HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Targeting Luongo would be a mistake for both the Maple Leafs and Oilers

Old
10-26-2012, 05:03 AM
TheSilencer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Exactly. What will Luongo do? Get us a worse draft pick and still won't be a contender.

I still think people are counting out Reimer way too early. But if he does bomb, the Leafs will be rewarded with a great draft pick.

I just don't see the point in getting Luongo right now for the Leafs.

In fact, I've sen people on this board who are pro-tanking, but also want the Leafs to get Luongo. I'm confused.
I guess i'm pro-tank..and i have no interest in Luongo.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
darrylsittler27

Until the new CBA comes out...

No one knows Luongo's value or rather devalue.He alone won't get either team into the playoffs and it looks like the owners are tired of giving up up more than half of revenues.In my opinion we will see a cap rollback due to these teams offering crazy deals to circumvent cap space.If the rollback is significant Luongo becomes a liability not an asset.Offering too much might actually cost Burke his job.Gillis might have to give to get someone to eat that contract and quite frankly, if the season is cancelled an aging Luongo will drop in value.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:59 PM
BlueBaron

Having read the article I have to say it was a pretty poor argument. I think anyone who watches hockey would figure we would have made the playoffs with Luongo in net last year instead of Gus and Riemer.

As for the tank lovers, I think you guys are a bit late hoping Luongo would ruin your lottery pick, the team isn't likely to finnish that low again and since we are missing two pieces from being a perenial playoff team, it does not make much sense to avoid getting the goalie before the center comes.

Get into the playoffs and anything can happy, I think Luongo would be the difference. Those of you who want to tank every year and be the Oilers, can cheer for the Oilers. We are due some playoff hockey.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
TheOneArmedMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
The Leafs future will be thrown into the abyss if we aquire Luongo. I would rather wait and see what Reimer and Scrivens can do then throw the whole farm at Vancouver for Luongo.

I'm all for letting Reimer and Scrivens play, but if we do this we won't be seeing playoffs until like 2015 after they've had a couple of full seasons to develop.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneArmedMan View Post
I'm all for letting Reimer and Scrivens play, but if we do this we won't be seeing playoffs until like 2015 after they've had a couple of full seasons to develop.
Better chance at the lottery. We need a Quick, Price etc, neither of those two are like them, never will be.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneArmedMan View Post
Good. Then we'll have a stacked contending team for the future. Maybe with Luongo, we can fight for 8th in the conference!

Luongo is not the answer people.

There is a very good chance we end up with a stud prospect next June we draft, along with Rielly, who well could gave gone 1 or 2 in this past draft and is a true blue chipper. Add 1 or 2 more guys like that and our entire fortunes change.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:09 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Perhaps the first year, but do you think he's doing that now? The past 2 years he's been trading vets for prospects/first rounders and just picked 5th overall.
Why are some fans so proud/happy about this?

Quote:
Why not? I thought rebuilding through high draft picks is the way to win? Why do I feel people are changing their opinions in this thread a lot?
Where did I ever write this?

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
I think getting a top 5 pick this season would actually HELP Burke.
(...)
Another failure would help Burke?

Wow.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:30 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Not sold on Reimer.

I want a short term vet. To see if Rynnas or Owuya are going to be the answer.

If Minny is set on Harding and Hackett going forward I would give Backstrom a shot. he's only good for a few years and 55 games a year. So the backup still gets lots of experience.

Kipper is too expensive and I doubt CGY wants to deal with us again. But I wouldn't mind him for just 2 years.

I don't really want to gamble on something unproven, but I don't want to be tied down to somethign like Luongo's deal.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Why are some fans so proud/happy about this?

Where did I ever write this?
But drafting high REALLY matters. That's all I ever hear on here. So why is it a negative I wrote that?

The Leafs gave up the 9th overall pick last year and it was the end of the world. Leaf fans comment on getting 5th overall and it's sad we bring it up. Why the double-standard?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:01 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Not sold on Reimer.

I want a short term vet. To see if Rynnas or Owuya are going to be the answer.

If Minny is set on Harding and Hackett going forward I would give Backstrom a shot. he's only good for a few years and 55 games a year. So the backup still gets lots of experience.

Kipper is too expensive and I doubt CGY wants to deal with us again. But I wouldn't mind him for just 2 years.

