HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

P. Kane for OEL

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Nuck This

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
This is a site primarily geared towards prospects. Of course OEL is overrated...
In what way is he overrated? Every time I see the Coyotes play he's the best player on the ice. Easily a number one defenseman.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
People calling OEL overrated are so wrong it's not even funny. It's so rare when a defender can play up to his level. He can do anything. He's got great gap control and his defense reminds me of lidstrom. He helps out offensively and was the heart and soul of Phoenix's playoff run.

You do not find defenders like this every day. Watch this kid in 5 years when all 30 teams are begging to 'em on their team. That is why his value is more than Kane's to me.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:07 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
People calling OEL overrated are so wrong it's not even funny. It's so rare when a defender can play up to his level. He can do anything. He's got great gap control and his defense reminds me of lidstrom. He helps out offensively and was the heart and soul of Phoenix's playoff run.

You do not find defenders like this every day. Watch this kid in 5 years when all 30 teams are begging to 'em on their team. That is why his value is more than Kane's to me.
You sir nailed it!!! Exactly my thoughts.

All talks would be off as soon as OEL's name would be mentioned by the other team's GM.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
It's the typical HF cycle. Down year, play half the season out of position? You're just not a very good player anymore.

Once he vaults back up to an 80 point pace (or more) in whenever the next season he is, he'll be fairly rated again. But until then...
agreed. It's very much a what have you done for me lately type of board here.

Old
10-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
value wise its in the ball park.

Need wise phoenix does this. They have so many good young d men and really lack a ppg forward which kane would be.

However if i was starting a team, id pick oel all day every day.

Old
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
This is a site primarily geared towards prospects. Of course OEL is overrated...
OEL isn't much of a prospect at this point. He's the Coyotes clear #1 and one of the better all-around Dmen in the league. He's 21. There's also no on or off ice issues with him. He's the consummate professional and from all reports, a great teammate. I think we can all agree that the value is close enough to merit a swap, but OEL fits in with what Phoenix needs better.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

The value is not close enough to merit a swap. OEL has not proven himself as Kane has, and is not as good relative to his peers as Kane is.

Crazy how one season can get a player so underrated.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Terms such as overrated and underrated are being thrown around here and it makes zero sense. Kane is not underrated and OEL is not overrated. Both are very good NHL players and huge assets to their teams. That's all there is to it.

If I'm Phoenix, I would trade Yandle before OEL. That's their value trade. There is no reason for them to move OEL. As for Chicago, they don't need to move Kane. He's a great player and still so young. Let them keep 'em.

So when we want to say overrated or underrated, just say pass. Value might be there but reason really serves no purpose.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
OEL has this wierd cult following of intensely passionate fans who insist he's the next coming.

He certainly hasn't proven enough to be considered more valuable than Patrick Kane, an elite offensive winger with a cup ring and a PPG in the playoffs.
Other teams were saying the exact same thing about us and Karlsson, they couldn't see what we were seeing in EK

Old
10-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Terms such as overrated and underrated are being thrown around here and it makes zero sense. Kane is not underrated and OEL is not overrated. Both are very good NHL players and huge assets to their teams. That's all there is to it.

If I'm Phoenix, I would trade Yandle before OEL. That's their value trade. There is no reason for them to move OEL. As for Chicago, they don't need to move Kane. He's a great player and still so young. Let them keep 'em.

So when we want to say overrated or underrated, just say pass. Value might be there but reason really serves no purpose.
Overrated and underrated in this context refer to player value, and when Kane is apparently just equal (or even less than equal) to Oliver Ekman-Larsson, he is certainly being underrated.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Nah, its OEL that's sickeningly overrated right now. Franchise D-man, wa?...
Actually, I would say OEL is rated exactly as he should be. The guy is absurd, and it is often people that haven't watched him often, or just look at stats that think he is overrated.

Kane is being underrated here. I think he is a world class talent, and while the trade may be close, I don't see Chicago ever doing this.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
zytz
lumberjack

So just to throw a wrench in here- given OEL's performances in the NHL, he's very comparable to Nick Leddy as far as impact on the scoresheet; are we valuing Nick Leddy similarly to OEL then? And by extension to Patty Kane?

Old
10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
So just to throw a wrench in here- given OEL's performances in the NHL, he's very comparable to Nick Leddy as far as impact on the scoresheet; are we valuing Nick Leddy similarly to OEL then? And by extension to Patty Kane?
OEL's impact goes far beyond the score sheet. He's a lot closer to Seabrook than he is to Leddy.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Ekman-Larsson is very good defensively, unlike Leddy.

Still isn't worth Kane, though.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Spend less time staring at numbers and more time staring at hockey. Things will become much clearer.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

The simple fact OEL made Yandle expendable should speak volume to his play and why he is credited to having same value as Kane. I don't move OEL short of an overpayment that would send HF in a tizzy.

Chicago would be such a dynamic team with OEL. I would hate to see Chicago get him.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:20 PM
mpp9

OEL is the real deal. No way would I move him, even for a franchise winger.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Yandle for Kane would be fairer

Old
10-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
The simple fact OEL made Yandle expendable should speak volume to his play and why he is credited to having same value as Kane. I don't move OEL short of an overpayment that would send HF in a tizzy.

Chicago would be such a dynamic team with OEL. I would hate to see Chicago get him.
Chicago loses a ton of their dynamic element with the hypothetical departure of Kane. And please don't try and suggest OEL adds more of that than Kane's leaving gives up

People clearly have forgotten how good Kane is.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Yandle for Kane would be fairer
Er, no, that's just an even more vehement no from Chicago.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:10 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Er, no, that's just an even more vehement no from Chicago.
OEL is a franchise d-man. He'll be a top 5-10 d-man for a while.

You're not getting that for an average 1st liner with mental problems

Old
10-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
OEL is a franchise d-man. He'll be a top 5-10 d-man for a while.

You're not getting that for an average 1st liner with mental problems
If Kane is an average first liner, than Ekman-Larsson is a vanilla second-pairing defenseman.

You're not actually serious, right?

Old
10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
If Kane is an average first liner, than Ekman-Larsson is a vanilla second-pairing defenseman.

You're not actually serious, right?
I didn't say OEL was top 10 now. But he will be.

Kane is the 4th best forward on his team.

He is all offense, no defense. And he only had 66 points last year. Based on last year, average 1st liner is generous. Now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he isn't as bad as he showed last year. Average 1st liner.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:40 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

OEL is already the #1 on a top 4 team in the league...

Just because Kane was picked 1st overall, it doesnt mean he is a franchise player. He simply does not produce enough offense to be a franchise player. His overall game is lacking as well, which greatly diminishes his overall value.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Phoenix passes for sure, and I don't Chicago does it. Value is close. Kane is insanely dynamic, but OEL is an absolute stud

Closed Thread