HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

The 2013 draft: Because what else are we going to talk about?

Old
10-10-2012, 03:11 PM
RJQuack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
He caught my eye in the one 'Q' game I've seen this year. My attention went from O'Brien straight to Carrier for the remainder of the game.
Yup, he's fun to watch and a game changer... Not so much fun when he could end the game every time he enters the offensive zone in Halifax, but still a good player

Another player who I saw lots of last season was Adam Erne. He has a similar build to Carrier, (6'0 200lbs.) and was close to a PPG player last season. Great skater for his size imo, and will be a 1st rounder who projects to be a good power forward, IMO. I wouldn't object that selection if the Ducks took him

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:19 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
So many different options. It's too far away now.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:07 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
So many different options. It's too far away now.
I'm bored. Miswell bring this up. Carrier had a monster night with 1 goal and 3 assists. T-4th in league scoring. Lost to the expansion team though lol. But he does carry this team.

Hope the Duckies are watching him

Old
10-17-2012, 11:41 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I'm bored. Miswell bring this up. Carrier had a monster night with 1 goal and 3 assists. T-4th in league scoring. Lost to the expansion team though lol. But he does carry this team.

Hope the Duckies are watching him
And he's still not getting top 30 consideration. Ridiculous.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
There are guys outside of the top 30 every year that racked up points in their respective leagues. The rankings aren't a leaderboard of current performances. If that were the case, guys like Jones wouldn't be in consideration. Players are ranked based on where they see them ending up. I haven't seen enough of Carrier to know why he isn't ranking as highly as some of his peers, but I'm sure they have their reasons for putting him where they are, right or wrong.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:45 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Seems a bit weird. Scouts are making their home in Halifax this season, you'd think they would make the 5 hour drive to CB to watch another great player... Erne, duclair, Gauthier are all getting consideration, and don't get me wrong they are great players, but throw Carrier a bone lol.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:46 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
There are guys outside of the top 30 every year that racked up points in their respective leagues. The rankings aren't a leaderboard of current performances. If that were the case, guys like Jones wouldn't be in consideration. Players are ranked based on where they see them ending up. I haven't seen enough of Carrier to know why he isn't ranking as highly as some of his peers, but I'm sure they have their reasons for putting him where they are, right or wrong.
His game and size is similar to Erne and Gauthier (fellow Q players) and he's put up more points. Thus making me scratch my head a bit...

Can't go on for long though, I see him as a 1st rounder when it's all said and done if he keeps progressing.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Your boys had a good night tonight.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:46 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I'm done trying to predict, or get my hopes up for who we pick. we'll probably pick some swede we never heard about we'll hate the pick and then the pick will look good over time

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:56 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I'm done trying to predict, or get my hopes up for who we pick. we'll probably pick some swede we never heard about we'll hate the pick and then the pick will look good over time
The only Swede I can see us taking in the first round that fits that description is Jacob De La Rose. De La Rose in my opinion is overrated as a first rounder. Wasn't impressed with him when I saw him play for Sweden at the WJC U-18. Could easily see him slipping to the second round. Bukarovsky or Elias Lindholm would be dynamite picks if we were to continue the trend of Swedish first rounders.

Regardless, I don't really think this is a year where we have to PREDICT who we get. This group is so strong, we can just look at the group as a whole and know which of the many talented players we were lucky enough to get. Doubt we're a playoff contender if the season starts late, so it's safe to expect a top 15 pick and right now a top 15 of Mack, Jones, Drouin, Monahan, Barkov, Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Domi, Lazar, Burakovsky, Duclair, Ristolainen, Erne, Haag, Morrissey looks pretty awesome...and there's still talent left over and who knows who will be a riser.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Corey Perry*

OT but, who are the top guys for the 2014 draft class? The only one that comes to mind is Ho-Sang.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Exit Dose

I'm not sure, but one of the top California kids in that draft is Chase De Leo, from La Mirada. There's also Thatcher Demko, a top goalie for the USNDTP out of San Diego.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:55 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

From an European perspective there are a few key differences separating the 2013 draft from the preceding one.

Tthe top picks F. Forsberg and H. Lindholm were playing in Allsvenskan. Neither put up any astonishing offensive numbers (although Lindholm of course is a D).

This year Elias Lindholm has 10 points in 15 games in SEL. Sasha Barkov in FEL has 17 points in 14 games.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:39 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
OT but, who are the top guys for the 2014 draft class? The only one that comes to mind is Ho-Sang.
Sam Reinhart
Aaron Ekblad
Jake Virtanen
Patrick Koys
Nick Ritchie

All I've got.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Sam Reinhart
Aaron Ekblad
Jake Virtanen
Patrick Koys
Nick Ritchie

All I've got.
Those guys and McKeown, DeAngelo. Excited to see that Koys is coming to the Q. Top Q pick Daniel Audette is available, and #1 Euro pick this season Ivan Barbeshev (Moncton) are on the radar.

Sounds like Ekblad/Reinhart could be a watered down Jones/MacKinnon?

Old
10-20-2012, 01:34 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Your boys had a good night tonight.
Are you talking about the Mooseheads? Yes, MacKinnon played well, but we were playing the worst team in the league and won by a goal lol

Old
10-27-2012, 08:10 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

I know this draft is stacked with centers but I sure wouldn't mind getting Jonathan Drouin.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
AngelDuck

I'm hoping we get a top 10 pick. A top 10 pick means we'll probably get a very good center prospect that can potentially fill our need at 2C.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:33 PM
AngelDuck

Also, I wasn't a huge hockey fan during the last lockout like I am now. So how does the draft order work for the first round? Do they just use the same order as this year or do they have a new lottery?

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:35 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
I know this draft is stacked with centers but I sure wouldn't mind getting Jonathan Drouin.
Thought the roof might come down tonight. Unreal performance. He could play center in the NHL, but hasn't played much in junior.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Exit Dose

Old
11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Exit Dose

Old
11-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Also, I wasn't a huge hockey fan during the last lockout like I am now. So how does the draft order work for the first round? Do they just use the same order as this year or do they have a new lottery?
If the entire season were lost, they'd do a new lottery. The NHL would be insane to just do another entire draft based on last season's standings. The teams that picked high were already given assets based on their standings.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:06 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Just to provide more gory details, what the NHL did was have a full lottery to determine draft order.

The normal draft lottery only has one ball drawn (only non-playoff teams get balls). The winner moves up 4 spots.

In the lockout lottery, all 30 teams had balls. First ball drawn gets the #1 pick, second ball gets #2, etc. Every team started with three balls, and each team loses a ball (to a minimum of 1 ball) if they either a) got a 1st overall pick in the past 3 seasons or b) made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons. The draft was then snaked, such that the last team in the first round gets the first pick in even rounds and last pick in odd rounds.

In the 2005 draft we had 2 balls (made the playoffs in 2003), yet managed to get the #2 pick. There were a number of teams who had 3 balls. So you can say we beat the odds.

I like the framework of the 2005 lottery, but I think there should be a finer gradations. There were only 3 tiers of teams (3 balls, 2 balls, 1 ball). Make it say 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 balls (preserve the ratio of max to min). Or like 9, 7, 5, 3 balls.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Exit Dose

The 2012 Subway series between Russia and the CHL is being shown on NHL Network. The first game is happening right now.