I don't really want to gamble on something unproven, but I don't want to be tied down to somethign like Luongo's deal.
I'm pretty sure the bolded are not the answer - Scrivens is someone worth giving a legitimate look at. Short term vet is the way to go though.

This team is not even close to contending. Why sell the farm for a 33 year old Goalie. It makes no sense except to appease a significant portion of fan base that care only about merely sneaking into the playoffs as an 8th seed - to get bounced in 4/5 games.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
To be honest I don't see the Leafs ever intentionally tanking. They have too much history and enormous fanbase I don't thnk the owners would ever sanction intentionally doing badly.

I think Burke will go all out this season, and try to make a decent playoff run, and build off the momentum to re-sign current players like Lupul as well as attract high-value free agents like Getzlaf. Sometimes all it takes is that first push to get the ball rolling.

Of course you may call me biased, but I've never been a proponent of tanking...

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
To be honest I don't see the Leafs ever intentionally tanking. They have too much history and enormous fanbase I don't thnk the owners would ever sanction intentionally doing badly.

I think Burke will go all out this season, and try to make a decent playoff run, and build off the momentum to re-sign current players like Lupul as well as attract high-value free agents like Getzlaf. Sometimes all it takes is that first push to get the ball rolling.

Of course you may call me biased, but I've never been a proponent of tanking...
You'd be a proponent of it if it were Vanvouver in possession of our pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Our jack a 1st round pick from Florida or Toronto in a Luongo trade.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I'm pretty sure the bolded are not the answer - Scrivens is someone worth giving a legitimate look at. Short term vet is the way to go though.

This team is not even close to contending. Why sell the farm for a 33 year old Goalie. It makes no sense except to appease a significant portion of fan base that care only about merely sneaking into the playoffs as an 8th seed - to get bounced in 4/5 games.
YOu see though I do want to get into the playoffs.

I would get Kipper or Backstrom if it only cost me D'Amigo + 3rd.

There are a ton of young goalies who are ready.

Look at WSH trading Vokoun for next to nothing.

COL 1st for Varlamov might be the worst trade of the last year.

People think BUrke is in this rush to make hte playoffs. Maybe he is.

I think an immediate extension solves this.

If Gillis is saying "You need Luongo to make the playoffs because your job is in jeopardy." I say we kill that buy just extending BUrke. I am more than OK with the other things he has done to give him the extension.

Even if he is fired next season what is $9M extension to the LEafs. As long as it doesn't count against the cap who cares?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
You'd be a proponent of it if it were Vanvouver in possession of our pick.

I truly believe Toronto would make the playoffs with Luongo. But I'll admit it's a lot easier to hope for a high draft pick when the pick your team holds isn't their own.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:01 AM
MorriPage

I'm really tired of the delusional Luongo talk from some posters on this board, honestly. I don't want Luongo for the same reasons other people don't want him, and they're all legitimate reasons.

Burke is not stupid. Vancouver is not going to receive any of Tornto's 1st round pick, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Morgan Rielly, Matt Finn, Matt Frattin, or Joe Colborne. All talk like this does is make select Vancouver fans look like bigger idiots than the Flyers sheep who actually thought Nashville wouldn't match their ridiculous offer sheet to Shea Weber.

Last edited by MorriPage: 10-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.
MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:21 AM
ITM

What's the goal here? Making the playoffs on the hope that Luongo gets us there, and then...? The Canucks were, at every position superior to Toronto. Close to the Cup, sure. But this club won't get close on Luongo alone.

If the cost is a 1st in any year, there should be no deal. If the expectation that one of Finn, Gardiner, and even Blacker should be involved, there should be no deal. Kulemin had an off year under understandable circumstances, I wouldn't part with him either, and I wouldn't write of Kadri just yet. I just don't think Toronto should part with any first round talent in this instance. I've left out the obvious targets because they can not be expected in any conversation where Luongo is concerned.

Luongo's stats are out there and well known, no need to repeat them here. But take into consideration something else that seems to be just as reference ready...Luongo's passionate stance on one thing or another: Possible league policy on bigger nets, pads size, playing location, etc...Mikka Kipprusoff he is not. And if there's one thing the club needs, it's an influence that steadies the room, fits the market. And that begins with a player who wants to be there. That's not Roberto Luongo.

