HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2012, 05:51 PM
  #51
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
There is an article in the ny times that says the islanders with this move to brooklyn based on calculations are going to make approximately an additional $35 million dollars more annually in revenue than they are making now with the coliseum. and that is on the "low" end of the spectrum. so all these arguments in the past with some individuals on here who said the islanders cannot and will not make money moving into the barclays center makes me chuckle.
Considering I haven't seen one report on the details of the lease yet, I'd like to first see the link and then figure out how they came up with those numbers.

periferal is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 06:02 PM
  #52
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,199
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Considering I haven't seen one report on the details of the lease yet, I'd like to first see the link and then figure out how they came up with those numbers.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es/?ref=hockey
Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
  #53
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es/?ref=hockey
Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country

That is certainly promising, but we still need to see a lease. Without that we really can't say for sure how the financial pie will be divided up.

periferal is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 08:10 PM
  #54
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
A renovation costing hundreds of millions of dollars.
Disagree on the cost. I figure a "moderate" renovation (and I'm using that term very loosely) to center the rink and add about 1000 seats is going to run 75-100million. I think those funky little sections in teh corners with like 20 seats in them are going to go as part of that renovation.

I'm also guessing that there was something in the lease that promised some form of renovation in exchange for the 25 year lease.

nyscene is online now  
Old
10-26-2012, 08:12 PM
  #55
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
As an aside, I was over by the Barclay's Center today (I had to go to Pratt, which is about 20 blocks away from the arena--I park four blocks from the arena, on the corner of Dekalb & Ashland)--Took me, from Lindenhurst (Western Suffolk) about an hour to get there by car. Coming home (didn't leave until 6) about an hour and 20 minutes. Not too bad. And the arena is MUCH more impressive in person that in it in pictures.

nyscene is online now  
Old
10-26-2012, 08:18 PM
  #56
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,135
vCash: 500
I just had an idea...it's cheesy as hell, but whatever.

So since we have to deal with this silly horseshoe design of an arena, there won't be anything behind 1 of the goals. But what if they build a stage and have a band & our ice girls there? The band can play live pump up/goal music & the girls can dance. Have some fan contest to name the band or something.

I'm just trying to think of something to put back there instead of just a tarp over empty seats. That'll look so strange. not saying that a band wouldn't look strange, but at least it's something.

Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 12:53 AM
  #57
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Based on the quotes coming from Nassau pols over the last two days alone, I'm not sure these clowns even know how to tie their sneakers, let alone accommodate new "options" at the Hub. Nassau taxpayers -- and I'm one of them -- should be terrified right now with these people in charge.
.
I don't know which is funnier - listening to nassau pols or thinking about the first time Stan Fischler interviews Marty Markowitz. That will set the record for most SHTICK ever in one place.


Bert Marshall days is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 12:57 AM
  #58
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post


After trying to build a new arena for years, both with public and PRIVATE money, and being denied each time, it was blatantly obvious to most that the TOH (government and residents alike) do not care about the Islanders. Its a sad but true fact. Wang did something good for us fans. Gives us stablitiy and peace of mind knowing that they'll at least stay in the area for the forseeable furture. How is that not better than more years of uncertainty or annoucing a move the QC, KC, or whereever-the-****?

Im sure there would've been better offers from out of state, no doubt including a whole sale of the franchise, but this deal solidifies the Islanders staying in the area for a while. Funny how some people still act like Wang took a **** in their cornflakes.
There are fans on Long Island that don't like this because they are short sighted and don't understand the economics of the 21st century. It's this short sightedness that caused the Islanders to move. Economic growth and development is a good thing but most LIers are set in their ways.


Last edited by Bert Marshall days: 10-27-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Bert Marshall days is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 01:03 AM
  #59
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
There is an article in the ny times that says the islanders with this move to brooklyn based on calculations are going to make approximately an additional $35 million dollars more annually in revenue than they are making now with the coliseum. and that is on the "low" end of the spectrum. so all these arguments in the past with some individuals on here who said the islanders cannot and will not make money moving into the barclays center makes me chuckle.
I was chuckling for a year before this was shown. $35 million extra revenue per year vs what it costs to get out of the lease. 2 years of $35 million more. Someone do the math.

Bert Marshall days is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 01:20 AM
  #60
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,239
vCash: 446
I'm so pumped for this move. By the time we move in were are going to be contending, our prospects will be developed and become NHL regulars hopefully, and I feel alot better about us attracting free agents. In addition, the move is going to be not only refreshing for the fans, but I think it's going to be revitalziing for the players. The energy in this arena is going to be some of the best in the league, I need to be there for the first Isles-Rag$ game. By the way the seats look like they're looking right down on the action, I actually like that and think watching a game there is going to be great!!!

seafoam is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 02:25 AM
  #61
MarinerIslanderSean
Registered User
 
MarinerIslanderSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I just had an idea...it's cheesy as hell, but whatever.

So since we have to deal with this silly horseshoe design of an arena, there won't be anything behind 1 of the goals. But what if they build a stage and have a band & our ice girls there? The band can play live pump up/goal music & the girls can dance. Have some fan contest to name the band or something.

I'm just trying to think of something to put back there instead of just a tarp over empty seats. That'll look so strange. not saying that a band wouldn't look strange, but at least it's something.
I was thinking put some cheap $5-10 Loudville seats at that end for fans who just want to be rowdy and hurl insults at the other team no matter how much of the ice they can see (maybe give ticket holders in those sections some incentive like slightly discounted beer), but I like your thinking.

MarinerIslanderSean is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 03:54 AM
  #62
Steve55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
I was chuckling for a year before this was shown. $35 million extra revenue per year vs what it costs to get out of the lease. 2 years of $35 million more. Someone do the math.
Let's hope Mangano doesn't ask for a ridiculous amount to break the lease early.

How much do you think it will cost?

I think Mangano may ask for 10 million per year (if not more).

Steve55 is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 03:59 AM
  #63
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
Leaving NVMC early would be dependent on Barclays upgrades being ready.

KevFu is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:07 AM
  #64
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,199
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
That is certainly promising, but we still need to see a lease. Without that we really can't say for sure how the financial pie will be divided up.
Until the isles are playing in Barclays and Forbes comes out with another franchise value article, I doubt we'll have any idea of how the financial pie is divided.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:10 AM
  #65
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,199
vCash: 725
The fans who are unhappy with the move, who are complaining that Wang had until 2015 and did not wait until then... maybe he had a deadline from Barclay's execs.

Ever since Ratner started touting hockey at Barclay's, there's been speculation that if the NYI didn't end up at Barclay, the Rangers AHL team would.

Maybe Wang had a very strong offer on the table, but had to committ now or see Barclay's turn to the Rangers AHL team.

With no firm committment from Nassau County, I can't blame Wang for taking the Barclay's offer. I just don't want the logo or colors changing.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:32 AM
  #66
RealSturat
Registered User
 
RealSturat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
The bottom 5-8 rows of those sections are retractable, but really, there is nothing they can do with those sections, since the top 15 rows are concrete. Only the sections on the other end are fully retractable.
I dont think the concrete in the current non-retractable sections is an issue. My parents live in Las Vegas and they sent me many articles/photos on the major renovations that were done to the Thomas and Mack Center to accommodate an ice rink. That building had NO provisions for a rink in it and one was fit in there. To accomplish that, an entire wall section in the lower bowl was knocked down and rebuilt to make room for the rink.

If that can be done, then I feel modifications can be done far easier to the BC to center the rink and expand seating a bit. If they can get the seating to 15500 or so, isn't really a moot point. This will still be more than the NC sat when when the Islanders started playing there.

RealSturat is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:07 AM
  #67
TeamKidd
Registered User
 
TeamKidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
I do not blame Wang one bit for the move. That doesnt mean I like it. I think the islanders could have been viable in Nassau given a new arena...but the politicians never let it happen. I, for one, am going to vote every single incumbent out of office.

Oh, and i think Islanders fans should ready the reality that they WILL change color and logo and maybe name at some point within 5 years of the move. First of all, with the team in Brooklyn, if they want to get locals to go, who DONT IDENTIFY THEMSELVES AS "ISLANDERS"...they will have to change the name.

They most certainly will change the logo to incorporate brooklyn and queens at minimum...and you'll see a "third" jersey that adopts brooklyn VERY quickly...that will eventually become the first jersey.

It is naive to think otherwise. The move to Brooklyn saved the islanders....but also killed the islanders.

TeamKidd is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
  #68
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
I do not blame Wang one bit for the move. That doesnt mean I like it. I think the islanders could have been viable in Nassau given a new arena...but the politicians never let it happen. I, for one, am going to vote every single incumbent out of office.

Oh, and i think Islanders fans should ready the reality that they WILL change color and logo and maybe name at some point within 5 years of the move. First of all, with the team in Brooklyn, if they want to get locals to go, who DONT IDENTIFY THEMSELVES AS "ISLANDERS"...they will have to change the name.

They most certainly will change the logo to incorporate brooklyn and queens at minimum...and you'll see a "third" jersey that adopts brooklyn VERY quickly...that will eventually become the first jersey.

It is naive to think otherwise. The move to Brooklyn saved the islanders....but also killed the islanders.
So after existing in Brooklyn for 5 years as the New York Islanders, they are THEN going to change the name and the colors? Where's the logic in this? If they were gonna do that they would do it for 2015 so they can have a fresh start in a new arena and area and 2+ years of publicity to get the public excited about it

I think it's a given that we have a new Brooklyn themed 3rd jersey with the possibility of alt colors for 2015 though.

Look, we don't know what the move will mean for the Isles in the long run. It's all speculation. But at the moment, it certainly has more upside than floundering in Nassau for the rest of the team's existence. Amazing how fans complain of being kicked around, disrespected, and being called irrelevant for years, and then when the team takes a step towards credibility, they cry like children that 'their" team is gone. To me it's kinda proof that Nassau doesn't deserve the franchise anymore. It's exactly this mentality that killed off the Lighthouse and caused the referendum to fail.


Last edited by Strummergas: 10-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Strummergas is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  #69
Steve55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The fans who are unhappy with the move, who are complaining that Wang had until 2015 and did not wait until then... maybe he had a deadline from Barclay's execs.

Ever since Ratner started touting hockey at Barclay's, there's been speculation that if the NYI didn't end up at Barclay, the Rangers AHL team would.

Maybe Wang had a very strong offer on the table, but had to committ now or see Barclay's turn to the Rangers AHL team.

With no firm committment from Nassau County, I can't blame Wang for taking the Barclay's offer. I just don't want the logo or colors changing.
I hope the logo is altered to include Brooklyn and Queens ASAP.

Steve55 is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 12:01 PM
  #70
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
That is certainly promising, but we still need to see a lease. Without that we really can't say for sure how the financial pie will be divided up.
The Barclays is a private venture, so I don't see you viewin the lease anytime
Soon.

The only reason you know so many details on the current
Lease is bc nvmc is a public/government building and due to numerous legal actions it was released.

I wouldn't harp on the lease. Rattner wanted the Isles for his building and eventhough Wang had nowhere else to go, this appears to be an amicable relationship with favorable terms for both parties.

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 12:42 PM
  #71
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
Next game at NVMC (whenever the hell that'll be), we need to get a "Puck you Nassau" chant going. Family-friendly, of course.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 01:10 PM
  #72
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,135
vCash: 500
I don't even get why the lower bowl behind the goal can't be sold. It should be low enough where the angle doesn't cut off from the goal. I understand why they can't sell the seats up high, but down low shouldn't be a problem the way I'm picturing it in my head.

Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 01:19 PM
  #73
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
I do not blame Wang one bit for the move. That doesnt mean I like it. I think the islanders could have been viable in Nassau given a new arena...but the politicians never let it happen. I, for one, am going to vote every single incumbent out of office.

Oh, and i think Islanders fans should ready the reality that they WILL change color and logo and maybe name at some point within 5 years of the move. First of all, with the team in Brooklyn, if they want to get locals to go, who DONT IDENTIFY THEMSELVES AS "ISLANDERS"...they will have to change the name.

They most certainly will change the logo to incorporate brooklyn and queens at minimum...and you'll see a "third" jersey that adopts brooklyn VERY quickly...that will eventually become the first jersey.

It is naive to think otherwise. The move to Brooklyn saved the islanders....but also killed the islanders.
As a Brooklynite I agree. No one here associates themself with LI. But then again, Utah Jazz??? LA Dodgers??? LA Lakers??? I'm sure there's other examples. They survived & even thrived.

You're right about altering the current logo to include BK & Queens. That will definitely have to happen.

I think it's going to take a little bit longer than 5 years, but I agree that eventually the team name will change. Might not be for another 15 years, but I do think it will happen. My vote, as always is for NY or Brooklyn Knights. I love that name for a sports team.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
The Barclays is a private venture, so I don't see you viewin the lease anytime
Soon.

The only reason you know so many details on the current
Lease is bc nvmc is a public/government building and due to numerous legal actions it was released.

I wouldn't harp on the lease. Rattner wanted the Isles for his building and eventhough Wang had nowhere else to go, this appears to be an amicable relationship with favorable terms for both parties.
This is probably true. It's doubtful we'll ever get a true breakdown of what % of gate receipts & concessions Wang gets. But it's just logical to assume that this is a favorable deal. Otherwise, why sign it?


Last edited by Isles Junkie: 10-27-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 02:46 PM
  #74
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I don't even get why the lower bowl behind the goal can't be sold. It should be low enough where the angle doesn't cut off from the goal. I understand why they can't sell the seats up high, but down low shouldn't be a problem the way I'm picturing it in my head.
The league would not have approved this move without having some solid information on how the arena would work in 2015. I understand there is a lot of uncertainty here - especially considering about 98% of this board have even been to the arena (a) yet, (b) for a hockey game.

The last thing the league would want is a three lead into a botched designed building. Sorry, that's bad for business any way you look at it. The 'early' announcement allows BC time to consider modifications, gives the Isles room to begin to expand the fanbase and market to a new one, and quashes the uncertainty surrounding where NYI will be headed.

To me, this is all a positive sign. I wouldn't be surprised if Wang and Rattner share in any mods to the arena.

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 02:48 PM
  #75
lorwood
Registered User
 
lorwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Let's hope Mangano doesn't ask for a ridiculous amount to break the lease early.

How much do you think it will cost?

I think Mangano may ask for 10 million per year (if not more).
Don't forget Wang holds the development rights until 2015 so if Nassau wants to move forward he has some leverage.

lorwood is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.