HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Drouin is amazing. Habs should do anything and everything necessary to draft him, he's just what we need.
I agree. He's our Robert Griffin iii. I'd trade a lot to pick Drouin...a lot.

His hat trick tonight: http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=en...videoID=115364

Last edited by Jabba11: 10-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I agree. He's our Robert Griffin iii. I'd trade a lot to pick Drouin...a lot.
A winger and QB don't exactly have the same effect on a team, I get what you mean but it would take someone really, really ridiculous in hockey to trade a RGIII like package for an individual player.

Drouin has reached Mackinnon and Barkov level "do what you can to get this guy" for me, but moving up without a season this year is going to be near impossible, since any vet who could be a trade piece, whether it be Gionta, Desharnais, Plekanec, Markov, Emelin, whatever, isn't increasing their value.

Depending on what luck gives us it would take Galchenyuk or Subban to move up to the top 5...and that ain't happening.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
A winger and QB don't exactly have the same effect on a team, I get what you mean but it would take someone really, really ridiculous in hockey to trade a RGIII like package for an individual player.

Drouin has reached Mackinnon and Barkov level "do what you can to get this guy" for me, but moving up without a season this year is going to be near impossible, since any vet who could be a trade piece, whether it be Gionta, Desharnais, Plekanec, Markov, Emelin, whatever, isn't increasing their value.

Depending on what luck gives us it would take Galchenyuk or Subban to move up to the top 5...and that ain't happening.
I'd move Subban for a top 3 pick in a package without hesitation. He desperately needs to mature...instead of playing professionnal hockey, the guy rather goes on some CBC show and poses in a couple of spas in quebec and toronto with his "joel" pose that nobody knows what the hell he's doing. I know he's good on the ice..but god he needs to grow up Subban cause he's gonna be a hell of a problem for the team. I don't want to get into a Subban debate, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him in a package to get either MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov or Drouin.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Price and Pacioretty aren't playing pro hockey either right now, might as well try and trade them too.

They are locked out, I personally don't give a damn what they choose to do during this time as long as they don't end up in jail or a hospital.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
That

Drouin is just incredible. We need him on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Maybe he can will drop to Montreal like Collberg did last year.
Oh, I'd love that so much. He's going to be a stud.

Quote:
I'd move Subban for a top 3 pick in a package without hesitation. He desperately needs to mature...instead of playing professionnal hockey, the guy rather goes on some CBC show and poses in a couple of spas in quebec and toronto with his "joel" pose that nobody knows what the hell he's doing. I know he's good on the ice..but god he needs to grow up Subban cause he's gonna be a hell of a problem for the team. I don't want to get into a Subban debate, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him in a package to get either MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov or Drouin.
If we had someone who could replace Subban, maybe the trade would make sense. But we don't. We would get hammered night in and night out. Beaulieu and Tinordi are certainly not ready for NHL and if they were they wouldn't be able to replace Subban's minutes and ability. Even if we trade him to get Jones, it wouldn't be a pretty trade. You simply don't trade away you're #1 defenceman for futures.

Honestly, if we trade him for a high draft pick, I think it pretty much guarantees us a top 5 pick next year. Jones and Ekblad wouldn't be bad though .

Old
10-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I actually agree about Subban, I'm a bit worried about his celebrity (and wtf is the "joel"), but trading Subban at this point means the plan is to suck for at least 2 more years..unless Markov magically returns to prime Markov, we have nobody who can replace Subban right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
If we had someone who could replace Subban, maybe the trade would make sense. But we don't. We would get hammered night in and night out. Beaulieu and Tinordi are certainly not ready for NHL and if they were they wouldn't be able to replace Subban's minutes and ability. Even if we trade him to get Jones, it wouldn't be a pretty trade. You simply don't trade away you're #1 defenceman for futures.

Honestly, if we trade him for a high draft pick, I think it pretty much guarantees us a top 5 pick next year. Jones and Ekblad wouldn't be bad though .
Yeah, our top 2 right now would be downright brutal, in fact take away Subban and I'd say the only team in the NHL with worse defensive corp going into next season is the Islanders, and Beaulieu and Tinordi are longshots to be as good as Subban.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Disagree. As much as I love prospects, you don't trade established, homegrown young stars like Subban for unproven prospects. Take the best D available for example, Jones... We can't even know if he'll ever reach Subban's current level at any point in his career. Last time a defenseman was touted to be a surefire superstar, it didn't turn out all that well (Erik Johnson).

I really like Drouin, and I would try as much as I can to improve our pick if it can allow us to draft him... But if improving our pick involves trading a guy like Subban, no way.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:33 PM
S Bah

Has Drouin gained the status of Rocket Richard,Jean Beliveau,Gilbert Perreault,Guy Lafleur,Mike Bossy or Mario Lemieux overnight.He's a great prospect as is Carrier or Mantha and a few others that we would love to be Habs.Johnathan is my favorite pick also even if the Habs pick 1st overall,but then Bergevin & Co. will have a dilemma on their hands.A nice decision to have to make,maybe move down with Columbus and get Drouin & Carrier or Mantha.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Willy Palov ‏@CH_WillyPalov
There are also a ton of scouts here tonight, including Trevor Timmins and two others from Habs staff. Drouin/MacKinnon putting on a show.

Honestly, discussing trade scenarios is really hard for me without knowing what range our picks will be in. It's just a whole lot of speculation right now.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Disagree. As much as I love prospects, you don't trade established, homegrown young stars like Subban for unproven prospects. Take the best D available for example, Jones... We can't even know if he'll ever reach Subban's current level at any point in his career. Last time a defenseman was touted to be a surefire superstar, it didn't turn out all that well (Erik Johnson).

I really like Drouin, and I would try as much as I can to improve our pick if it can allow us to draft him... But if improving our pick involves trading a guy like Subban, no way.
I disagree with this line of thinking. The reason you trade Subban is because you'd rather have other players in your dressing room or you want to take the team in a different direction. We'll get fair value for him and we'll have to deal with the fact we won't be that good of a team without him in the short term.

My feeling is if we trade him it will be to Toronto for Rielly + Kulemin for Subban + Bourque or someone else. Burke loves truculence and he isn't afraid to wheel and deal.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:12 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I disagree with this line of thinking. The reason you trade Subban is because you'd rather have other players in your dressing room or you want to take the team in a different direction. We'll get fair value for him and we'll have to deal with the fact we won't be that good of a team without him in the short term.

My feeling is if we trade him it will be to Toronto for Rielly + Kulemin for Subban + Bourque or someone else. Burke loves truculence and he isn't afraid to wheel and deal.
Trading Subban like that would signify the start of a rebuild from the ground floor and would shock Hab fans and the rest of the NHL I'm sure.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:33 PM
That

Shinkaruk had a 4 point night. That gives him 9 points in the past 2 games

Old
10-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Et le But

Quote:

If you trade Subban it most likely means you are committed to suck for another year or so; I'm not a believer in long term tanking but trading Subban means at least one more year of hardcore suck before you put yourself back together. Subban is far from untouchable but he's the only complete defender this team has that isn't either on the decline or worse (Markov) or is still an unknown quality who probably isn't anything special (Emelin, maybe Diaz). Beaulieu still could be as good as Subban someday but it's impossible to project a trajectory similar to PK's.

Now a Reilly+ trade could be temping with the right pieces but that's not happening since I don't think even Burke is blind enough to not see Reilly's potential.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:10 AM
bsl

Quote:

FFS. Subban traded within our division to a hated rival, where he kills us the next 8 years. For unproven players. What a brilliant post.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Trading Subban like that would signify the start of a rebuild from the ground floor and would shock Hab fans and the rest of the NHL I'm sure.
It would shock Subban fans and Subban but from around the league not that much.

