HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA Kings Don't Have Enough "Good Defensemen"

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
LA Kings Don't Have Enough "Good Defensemen"

Oh Craig Button, how wrong you are.

Being bored with no hockey season, thought it would be fun to look back at the silly and stupid things "experts" have said about the Kings. This one takes the cake.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Jebus
Hey you guys!

I kept expecting him to say "... and they're weak in goal."

Old
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's another good one. Pierre McGuire thinks the Kings gave up too much to acquire Dustin Penner.

Does anyone really miss Colten Teubert?

Old
10-26-2012, 06:48 PM
backhander

what a doucher

Old
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

TSN's analysis of the Carter/Johnson trade.

Funny that they mention Brown being a great fit in Toronto. As if the Leafs have anything to offer that the Kings covet. Thank God the trade rumors flipped a switch in Brown's head and he played like a possessed demon from that point on.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:06 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's another good one. Pierre McGuire thinks the Kings gave up too much to acquire Dustin Penner.

Well, in fairness, Hampus Lindholm, who the Oilers took with the first round pick the Kings up in order to get Penner, is a top notch prospect.

edit: Sorry, meant Klefbom. Got the Swedes mixed up.

Last edited by TwoForRoughing: 10-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Well, in fairness, Hampus Lindholm, who the Oilers took with the first round pick the Kings up in order to get Penner, is a top notch prospect.
I thought the Ducks took Lindholm? The Oilers took Klefbom with our pick.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Rich Stevens ‏@rtwinger77 @CraigJButton How does it feel to be so wrong about the Kings and Carter trade "Stanley Cup contenders, give me a break" Nice quote buddy

I remember this too, oh so well do I remember it. He was so adamant on NHL Tonight, I wanted to dive right into my TV set and slap him upside the head a couple of times.

Too bad I can't find the video for it.

10-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

I was convinced at the time that noone realized Penner had another year on his contract. I think every 'expert' believed Penner was a 2 month rental, since its the only way their comments can make sense.

Especially since i remember watching that trade deadline, and all through it all of the experts were going, LA has to make a move, they have to get a scoring winger, a Penner or a Hemsky.

Then as soon as it happened they were all, well thats too much, LA shouldn't have done that

Old
10-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:

Ziggy,

Everybody here was ready to trade Penner for a bag of pucks. Penner was a total bust until the playoffs.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Still to this day have no idea why the Kings moved up in the draft to select that guy over a handful of much much more talented defenders. I think the Kings realized pretty quickly he was a flop when they sent him to the ECHL twice, the Penner deal from the Oilers perspective was about the draft picks, not Teubert. It was easy to sell to the fans that they were getting a former 1st round pick, I don't think anyone ever thought he had anything more than a fringe NHL career ahead of him.

Just happy we were able to make up for the awful Teubert pick and got Voynov in the 2nd.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:

No but I do miss Oscar Klefbom.

Not.

No seriously, Penner was more than decent in the playoffs but that trade was not very good for both sides.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I remember this too, oh so well do I remember it. He was so adamant on NHL Tonight, I wanted to dive right into my TV set and slap him upside the head a couple of times.

What's wrong with Button's quote? There were sure of a lot of diehard fans saying the same exact thing around the deadline as well....give me a break. Kings blew ass for 65% of the regular season.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
I thought the Ducks took Lindholm? The Oilers took Klefbom with our pick.
Yea this is correct.

The Ducks picked 6th overall and got Lindholm. That had nothing to do with our trade for Penner. Klefbom was taken 19th in 2011 with our pick.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
What's wrong with Button's quote? There were sure of a lot of diehard fans saying the same exact thing around the deadline as well....give me a break. Kings blew ass for 65% of the regular season.
Everything is wrong with Button's quote.
Did you watch the regular season?

The Kings blowing ass for 65% of the season had zero to do with the D and had everything to do with Terry's Murray's system, injuries, TM's insistence of playing DB on the right, and lack of qualfied top 6 forwards.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Everything is wrong with Button's quote.
Did you watch the regular season?

The Kings blowing ass for 65% of the season had zero to do with the D and had everything to do with Terry's Murray's system, injuries, TM's insistence of playing DB on the right, and lack of qualfied top 6 forwards.
Wrong quote, read above.

I was commenting on the 'Kings not being a SC contender' quote.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Mattias

I recall the Kingscast guys doing a offseason meeting with many journalists and the consensus between all of them was "Dean Lombardi got away with one there" regarding costing only Teubert and a first for Penner.

Is Klefbom looking like a bad pick?

Old
10-28-2012, 12:45 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

While I will never defend Pierre MacGuire on anything, that Penner deal was an overpayment. He proved his worth in the playoffs to a degree, but he was a collosal bust in LA before that. I remember many on this board saying we should just waive Penner at the trade deadline just to get rid of him. So while yes, he had a solid playoffs, it's not like he made it look like getting him for a 1st, a 3rd and a prospect (who I say will still make it as a decent NHLer, ala Steve Staois-type) was some steal on our part.

Nine goals and 23 points in 84 regular season games and four goals and 13 points in 26 playoff games is not what anyone here would have said is successful and worth it at the time that trade went down.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
I recall the Kingscast guys doing a offseason meeting with many journalists and the consensus between all of them was "Dean Lombardi got away with one there" regarding costing only Teubert and a first for Penner.

No. If anything, he's exceeding expectations right now.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post

Klefbom is going to be a good player.

But it's one of those give and take situations, it was a good hockey trade. We were in a more urgent 'win now' mode, and as much as Penner was maligned for his overall performance, he was super instrumental in the post-season.

Edmonton is certainly in a rebuild mode, especially in need of defenseman, and Teubert/Klefbom really wasn't a whole lot for us to give up, but it's a lot for them to gain. Vice versa a big top-six power power forward was a lot to gain for us, and we lost very little giving up Teubert and a 1st considering how many defensive prospects we have.

All in all it was, and still is a solid trade for both teams. I hate when media tries to put it on some sort of winning-losing spectrum.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Doh, I meant Klefbom. Got my Swedes mixed up.

It was a good trade for both teams. No way Penner was going to re-sign with Edmonton and they got good value for him. Teubert won't amass to anything but Klefbom is going to be a damn good player.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

This rant stuck in the back of my mind for the rest of the season, and especially during the playoffs. I was finally able to find it on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/cqUvDKfDY7Q

My problem with the rant isn't that he laughs them off as a Stanley Cup contender, but the fact that he puts the entire blame on the players. Not much changed in terms of personnel between the time we were a team that didn't have "enough meat on the bones" to where we went on one of the most dominant playoff runs in NHL history. In the playoffs, one of our biggest strengths was our team depth and ability to roll four solid lines. They complained about the King's defense as though we relied on Doughty playing 60 minutes a night playing along with a few other nobodies as our defensive core. For the hockey experts to not see that this team did have skill and were just locked into a defensively solid yet offensively stale system, and had a coach that could not motivate them anymore is what I find funniest about the video.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I'm fine with the Penner trade mainly cause I doubt we would've picked Klefbom.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:07 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
This rant stuck in the back of my mind for the rest of the season, and especially during the playoffs. I was finally able to find it on Youtube:

My problem with the rant isn't that he laughs them off as a Stanley Cup contender, but the fact that he puts the entire blame on the players. Not much changed in terms of personnel between the time we were a team that didn't have "enough meat on the bones" to where we went on one of the most dominant playoff runs in NHL history. In the playoffs, one of our biggest strengths was our team depth and ability to roll four solid lines. They complained about the King's defense as though we relied on Doughty playing 60 minutes a night playing along with a few other nobodies as our defensive core. For the hockey experts to not see that this team did have skill and were just locked into a defensively solid yet offensively stale system, and had a coach that could not motivate them anymore is what I find funniest about the video.
You make it sound like the experts actually ever made an effort watch Kings games...

Old
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post

Great find!

This is the video I was looking for. Thanks.

Love the comments on the YouTube page.

Closed Thread