HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Stuff on the Rag's board is great!
"They can't move there! Its the city!"
"They can't be the Islanders anymore. They are in the city"
"That's Rangers territory! They need to pay a encroachment fee!"

Old
10-27-2012, 09:15 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
It isn't a reach because sports teams do not represent only the lone county that they play in. The Islanders play on Long Island, and a whopping THIRTY MINUTES from what is politically known as Long Island. There is no reason they can't have a name that reflects that.

One of the biggest detriments to the Islanders franchise as a brand, since it's inception was the idea (that is not shared by ANY other team in pro sports except maybe the GB Packers) that the team only represents the immediate area it plays in. The Rangers had no problem representing Long Island, as well as NYC, NYS, NJ, and CT, but the Islanders and their fans had the idea that the team can only matter to the people within a half hour of the arena. And gee, look, we're broke. It's time for the team to get away from that mentality and join the rest of pro sports where the teams represent the entire region in which they play.
The Rangers represented a region they had to themselves for over 50 years until the Isles came into existence. The majority of other teams in pro sports had their markets cornered. No other competition.

The Isles also seemed to be content to not look to market themselves much west of the city line. Except for a few player appearances at a bank in Hollis in the mid -1970's I can't remember the Islanders ever having a marketing campaign that appeared in anything other than Newsday. Seems to me they only courted the fans in the county they played in and Suffolk County. It wasn't a detirment in the late '70s for the Isles to be thought of as the Island's team. And as a NYC resident it didn't bother me in the least.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:19 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Its not a reach when it is true. Being physically on Long Island is what Brooklyn and Queens are. B&Q can also be a part of the city too! They can be both. Just because you feel more tied to your city does not negate the fact you still live on the actual physical island (and always have). This is not a US vs THEM thing. You are no more (or less) special than people out in the 'burbs (Although as an Isles fan it automatically makes you smarter than most in Garden City (?) )
It may be true, but take a walk down Flatbush Avenue one day and point out to some people that they are on Long Island where they stand.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Ever since Ratner started his public pitch for the Isles, some Ranger fans have had their panties in a twist.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Some of the discussion makes me chuckle. We got some hair splitting going on.

IF there is a tweak to the jersey it should only be to add Queens and Brooklyn. Period. End of story. Otherwise leave it alone. You damn well know there will be a 3rd jersey as well. What that is remains to be seen.

For those who advocate moving now, not going to happen unless a developer or Wang want to pony up some serious dough to break the lease. Nassau is feeling like a women scorned. They are not going to make it cheap or easy for him to leave.

Also for those who keep complain Queens and Brooklyn are not a part of Long Island, please go sit in an elementary school geography class.

For those who voted NO on 8/1 and to those who stopped any forward progress I hope you enjoy your tax bill in 2015-2016. I can't wait to see how much it goes up.

10-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
I know, it's pathetic

Old
10-27-2012, 11:39 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
They should do this earlier, why not till 2015? Nassau is a crappy building and Barclays is new and ready to go, but the only thing I hate about Barclays, is its going to be the wackiest arena in the NHL.
Barclays isn't ready to go. They have the build an NHL-sufficient locker room, and make a lot of infrastructure upgrades. "a hockey campus" is how they worded it.

Quote:
And we did! In 1972. The Rangers already agreed to this: a 1986 modification to territory agreement gave us the right to move to Brooklyn or Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
You damn well know there will be a 3rd jersey as well.
That's inevitable. I think a shoulder patch is coming with it.

Last edited by KevFu: 10-27-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 01:31 AM
malPHONEY

I can't find any Brooklyner that denies they are on an island.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

They moved. Change the name. Hell, make them the Knights because it's a cool name. And lose the banners.....get rid of all that old garbage. Why not have a dispersal, too? Islander players.....they won't be on an Island, so let's build through a draft lottery? It'll be cool. All New! The Brooklyn Knights, no more Isles, Tavares can go to the Blue Jackets, we can get all new in new jerseys. It'll be cool. New jerseys and logos and buttons, too. Socks, even.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 10-28-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 05:30 AM
PJGooch

More fun with semantics...

Forecasts predict 20-foot waves on the south shore of Long Island during Hurricane Sandy. Since Brooklyn and Queens folks don't refer to themselves as Long Island, are those waves going to disappear if they flow west of Atlantic Beach? All clear in Sheepshead Bay!

Also, Coney Island hasn't been an island since the 1930s. Brooklyn residents don't seem to have a problem with it.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:41 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I agree. But I've run into several people who say "hey, they're still technically on Long Island".

Maybe so, but its a reach.

Both the New York Jets and Giants moved from New York to play in New Jersey. Both kept NEW YORK in their names despite it being factually wrong and no one is saying a thing about it.

I think the Islanders can move from New York to New York, while factually staying on Long Island, and manage to keep their exact same name (which comes with a ton of valuable history) without anyone outside of these boards making an issue of it.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:44 AM
periferal

Quote:

For those who voted NO on 8/1 and to those who stopped any forward progress I hope you enjoy your tax bill in 2015-2016. I can't wait to see how much it goes up.

Amen. I'd really like to get a list of all the people who voted no back in 2011, including the politicians who organized opposition, and interview them now...

....then slap them upside the head regardless of their answer.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:45 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
More fun with semantics...

Forecasts predict 20-foot waves on the south shore of Long Island during Hurricane Sandy. Since Brooklyn and Queens folks don't refer to themselves as Long Island, are those waves going to disappear if they flow west of Atlantic Beach? All clear in Sheepshead Bay!

Also, Coney Island hasn't been an island since the 1930s. Brooklyn residents don't seem to have a problem with it.

Wow. Genius sighting on the Islander boards!

Old
10-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Some of the discussion makes me chuckle. We got some hair splitting going on.

IF there is a tweak to the jersey it should only be to add Queens and Brooklyn. Period. End of story. Otherwise leave it alone. You damn well know there will be a 3rd jersey as well. What that is remains to be seen.

For those who advocate moving now, not going to happen unless a developer or Wang want to pony up some serious dough to break the lease. Nassau is feeling like a women scorned. They are not going to make it cheap or easy for him to leave.

Also for those who keep complain Queens and Brooklyn are not a part of Long Island, please go sit in an elementary school geography class.

Agree with all of this.... they should make a "Brooklyn Islanders" 3rd Jersey though, and put some serious thought into it so people won't be embarrassed wearing it.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:52 AM
NYIschremp44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Agree with all of this.... they should make a "Brooklyn Islanders" 3rd Jersey though, and put some serious thought into it so people won't be embarrassed wearing it.

i really believe this design would satisfy everyone's agenda, it keeps the islanders colours, gives a nod to brooklyn sports history, and has the look that will even sell to non-hockey fan brooklynites. I can actually picture this being worn in rap videos or by some guy hanging out in front of a bodega on Putnam and Knickerbocker.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I was at the Barclays Center Friday night for Sensation. Let me tell you what an absolutely insanely gorgeous arena. The area around the arena is improving, as well.

I did not feel unsafe at any point in time. Everyone around the arena, even native Bklyn'ers were willing to help. Everyone is going to benefit from this move. We hit up a local deli for a delicious sandwhich and then went to Applebees right across the arena.

Inside, it's just a dream. You walk in and everyone greets you like it's a special place to be. It's like a palace. The "courtyard" as I'll call it is so expansive, you can just see Islander fans rallying outside and chanting "Lets Go Islanders" during playoff games.

I couldn't be more excited. From Ronkonkoma - ATL Yards was 1.5 hours. Long, a little. But you can pregame a bit before games. After the games, they'll have plenty of trains to shoot you back home. The train station is literally right there at the arena.

I can't wait.

