Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Old
10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
For someone in the demographic they hope to appeal toward (young adult). I simply cannot get into Baseball. The game is incredibly slow paced and low tempo, with frequent lulls of near inactivity. In fact, I often joke watching the five minute long highlight reel on TSN equates to just about everything exciting in the game. Granted, that is obviously an exaggeration, to a certain extent anyway, but ultimately how I feel about the game.

I, by no means claim my opinion as objective fact. This is pure conjuncture, although I suspect more people within my age group tend to feel the same given these statistics.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
The problem with baseball is that only about 12 teams can actually compete, those with the bucks, smaller market teams with little cash are just league members but have no hope of winning a World Series title. How many times have the Yankee's been in the post season?

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 500
I bet that worst rating is better than the best rating the NHL has ever experienced in the States.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Deuce Awesome

Loved ball in the early nineties when the Jays were perennial contenders. After the strike, I just never got back into it.

For the reasons posted above, I just find it too slow, uneventful.

Ive tried since, and just can't get back into it.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I bet that worst rating is better than the best rating the NHL has ever experienced in the States.

Oh probably some crappy college something team has better ratings as well. Doesn't mean anything whatsoever.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
The problem with baseball is that only about 12 teams can actually compete, those with the bucks, smaller market teams with little cash are just league members but have no hope of winning a World Series title. How many times have the Yankee's been in the post season?
And Fehr want's to remove the cap.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Obviously. Dude, regular season WNBA games get better ratings than SCF game 7s. Hot dog eating competitions regularly get better ratings than the NHL can ever hope to get.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Game two had very similar ratings to other years...

12.3 million viewers is not bad.

Last years Stanley Cup finals could barely put together more than 2 million viewers.

Hockey still has ways to go until they're even comparable to baseball.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
World Series viewership continues its downward trend. This year's Game 1 is the lowest rated Game 1 ever, and fourth lowest rated game ever.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sport...rouble-2012-10
That whole ignoring the 2009 world series thing is stupid. Its pretty obvious the spikes are years in which the Yankees or Red Sox play for the world series.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Baseball, more so than any other sport imho, is one where people usually watch their team and then tune out whenever they're eliminated. Hockey, basketball, and especially football all probably have broader cross-sections of fans of their team and fans of their sport than baseball, which always seems to me are more aligned by fans of individual teams and not for the overall passion of the sport.

At least, that's my general impression of the overall fanbase. And I'll be quick to admit that I don't watch much non-Cubs baseball on TV, even when they're usually sitting at home in October and the playoffs are going on.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Mighty stupid to compare just the first game of the Wold Series. Viewership of a single non-championship-deciding game can vary wildly depending on the day of the week it falls on, what shows it's up against, the teams, involved, and a host of other factors. If I'm a baseball fan (and not a fan of either team watching), I'm willing to miss game 1 if my favourite show is on. But if it's a deciding game, then I'm more inclined to watch the game.

I'd take average number of viewers across the entire series much more seriously than just the first game.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:01 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Obviously. Dude, regular season WNBA games get better ratings than SCF game 7s. Hot dog eating competitions regularly get better ratings than the NHL can ever hope to get.
Funny guy.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
scotchex

Some context. Recent ratings for major sporting events in the US. A rating point is % of US TV households -- there's about 114M. These are the most recent years. I've gathered these from various sources so it's always possible I made a mistake in compiling the data. I'd note that last year's Stanley Cup final rating was sharply down from recent years - 5 yr avg is 2.7.

The data is all 2012 data except where noted.

Super Bowl: 47.0
BCS Championship Game (college football): 14.0
NCAA Basketball Tournament Final: 12.3
NBA Finals (series avg): 10.1
World Series (2011 series avg): 10.0
Kentucky Derby: 9.0
World Cup Final (2010): 8.1
Daytona 500 (NASCAR): 8.0
The Masters (Golf, Sunday): 8.0
MLB All-Star Game: 6.8
US Open (Golf, Sunday): 6.0
NBA All-Star Game: 4.4
Indy 500: 4.3
NLCS (series avg): 4.0
ALCS (series avg): 3.8
Wimbledon Men's Final: 2.5
UEFA 2012 Final: 2.4
NHL Winter Classic: 2.1
Wimbledon Women's Final: 2.0
Stanley Cup (series avg): 1.8
UEFA Champion's League Final : 1.1
NHL All-Star Game: 1.0
MLS Cup (2011 soccer final): 0.6

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
ThisYearsModel

Hockey is going the same way as football and baseball. All 3 now have far too many commercial breaks and are harder and harder to watch. Of the 3, hockey is still the best But the intermissions get longer every year and, soon enough, they will lengthen the stoppages just like baseball did between innings, where they added 36 minutes to each game for more commercials. For football, a commercial after the extra point, then kickoff, commercial, then back to the action. Football games used to be over in 2 3/4 to 3 hours. Now they take 30 minutes longer. That is why I like soccer. No dopey stoppages.

