HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank You Wang

Old
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

vCash: 500
i've always been curious: i know brooklyn is a part of the island, but does brooklyn technically count as part of long island? i guess either way keeping the name won't be as dumb as the utah jazz or LA lakers.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Steve55

Despite Wang being a crook and a lunatic in the past, I have to say THANK YOU.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:47 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
Thanks. Never really thought of him as a viable owner, and the Madoff thing is relatively recent.
Out of anyone specifically mentioned during that time, the only serious potential owners were the guys who actually did buy the team. There were a couple people mentioned as "potential" owners, but they were pipe-dream guys like Paul Allen.

Wilpon's name was brought up a couple times in the 1990s. He's a real estate guy so the NVMC land idea was in his wheelhouse, and he seriously explored the Islanders when the idea of a sports network first came up. But he switched his attention to getting a new Mets stadium built (the first attempt, before 9/11/01 justifiably dried up city funding) and when the John Spano thing went down he gave an emphatic "no" when approached by Pickett.

Since then, he's kicked around the idea again. He talked to Wang in 2010. I don't know/think he was ever a SERIOUS viable candidate, but he was a hell of a lot closer than anyone else ever mention who has never owned the team (and more than Spano! heh heh)

KevFu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Thank you Wang! Now, sell the team or start to spend some money.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
If it's true Wang turned down lucrative offers to move the team out of the NY area, and refused, hats off to him. We'll probably never know just how close we really were to losing the NY Islanders as they exist now.
Does anyone here believe bettman and the rest of the owners would allow Wang to relocate at the expense of a franchise fee excluded from hockey related revenue? Uh, yeah, sure.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Out of anyone specifically mentioned during that time, the only serious potential owners were the guys who actually did buy the team. There were a couple people mentioned as "potential" owners, but they were pipe-dream guys like Paul Allen.

Wilpon's name was brought up a couple times in the 1990s. He's a real estate guy so the NVMC land idea was in his wheelhouse, and he seriously explored the Islanders when the idea of a sports network first came up. But he switched his attention to getting a new Mets stadium built (the first attempt, before 9/11/01 justifiably dried up city funding) and when the John Spano thing went down he gave an emphatic "no" when approached by Pickett.

Since then, he's kicked around the idea again. He talked to Wang in 2010. I don't know/think he was ever a SERIOUS viable candidate, but he was a hell of a lot closer than anyone else ever mention who has never owned the team (and more than Spano! heh heh)
His talks with Wang centered around building an arena adjacent to Citifield, not buying the team.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Thank you Wang! Now, sell the team or start to spend some money.
This! As happy as I am that the team is staying local, I don't want to hear in the year 2020, "sure our team just missed the playoffs for the 15th straight year, but at least Wang didn't move it!" It's time to put up or shut up.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:02 AM
stranger34

I personally will be trying to start up

THANK-YOU-CHARLES! Chants at the coliseum if hockey ever comes back

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Happy as I am that we get some closure, I agree with the "put up or shut up" sentiment. Revenue from move + new CBA should = better, more expensive on-ice product, and while we have every reason to believe Wang will or won't spend, my excitement from yesterday's announcement has cleared, and I now feel a cautious, guarded-but-optimistic impatience. I want hockey to begin so we can all see where this goes next.

Thank you Charles - you pulled a decent victory out of what was shaping up to be a huge defeat; too bad the war isn't over. Prove you're not a Benedict Arnold by spending to win a few battles on the FA front.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
DEVILSEBO
Corners vs Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
You know, this hasn't been said nearly enough, and forgetting all the cap ceiling nonsense that plagued him before, thank you Charles Wang for keeping the Islanders on Long Island.

The position he was put in by politicians, not allowing him to build an arena with his own money or taxpayer money, all while the on-ice product hemorrhages money, is an unbelievable difficult one, and from his business partner going to prison to the US economy collapsing on itself, he could have easily sold the team to interests who would relocate them to Canada or elsewhere.

Once hockey starts up again and Wang starts pennypinching we can hate him again... but this guy deserves some love for staying the course and dealing with a lot more obstacles than most sports owners face.

So let me get this straight. You are thanking an inept owner that drove it's current fanbase to practical extinction by placing an inferior product on the ice for years for what? Moving a team he mismanaged to a location away from it's detoriating fanbase to an arena that's not even hockey ready? Wang had legitimate gripes about the NVMC but that doesn't excuse the fact his mgt team is a joke. No excuse to field the teams he has regardless of the lease. If the team had been competitive they would have maintained some semblence of a fanbase hence they might have gotten approval for a new building. Lack of interest in the team led by Wang's ineptitude is what caused voter indifference when it came time to vote. Book this, the first issue is going to be the cost of adding seats to BC and then it begins. And yes I am a Devils fan but the dynasty years is what led me to the game in the early 80's. Have always had a soft spot for the isles.

DEVILSEBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
DoggyOnDown

I'll give credit where credit is due. But now there are no more excuses. I expect a big push to attract top level talent.

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Boik14

Never been a fan of Charles Wang but have to say he did right by us here. He confirmed in an interview with Fatcessa on WFAN Radio yesterday (around 535PM) that it was Brooklyn or gone. We dont know what he was offered by other people or what his other options were but ill take having a team over not having one even if it will be a minor inconvenience getting too and from games.

Secondly, sports is a business to these owners. To us as fans not so much but to criticize Wang for making a few bucks just because it inconveniences you, is dumb. I, personally will never think of sports as a business because thats what keeps it pure for me but this is a capitalist society and almost everything in business is done with money in mind.

Lastly, while we probably shouldnt expect Wang to spend until hes in the new arena, be thankful the storm is over now and we have something to look forward to.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
This is mindnumbingly brilliant. Oh well, watch him make money with 15,000 seats and no advertising. You just lost about all of Suffolk, numbnuts.
I disagree. I currently live in the Port Jeff area, and this really doesn't make much of a difference to me. I go to about 10-15 games a year and I don't see that changing. Weekdays I'm in Hauppage right off the LIE until 5, and can go straight to a 7:00pm game with plenty of time to spare. By car or train, doesn't matter.

I think if you are truly a fan of this team, regardless of whether you live in Astoria or Montauk, you will find a way to games. I'm sure anyone from Suffolk who no longer intends on attending games will be more than made up for by the amount of new fans coming in from Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/Jersey/etc.

I wish this team was still in Nassau or even in Suffolk. That said, I'd choose Brooklyn over Kansas City or Oklahoma or Quebec or whatever out of state city that wanted this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I thank him for keeping the Isles in the area all these years, when most business men would have sold to outside interests long ago. That is all.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt & assume he's going to get the club back up to NHL specs. Not only on the ice but off the ice as well. We need a team President, Director of Hockey Ops, we need a larger scouting staff and everything else we've been missing the last several years. It's time to rejoin the NHL.
The way I see it, this team has enough talent coming through internally that even if they don't make any signings over the course of the next 3 years, we should still be heading into Brooklyn in 2015 with a decent or better team headed by a legit superstar in John Tavares.

IMO, you take a good, young team with a bright future; a legit franchise player in JT that top players would love to play with; and the natural hype of moving into a brand new building in a new highly populated city... I'd honestly be surprised if the Isles didn't draw the attention of a few big name UFAs.

FYI - as of now, the UFAs slated to hit the market that offseason are Bobby Ryan, David Krejci, Johnny Boychuk, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Jordin Tootoo, Tomas Fleischmann, Scotty Upshall, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Martin Erat, Mike Fisher, Marc Staal, Jason Spezza, Danny Briere, Zbynek Michalek, MA Fleury, Martin Havlat, Brad Stuart, Barret Jackman, Martin St. Louis(he'll be 40), Ryan Malone, Cory Schneider, and Mike Green.

Obviously a lot of these guys will be re-signed by then, considering this is still 3 years away. But expect a few of these guys to still be there, and I would fully expect the Isles to be a contender for any one of them at that point in time.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
OlTimeHockey

And we will forever wonder if Murray waiting for a counterproposal of 75% would have solved that quagmire.....or if Wang guaranteed no tax money would be used in the referendum would have made a difference. I can thank Wang for screwing those two up.

The big picture is not the team, the sport or the logo.....the loss of revenue in Nassau is going to mount and grow and hurt local businesses and thus residents when taxes go up.

So as much as I hate Wang (and I can list everything and most would agree), I deplore the County government.

And yes, I do not hate Murray for doing her job. The LHP was going to raise taxes and she was never consulted before the County launched the proposal (build it BIG!!!) like she should have been for proper zoning.

Nassau is in for a world of hurt.

But the team is still in NY (as Bettman said it always would be since it is an historic franchise and not to be moved).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Wang is by no means perfect and has his shortcomings. But he did right by the fans to keep the local and in NY. For anyone who questions the move to Brooklyn, ask yourself this; How would you have felt if the team let all together?

Ask Atlanta fans or Winnipeg fans (the first time) how they felt when they lost their teams. Its crappy and deflating. At least we still have our team.

Thank you Wang for keeping our Islanders alive! Now (in 2-3 years) is the time to put up and shut up and put a great product on the ice. No excuses now.

10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I am just glad he stuck it to Nassau. I used to be very against moving the club into the city but after offering to use his own money, after trying to work something out only to have that pile of special interests that control Nassau planning shoot the thing down, after all the one sided hit pieces from Newsday (anyone catch the latest ones about Nassau doing just fine without the club?) I am really pleased he was able to tell the county to go suck it.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:25 PM
NYRKING30

Congratulations guys, I am glad you guys get to stay in the area and now will have the proper amenities to attract star players in the future that will have impacts on your squad. To me the Rangers-Isles rivalry is almost like reborn considering the Rangers are cup contenders and the Isles should have been a sleeper playoff contender this season but certainly will be in the years to come. I never understood why Wang got a bad rap as an owner when the guy has done nothing to keep the team in LI after losing 20 mill a year. Kudos to him, and shame on Nassau. i think the only bad impact is the fans that are located in the suffolk/riverhead/hampton area as it will be just a further trek. Man you guys are some patient people, to all the diehards who have stuck by thick and thin with your tem, give yourself a pat on the back. A true fan.

But, sadly Potvin still sucks hahaha.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:43 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
Congratulations guys, I am glad you guys get to stay in the area and now will have the proper amenities to attract star players in the future that will have impacts on your squad. To me the Rangers-Isles rivalry is almost like reborn considering the Rangers are cup contenders and the Isles should have been a sleeper playoff contender this season but certainly will be in the years to come. I never understood why Wang got a bad rap as an owner when the guy has done nothing to keep the team in LI after losing 20 mill a year. Kudos to him, and shame on Nassau. i think the only bad impact is the fans that are located in the suffolk/riverhead/hampton area as it will be just a further trek. Man you guys are some patient people, to all the diehards who have stuck by thick and thin with your tem, give yourself a pat on the back. A true fan.
Thanks. Appreciate the kind words from a Ranger fan (!?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
But, sadly Potvin still sucks hahaha.
The last time your team pissed off a hockey team in Brooklyn, they cursed the Rangers for 54 years Cupless years!

KevFu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:08 AM
GusTheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Thank you Charles Wang for......................um....................... ...hold on something will come.............................................. ................................

Thank you for holding me and my team hostage while you engineered, what i am sure for you, is one big money grab.

Thank you for not willing to work with Nassu County and the TOH to make your LHP become a reality. As much as you say they did not want to work with you, truth was they said you could have what you wanted but just a bit smaller and you didn't like that, threw a tantrum, took your ball and went home to sulk.

Thank you for turning this once proud franchise into a laughing stock that will continue once people understand that their new home wasn't built for your sport. BTW, page one of "Hockey for Dummies".

And finally thank you for ailenating a good portion of your fan base and basically kicking them to the curb.
Not willing to work with Nassau County & the TOH? This has been going on since 2003. For anyone to say that he wasn't willing to work with them, is just wrong.

A bit smaller? What qualifies as a bit here? Who are you to say a bit? He wanted to fund his arena privately, but no it was too big. It's easy to talk **** when its not you losing millions every year.

