Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Old
10-27-2012, 04:15 PM
sawchuk1971

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Loved ball in the early nineties when the Jays were perennial contenders. After the strike, I just never got back into it.

For the reasons posted above, I just find it too slow, uneventful.

Ive tried since, and just can't get back into it.
you can thank ol' donald fehr and the owners for that.....lol...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Swarez

Participation for baseball is dropping for baseball, to me that is much more of an issue than the ratings. They were talking about on what of the sports channels that US participation in little league is off 25% since 2000. I played growing up, pushing 30 and really have no interest outside the blue jays. Watched maybe 10 at bats all playoffs.

I have nieces/nephews under 10, none have interest in baseball now.

To these ratings, its just the way baseball is built. Football is event driven, basketball is star driven, baseball is team driven- no Yanks, Cards, Phillies, Bosox general population won't care.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Do you have any actual data? Do you have anything useful to add? Nobody is trying to mislead anybody. And nobody is being informed by what you're saying -- because you aren't saying anything. You're just whining. If you have some data then post the data. If the data I posted is incorrect then find better data and post that.

I'm not trying to argue anything about any sport's popularity. I was just trying to find some objective data and share it cause I thought people mind find that useful. If you have any data I'd love to see it.
I'll admit, in a thread discussing the 'TV ratings for World Series' the numbers for much lower rated events in other sports (down the list) wouldn't compare. So maybe this is the wrong thread to bring it up, except the World Cup final part which would should be number 4 on your list. I'm just a little annoyed that in most comparison articles (and some forum posts) I read they usually get the soccer data wrong/misleading/incomplete, that's all. They will take the time to post the numbers of every other sports (including the WNBA) pretty accurately but leave it up to the soccer fans to add/correct the soccer numbers.

Anyways, since I don't have the time to compile all the data at this very moment (I'd have to try not to half-ass it and that takes more time than I have now) I'll apologize and shut up here. Maybe some other time when I'm on a break and in a more relevant thread.

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Stop arguing over a little list or lose the thread

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Bert Marshall days

Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire' steroids will bring baseball back!

Wait.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Confucius

My take on baseball is probably the same as the fans take on hockey in most U S markets. If my team isn't in I just don't bother watching.

It's not that baseball or even football are new to me, I played them as a kid and in High School. They just don't interest me. Basketball I never played and only watched the Raptors playoff games. I would never bother with regular season games unless it was the last week of the season and their games meant something.

If most fans were like me, the growing the game philosophy would never work. I feel most people will only ever be a diehard fan of one sport and one sport only.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
the_fan

So finally people realized what a stupid boring game baseball is

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
And Fehr want's to remove the cap.
That would be good for the players, which he represents, but not the game as a whole, which no one represents.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:01 PM
ponder

Baseball is sooooooooo boring.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
DuklaNation

I havent watched the World Series at all for a long time now. The demographics should be concerning for MLB. I blame the Yankees & BoSox mostly. Not only did they hog the playoff spots, their games dragged on and on and on. Not a coincidence that they also got the best tv ratings. Therefore, I stopped watching as the minor enjoyment garnered didnt warrant the time invested.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
So finally people realized what a stupid boring game baseball is
Using that logic, I guess hockey is the most boring sport.

10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I sure as hell haven't been watching...

I don't think I watched one postseason game. Maybe watched 2 or 3 Sox season games.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Those "horrible" numbers are something the NHL will never achieve.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Nobody cares about the Tigers except people in Detroit. With the series being over already, i expect to see the numbers getting even worse.
I don't care about the Giants either.

I won't watch a single pitch because baseball has just gotten too boring, so this doesn't even surprise me.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
The problem with baseball is that only about 12 teams can actually compete, those with the bucks, smaller market teams with little cash are just league members but have no hope of winning a World Series title. How many times have the Yankee's been in the post season?
I agree. I was mildly a Blue Jays fan for a few years, but long since have lost any interest in the sport.

There's no point.

I guess you could say the same for basketball, but I still find basketball entertaining because it's a personality/individual match-up driven league, so it's compelling to watch say LeBron Vs. Kobe even if you're not a fan of either team.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Which is pretty sad, but probably true.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Chiuozu*

Quote:
Thank the almighty for that.

Chiuozu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Some context. Recent ratings for major sporting events in the US. A rating point is % of US TV households -- there's about 114M. These are the most recent years. I've gathered these from various sources so it's always possible I made a mistake in compiling the data. I'd note that last year's Stanley Cup final rating was sharply down from recent years - 5 yr avg is 2.7.

The data is all 2012 data except where noted.

Super Bowl: 47.0
BCS Championship Game (college football): 14.0
NCAA Basketball Tournament Final: 12.3
NBA Finals (series avg): 10.1
World Series (2011 series avg): 10.0
Kentucky Derby: 9.0
World Cup Final (2010): 8.1
Daytona 500 (NASCAR): 8.0
The Masters (Golf, Sunday): 8.0
MLB All-Star Game: 6.8
US Open (Golf, Sunday): 6.0
NBA All-Star Game: 4.4
Indy 500: 4.3
NLCS (series avg): 4.0
ALCS (series avg): 3.8
Wimbledon Men's Final: 2.5
UEFA 2012 Final: 2.4
NHL Winter Classic: 2.1
Wimbledon Women's Final: 2.0
Stanley Cup (series avg): 1.8
UEFA Champion's League Final : 1.1
NHL All-Star Game: 1.0
MLS Cup (2011 soccer final): 0.6
Is NHL really even a top 4 sport in the US? Hard to say yes looking at that. The highest rated hockey event of the year barely beats women's tennis.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
That's misleading..the game was on two channels simultaneously and had 24 million combined viewers (not cume which was much higher).
BTW, couple of EPL numbers are missing from the list. The league doesn't have a standalone championship game (because they award the title to the team with the best regular season record) but couple of the late-season games on network TV had good enough ratings to be on that list. Same goes for the Liga MX (Chivas-America rivalry for example) and few other soccer events that's missing from the list.
Quote:
Whatever, dude. I didn't compile a list of every sporting event in the world. You got some #s? Add them. Nothing is "missing" cause it's not a comprehensive list. If you have some actual data then post it instead of just whining.
ripping/paraphrasing from: http://bigstory.ap.org/content/final...135-million-us

The final day of the EPL had 1.35 million viewers on multiple networks. Their games all go on simultaneously on the final day.(U.S. networks televised all 10 games Sunday on seven English-language networks, two Spanish-language networks and three Internet streams).

The largest rating was for Manchester City's title-winning 3-2 victory over Queens Park Rangers, which was seen by an average 600,000 viewers on ESPN2 and 189,000 on ESPN Deportes, according to Nielsen Media Research. The audience climbed to 987,000 on ESPN for 11:45 a.m.-noon EDT, when the title was decided.

Manchester United's 1-0 win at Sunderland was seen by 161,000 on FX and 167,000 on Fox Deportes, with the FX audience peaking at 214,000 from 11:30 a.m.-noon EDT.

The World Cup final drew 15.5 million total viewers from the ABC broadcast and 8.8 million from the Spanish telecast on Univision for 24.3 million total American viewers in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Is NHL really even a top 4 sport in the US? Hard to say yes looking at that. The highest rated hockey event of the year barely beats women's tennis.
The "Four Major Sports" is merely a label, not a ranking. The difference between the Big Four and the other sports is two-fold:

#1 - "The big four" are PROFESSIONAL leagues, and college sports didn't really act as major sports leagues until 1985-1992 range. NOW everyone says its "a business," but for a long time, people just assumed it was alums and people in the hometown watching. It wasn't until (A) CBS/ESPN put 1000 college games on TV all season long and (B) The NCAA lost control of football TV rights to the members that it became the way it is now. Before the first SEC Championship game, college football was basically 1-2 games on TV a week. Now it's like 20.

#2 - NASCAR, IndyCar, Tennis, Golf, and Horse Racing don't have TEAMS (yes, I know the Ryder Cup and auto racing have "teams," but their format isn't TEAM PLAY).