When they first began the 5 seconds for face offs, NHL games were taking 2:20. The NHL has reclaimed a bunch of that time for commercials now, and the average game time is closer to 3 hours.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

We tend to forget about this with other sports, but like the Stanley Cup final it's always market dependent. There's not a lot of interest in Detroit and San Francisco nationally and the games are all at 5 pm local time in California severely limiting local viewership on the West Coast.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Hockey is going the same way as football and baseball. All 3 now have far too many commercial breaks and are harder and harder to watch. Of the 3, hockey is still the best But the intermissions get longer every year and, soon enough, they will lengthen the stoppages just like baseball did between innings, where they added 36 minutes to each game for more commercials. For football, a commercial after the extra point, then kickoff, commercial, then back to the action. Football games used to be over in 2 3/4 to 3 hours. Now they take 30 minutes longer. That is why I like soccer. No dopey stoppages.
Eh let's be honest.

The NHL has a LONG LONG ways to go, to match the NFL when it comes to unneccessarry stoppages for commercial time.

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
For someone in the demographic they hope to appeal toward (young adult). I simply cannot get into Baseball. The game is incredibly slow paced and low tempo, with frequent lulls of near inactivity. In fact, I often joke watching the five minute long highlight reel on TSN equates to just about everything exciting in the game. Granted, that is obviously an exaggeration, to a certain extent anyway, but ultimately how I feel about the game.

I, by no means claim my opinion as objective fact. This is pure conjuncture, although I suspect more people within my age group tend to feel the same given these statistics.
I like baseball - but the games can be way too long. Last Jays game I went to my friend and I finally left at the beginning of the 8th b/c the team was losing and game was dragging. We left, got a cab, sat in gridlock for a while and when I got home to my place in midtown I turned on the t.v. and the game was still on!

The good thing about hockey is if you watch a game, from start to end (incl. t.v. breaks and intermissions) you're looking at about 3 hrs - and when the game is being played it's got constant action.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Chiuozu*

I'm in there demographic (24) but I'd watch Baseball over Football or Basketball..

But then, I'd watch pretty much anything over those two.

Chiuozu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:40 PM
moans

The world series needs big market teams to bring in the viewers.

moans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
World Cup Final (2010): 8.1
That's misleading..the game was on two channels simultaneously and had 24 million combined viewers (not cume which was much higher).
BTW, couple of EPL numbers are missing from the list. The league doesn't have a standalone championship game (because they award the title to the team with the best regular season record) but couple of the late-season games on network TV had good enough ratings to be on that list. Same goes for the Liga MX (Chivas-America rivalry for example) and few other soccer events that's missing from the list.

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:50 PM
scotchex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
That's misleading..the game was on two channels simultaneously and had 24 million combined viewers (not cume which was much higher).
BTW, couple of EPL numbers are missing from the list. The league doesn't have a standalone championship game (because they award the title to the team with the best regular season record) but couple of the late-season games on network TV had good enough ratings to be on that list. Same goes for the Liga MX (Chivas-America rivalry for example) and few other soccer events that's missing from the list.
Whatever, dude. I didn't compile a list of every sporting event in the world. You got some #s? Add them. Nothing is "missing" cause it's not a comprehensive list. If you have some actual data then post it instead of just whining.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:51 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
While the Giants are popular in the bay area, it's a west coast team, thus anyone in the east simply does not care/watch.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:53 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I think after 162 games almost every day and possibly playoff games some fans just get burned out and stop watching.
I think this is it. Doesn't make you a fan boy. I'm locked into the baseball playoffs during the week, but there are only 20 NFL Sundays. I've seen plenty of baseball during the year and there are less chances to watch the NFL during the year.

That's just my opinion on it. But I like both sports, just football more.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Whatever, dude. I didn't compile a list of every sporting event in the world. You got some #s? Add them. Nothing is "missing" cause it's not a comprehensive list. If you have some actual data then post it instead of just whining.
Just pointing it out so that people aren't misled. It's usually the soccer numbers that are often under-reported (and not reported) in many of the forums to give the impression of soccer being less popular than it is (I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose here though). That also later leads to comments like the one above "looks like X network is overpaying for soccer". Also, the raw ratings themselves don't tell the whole story. Key demos are very important to the networks and advertisers. If that number keeps decreasing for baseball they'll eventually be in trouble.

Last edited by Rocket: 10-27-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:09 PM
scotchex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Just pointing it out so that people aren't mislead. It's usually the soccer numbers that are often under-reported (and not reported) in many of the forums to give the impression of soccer being less popular than it is (I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose here though). That also later leads to comments like the one above "looks like X network is overpaying for soccer".
Do you have any actual data? Do you have anything useful to add? Nobody is trying to mislead anybody. And nobody is being informed by what you're saying -- because you aren't saying anything. You're just whining. If you have some data then post the data. If the data I posted is incorrect then find better data and post that.

I'm not trying to argue anything about any sport's popularity. I was just trying to find some objective data and share it cause I thought people mind find that useful. If you have any data I'd love to see it.