Turning a once proud franchise into a laughing stock? Sorry pal, Islanders were a laughing stock before Charles Wang. If anything he brought the Islanders back to respectability with the trades for Yashin and Peca. Despise popular belief on these boards, Yashin was essentially a PPG player for the Islanders in the clutch and grab era. He may not have been the best player for us, but he did produce. The Islanders were a game away from going to the 2nd round that first year. If they had 3 more points they would've had home ice in the first round and very likely would've won the series. They went on to make the playoffs 3 of the next 4 years. They were knocked out in the first round, but they were there, a playoff team none the less. The Islanders were a formidable opponent from 2000-2006/7.

The huge contracts they have to Yashin and DiPietro... Guess what, they actually revolutionized the way business is done in the NHL. Look at how many LENGTHY contracts are being given in the NHL. Everyone makes fun of the Islanders because they were the first ones, and because the guy they gave it to turned out to be the most fragile person in history. All the teams have given out huge contracts, and it doesn't work out for a lot of them, the Isles catch flack because, well they're the Isles.

You can't make everyone happy! Nassau wasn't ever going to happen. They've been trying to make it work since 2003, it'd be stupid and crippling to continue to try. By moving to Brooklyn they've given the team stability. Sorry to Suffolk (I'm from Suffolk) but at the end of the day, if this team starts winning, people will come from wherever they live to watch them play.

You absolutely, under zero circumstance say "Well we can't alienate our current Suffolk fan base, so lets continue to try something here in Nassau." It just doesn't make sense. The move to Brooklyn opens up the possibility for more fans, not shut the door on them.

Not everyone has the luxury of having their home team be just an hour drive. There are in fact people who have to drive more then an 1-2 hours IN STATE to watch their team play.

People will get over it. If the team starts winning, they will get over it sooner rather then later.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:37 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
And we will forever wonder if Murray waiting for a counterproposal of 75% would have solved that quagmire.....or if Wang guaranteed no tax money would be used in the referendum would have made a difference. I can thank Wang for screwing those two up.

The big picture is not the team, the sport or the logo.....the loss of revenue in Nassau is going to mount and grow and hurt local businesses and thus residents when taxes go up.

So as much as I hate Wang (and I can list everything and most would agree), I deplore the County government.

And yes, I do not hate Murray for doing her job. The LHP was going to raise taxes and she was never consulted before the County launched the proposal (build it BIG!!!) like she should have been for proper zoning.

Nassau is in for a world of hurt.

But the team is still in NY (as Bettman said it always would be since it is an historic franchise and not to be moved).
I feel really bad for the bar and restaurants that will lose money and possibly go out of business because of this.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

I'll say thanks to Charles Wang, for sure. He could have sold the team to someone moving them out the NY area. They said he did indeed turn down several lucrative offers to buy the team before getting this Barclays deal done. Hats off to Charles for keeping the Islanders in NY.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Bert Marshall days

Here's a real quick cool video of Wednesday's events with all the powers that be and sort of a tribute to Mr. Wang -

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644164

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:20 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-Many people who work in the city (and live in Suffolk) can go to games.
Im in a weird position on this one.. I work in brooklyn (flat bush), live in eastern suffolk. And Ive had season tickets myself for a decade, followed by my father who's had season tickets since the mid 70's. Unfortunately after 14/15 I wont be renewing. Im grateful my team stays in NY, but I wont be able to attend games in brooklyn outside of a handful of weekend games each season.

I go to work at 4am to avoid sitting in 2.5-3 hours of traffic each way.

Public transportation isnt completely out of the question, but with the costs it wouldnt make sense (unless if I was employeed by the LIRR and could ride for free).

So sadly, ill be hanging up my season tickets. But like I said.. Im just glad they get to stay on the island.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
palffysabotka
Rookie User

I still think he should implement his sumo wrestler idea over keeping Ricky D on the roster

palffysabotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by palffysabotka View Post
I still think he should implement his sumo wrestler idea over keeping Ricky D on the roster
He could also stuff Ricky with deep fried twinkies and turn him into the sumo wrestler sized goalie of his dreams.

Regarding the thread's topic though, I will thank Chuck when he lets Garth hire real free agents or make a move involving adding big salary for real veteran talent. Moving the club to a shiny new arena that makes him more dough is great, for Chuck, but doesn't do anything for the actual players or fans without the investment being realized in the roster.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote