HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 01:51 PM
blitzkriegs

vCash: 500
A good read on a similar situation that happened to the Caps - arena relocation and shifting of the teams fanbase.

http://dc.sbnation.com/2012/10/25/35...verizon-center

The blue-collar tinge that had been part of the Caps base was reduced in the move, while a more corporate and well-heeled fan base began to develop.

Eventually, the transformation firmly took hold, while the Capitals lost some fans who didn't want to make trips to Verizon Center, they picked up others who preferred the Metro-accessible location. Instead of the larger concentration of localized fans, the central location helped open up the team to some of the city's wealthier western suburbs of Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax and Loudoun Counties.

The move also helped build the team's corporate base, as eventually the Chinatown neighborhood developed around the arena and made it a much more attractive entertainment option for business. Instead of having to hop in a car for an hour trip to Landover, it became a lot more attractive for corporate ticket-holders to take their clients to dinner and a game in Chinatown.

For the Islanders, you can probably expect a similar transformation,

Old
10-27-2012, 01:53 PM
CREW99AW

Isles are already taking deposits for the 1st season at Barclay's. Wang and Snow will want a playoff team to take into Barclays, so I expect Wang to open his wallet in the next 1-2 seasons for 1-2 big additions.

Hopefully, the isles move to Brooklyn and Wang's willingness to spend, will make the isles more appealing to the 2013 ufas. If not, I'd expect the isles to go the trade route.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-ufas-of-2013/

Old
10-27-2012, 02:08 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles are already taking deposits for the 1st season at Barclay's. Wang and Snow will want a playoff team to take into Barclays, so I expect Wang to open his wallet in the next 1-2 seasons for 1-2 big additions.

Hopefully, the isles move to Brooklyn and Wang's willingness to spend, will make the isles more appealing to the 2013 ufas. If not, I'd expect the isles to go the trade route.

I don't think out of the gate players are gonna jump to the Isles b/c of the BC thing. Isles will have to still demonstrate a willingness to win/spend. Moreover, they will have to sell a clear logistics scenario to the player(s) on the living situation and practice facilities.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
As a Brooklynite I agree. No one here associates themself with LI. But then again, Utah Jazz??? LA Dodgers??? LA Lakers??? I'm sure there's other examples. They survived & even thrived.

You're right about altering the current logo to include BK & Queens. That will definitely have to happen.

I think it's going to take a little bit longer than 5 years, but I agree that eventually the team name will change. Might not be for another 15 years, but I do think it will happen. My vote, as always is for NY or Brooklyn Knights. I love that name for a sports team.
Not a relocation, but while you're mentioning team names that make no geographic/cultural sense in an area --- umm, NY Rangers?!

Old
10-27-2012, 02:26 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
I don't think out of the gate players are gonna jump to the Isles b/c of the BC thing. Isles will have to still demonstrate a willingness to win/spend. Moreover, they will have to sell a clear logistics scenario to the player(s) on the living situation and practice facilities.
Wang said on wfan that they will continue to practice out of Iceworks, which he owns.

As for where the players will live... I would think the isles would continue to show off the nicest parts of Nassau, but now include parts of NYC too.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:18 PM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
The Pens had an easier time pulling in UFAs once the arena deal was settled, as long as the Isles can complete in the next season the team plays, UFAs should be easier to sign. If this season comes to fruition, the Isles may follow the Pens path and have a winning season prior to the move to the new building. Doubtful, but you never know.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Daaaarryyl

[QUOTE]=Isle Junkie;55320995] My vote, as always is for NY or Brooklyn Knights. I love that name for a sports team.

I want to keep Islanders and the logo (and especialy the history) but wow, Brooklyn Knights!! Whoa. In my honest opinion that could be HUGE, like not only in Brooklyn and New York but huge altogether.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Isles Junkie

[QUOTE=Daaaarryyl;55325969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
My vote, as always is for NY or Brooklyn Knights. I love that name for a sports team.

