HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I doubt its either of them. Canucks are stacked with goalie prospects and trading either of them leaves the Leafs or the Marlies short handed.

In the slight chance its one of them I think its Scrivens who goes.
What about the player themselves though?

The addition of Luongo by Toronto as the starter for the next decade, pushes 1 of Reimer/Scrivens into a backup role and closes the door entirely on the others NHL career with the Leafs making him redundant in the organization.

Reimer requires waivers to play for the Marlies if its Scrivens that backs up Luongo and Ben himself only needs a few more NHL games under his belt before he too must pass through waivers. So either/or of our current goalies is at risk here of being lost for nothing as a waiver claim.

So ideally in the best interest of the player and the team with best use of assets considered, by making one of our 2 goalies a part of the Luongo trade package does make the most sense big picture.

10-27-2012, 06:29 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
So ideally in the best interest of the player and the team with best use of assets considered, by making one of our 2 goalies a part of the Luongo trade package does make the most sense big picture.
Wouldn't it make more sense to deal a goalie to a team needing one?

I don't see Vancouver valuing either Reimer (with Schneider) or Scrivens (with Lack) very highly.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
I think this is a realistic and fair outcome.
I agree as well and because of these reasons, what it will cost to land Luongo will not be bundled garbage.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I don't even want a "fair" deal for Luongo. Either get him at a discounted price, or don't get him at all.

Burke already mentioned before his policy on mortaring the future for short term success, and I expect him to keep up with that policy in any talk in regards to Luongo.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:11 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
I agree as well and because of these reasons, what it will cost to land Luongo will not be bundled garbage.
Bundled garbage is fair for long term garbage contracts. Anyone know the exact way the contract for Lou works?

For all we know Lou has depressionissues or other issues. He is hot and cold already, he cant play in Boston etc...

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:28 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Bundled garbage is fair for long term garbage contracts. Anyone know the exact way the contract for Lou works?

For all we know Lou has depressionissues or other issues. He is hot and cold already, he cant play in Boston etc...
At least we know he'd fit in here!

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:31 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
At least we know he'd fit in here!
He is hot and cold and has been routinely made excuses for, if its not because him being a captain its something else. If people say Dion is overrated then wait till they get a load of Lou.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
What about the player themselves though?

The addition of Luongo by Toronto as the starter for the next decade, pushes 1 of Reimer/Scrivens into a backup role and closes the door entirely on the others NHL career with the Leafs making him redundant in the organization.

Reimer requires waivers to play for the Marlies if its Scrivens that backs up Luongo and Ben himself only needs a few more NHL games under his belt before he too must pass through waivers. So either/or of our current goalies is at risk here of being lost for nothing as a waiver claim.

I'd rather platoon Reimer with Lu if we do get him. Ive witnessed enough Lu meltdowns in the past few season to not put total confidence into his abilities. Keep Scrivens on the Marlies.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Ed Belfour

This isn't like we would be dealing for a bonafide superstar, Luongo has his issues beyond that of a terrible contract. I'm not sure I would even want him for free, let alone the hilarious proposals that Canucks fans have put forward in this thread.

Ed Belfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:22 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Belfour View Post
This isn't like we would be dealing for a bonafide superstar, Luongo has his issues beyond that of a terrible contract. I'm not sure I would even want him for free, let alone the hilarious proposals that Canucks fans have put forward in this thread.
I would be ok with him on two conditions

1) CBA changes mean we arent responsible for his caphit post retirement and the Canucks are.

2) Reimer isnt part of the deal.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I would be ok with him on two conditions

1) CBA changes mean we arent responsible for his caphit post retirement and the Canucks are.

2) Reimer isnt part of the deal.
I would also include not trading a 1st round pick to Vancouver. However worst case they make it conditional that Toronto makes the Playoffs for Vancouver to get it. If they miss then it turns into a 2nd round pick.

Plus Jake Gardiner, Morgan Reilly, Matt Frattin & Nazem Kadri are also not included.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Has a playoff bound team ever made a trade for a starting goalie at the deadline?
Huet in 2008 springs to mind.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
In the last 40 years. Right now we are "stacked" but we have not had an elite goalie since luongo, It was torture.
Take it from a leafs fan people only see what has happened in the past 5 years (Unless you are a leafs fan then 5 becomes n where n is the number of years you have missed the playoffs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I think anyone who doesn't want Luongo is probably a tank supporter. Let's cut the ******** we don't have a Markstrom, Subban, Holtby, Rask etc. waiting in the piplines that have starting goalie potential. We have Reimer/Scrivens/Rynnas/Owuya, 3 of those guys may never make it, and will likely top out as a back up goalie.

Luongo being 33 does not scare me, most goalies go till their 40 and remain competitive. Plus after the new CBA is settled and Van has to take care of when he retirements we have no worries.

Rielly, Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, JVR, Grabo, Finn and our 1st are going no where.

One of Kadri or Frattin may go along with a combination of either of: Bozak, Mac, Connolly, Lombardi, Franson, Colborne, Ashton etc. may go.

It's a move we can afford to make in my opinion.
Lou to some degree makes sense to this team but when it boils down to it Toronto hiring the guy who worked with Cory Schneider makes me think he could be the target. (Remember that Allaire was Lou's guy and he sort of walked.)

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote