HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 182: Take Off Your Pants And Jacket

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Man you stocked the fort. I left the area and went home.
Yeah dude, I live in a pretty ****** area as far as power goes. We were out of power for over a week after Irene since my street is pretty much just a standalone horseshoe type thing, they said "Eh it's only 20 houses, **** you guys you can wait" Lesson learned.

Plus, now I have a kid in tow, so ain't no ****ing around.

I did all the food shopping yesterday, did the last minute Lowes and Depot runs today for proper extension cords, chain saw, etc. I also have 2 case of beer, had a bottle of bourbon (may need another liquor store run), handle of gin, tonic, limes,....I'm set

I've got food and water for the wife and kid too

Good part of all of this is I can relax tomorrow while people are sweating out bottles of water and packs of batteries all day

I think i'll do some Halloween shopping.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:06 AM
VaxjoDevil

I have a flight on Tuesday. Should I just wait and see or change that **** already? I HAVE to be in NM on Wednesday, but what if I change it to Wed and the storm is delayed and and hits later than expected? ****ing cluster****, this.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Make that **** for tomorrow or Sunday, airport will be closed on Monday probably, where you flying out of? My sister in law is Airport Ops at EWR, I'll ask her tomorrow what their game plan is.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:16 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Make that **** for tomorrow or Sunday, airport will be closed on Monday probably, where you flying out of? My sister in law is Airport Ops at EWR, I'll ask her tomorrow what their game plan is.
EWR. Agh, I don't want to go on Sunday already. I'll wait a bit to see how soon it will hit. This is a 6K gig, so I shouldn't be to casual about it, but ****, I just don't want to leave that early.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Dude EWR gets cancellations from a regular ass thunderstorm. I forget how long they were shut down for after Irene but it was a few days, 1 prior and at least 2 or 3 after.

I'll call or email her tomorrow and see what their contingency plans are and when they anticipate shutting down.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:26 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Dude EWR gets cancellations from a regular ass thunderstorm. I forget how long they were shut down for after Irene but it was a few days, 1 prior and at least 2 or 3 after.

I'll call or email her tomorrow and see what their contingency plans are and when they anticipate shutting down.
Holy ****, if you could do that and send me a pm perhaps that would be absolutely awesome, I owe you a big one for sure.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:37 AM
VaxjoDevil

Today's New York Times article on China's Premier made China blocking NYTimes.com and Twitter and any site mentioning his name. That is what I call first rate journalism that actually makes a difference.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:53 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
I also have 2 case of beer, had a bottle of bourbon (may need another liquor store run), handle of gin, tonic, limes,....I'm set
You're awesome.

Personally when these storms are this far out, I view it like a golf course, the safest place is right in the middle of the green where people are aiming. Sure, it's projected to come RIGHT over us, but they more often dont go "right over" where they think they will 4 days out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I have a flight on Tuesday. Should I just wait and see or change that **** already? I HAVE to be in NM on Wednesday, but what if I change it to Wed and the storm is delayed and and hits later than expected? ****ing cluster****, this.
Dude, change that thing!!!!

I'm hopeful this wont hit us, but it's SO gigantic that there's zero chance that flight wont be impacted.

Put it this way, of the 30 current model runs (below) there's only 3 I see that wouldn't impact your flight. So there's a 10% chance you wouldn't be affected, right? Nope, it's actually even less, because those 3 runs are the outliers. lol

Old
10-27-2012, 08:37 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-25...ter/202562625/

Old
10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

This time my parents learned to cover the basement windows. They don't want to spend all night staying up keeping water from entering the basement. lol I couldn't get them to buy a back up generator though.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:38 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

in the two cars i could drive to work next week i have a full tank combined. that's probably the only thing i will do today. the basement will flood (water comes from 1 window) but all my stuff is at least 3" off the floor and far away from that window.

I also love finding accounting errors regarding my pay while not being an accountant. You'd figure the guy getting 2x my salary would not make the mistake, right?

Last edited by njdevsfn95: 10-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
10-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Disagree on Obama. Polls thus far are status quo post third debate, including the 3-day trackers that have incorporated 100% data. WaPo is status quo with 75% post debate data (though it's possible, though not likely, tomorrow a big Romney day could drop off and be replaced with a big Obama day). Gallup looked promising on that front dropping from Romney +5% to Romney +3% post debate, but it's back to 5% today (though that one is 7-day and has more time for a positive Obama movement) so I dont think you'll get better than have it swing down to Romney +3% by Monday.
I'm not looking at the national polls. I'm looking at the only ones that matter, the swing state tracking polls. Obama is gaining in Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, New Hampshire, Nevada, and Iowa. Florida and North Carolina have stayed with Romney after being competitive states earlier in the campaign. But if Obama wins all or most of those states I listed in the first group, he will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Today's New York Times article on China's Premier made China blocking NYTimes.com and Twitter and any site mentioning his name. That is what I call first rate journalism that actually makes a difference.
Puts quite a fine point on China's absurd amounts of censorship, doesn't it? A free society does not require that restriction of information. It is a strong reminder that while the Chinese have opened up their economy to capitalist investment, their social policies and attitudes toward civil liberties are still very much stuck in the totalitarian mindset.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm not looking at the national polls. I'm looking at the only ones that matter, the swing state tracking polls. Obama is gaining in Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, New Hampshire, Nevada, and Iowa. Florida and North Carolina have stayed with Romney after being competitive states earlier in the campaign. But if Obama wins all or most of those states I listed in the first group, he will win.
It's a bit of a misnomer that National polls dont matter. Think of them as leading indicator research, the state polls nearly always move at least a bit towards them. Ohio is an exception and has stuck with Obama, partially because he has spent the GDP of a 3rd world nation there. lol

You're a bit off on some of the above though, NH is looking pretty good for Romney, the only 2 recent polls with Obama ahead there are university polls (one is it's first ever poll, so why it got included into RCP is beyond me), which are the bottom feeders. CO is "tied" right now in the average of polls, but if you rip apart the internals of those polls, Romney looks really solid to win CO, I'd bet money on it (and I am in fact, lol) with high confidence. Obama has a clear advantage in NV, there has not been a single poll in NV (ever) that shows Romney in the lead, though given the time and money he spends there, one would think RNC polling must has it closer. Obama also has the advantage in IA as you said, but he's not gaining, I'm not sure where you get that, in fact, Obama is frankly deteriorating virtually all over the map. IMO, IA is the toughest state to accurreately gauge, because the data is bizarrely all over the place and some of it doesn't make sense with conflicting messages.

Lastly, VA? Stick a fork in it, Romney has that one. Obama has "quietly" reduced spend there. So why are Obama2012 still spending some money and making another appearance there if they know Romney will win? Simple answer =Tim Kaine. Kaine is up even though Obama is down, if the DNC abandons VA they'd be throwing away a Senate seat. So you're going hear "Obama thinks they can in VA" right up to election day, but they know it's not true.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Holik to HHOF

Getting tickets for Tschaikovsky's Nutcracker. I assure you, im straight.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:21 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Slightly improving news. Models are pulling the storm south of us a bit. Sandy will still be a *****, but every little bit south will decrease our rain total.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Funny story at this bar in manhattan last night. Involved me and an ******* bartender.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Scott04

My only plan for stocking up is to make sure I'm loaded up enough with booze. Beer if we have power but really can't go too far. Liquor in case we're out of power and I need to drink something that doesn't have to be cold. Always good to have contingency plans.

I also love how panicky everyone is getting, making it impossible to go anywhere on some roads, regardless of my purpose. Took me about 30 minutes round trip to get coffee from a place that is 1-2 miles from my house.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
EliasFTW

Met a girl in the bar last night. She said she liked video games because its fun to kill people. I got scared. She then started taking her shirt off and talking about ****. Fear boner.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:50 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Slightly improving news. Models are pulling the storm south of us a bit. Sandy will still be a *****, but every little bit south will decrease our rain total.

Yes, but we are now subject to the worst of the storms winds.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I love how excited some of my friends are getting for this storm, and I can only imagine all the *****y gripes they'll have should we lose power for a week.

10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I love how excited some of my friends are getting for this storm, and I can only imagine all the *****y gripes they'll have should we lose power for a week.
Definitely concur with this. Few people I know are actually planning on running around in the storm as it happens (Adrenaline junkies/storm chase enthusiasts). I'm just shaking my head as they brag about it. Hoping they aren't really serious.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Yes, but we are now subject to the worst of the storms winds.
Yup. But I'll take that over 10+ inches of rain. 10+ inches of rain? I'm not that old, but that's never happened in Jersey in my lifetime. I presume it would be near a record or a record. I know there was a huge flood in the 50's that I think still stands as the worst, but this would top that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I always downplay these things, because the models are more often wrong than right about the eventual track, but the lockstep agreement between UKMET, EURO, and even GFS is very unusual, so it looks like we're not escaping it.

In fact, if this thing doesnt hit, I think it would forever shake my faith in the weather prediction models, because this is about as consensus as they get.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:24 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Yup. But I'll take that over 10+ inches of rain. 10+ inches of rain? I'm not that old, but that's never happened in Jersey in my lifetime. I presume it would be near a record or a record. I know there was a huge flood in the 50's that I think still stands as the worst, but this would top that.

I always downplay these things, because the models are more often wrong than right about the eventual track, but the lockstep agreement between UKMET, EURO, and even GFS is very unusual, so it looks like we're not escaping it.

In fact, if this thing doesnt hit, I think it would forever shake my faith in the weather prediction models, because this is about as consensus as they get.
I hate both options. I'm in a flood zone.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
I hate both options. I'm in a flood zone.
I'm all for witnessing the power of nature, but I'm also all for being able to utilize my refrigerator.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
Met a girl in the bar last night. She said she liked video games because its fun to kill people. I got scared. She then started taking her shirt off and talking about ****. Fear boner.
You always have the most bizarre stories about meeting women in bars. I wonder where all these crazy chicks are hiding when I go out.

Closed Thread