HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Would a Quintuple-Double in Basketball be the greatest single achievement in sport?

Old
10-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Would a Quintuple-Double in Basketball be the greatest single achievement in sport?

Pretty straight forward, it's never been done, the closest was Olajuwon in 1987 with a 38/17/6/12/7 game.

I honestly can't think of any other one off achivement in sport that would even come close. Even a perfect game in baseball would pale in comparison I think.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Pretty straight forward, it's never been done, the closest was Olajuwon in 1987 with a 38/17/6/12/7 game.

I honestly can't think of any other one off achivement in sport that would even come close. Even a perfect game in baseball would pale in comparison I think.
holy crap

Vasilevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 675
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
It would certainly be an amazing accomplishment, you will struggle to get any consensus on a "single greatest sporting achievement" though, everyone has leans to sports they follow, you'll have some probably come in here and scoff at the suggestion simply because it's Basketball.

Is it greater than Hillary and Tenzing being the first to climb Everest? is it greater than Tendulkar's one day double hundred or Lara's 400 not out? Mosienko 3 goals in 21 seconds? there's all sorts of ones you could throw out there. I believe you have to consider the context as well, if LeBron went out and put a 5x10 on the Bobcats in a regular season game, is that a better achievement than if he put up a 4x10 in a playoff game?

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:09 AM
darko

I remember Kirilenko flirting with it too.

14/8/9/6/7

Was too young to remember Hakeem come close.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
It would certainly be an amazing accomplishment, you will struggle to get any consensus on a "single greatest sporting achievement" though, everyone has leans to sports they follow, you'll have some probably come in here and scoff at the suggestion simply because it's Basketball.

Is it greater than Hillary and Tenzing being the first to climb Everest? is it greater than Tendulkar's one day double hundred or Lara's 400 not out? Mosienko 3 goals in 21 seconds? there's all sorts of ones you could throw out there. I believe you have to consider the context as well, if LeBron went out and put a 5x10 on the Bobcats in a regular season game, is that a better achievement than if he put up a 4x10 in a playoff game?
I know, I was just trying to find the right words and maybe came off a bit wrong lol. There are so many incredible things that happen in sports, that to narrow it down to just one would probably be immpossible. Just in this particular sports fan's mind (and I like and follow a lot of them) I can't think of anything that would come close, though, like you say, context is important. A quadruple double in the playoffs would probably be up there.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
A perfect game in the World Series would probably be my pick. But that said, a quintuple-double is prettymuch as close as you'll find to that next "unbreakable" mark. Whoever does it at the pro or even major NCAA conference level will surely go down as a legend in basketball, to put it lightly, regardless of who it is.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
A perfect game in the World Series would probably be my pick. But that said, a quintuple-double is prettymuch as close as you'll find to that next "unbreakable" mark. Whoever does it at the pro or even major NCAA conference level will surely go down as a legend in basketball, to put it lightly, regardless of who it is.
Already been done. so has 10 points in an NHL game, a 20/20/20 game has also been done in basket ball and we seem to average 3 perfect games a season in MLB recently. David Lee had a 30/20/10 game a year or two ago as well.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
I have no idea what this means thus what it implies...can someone explain it to me?

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

I dont follow basketball much at all, but I believe it means points/blocks/assists/steals/rebounds. I dont know the order they go though, other than points would be first. And it would be a great accomplishment. If anyone playing today has a chance I would guess Lebron but I dont follow enough basketball to make a real informed choice.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Alklha

Quote:

Pretty sure that was a multiple overtime game from Olajuwon as well.

It wouldn't be the greatest single achievement for a lot of reasons though. Maybe an NHL player absolutely dominates one night and puts up 12 points... is that not as good because we don't tally other stats as much? You can't really go across sports with these type of things.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
I dont follow basketball much at all, but I believe it means points/blocks/assists/steals/rebounds. I dont know the order they go though, other than points would be first. And it would be a great accomplishment. If anyone playing today has a chance I would guess Lebron but I dont follow enough basketball to make a real informed choice.
ok, so the impressiveness would be to get double digits for all 5 categories? ...

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
I have no idea what this means thus what it implies...can someone explain it to me?
Basically double-digit values in 4 of 5(?) major basketball stats. So 10 points/10 assists/10 rebounds/10 blocks/5 steals.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 675
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Basically double-digit values in 4 of 5(?) major basketball stats. So 10 points/10 assists/10 rebounds/10 blocks/5 steals.
A "quintuple-double" would be double digits in all 5 categories, 10 points/10 assists/10 rebounds/10 blocks/10 steals.

4/5 would be a quadruple-double which has been done I think only 4 times.

It's conceivable though that some of the older guys could have put up more quadruple-doubles or even possibly a quintuple-double but the NBA didn't track steals and blocks until some time in the 70s.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Anybody ever do this in college ball?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Anybody ever do this in college ball?
There are only two known quintuple-doubles, both at the girls' high-school level. The first was recorded by Tamika Catchings of Duncanville High School (Duncanville, Texas) with 25 points, 18 rebounds, 11 assists, 10 steals and 10 blocks in 1997. The second was by Aimee Oertner of Northern Lehigh High School (Slatington, Pennsylvania), who had 26 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals, and 11 blocks on January 7, 2012.

Trap Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

I think a 5 home run game in 9 innings would be harder. I still maintain that Tatis' 2 grand slams in a single inning is harder too, even though it has been done.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:12 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
I'd say Rajon Rondo would be the one who could be the closest. He could do it all except for the blocks. and would probably be short of steals considering how tough it is to get more than 5.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think a 5 home run game in 9 innings would be harder. I still maintain that Tatis' 2 grand slams in a single inning is harder too, even though it has been done.
I'd agree with having a 5 home run game.

As for Tatís, I think there is too much dependance on team-mates getting on base for it to really count in this thread. But whenever there is talk of the most unbreakable records, that is always the first things that comes to my mind.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'd agree with having a 5 home run game.

As for Tatís, I think there is too much dependance on team-mates getting on base for it to really count in this thread. But whenever there is talk of the most unbreakable records, that is always the first things that comes to my mind.
I think that the dependence on teammates is what makes it so hard. To even come up twice in one inning is so ridiculously improbable but to go deep both times? That's the icing on the cake

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

All of those are incredible records, the thing I guess tho is that an NBA game is 48 min (NCAA is 40) so to even have a 10/10/10/10/10 game would invlove doing something positive MORE than once a minute, never mind five COMPLETLEY different things

Old
10-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Trap Jesus

I think it's a ridiculous notion to even consider.

There are 7 players and 14 individual games (Kirilenko and Olajuwon account for 9 of the 14) where a player has recorded 5 or more in all 5 stats since 1985, one single game where a player (Kirilenko) has recorded 6 or more in all categories, and no games where a player has recorded 7 or more in all categories. There has also been 1 player in the last 11 seasons that has recorded 10 or more steals (Brandon Roy in '09, which he complemented with 2 blocks).

As for individual players mentioned, James' career high in blocks is 5 and his career high in steals is 7. Rondo's career high in steals is 8 and blocks is 3.

Last edited by Trap Jesus: 10-28-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Trap Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote