HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 09:36 PM
puckaddict17

vCash: 500
Names to watch for in the SCTA's after watching 7-10 of their first games coming up the the 1/4 mark of the regular season:

Oakville
Spencer
Mackenzie
Henley
Capobianco

Brampton
Blacker
Mariani
Smith
Hill

Halton
Mcniven
Kreis (F)
Procopio
Klack
Rapp

Hamilton
McConnell
Templeton

STA
Davies
Marino
Baird
Walters

Grey Bruce
Mcfadden

Guelph
Poliziani

Burlington
Rollo
Court

Old
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
They lost Connor Schlichting as well to York Simcoe. Kyle Capobianco and Schlichting were probably the 2 best bantam Dmen they had last year. Both were called up to play MM last year. Its nice to see other teams shine. Ken Strong was a pretty big reason that players wanted to play with the MM marlboros team as well.
The player that will suffer the most is Josh Defarias. To play 4 D is tough and Defarias' strength is his ability to rush the puck will be limited considering the minutes he is expected to play.
They have added a new D White #10 who will time some time, but will be affective. Team also lacks Depth up front. Strome and Stephens counted on to contribute most of the points. Difficult at this age without support.
Dont see any championships for the team this year. Goaltending big improvement from last year.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
The player that will suffer the most is Josh Defarias. To play 4 D is tough and Defarias' strength is his ability to rush the puck will be limited considering the minutes he is expected to play.
They have added a new D White #10 who will time some time, but will be affective. Team also lacks Depth up front. Strome and Stephens counted on to contribute most of the points. Difficult at this age without support.
Dont see any championships for the team this year. Goaltending big improvement from last year.
Where did White come from?

Old
10-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Johnny Lesser
Rookie User

after big loss to oakville express seemed to rebound pretty well with 3 straight wins including a 10-0 win over oakville. ETA favourites IMO

Old
10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
checkmate3

There is no 10-0 loss for Oakville. The Rangers played York Simcoe this past Saturday and beat them 9-0. Little confused as to which team you are referring too.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:13 PM
checkmate3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
There is no 10-0 loss for Oakville. The Rangers played York Simcoe this past Saturday and beat them 9-0. Little confused as to which team you are referring too.
Found out - the 10-0 win for Express was against Peterborough Petes!

Old
10-26-2012, 10:34 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Where did White come from?
AA apparently he excels at another sport and time was an issue. Good pick up by what I seen in London

Old
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Johnny Lesser
Rookie User

totally meant the express beat peterborough 10-0 and lost to oakville, they have seemed to regain some poise with 3 straight wins now. I like there team and i like there chances this season!

Old
10-27-2012, 08:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Does anyone here have an update on Nikita Korostelev? He injured himself on October 23rd, looked like his wrist could have been broken. IF anyone is going to Chesswood on Sunday it would be awesome if someone could post if he was playing. He was leading the GTHL in points before he went down. 11 games 22 points (12 goals)

Old
10-27-2012, 10:05 PM
checkmate3

Quote:
Does anyone here have an update on Nikita Korostelev? He injured himself on October 23rd, looked like his wrist could have been broken. IF anyone is going to Chesswood on Sunday it would be awesome if someone could post if he was playing. He was leading the GTHL in points before he went down. 11 games 22 points (12 goals)
Yes, wrist is broken. According to some of the boys, it looks to be pretty bad.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

looks like he'll be gone 3 months

Old
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Yes, wrist is broken. According to some of the boys, it looks to be pretty bad.
I was at the game, it looked bad immediately. The second it happened he tore off his gloves and rushed to the bench. He was in some serious pain.

Too bad, he's got a lot of talent. Incredible shot, and a broken wrist isn't going to help that.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
I was at the game, it looked bad immediately. The second it happened he tore off his gloves and rushed to the bench. He was in some serious pain.

Too bad, he's got a lot of talent. Incredible shot, and a broken wrist isn't going to help that.
He scored a sweet one timer in that game. He should be back in 6 weeks. The question is, is it displaced or not. That will be key for his comeback. If its displaced he will need surgery and more time. Korostelev says he patterns his game after Ovechkin. I can see those similarities. Especially when he plays physical and hits people. He probably has the hardest wrist shot in the GTHL, not alot of accuracy quite yet. Korostelev could play in the OHL right now and fit in.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
wings5

No one has a scouting report on Yan?

Old
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
OHL27

how does davies from STA look so far? any predictions what round this kid goes

Old
10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHL27 View Post
how does davies from STA look so far? any predictions what round this kid goes

He has grown alot. Great skater also plays with a physical edge. Crafty stick handler and can controll the play when the pucks on his stick. Most likely a top 3 round pick

Old
10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Arsenault

Given the depth of the 96 crop of propects and how few of them have really been able to step up and contribute at the OHL level you would think someone would smarten up and push back the draft to major midget. Sure we have a dozen or so 96 stepping right in but they are the exception and could be handles acordingly even if the draft was pushed to Major Midget with each team being allowed 1-2 underage as draft picks. A quick look at Junior A, Junior B and Major Midget where most of these kids end up will attest to the fact that many kids drafted in mid to late rounds have developed better even over the summer than many early round picks sent back home after their OHL camp.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Crottenham

Not going to happen as has been stated previously, 18 year old NHL draft dictates all....too bad as I agree with you completely.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Given the depth of the 96 crop of propects and how few of them have really been able to step up and contribute at the OHL level you would think someone would smarten up and push back the draft to major midget. Sure we have a dozen or so 96 stepping right in but they are the exception and could be handles acordingly even if the draft was pushed to Major Midget with each team being allowed 1-2 underage as draft picks. A quick look at Junior A, Junior B and Major Midget where most of these kids end up will attest to the fact that many kids drafted in mid to late rounds have developed better even over the summer than many early round picks sent back home after their OHL camp.
Does anyone know the year they went to having Minor Midget and Major Midget? When I played we only had one Midget AAA that had two birth years combined, and the OHL Draft you could only select underage players (Major Bantam's) in the first 3 rounds. I stopped paying attention for a decent number of years, so was just wondering when they made the change. Thanks.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Daneurism

Seems like quite a few of the 2012 ohl draft class are doing fine. McDavid, Ho Sang, Clarke, McCann, Watson, Dal Colle, Salituro, McKeown, Bourne.

Also, seems a bit early to comment on their performance when they're still in the process of making the junior adjustment.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Daneurism

Seems like quite a few of the 2012 ohl draft class are doing fine. McDavid, Ho Sang, Clarke, McCann, Watson, Dal Colle, Salituro, McKeown, Bourne.

Also, seems a bit early to comment on their performance when they're still in the process of making the junior adjustment.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post

Great point. Most of those players are from the GTHL. 2 from the London Knights Gold(Clarke is the exception. The GTHL was the highest skilled league for minor midgets last year without question. To me it was a huge risk to evaluate Eric Cornel against those other top guys when Cornels competition would have made him appear better than he really was. Same with Niki Petti. For those 2 guys the OHL is a bigger jump in skill level than the other minor midgets who faced top competition all year.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Great point. Most of those players are from the GTHL. 2 from the London Knights Gold(Clarke is the exception. The GTHL was the highest skilled league for minor midgets last year without question. To me it was a huge risk to evaluate Eric Cornel against those other top guys when Cornels competition would have made him appear better than he really was. Same with Niki Petti. For those 2 guys the OHL is a bigger jump in skill level than the other minor midgets who faced top competition all year.
I would suggest also that no other league than the GTHL has the nightly "pressure" to win. Every game is intense, particulalrly the playoffs.

Even when good teams play weaker teams there is an internal pressure to get the two points. Some kids wilt at this pressure but those that can endure it and in fact excel in the face of it, find the transition to major junior easier.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I would suggest also that no other league than the GTHL has the nightly "pressure" to win. Every game is intense, particulalrly the playoffs.

Even when good teams play weaker teams there is an internal pressure to get the two points. Some kids wilt at this pressure but those that can endure it and in fact excel in the face of it, find the transition to major junior easier.
I would have to disagree with this point. I think every league has that instinctive pressure, from the bottom to the top teams. This is certainly not solely on the GTHL, especially when it is a single conference league. League's such as the Alliance, where there are cross over games between conferences can actually help develop the kids between to the two-conference system found in the OHL, where those interlock points mean a lot. I just don't think we can say that there is a higher nightly pressure in any league, as the majority of these kids all have a very similar internal drive and team atmosphere.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
I would have to disagree with this point. I think every league has that instinctive pressure, from the bottom to the top teams. This is certainly not solely on the GTHL, especially when it is a single conference league. League's such as the Alliance, where there are cross over games between conferences can actually help develop the kids between to the two-conference system found in the OHL, where those interlock points mean a lot. I just don't think we can say that there is a higher nightly pressure in any league, as the majority of these kids all have a very similar internal drive and team atmosphere.
To clarify my point was specific to the fact my son has played in both the GTHL and OMHA and specifically the pressure I referred to was from parents and team administrators in the GTHL. Given that league has always been very much a recruiting league, each player learns very quickly if you don't produce you'll need to find a new team by December (not so in the OMHA and Alliance for the most part given restrictive rules around transfers)! Further, within the game if you don't produce you'll be sitting.

Based on our own expereince and knowing families in both leagues, the game environment wasn't even close in the OMHA (although for my kid it was the preferred route)......given the pressure to win in the OHL it seems to me the environment in the GTHL most closely matches the OHL. Just my two cents and observations....

Closed Thread