HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schneider to Edmonton

Old
10-27-2012, 06:50 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
When he proves himself as the starter then I am sure we will start talking about him in those terms. Until then.....
Agreed.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Then why reply in the first place.
To temper canuck fans expectations of getting some elite return for him from the oilers perspective. Id take him on my team but i wouldnt trade away important pieces to get him

edit: the post above says it perfectly, he has to prove himself which is what I said a page or two ago

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Any trade would start with one of the big four and even then some posters would want more for corey

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
To temper canuck fans expectations of getting some elite return for him from the oilers perspective. Id take him on my team but i wouldnt trade away important pieces to get him

edit: the post above says it perfectly, he has to prove himself which is what I said a page or two ago
Pretty simple: The Oilers would need to overpay or they are not getting one of the best young goalies in the game. Goalies like Schneider aren't put up for trade very often for a very good reason. They are hard to find and they take a while to develop.

Last edited by vanwest: 10-27-2012 at 09:30 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Any trade would start with one of the big four and even then some posters would want more for corey
I don't think a single Canucks fan has asked for one of the big 4 + for Cory. I think everyone knows we'd have to add.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Schultz would the fifth guy of the core group, yeah.

For Luongo I'd be open to Hemsky or MPS + a 1st (2013 or 2014 *but* it would be the Oilers choice) only with the pre-condition that his family (ahem wife) is OK with a harder brand of Canadian winter, lol.

Not all Oiler fans will agree with me on this though. I think he will end up in Toronto when all's said and done.

If there is a god I hope we do not pay what I think we will for him.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If you want to maintain that Cory Schneider is on par with Jonathan Quick, I encourage you to post a poll on the main board to see what the wider world thinks of your opinion.
You can think whatever you want of Schneider - the on ice results show he's been every bit the goaltender Quick has. Schneider just happens to play on a team with one of the best goaltenders of our generation that is 1 year removed from a Vezina nomination. Stark contrast from Jonathan Quick's situation.

Schneider has been an elite netminder at every level he's played at, the NHL included. I have no reservations about moving Luongo and letting this guy run with the starting job. That should tell you something considering Roberto Luongo is the best goaltender in the Canucks 41 year history and has backstoped the team to a cup finals appearance and back to back Presidents trophies.

Never mind the fact Quick plays in a much much more conservative defensive system and faces fewer quality chances against on a nightly basis. The Canucks play a run and gun style with probably the most active defense in the NHL. Schneider's numbers in this environment are off the charts...

Don't hold your breathe if you're waiting for this guy to crumble with a larger workload.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:07 PM
OilGuns

You should wait until Schneider plays the full season before you say he's as good as Quick.

OilGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:36 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGuns View Post
You should wait until Schneider plays the full season before you say he's as good as Quick.
I suppose we should wait until Yakupov plays in the NHL to say he is worthy of inclusion in a Schneider trade.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I suppose we should wait until Yakupov plays in the NHL to say he is worthy of inclusion in a Schneider trade.
Queue the list of recent first overall picks. Yakupov has more value, but one of the big 4 would still have to be involved for us to move Schneider, which just isn't happening

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:23 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Pretty simple: The Oilers would need to overpay or they are not getting one of the best young goalies in the game. Goalies like Schneider aren't put up for trade very often for a very good reason. They are hard to find and they take a while to develop.
Schneider is 26yo now, i wonder at what age he wont be qualified as young anymore.

I dont remember anyone saying Elliot was a young goalie last season, and Elliot was 26yo.

Fall 2011, Marc André Fleury was 26yo, with 6 season experience as a starter and 436 NHL games played experience (including the playoff) people was referring to him as a veteran goalie, not a young goalie.

maybe "young" have something to do with experience more than with age!

Last edited by palindrom: 10-28-2012 at 04:43 AM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:25 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
If Yakupov is on the table, i gladly offer Carey Price+ for him!

Old
10-28-2012, 04:27 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You can think whatever you want of Schneider - the on ice results show he's been every bit the goaltender Quick has. Schneider just happens to play on a team with one of the best goaltenders of our generation that is 1 year removed from a Vezina nomination. Stark contrast from Jonathan Quick's situation.

Schneider has been an elite netminder at every level he's played at, the NHL included. I have no reservations about moving Luongo and letting this guy run with the starting job. That should tell you something considering Roberto Luongo is the best goaltender in the Canucks 41 year history and has backstoped the team to a cup finals appearance and back to back Presidents trophies.

Never mind the fact Quick plays in a much much more conservative defensive system and faces fewer quality chances against on a nightly basis. The Canucks play a run and gun style with probably the most active defense in the NHL. Schneider's numbers in this environment are off the charts...

Don't hold your breathe if you're waiting for this guy to crumble with a larger workload.
If Schneider is as good as quick, then why he didnt make a difference and allow Vancouver to overcome LA in the playoff.

Are you saying Vancouver upfront was a inferior team to LA ?

Old
10-28-2012, 04:53 AM
Lacaar

When was the last time a team traded for a goalie for a BIG time offer and had any benifit?

Roy to Colorado?

The goaltending position has been watered down due to coaching systems. They're pretty much interchangeable.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:57 AM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
When was the last time a team traded for a goalie for a BIG time offer and had any benifit?

Roy to Colorado?

The goaltending position has been watered down due to coaching systems. They're pretty much interchangeable.
Just ask the folks in Toronto and Philly.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:05 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

Roy to Colorado?

Roy to Colorado was back in 1995.

In this era the difference of skill between an elite goalie and an average goalie was a lot greater than today and elite goalie did worth every penny.

Nowadays the gap is closer, the average NHL goalie is very good. And having an elite goalie doesn't make as much a difference as we used to see.

This is part of the reason why many of the recent goalie acquisition didnt worth it. Not when there are cheap UFA out there like Smith, Theodore, Elliot, Giguere, Vokoun, Nabokov who can give you a performance not that far from the elite goalie. There was no such thing back in the 80' 90'.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:08 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Just ask the folks in Toronto and Philly.
They will totally agree

the Flyers gave a fortune to Bryzgalov, Toronto traded a good value to get Toskala then Raycroft. They didnt see any benefit.

They would have been better doing nothing and sign cheap UFA goalie.

How worse St-Louis would have been if they didnt trade for Halak, kept Eller and invest the 3 750 000$ saving elsewhere and had a cheap Elliott as starter?

What if Colorado waited before acquiring a Varlamov and gave the starter position to Giguere ? (well, we will see how Filip Forsberg drafted with the pick will turn out!)

Last edited by palindrom: 10-28-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
If Schneider is as good as quick, then why he didnt make a difference and allow Vancouver to overcome LA in the playoff.

Are you saying Vancouver upfront was a inferior team to LA ?
Yes. I think every Canuck fan will admit the Kings were a better team in that series.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

If Edmonton wants Schneider, one of the big four is coming back. Would Edmonton be willing to part with one of the big four, probably not. However that's what it would take to pry Schneider to a divisional rival.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:25 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
Yes. I think every Canuck fan will admit the Kings were a better team in that series.
Sadly, yes
Goaltending was the last of the problems in that series

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:37 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
If Edmonton wants Schneider, one of the big four is coming back. Would Edmonton be willing to part with one of the big four, probably not. However that's what it would take to pry Schneider to a divisional rival.
It goes both way, how much it would take to pry one of the big four to a division rival ? (Plus, i dont think Edmonton is the one making the 'prying' here)

if one of the big four is on the table, Schneider wont be the only goalie available for them to trade for.

As a Montreal fan, i gladly offer Price+ for any of the big four.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Sadly, yes
Goaltending was the last of the problems in that series
Yup, the Canucks were a no-show for the most part, aside from the goaltending. LA flat out out-played us.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
It goes both way, how much it would take to pry one of the big four to a division rival ?

if one of the big four is on the table, Schneider wont be the only goalie available for them to trade for.

I counter offer with Schneider for Price!

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:45 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I counter offer with Schneider for Price!
I love Price, i hate his contract. (under the last CBA at least)

We could reach an agreement, if Schneider was the only option available to trade Price.

But there would be other options around. And i would rather trade Price for defenseman/forward/pick. Since i dont value goalie that much

Old
10-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
It goes both way, how much it would take to pry one of the big four to a division rival ? (Plus, i dont think Edmonton is the one making the 'prying' here)

LOL thanks for stating the obvious. As for Edmonton not doing the "prying" Why not? Aren't they interested in acquiring a goalie?