Only 2 of the 30/32 teams in the "Big Four" make the championship. So when the SCF have Detroit vs Pittsburgh, fans of the other 28 teams are outside observers.

But for NASCAR, auto racing, tennis, golf, etc. The ENTIRE FIELD is playing at the same event. If golf telecasts were Tiger Woods vs Phil Mickelson, you could compare their championship to say, Lakers-Celtics or Yankees-Dodgers, or Red Wings-Rangers. The Indy500 doesn't have to worry about a "EJ Viso vs Oriol Servia" final, like the NHL can get stuck with a Carolina-Edmonton SCF, or MLB with a Detroit-San Francisco World Series.

Last edited by KevFu: 10-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.
KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
ripping/paraphrasing from: http://bigstory.ap.org/content/final...135-million-us

The final day of the EPL had 1.35 million viewers on multiple networks. Their games all go on simultaneously on the final day.(U.S. networks televised all 10 games Sunday on seven English-language networks, two Spanish-language networks and three Internet streams).

The largest rating was for Manchester City's title-winning 3-2 victory over Queens Park Rangers, which was seen by an average 600,000 viewers on ESPN2 and 189,000 on ESPN Deportes, according to Nielsen Media Research. The audience climbed to 987,000 on ESPN for 11:45 a.m.-noon EDT, when the title was decided.

Manchester United's 1-0 win at Sunderland was seen by 161,000 on FX and 167,000 on Fox Deportes, with the FX audience peaking at 214,000 from 11:30 a.m.-noon EDT.

The World Cup final drew 15.5 million total viewers from the ABC broadcast and 8.8 million from the Spanish telecast on Univision for 24.3 million total American viewers in 2010.
Thanks. The last Gold Cup and Confederations cup final got 11 mil and 4 mil viewers (semifinals didn't do much worse I remember). Liga MX final and SuperClassico this year got more than 2 mil each, with a big chunk of them from the key demos. These are just the few events at the top of my head. Sometimes I wish soccer only had one or two big leagues/tourneys instead of a dozen that fragment all their numbers and allow people to misjudge its popularity. Anyways, back to baseball's falling TV ratings ..

Old
10-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Maybe today's horrible numbers for baseball (NHL will never get) but at the rate they are decreasing someday MLB and NHL numbers (if they can increase some) may meet. I can see it when the older generations pass away and today's generation take control (of the media, money and coverage related decisions etc.). Never say never.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:20 PM
KevFu

The sample size for Nielsen ratings is ridiculously small. It's 0.017 percent of US households. Not TVs, mind you, but households.

I am surprised there has not been an attempt by the TV industry to put a Ratings System into TV hardware yet. "Smart TVs" are relatively new, but in 20 years, I'd imagine there will be a Nielsen app for them (and sports ratings and adult movie ratings will skyrocket).

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:41 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
The problem with baseball is that only about 12 teams can actually compete, those with the bucks, smaller market teams with little cash are just league members but have no hope of winning a World Series title. How many times have the Yankee's been in the post season?
A lot of teams refuse to compete. Baseball's revenue sharing is extremely generous, too generous, teams can make $75 million in revenue sharing, national TV contracts that are shared evenly, etc before they sell a single ticket. Teams just pocket that money year after year and don't try to compete because they don't have to in order to be profitable.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:43 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

No one Nationally (including media) cares about the WS (actually playoffs in general) once the Yankees get knocked out or when Red Sox do, if they're actually in them.

Always said this. It's like MLB takes a spiral turn once what's what suppose to be the hottest time for the sport league comes along, the playoffs.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:01 AM
DJ Omnimaga

I prefer Canam league, even though it's almost as bush league as the World Hockey Association with teams folding every year. It's the only pro baseball league that still has Quebec Province teams, meaning the only ones I can attend on a semi regular basis. I stopped following MLB after the Expos traded Martinez. I wouldn't mind going to a Red Sox game one day, though.

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote