HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Houston Aeros @ OKC Barons, Friday 10/26 6PM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 10:49 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Im liking these updates, good commentary on thesr boards..had to leave for work after the second..this makes my job a lil more entertaining!
Nice..

Old
10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
They should be one of the top teams but it's unrealistic to expect them to dominate the league.
I agree. its early. they will go on a tear. If the NHL doens't play, I bet Nuge and Ebs will still lead the league in scoring and the Barons will be the best team. It is too early to get too worried.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Wow, I've liked what I've heard from Nelson and thought that he was a good coach, but it's looking like to me that he isn't getting the best from his team for some reason or another. The defense is suspect beyond the top pairing and Fedun and Teubert when they are on their games, but there is no chemistry whatsoever beyond the top line, and without RNH, no chemistry period.

The team looked like they flat out gave up after RNH went down.
I've often wondered why people just assumed Nelson could walk in and be a great coach for NHL players. Theres a world of difference in getting minor leaguers and NHLers to listen to you. I really think its too early in Nelson's learning curve to have it as an expectation that he could be an NHL head coach.

tbh I've never been all that impressed with his line of thinking either. He hasn't really done that good a job preparing players for the show imo. We send guys down and they basically don't work on what they need to be working on. At least not to the degree that you note much improvement in Edmonton. Nelsons been running this OKC ship strictly for Nelson and wins and losses column rather than for org benefit.

Now he's not even getting the wins.

Much more comfortable with Krueger in the drivers seat.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
The defense is way too young.

When Plante and Teubert are your vets you're in trouble... Ringwald is an absolute joke.

Marincin, Schultz, Fedun and Davidson are all rookies.

There's going to be some growing pains.
This is just showing how bad Teubert and Plante are and have always been.

Which raises the question why this org continually raises pups that just aren't any good and even goes out actively looking for them. It took me one TC with each of these players to detect considerable problems. With some players there should be a hard look at just cutting bait.

My prognosis for each of these players was poor. In the case of Teubert another org had already established that. Edmonton loves its projects. Blind arrogance for a club that is batting poorly on that strategy. They keep looking for the next buy Lowe reclamation project.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
They should be one of the top teams but it's unrealistic to expect them to dominate the league.
Put numbers to it, what would you expect their record to be? What kind of goals for per game? Assuming that there is no NHL season of course.

10-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Soundwave

This team needs more emotion from the sounds of it, lucky for them they are probably going to have Taylor Hall in a week.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've often wondered why people just assumed Nelson could walk in and be a great coach for NHL players. Theres a world of difference in getting minor leaguers and NHLers to listen to you. I really think its too early in Nelson's learning curve to have it as an expectation that he could be an NHL head coach.

tbh I've never been all that impressed with his line of thinking either. He hasn't really done that good a job preparing players for the show imo. We send guys down and they basically don't work on what they need to be working on. At least not to the degree that you note much improvement in Edmonton. Nelsons been running this OKC ship strictly for Nelson and wins and losses column rather than for org benefit.

Now he's not even getting the wins.

Much more comfortable with Krueger in the drivers seat.
If Nelson is such a bad coach, why the success in the AHL last year? Krueger is yet TBD IMO so I won't speculate on that comp.

Quote:
This is just showing how bad Teubert and Plante are and have always been.

Which raises the question why this org continually raises pups that just aren't any good and even goes out actively looking for them. It took me one TC with each of these players to detect considerable problems. With some players there should be a hard look at just cutting bait.

My prognosis for each of these players was poor. In the case of Teubert another org had already established that. Edmonton loves its projects. Blind arrogance for a club that is batting poorly on that strategy. They keep looking for the next buy Lowe reclamation project.
Teubert may or may not become an NHL d-man, however he was not the only asset returned in that trade, Klefbom and Zharkov rounded out that trade. BTW-I recall you mocking Teubert's inability to fight, did you see his fight tonight? If not while it was just one fight, he really nailed his opponent. As for Plante, he has regressed in a big way which is inexcusable for a 4th year pro.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This team needs more emotion from the sounds of it, lucky for them they are probably going to have Taylor Hall in a week.
I've mentioned how we lack an Ewanyk type down there, Pitlick's physicality has been lacking the last couple of games IMO. Tonight the physical presence was brought by Harski, Teubert, and Byers and not much else. If Pitlick isn't scoring or hitting, he's not having a very good game. Hamilton tries to play physical but he seems to need more strength to play that game at this level with much success.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:35 AM
nullterm

I like how Nelson is being judged less than a month in with a 3-3 record out of a 76 game season.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I like how Nelson is being judged less than a month in with a 3-3 record out of a 76 game season.
No one is calling for his head, but the PK is a mess, there is little to no chemistry on any line beyond the top line, it's either the coach not getting enough out of his players or the players aren't very good. He has carte blanche in terms of systems play so IMO that falls on his head, do you disagree?

Old
10-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Looks like I'm not the only one upset with the effort and result tonight..... http://newsok.com/coach-todd-nelson-...rticle/3722961

That's why I've liked Nelson, he calls it as he sees it, no beating around the bush. This is no Tom Renney that blows smoke up everyone's ass.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:53 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
You and me both.

You should see what some people are saying about the Oil Kings with a 7-3 record.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
You and me both.

You should see what some people are saying about the Oil Kings with a 7-3 record.
He's been under a ton of pressure, just check out his press conference after the last Lake Erie game.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
You and me both.

Oil kings are actually 7-3-3.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I take back what I said earlier in the AHL year, schultz looks like he has all the tools to be a #1 or at least a Top end #2 D-man in the NHL.

I am bitter

Old
10-27-2012, 03:59 AM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I take back what I said earlier in the AHL year, schultz looks like he has all the tools to be a #1 or at least a Top end #2 D-man in the NHL.

I am bitter
Takes big balls for that.

Be proud of your big balls!

Schultz is definitely a beautiful defenseman. I hope he turns out as well as he is projecting =)

Old
10-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Plante has been horrible, I've seen him better at the NHL level and if he was this bad through his ELC there's no way in hell that we'd sign him. Teubert has been paired with crap and therefor hasn't looked as good as he could. Danis? You have to go back to '07-08 to find his stats being anywhere near as bad as they've been.

In: RNH, Eberle, Martindale, Byers, Pelss, Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Davidson, Roy

Out: Keller, Tremblay, Grant, Yeo, Helmer, Chorney, Rodney, Montgomery, Leneveu

Sorry, not buying it.
Helmer instead of Plante or Davidson, and better goaltending would make a huge difference right now. Helmer is about 100 but he was a steady reliable dman and a valuable veteran presence. Plante has been just terrible, and after a pretty good start Davidson is really showing how raw he is.

Plane's back must be a problem. He is a shadow of the player he was last year.

Schultz has been very good of course, but I have also thought Marincin has played much better than I expected. He has been solid to very good almost every night. Wha also surprised me is how well they seem to play together. But both are still AHL rookies.

Others obviously disagree, but I think Teubert has also played fairly well. He's the only guy on the backend right now who is consistently nasty. The punch he landed on Bulmer, who is a pretty tough hombre was a statement. But he has the job of babysitting Davidson, and that really ties his hands.

I'd like to see Davidson go to Stockton and see Teigan Zahn be given a shot with OKC. Zahn is young as well but he has some real bite in his game. He and Teubert could be a tough pair to play against.

In the end, though it might be the goaltending that is the big difference this year. With Danis playing at the top of his game the Barons would be 5-1.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:05 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
I've mentioned how we lack an Ewanyk type down there, Pitlick's physicality has been lacking the last couple of games IMO. Tonight the physical presence was brought by Harski, Teubert, and Byers and not much else. If Pitlick isn't scoring or hitting, he's not having a very good game. Hamilton tries to play physical but he seems to need more strength to play that game at this level with much success.
Thought Tyrvainen was suppose to bring that?

Old
10-27-2012, 09:11 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Tom Gazzola (@TomGazzola)
According to Todd Nelson, Nugent-Hopkins' teeth were pushed back when he took a high-stick in the 1st period. Sent to hospital for repairs.

Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers)
"Nuge got stuck in the mouth and is getting some dental work done." - #Barons Coach Nelson on RNH's injury
Should've left them messed up, he could've battled Eberle for worse teeth on the team.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If Nelson is such a bad coach, why the success in the AHL last year? Krueger is yet TBD IMO so I won't speculate on that comp.
Did you read my post? I said Nelson would have more trouble handing established NHLers and this is the case presently. I've specifically pointed out why Nelson may have had a winning record last year is thats HIS bottom line in the AHL. A league where most orgs would want the AHL team to cater to the NHL teams needs rather than their own.
Nelson is guilty of not developing players in the roles they would be playing in Edmonton. He instead uses those players to the best of his advantage in OKC. This is not entirely helpful.

Quote:
Teubert may or may not become an NHL d-man, however he was not the only asset returned in that trade, Klefbom and Zharkov rounded out that trade. BTW-I recall you mocking Teubert's inability to fight, did you see his fight tonight? If not while it was just one fight, he really nailed his opponent. As for Plante, he has regressed in a big way which is inexcusable for a 4th year pro.
Teuberts not very good at reading the ice, making decisions, and playing under quick pressure. But I really question his thinking process in general. Not very bright.

ps I didn't mention the trade.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Looks like I'm not the only one upset with the effort and result tonight..... http://newsok.com/coach-todd-nelson-...rticle/3722961

That's why I've liked Nelson, he calls it as he sees it, no beating around the bush. This is no Tom Renney that blows smoke up everyone's ass.
Only results matter. Anybody can say the words.

His club by his own admission had a poor practice the day of the game, showed disinterest in the pregame skate, got their ***** handed to them in the game, and the coach is talking about it after the game.

Heres another option. Get at people when you sense that something is off. When the game is over is too late for that game. Will it serve as motivation for the next game? Who knows.

Like I said Nelson is going to have more trouble motivating this crew many of whom are already established in their minds.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Stoneman89

Unbelievable how Nelson is getting trashed on here by some people after a slow start. It's 6 games.
This team has a young and inexperienced defence on the whole. Plante was being counted on to help the younger guys bridge the gap and buy some time till they get their feet wet. He's stunk. Schultz, Davidson, Fedun and Marincin all have talent, but are in their first year of pro. Check out a lot of the other teams and see that they have a few vets on D. Makes a huge difference. Also, Denis has not played very well, not sure why. Sub-par goaltending will highlite other deficiencies, as we've seen oh too many times with the big club.

I think when Taylor Hall starts playing and up to speed, it will have a huge effect on this team. His speed pushes defences back and spreads them out, and I think Yakupov will have the same effect once he gets over to the Oilers.

Before we start running over Nelson with the bus, I think it would be a good idea to have a bit of patience. It's really early. Take a deep breath and relax.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Takes big balls for that.

Be proud of your big balls!

Schultz is definitely a beautiful defenseman. I hope he turns out as well as he is projecting =)
This, it takes balls to admit when you are wrong and even worse bitter about something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Helmer instead of Plante or Davidson, and better goaltending would make a huge difference right now. Helmer is about 100 but he was a steady reliable dman and a valuable veteran presence. Plante has been just terrible, and after a pretty good start Davidson is really showing how raw he is.

Plane's back must be a problem. He is a shadow of the player he was last year.

Schultz has been very good of course, but I have also thought Marincin has played much better than I expected. He has been solid to very good almost every night. Wha also surprised me is how well they seem to play together. But both are still AHL rookies.

Others obviously disagree, but I think Teubert has also played fairly well. He's the only guy on the backend right now who is consistently nasty. The punch he landed on Bulmer, who is a pretty tough hombre was a statement. But he has the job of babysitting Davidson, and that really ties his hands.

I'd like to see Davidson go to Stockton and see Teigan Zahn be given a shot with OKC. Zahn is young as well but he has some real bite in his game. He and Teubert could be a tough pair to play against.

In the end, though it might be the goaltending that is the big difference this year. With Danis playing at the top of his game the Barons would be 5-1.
Goaltending has been a let down for sure, Plante has been beyond awful, the team except for a small handful of players don't seem to be giving 100% out there, it really is a mess at the moment. Secondary scoring is minimal as well which is a problem. As for Teubert I'll also give him a pass for babysitting. As for Zahn I don't see why it would be a bad thing to bring him up and Davidson down TBH, if Plante can't give us that physical presence because of health issues or he just flat out isn't quick enough then we need another guy that can bring that type of game and from what I understand that is Zahn's game to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Thought Tyrvainen was suppose to bring that?
Hard to do that from the PB. I'd bet that he'll be in there the next time that we play the Aeros, perhaps we'll finally see Abney up as well?

Quote:
Did you read my post? I said Nelson would have more trouble handing established NHLers and this is the case presently. I've specifically pointed out why Nelson may have had a winning record last year is thats HIS bottom line in the AHL. A league where most orgs would want the AHL team to cater to the NHL teams needs rather than their own.
Nelson is guilty of not developing players in the roles they would be playing in Edmonton. He instead uses those players to the best of his advantage in OKC. This is not entirely helpful.

Teuberts not very good at reading the ice, making decisions, and playing under quick pressure. But I really question his thinking process in general. Not very bright.

ps I didn't mention the trade.
I think that is a bit of a cop out (him not looking to develop the players) look at Hamilton as exhibit A, does he deserve more ice based on his play this season? He was on the 3rd line last night ahead of a trusty and tough hombre like Byers.

As for him not handling NHL players, right now he's in charge of motivating guys that are making 1/50th their potential NHL salaries and who clearly would rather be in the NHL, that's not his fault.

Lastly on Teubert, it's no secret that his game at the next level will be about physical play and defensive play. So while it is obviously important that he improves his breakouts, he'll never be an offensive D or even 2 way D.

As for the trade, it needed to be mentioned because he was acquired via trade, had LA offered Hickey instead of Teubert would you have taken him instead? IMO they saw that Plante wasn't good enough so they took a chance on him, I'm not ready to write him off just yet, especially if Sutton's career is done.

Quote:
Only results matter. Anybody can say the words.

His club by his own admission had a poor practice the day of the game, showed disinterest in the pregame skate, got their ***** handed to them in the game, and the coach is talking about it after the game.

Heres another option. Get at people when you sense that something is off. When the game is over is too late for that game. Will it serve as motivation for the next game? Who knows.

Like I said Nelson is going to have more trouble motivating this crew many of whom are already established in their minds.
IMO it's better to wait until they screw up and then blast them. Then they see the repercussions of their actions and basically are made to look pretty stupid and unprofessional about it. I'd say that we see a much more focused Barons team the next game.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Unbelievable how Nelson is getting trashed on here by some people after a slow start. It's 6 games.
This team has a young and inexperienced defence on the whole. Plante was being counted on to help the younger guys bridge the gap and buy some time till they get their feet wet. He's stunk. Schultz, Davidson, Fedun and Marincin all have talent, but are in their first year of pro. Check out a lot of the other teams and see that they have a few vets on D. Makes a huge difference. Also, Denis has not played very well, not sure why. Sub-par goaltending will highlite other deficiencies, as we've seen oh too many times with the big club.

I think when Taylor Hall starts playing and up to speed, it will have a huge effect on this team. His speed pushes defences back and spreads them out, and I think Yakupov will have the same effect once he gets over to the Oilers.

Before we start running over Nelson with the bus, I think it would be a good idea to have a bit of patience. It's really early. Take a deep breath and relax.
I'm not trashing Nelson on the basis of 6 games. I haven't liked his contribution to the parent teams interests from last season. This is a guy building his own resume only. Its not a guy thats properly developing players for the real team.

Really I could care less about the record of the farm team. What I do care about is development of NHL players at the actual positions and situation that they would find themselve in an NHL game. Nelson doesn't do that. He puts NHL bottom 6 on the OKC PP for whatever reason instead of acclimatizing them to their NHL role as expected.

What one player in the org improved his NHL game on the basis of spending time on the farm? Maybe too early to tell but from Nelson's comments player usage its seems not even to be his focus. There should only be one goal. Helping the parent team.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

No matter how you slice it an 0.887 save % from Danis doesn't cut it, time to get Roy in there and see what he can do.

Closed Thread