Spare me the diva that qualifies where he's willing to play based on, of all things, comfort. Give me the goalie that's chomping at the bit to play for Toronto and the playoffs. Maybe it's Halak, or Neuvirth, or if the Oilers go after Luongo, Toronto could benefit by taking on Dubnyk. Or we could do what other clubs do and insert our own AHL stars, instead of giving up a 2nd for a Bishop, or a 1st for a Bernier and honour a club mandate that called for honouring excellence and cultivating accountablity.

I'd be more interested in taking a flyer on a seemingly resurging Mason and his new gear, than emptying the cupboards (or anything coming close) for a malcontent.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
As for the tank lovers, I think you guys are a bit late hoping Luongo would ruin your lottery pick, the team isn't likely to finnish that low again and since we are missing two pieces from being a perenial playoff team, it does not make much sense to avoid getting the goalie before the center comes.
We need a #1 goalie, a #1 center, and a better #1 defenseman... or at least a really good #2 to support the weak #1 we have.

To make the play-offs, we probably only need to add one of these. The problem is that those are the toughest piece to add. Even if we do get one of them, how much do we lose from other areas?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
Spare me the diva that qualifies where he's willing to play based on, of all things, comfort. Give me the goalie that's chomping at the bit to play for Toronto and the playoffs. Maybe it's Halak, or Neuvirth, or if the Oilers go after Luongo, Toronto could benefit by taking on Dubnyk. Or we could do what other clubs do and insert our own AHL stars, instead of giving up a 2nd for a Bishop, or a 1st for a Bernier and honour a club mandate that called for honouring excellence and cultivating accountablity.

I'd be more interested in taking a flyer on a seemingly resurging Mason and his new gear, than emptying the cupboards (or anything coming close) for a malcontent.
What are you talking about? Luongo's been handling this like a pro. He's said he's easy with anything, whether staying or going, and his agent reported not once has Luongo even been asked if he would waive his NTC by Gillis. Luongo's been as classy as it gets in this kind of situation.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
YOu see though I do want to get into the playoffs.

I would get Kipper or Backstrom if it only cost me D'Amigo + 3rd.

There are a ton of young goalies who are ready.

Look at WSH trading Vokoun for next to nothing.

COL 1st for Varlamov might be the worst trade of the last year.

People think BUrke is in this rush to make hte playoffs. Maybe he is.

I think an immediate extension solves this.

If Gillis is saying "You need Luongo to make the playoffs because your job is in jeopardy." I say we kill that buy just extending BUrke. I am more than OK with the other things he has done to give him the extension.

Even if he is fired next season what is $9M extension to the LEafs. As long as it doesn't count against the cap who cares?
I kind of hate Burke - but giving him an extension would probably be the best thing to do right now to prevent desperation moves. That or firing him

Halak for a 4th to St. Louis is the benchmark for your argument - what in the hell were MTL thinking.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:53 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
We need a #1 goalie, a #1 center, and a better #1 defenseman... or at least a really good #2 to support the weak #1 we have.

To make the play-offs, we probably only need to add one of these. The problem is that those are the toughest piece to add. Even if we do get one of them, how much do we lose from other areas?
Rask, Seguin, Edler and Hamilton all come to mind.

Lets not make the same mistake again shall we?

Old
10-27-2012, 11:09 AM
RogerRoeper*

Hamilton is a lock as a #1, but Rielly isn't even acknowledged as existing.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
darrylsittler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Having read the article I have to say it was a pretty poor argument. I think anyone who watches hockey would figure we would have made the playoffs with Luongo in net last year instead of Gus and Riemer.

Get into the playoffs and anything can happy, I think Luongo would be the difference. Those of you who want to tank every year and be the Oilers, can cheer for the Oilers. We are due some playoff hockey.
No Luongo might have gone in a funk and demanded a trade leaving us in another fine mess.This year has nothing to do with last year,other non playoff teams will improve also such as Carolina joining the Stall brothers.Luongo does not mean playoffs and if he becomes disgruntled he becomes another mess to fix.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
darrylsittler27

possibly..

Quote:
But drafting high REALLY matters. That's all I ever hear on here. So why is it a negative I wrote that?

The Leafs gave up the 9th overall pick last year and it was the end of the world. Leaf fans comment on getting 5th overall and it's sad we bring it up. Why the double-standard?
The fact compensation would have been a 1st,2nd,3rd in one year but Burke overpaid a division rival and that overpayment turned into Hamilton.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:24 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
The fact compensation would have been a 1st,2nd,3rd in one year but Burke overpaid a division rival and that overpayment turned into Hamilton.
This isn't even commenting on my point though.