I don't care whether we trade him or not, if management feels we're better off if we trade him that's fine with me - as long as we get quality back in trade.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
FFS. Subban traded within our division to a hated rival, where he kills us the next 8 years. For unproven players. What a brilliant post.
Boston traded their best young player within their division for unproven players, and how did that work out?

Unfortunately we aren't good enough to make that sort of gamble, since even with Subban we might be even worse than the Leafs.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:29 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Boston traded their best young player within their division for unproven players, and how did that work out?

Unfortunately we aren't good enough to make that sort of gamble, since even with Subban we might be even worse than the Leafs.
In a lockout year,let us say the Habs traded with Columbus for their three 1st round choices in return for Subban.This giving the Habs an extra three chances at the top pick,still doesn't insure a top ten choice,but four 1st round picks.If by real bad luck all four are in the 20-30 range,it would give them seven picks in the top 40.Then Timmins chances of getting a player capable of replacing Subban are very bad indeed IMO.Would that be a bad gamble,the Habs might get four Top Ten picks on the other hand who knows.One thing for sure is the Habs had better be able to sign a good UFA to replace Subban in the meantime or the Habs last season could become a regularity for a few years. Are ya feelin lucky punk?lol.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
In a lockout year,let us say the Habs traded with Columbus for their three 1st round choices in return for Subban.This giving the Habs an extra three chances at the top pick,still doesn't insure a top ten choice,but four 1st round picks.If by real bad luck all four are in the 20-30 range,it would give them seven picks in the top 40.Then Timmins chances of getting a player capable of replacing Subban are very bad indeed IMO.Would that be a bad gamble,the Habs might get four Top Ten picks on the other hand who knows.One thing for sure is the Habs had better be able to sign a good UFA to replace Subban in the meantime or the Habs last season could become a regularity for a few years. Are ya feelin lucky punk?lol.
Trading Subban means a long-term tank+rebuild.

We would also need to trade Plekanec, Markov, etc for the process to be optimized.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:56 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Trading Subban means a long-term tank+rebuild.

We would also need to trade Plekanec, Markov, etc for the process to be optimized.
It's 20 years since the last SC,the team is finally starting to take shape,I don't know how trading Subban will speed things up.Like you say then the team is basically doing a rebuild. That's risky at best.If any management team could do it Bergevin's could IMO.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Honestly, discussing trade scenarios is really hard for me without knowing what range our picks will be in. It's just a whole lot of speculation right now.
Unless there's MAJOR OVERPAYMENT, there's no way any sane team will trade their 1st rounder. Not this year.

2013 is the new 2003. And probably better. Some teams will become contenders with that draft. And especially thanks to some of their past drafts. Would have been ideal to have 2 1st rounders. But possible we will find some incredible gems with our tons of 2nd's. Please Bergevin, unless it's a big time overpayment, do not trade those 2nd rounders.

As far as we're concerned, there's plenty of possibilities. Based on draft ranks, based on BPA's and needs. But one thing is sure....every media here will talk about one guy. Jonathan Drouin. Which is obviously not a bad pick to say the least. But it still depends where we are. 'Cause they are so many other possibilities....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-28-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
If we draft Drouin or Shinkaruk our winger situation will be awesome.
Patch - Gally - Bozon
Drouin/Shink- C - Colberg
Hudon- C - Gallagher
Moen - C - Prust

Old
10-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Mantha seems like a interesting pick. Big powerforward with good offensive skill and a bit of a mean streak (some of his fights are on youtube).

Old
10-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Habssupporter

Quote:
Moving subban should be out of the question. That said for the package you mentionned i would pull that trigger and hope the league didn't block the trade. Too bad this is never happenning!

Old
10-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Habssupporter

Seems like Drouin is going to hear his name in the first few minutes of the draft, kid is simply owning the boxscore these days.

I think its going to requiere a top 6 pick to pick...and a bit of luck even then.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
If we draft Drouin or Shinkaruk our winger situation will be awesome.
Patch - Gally - Bozon
Drouin/Shink- C - Colberg
Hudon- C - Gallagher
Moen - C - Prust
So skilled, yet, so soft...

Closed Thread