I'll tell you, I had lost all faith regarding this organization. With the constant hirings of these loser hockey personnel to the arena, I truly did not believe we would have a reprieve. We just did. I'm not sure if Wang will follow up on this and do what's right by hockey fans and spend money and the whole lot, but I'll give him that chance before I give up again. He didn't have to make it this easy for Islander fans. Remember that.

As of right now, we have Capuano coaching the team. That has to change. This loser has to be fired immediately and we need a REAL head coach. Does this happen?

As of right now, we have a backup goalie as GM. Cut the freaking nonsense and fire this god damn bum. We need a real general manager. Will this happen?

As of right now, we have no president of hockey operations! Are you kidding me? Does this change moving forward?

We can't compete in this league and be taken seriously until these three things change. Period.

Last edited by IslesBeBack*: 10-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Two days ago Wang threw out the old line about there being no restrictions on free agent acquisitions leading up to this as if the only reason no one signed here was the arena uncertainty... It is like he forgot his interview where he confessed to "certain economic realities" or something similar. Regardless, the excuse is now gone.

It is put up or shut up time as soon as this year for Chuck. Some of you may be tempted to give him a reprieve until 2015 as his revenue streams will theoretically increase at that time. Don't do it, and for one reason above the rest. The young guys on this club need a better veteran support cast to develop into better veterans by 2015 (and on).

The new lease was a critical move to secure the future and I am not trying to downplay it, but the future also involves developing Tavares, Bailey, Hamonic, Martin, Strome, Okposo, etc. Wang needs to follow through and complete part B of his commitment now that the brakes on his future revenue have been removed.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Two days ago Wang threw out the old line about there being no restrictions on free agent acquisitions leading up to this as if the only reason no one signed here was the arena uncertainty... It is like he forgot his interview where he confessed to "certain economic realities" or something similar. Regardless, the excuse is now gone.

It is put up or shut up time as soon as this year for Chuck. Some of you may be tempted to give him a reprieve until 2015 as his revenue streams will theoretically increase at that time. Don't do it, and for one reason above the rest. The young guys on this club need a better veteran support cast to develop into better veterans by 2015 (and on).

The new lease was a critical move to secure the future and I am not trying to downplay it, but the future also involves developing Tavares, Bailey, Hamonic, Martin, Strome, Okposo, etc. Wang needs to follow through and complete part B of his commitment now that the brakes on his future revenue have been removed.
Exactly. The time for excuses is over. We should expect the Isles to go out and add some salary as soon as this coming offseason as well as finally take care of the Dipietro situation. If this is a new era, it's time to act like it.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

Wang's already taking $200 deposits for season tixs for Barclays. He needs to fill those luxury boxes and premium seats.

I think we are gonna see Wang open his checkbook, like we did when he first bought the isles. His spending bought about a 41 pt turnaround in the standings, along with a playoff spot.

The isles have a more talented group of youngsters now, then they had when Wang greenlighted the moves for Osgood, Peca and Yashin. He has Tavares and Hamonic to build around. But, I expect Snow will bring 1-2 quality, young vets who will still be on the roster in 2015-2016.
Alex Edler ? Clowe? Perry and Getzlaf are both ufas next summer, although some Duck fans sound confident that the low key Perry will sign an extension.Travis Zajac?

Or maybe Snow looks to the trade market, with teams looking to get under the cap.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...1&fa_type_id=2

Old
10-28-2012, 01:38 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang's already taking $200 deposits for season tixs for Barclays. He needs to fill those luxury boxes and premium seats.

I think we are gonna see Wang open his checkbook, like we did when he first bought the isles. His spending bought about a 41 pt turnaround in the standings, along with a playoff spot.

The isles have a more talented group of youngsters now, then they had when Wang greenlighted the moves for Osgood, Peca and Yashin. He has Tavares and Hamonic to build around. But, I expect Snow will bring 1-2 quality, young vets who will still be on the roster in 2015-2016.
Alex Edler ? Clowe? Perry and Getzlaf are both ufas next summer, although some Duck fans sound confident that the low key Perry will sign an extension.Travis Zajac?

Or maybe Snow looks to the trade market, with teams looking to get under the cap.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...1&fa_type_id=2
He has no choice. If he doesn't, fans wil continue to turn away from this mess. I mean look at this team, it's a mess. But is spending enough? What about a real coach Crew? How about a GM? A hockey president?

Truth is, Wang is toxic. I am hoping for the best and do believe he'll spend, but is spending enough? I mean, really, Capuano is the worst coach in the NHL for gods sake lol

Old
10-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/l...fans-1.4160658

Long Island Rail Road officials are confident that fans will take the train to follow the New York Islanders when the team moves to Brooklyn, and say the agency will be ready to serve them.

The LIRR has been making major investments in its Brooklyn line for years, partly in anticipation of the boost in ridership that would come with the opening of the Barclays Center, just across the street from the railroad's Atlantic Terminal.

In the few weeks since the opening of the arena, which was built on former LIRR property, officials said ridership to Brooklyn on event nights is up 260 percent. With no parking at the arena, located about 30 miles from the Nassau Coliseum, the LIRR is an attractive option, railroad president Helena Williams said.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
He has no choice. If he doesn't, fans wil continue to turn away from this mess. I mean look at this team, it's a mess. But is spending enough? What about a real coach Crew? How about a GM? A hockey president?

Truth is, Wang is toxic. I am hoping for the best and do believe he'll spend, but is spending enough? I mean, really, Capuano is the worst coach in the NHL for gods sake lol
I agree with you about Cappy. I think this is the final season on his contract.I'd love to see him replaced.

I don't see Wang firing Snow. Snow's done a good job on contracts and put together a strong prospect pool. We can make the complaint that Snow's too conservative with trades, but I would think Wang will give him time, to make some moves with the higher payroll.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I agree with you about Cappy. I think this is the final season on his contract.I'd love to see him replaced.

I don't see Wang firing Snow. Snow's done a good job on contracts and put together a strong prospect pool. We can make the complaint that Snow's too conservative with trades, but I would think Wang will give him time, to make some moves with the higher payroll.
Conversely, if the team gets help and does well, Cappy stays. I liked our game under him and fear the next "great idea" to come out (run and gun, left wing lock, hard forecheck, who knows what they might think up?).

If the Isles can play the Isles V Pens game on fight night under Cappy more often, I'll sign Cappy to a three year extension! But.....if we can improve and land a big time coach and not some AHL fodder......

Personally, I'd like to see Cappy last a year and move to Thompson if he shines on the bench for us. I like his attitude and the BST style. (yes, AHL fodder as well, but this is the Isles, even in Starbucks country)

Old
10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Conversely, if the team gets help and does well, Cappy stays. I liked our game under him and fear the next "great idea" to come out (run and gun, left wing lock, hard forecheck, who knows what they might think up?).

If the Isles can play the Isles V Pens game on fight night under Cappy more often, I'll sign Cappy to a three year extension! But.....if we can improve and land a big time coach and not some AHL fodder......

Personally, I'd like to see Cappy last a year and move to Thompson if he shines on the bench for us. I like his attitude and the BST style. (yes, AHL fodder as well, but this is the Isles, even in Starbucks country)
OTH...despite disagreeing with alot of your quotes...I still thoroughly enjoy reading them.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

With Weight and Thompson looking over Cappy's shoulder, I had expected this to be his last season behind the NYI bench. I thought he avoided the chopping block at the end of last season because the isles, didn't want to pay both him and his replacement in 2012-2013.

Now we have Wang telling the press in recent interviews, that if we get a season this yr, the isles will make the playoffs. That's a pretty bold statement since we have not had the revamped D play 1 game together and lost a 60+ winger.

Closed Thread