There is simply no feasible way I can see them able to put even a scratch in the NHL.
yeah but the arenas in hamilton / quebec and markham (if built) would be open to a KHL team

Old
10-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Does anyone have any stats on the current salary of the average KHL team versus the salary of an NHL team under the proposed (now withdrawn) NHL offer?

Budgets Per Team;
(Avg salary is about double that of an AHL player, Stars however highly paid in some cases))

http://www.dinamoriga.eu/en/news/vie...clubs-revealed

Top Attendance Avgs; (Tickets are cheap, like Borscht)

Loko: 8982
SU: 8228
Amur: 7100
Sibir: 6481
DynR: 6704
SKA: 6508
Atlant: 6208
AB: 5881
Torpedo: 5408
DynMos: 4693

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Krishna

Quote:
the cap this season for the KHL is 36.5 million, but can be waived for any NHL player who can play for russia

cap was 20 million in in 2010

cap almost doubled in a few years...

as well the KHL plays 52 games.. if they expanded the season they could raise the cap.
I thought they got rid of the soft cap in favor of the hard cap?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:23 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
They would have to establish in non-NHL venues (eg Markham, Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle, KC, OKC). They have an issue of salary as they don't play as many games as the NHL. Less time to accumulate $ to pay the players. Under their current structure, the KHL is not a for profit business. They would have to make it a division which sees little or no time in Europe for the reg season. And, they couldn't sign NHL players already under contract to stock their teams because as soon as the lockout ended, those players would be unavailable to them.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:25 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I thought they got rid of the soft cap in favor of the hard cap?
it is a hard cap... unless it's an NHL player who can play for team russia

Old
10-27-2012, 02:28 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Well the current KHL cap is 39 million..

Pretty obvious which one offers more
Well yeah, the KHL one as its tax free which translates to 78mill in NHL numbers. And the players play less games...

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Krishna

Quote:
it is a hard cap... unless it's an NHL player who can play for team russia
so, not a hard cap.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
so, not a hard cap.
well with 1 tiny exception for roughly 30 players

Old
10-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Luongownage
Kassian? #epicfail

As a Canucks fan in canada, I am one of those who are expected to come crawling back under any circumstances. I say to Bettman and Fehr ******* you. For every game that they cancel I will ignore one game when the league finally (if ever) starts back up. The fact that a deal is not signed at this point is pure insanity. Lots of blame to go around on both sides, and honestly I don't care who is right or wrong. At some point they are going to have to step back and ask themselves 'is this right?'. If a die hard like me can become so pissed off that they are willing to cut out a big part of their life what can that say about the rest of the market?

Honestly, at least in 04-05 we knew the endgame. This time around its a crapshoot.

Luongownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:13 AM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkinator View Post
Well yeah, the KHL one as its tax free which translates to 78mill in NHL numbers. And the players play less games...
Unless North American players renounce their citizenship they still have to pay income tax.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:29 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
Unless North American players renounce their citizenship they still have to pay income tax.
I think the point is with a further falling NHL cap and a rising KHL one, they are creeping closer to par if maybe not being at par.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:49 AM
JMT21

When the NHL comes back it will be business as usual for the 7 Canadian teams and at least 10 U.S. based teams. There will be at least a half dozen teams that will struggle tremendously to regain fan support if an entire season is lost.

Right now the KHL suffers from revenue disparity between it's teams that dwarf the NHL. A few teams can afford payrolls fairly close to cap in the NHL. While a few have gross revenue less than 600K.

KHL total attendance is less than the combined attendance of the Leafs, Habs, Rangers & Blackhawks.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:04 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
Can't them simply declare themselves as a non-resident?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:30 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I used to play competitive paintball. THOSE were the most incompetent, poorly run leagues in America. Then again, it's an amateur sport.
lolol thank you for making me laugh when nothing good has happened in this thread for...ever. But every amateur league in the US is run like crap. Sunday morning softball with the guys before football and the umps hardly show up, theres not always bases...you know, little things.

But in terms of pro sports, the NHL is far and away the worst run league. You cant keep doing this. Whenever they end this garbage lockout, some fans will go back...but when it happens again in 6-7-8 yrs, the league should just fold. That isnt how businesses are run.

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:39 AM
JAX

Quote:
well if players keep having salary rollbacks... the KHL becomes more and more viable... maybe to the point where they put some teams here... quebec / hamilton / markham (pending arena) to start with

or another WHA scenario maybe start out with 6-8 teams...
Umm NO, who in the heck would want to start a hockey league and deal with players who won't take a penny less while making 2.4 mill a year, besides russian and maybe some european players very few will go to the KHL and make a fraction of what they do here. There isn't exactly a lineup of people willing to become owners of NHL teams they see what they have to deal with.

JAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:42 AM
premadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkinator View Post
Eh...

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/sta...23913317613568

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:45 AM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
Umm NO, who in the heck would want to start a hockey league and deal with players who won't take a penny less while making 2.4 mill a year, besides russian and maybe some european players very few will go to the KHL and make a fraction of what they do here. There isn't exactly a lineup of people willing to become owners of NHL teams they see what they have to deal with.
not for american teams... but there is 3 cities dying to get a team in Canada... and this was the reason the WHA started, the ignored demand for NHL teams....

Old
10-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Can't them simply declare themselves as a non-resident?
As a US citizen, you are required to pay taxes on money earned in other countries. However, I believe it's the first 4 years that you don't have to report the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoluutio View Post
Yep, couldn't find the figure but I knew it was about this.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:51 AM
htpwn

Quote:
As a US citizen, you are required to pay taxes on money earned in other countries. However, I believe it's the first 4 years that you don't have to report the money
I was responding more from the Canadian angle. I've never gone through the process myself but my understanding is that one can declare themselves a non-resident, provided they meet the conditions to do so. Non-residents do not pay Canadian tax on income earned abroad. I could be wrong though.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts.../nnrs-eng.html

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
As a canadian I will come back. Fair weather fans will always be fair weather fans. Hockey fans are unique fans and we always come back. We are glutten for punishment
As a hockey fan I will come back.

Most canadians I know couldn't care less about hockey.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

If the NHL doesn't implode, I'll come back... I'll even give it a look if they bring in replacement players... However, I'd speculate that all hockey fans wouldn't react the same way...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:15 PM
WingsFan95

The NHL is done.

Feel free to believe in delusions but it's done.

An era is over.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:18 PM
JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post
The NHL is done.

Feel free to believe in delusions but it's done.

An era is over.
Don't forget to turn the lights out.

JAX is offline   Reply With Quote