I want to keep Islanders and the logo (and especialy the history) but wow, Brooklyn Knights!! Whoa. In my honest opinion that could be HUGE, like not only in Brooklyn and New York but huge altogether.
My HS team was the Golden Knights, and while that's pretty cool too, I like Knights better. Plus they can play off of Brooklyn/NY Nighttime in their promos some way. Spend your Nights with the Brooklyn Knights...or something like that.

Old
10-27-2012, 05:54 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
So after existing in Brooklyn for 5 years as the New York Islanders, they are THEN going to change the name and the colors? Where's the logic in this? If they were gonna do that they would do it for 2015 so they can have a fresh start in a new arena and area and 2+ years of publicity to get the public excited about it

I think it's a given that we have a new Brooklyn themed 3rd jersey with the possibility of alt colors for 2015 though.

Look, we don't know what the move will mean for the Isles in the long run. It's all speculation. But at the moment, it certainly has more upside than floundering in Nassau for the rest of the team's existence. Amazing how fans complain of being kicked around, disrespected, and being called irrelevant for years, and then when the team takes a step towards credibility, they cry like children that 'their" team is gone. To me it's kinda proof that Nassau doesn't deserve the franchise anymore. It's exactly this mentality that killed off the Lighthouse and caused the referendum to fail.
to me, the logic is that they dont want to upset the fan base right now...the people most likely to trek to brooklyn to see the games are the traditional islander fans....over time, the people of brooklyn may adopt the team...currently they are mostly ranger fans or hipsters...but thats another story....

as time goes on...the team will lose its LONG ISLAND identity...or at least it will be morphed with a brooklyn-ite identity...so i do see a vamping of the team to incorporate its actual physical location AND an increase in attendance from locals....

to know that this team could have thrived on long island, as long islands team....and have them in brooklyn because of inept politicians is, and will forever be, a huge burr in my saddle. im glad they arent moving to kansas...but i know many people ive spoken to about this who are upset by the move (NONE BLAME WANG).

As for the rest of your commentary, i hope you arent talking about me...although since this was in response to something I wrote, i think it might be. Regardless, I have said repeatedly that I do not blame wang for what he did, and I probably would have done the same thing....and that this move lies directly on the feet of the politicos in nassau......

but if you dont think a move to brooklyn changes anything....that it doesnt change the identity of the franchise, you are being myopic. These will be the Brooklyn Islanders. the name brooklyn is cache. being brooklyns team is a world renouned thing. brooklyn has been voted the coolest place to live. and thats all great and junk, but the ISLANDERS...as we know them....will be altered....dont stick your head in the sand. its a CLEAR business decision to adopt brooklyn over the traditional "islander" theme....and in time, the logo, the name, and the identity will reflect that. bookmark it and lets review it at the end of the decade.

And yes, I can walk and chew gum at the same time....i am HAPPY this team is not leaving....but i am dismayed that this was the path of salvation....

Old
10-27-2012, 05:57 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

They should do this earlier, why not till 2015? Nassau is a crappy building and Barclays is new and ready to go, but the only thing I hate about Barclays, is its going to be the wackiest arena in the NHL.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
I want to keep Islanders and the logo (and especially the history) but wow, Brooklyn Knights!! Whoa. In my honest opinion that could be HUGE, like not only in Brooklyn and New York but huge altogether.
With all due respect

What a half assed name for a team.
Brooklyn Knights sounds like the old sneaker company British Knights.
I hope Wang owns the team for a long time so it stays the Islanders.

This idea that people in Brooklyn are not willing to accept that they also live on Long Island (because they live in the city) blows the mind. It doesn't matter if the majority of people don't look at themselves as living on Long Island, because they actually do. It doesn't mean that they think they're right, sometimes the majority is wrong. (I have an Aunt that has almost always lived in Brooklyn-except for a decade of living in Suffolk) and she doesnt see Brooklyn as a part of Long Island. She is wrong. They are Islanders even if a vocal minority here that live in Brooklyn hate Nassau and Suffolk (hey its not like I love Nassau either) The name The Islanders should not be tampered with.

The history of the cups goes away with a name change. Do you think that if Isles would want to alienate fans? I know to some of you the fans in Nassau and Suffolk dont matter anymore to you. I do matter. Name change would be the dumbest move. Why would you ruin years of history (41 years soon, 43-44 years by the move, and maybe a team that is 50 years old 5 years into the lease) by changing the name. This is not the Washington Bullets in the NBA that changed the name because of violent gun crime and the connection with the team(year after year of gun violence in DC) to make it PC.

With all due respect, the history is more important than a few opinions that it has to conform to what they want.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:45 PM
periferal

Name change!?!?!?

The NEW YORK Giants play in NEW JERSEY.

The NEW YORK Islanders will be playing in Brooklyn, NEW YORK which is on Long ISLAND.

Add in the wonderful history that is ISLANDERS franchise has and we're talking about a potential name change?!?!?! How insane is this?

I want to go see the Ranger/Islanders rivalry continue...Not the Rangers/Knights rival-Whatever.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

The NEW YORK Islanders will be playing in Brooklyn, NEW YORK which is on Long ISLAND.

Add in the wonderful history that is ISLANDERS franchise has and we're talking about a potential name change?!?!?! How insane is this?

I want to go see the Ranger/Islanders rivalry continue...Not the Rangers/Knights rival-Whatever.
...what?

Brooklyn is part of the Island. There is literally no reason to change the name, what don't people get

Old
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
original islander

Quote:

Thank you. I live in New Jersey and I can assure you that no real Giants fan calls them the Jersey Giants and they are supported enthusiastically.

There is no reason to change the name, logo or history of the New York Islanders.

I also think that the loyal Long Island fans including the booster club should be thanked for their support as they went to the games whether the team won or lost. The numbers weren't sufficient on LI but the people that went to the games have the right to complain and should be showed compassion.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:15 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

2 prospects and/or 1st round Picks for Bobby Ryan...

If ANA extends Getz and Perry than mayby they would be willing to part with Ryan...

Thats the kind of splash I would love....Very unlikley though, but just imagine Tavares and Ryan....

Old
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
to me, the logic is that they dont want to upset the fan base right now...the people most likely to trek to brooklyn to see the games are the traditional islander fans....over time, the people of brooklyn may adopt the team...currently they are mostly ranger fans or hipsters...but thats another story....

as time goes on...the team will lose its LONG ISLAND identity...or at least it will be morphed with a brooklyn-ite identity...so i do see a vamping of the team to incorporate its actual physical location AND an increase in attendance from locals....

to know that this team could have thrived on long island, as long islands team....and have them in brooklyn because of inept politicians is, and will forever be, a huge burr in my saddle. im glad they arent moving to kansas...but i know many people ive spoken to about this who are upset by the move (NONE BLAME WANG).

As for the rest of your commentary, i hope you arent talking about me...although since this was in response to something I wrote, i think it might be. Regardless, I have said repeatedly that I do not blame wang for what he did, and I probably would have done the same thing....and that this move lies directly on the feet of the politicos in nassau......

but if you dont think a move to brooklyn changes anything....that it doesnt change the identity of the franchise, you are being myopic. These will be the Brooklyn Islanders. the name brooklyn is cache. being brooklyns team is a world renouned thing. brooklyn has been voted the coolest place to live. and thats all great and junk, but the ISLANDERS...as we know them....will be altered....dont stick your head in the sand. its a CLEAR business decision to adopt brooklyn over the traditional "islander" theme....and in time, the logo, the name, and the identity will reflect that. bookmark it and lets review it at the end of the decade.

And yes, I can walk and chew gum at the same time....i am HAPPY this team is not leaving....but i am dismayed that this was the path of salvation....
No the 2nd part of my post was not directed at you. It was directed over those lamenting losing "their" team, while they forget that "the" team is staying in the market for the next 28 years.

And yes, over time the team will lose its Long Island identity. It will take on a broader New York identity that includes Long Island. But I don't think that a name change is necessary for this to happen, nor do I think it will be in the cards 5 years down the line. After all, what's in a name, especially when you've had it for what will be 43 years by the time of the move?

Old
10-27-2012, 07:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post

I don't see Wang trying to erase the NYI history or dismissing the NYI fans on LI because the isles are suddenly Brooklyn bound. I think Wang wants both his old NYI tix buyers and the new tix buyers in Brooklyn, supporting the team after the Brooklyn move.

I don't see the isles move as a relocation in the typical sense. This isn't the Thrashers who never sniffed a cup, moving to Winnepeg. This is more along the lines of the LA Kings moving from their LA suburb, to downtown LA.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
2 prospects and/or 1st round Picks for Bobby Ryan...

If ANA extends Getz and Perry than mayby they would be willing to part with Ryan...

Thats the kind of splash I would love....Very unlikley though, but just imagine Tavares and Ryan....
I would not want the 2013 first traded, until after seeing where the NYI were drafting.

Even then, I'd rather have Wang and Snow try the ufa market first.
It would help Snow's selling point, if Wang was able to reach an agreement with Nassau County and get out of the arena early, get the isles into Brooklyn earlier then 2015.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:

Exactly!! The Battle of Long Island was found in Queens and BROOKLYN. Go to the Brooklyn Promenade and you can see a giant plaque dedicated to the house where George Washington and his men were giving orders to his troops.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:01 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Exactly!! The Battle of Long Island was found in Queens and BROOKLYN. Go to the Brooklyn Promenade and you can see a giant plaque dedicated to the house where George Washington and his men were giving orders to his troops.
And a majority of native NYers who do not live in Manhattan, refer to a trip to Manhattan as "going into the city".

I've lived in Queens my whole life and that's the way I refer to it.

When I go into Nassau County, I'm going "out to the Island".

Brooklyn and Queens may be on the same rock as Nassau and Suffolk, but they are not commonly refered to as Long Island.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
And a majority of native NYers who do not live in Manhattan, refer to a trip to Manhattan as "going into the city".

I've lived in Queens my whole life and that's the way I refer to it.

When I go into Nassau County, I'm going "out to the Island".

Brooklyn and Queens may be on the same rock as Nassau and Suffolk, but they are not commonly refered to as Long Island.
Who cares?

Seriously, all this is true, but why the hell would anyone change the historic name of a 40 year old sports franchise over silly semantics of a 22 mile geographical radius.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander102 View Post
who cares?

Seriously, all this is true, but why the hell would anyone change the historic name of a 40 year old sports franchise over silly semantics of a 22 mile geographical radius.
thank you!!

Old
10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Who cares?

I agree. But I've run into several people who say "hey, they're still technically on Long Island".

Maybe so, but its a reach.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Islander102

Quote:
I agree. But I've run into several people who say "hey, they're still technically on Long Island".

It isn't a reach because sports teams do not represent only the lone county that they play in. The Islanders play on Long Island, and a whopping THIRTY MINUTES from what is politically known as Long Island. There is no reason they can't have a name that reflects that.

One of the biggest detriments to the Islanders franchise as a brand, since it's inception was the idea (that is not shared by ANY other team in pro sports except maybe the GB Packers) that the team only represents the immediate area it plays in. The Rangers had no problem representing Long Island, as well as NYC, NYS, NJ, and CT, but the Islanders and their fans had the idea that the team can only matter to the people within a half hour of the arena. And gee, look, we're broke. It's time for the team to get away from that mentality and join the rest of pro sports where the teams represent the entire region in which they play.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Pnut

Quote:

Its not a reach when it is true. Being physically on Long Island is what Brooklyn and Queens are. B&Q can also be a part of the city too! They can be both. Just because you feel more tied to your city does not negate the fact you still live on the actual physical island (and always have). This is not a US vs THEM thing. You are no more (or less) special than people out in the 'burbs (Although as an Isles fan it automatically makes you smarter than most in Garden City (?) )

Closed Thread