Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Old
10-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
Coulda been Yankees vs cardinals. That would have definitely made it one of the higher rated series in recent years, but all takes is one incredible game,like game 6 last year to get people watching and talking again.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:22 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I feel most people will only ever be a diehard fan of one sport and one sport only.
That couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe in Canada...

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:34 AM
LSnow

vCash: 500
Watched the game, and no wonder no one watches that. Its horrible. Nothing happened all game.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Watched the game, and no wonder no one watches that. Its horrible. Nothing happened all game.
i agree, its painfully boring. No real great story lines. Unless you are a die hard fan, there is very little to draw you into the game.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:19 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

We talked about this on the Pens board. They may be better than the NHL will ever see, but compared to what they used to get, it's pretty interesting.

Not sure if Games 3 & 4 will look much better. Tonight's game was another low scoring affair that took place on a Saturday before Halloween during college football season. Game 4 will be played with the Giants up 3-0 and most people unless die hards probably already tuned out.

Wiki has a nice graphic if you're interested. Even shows ratings game by game

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:33 AM
The Note
Overrated

If its not the cardinals I'm not watching.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Lacaar

If the team I cheered for wasn't out the race before June without a pray in hell of them getting any better the following year. I'd probably pay more attention.

Baseball has found it's niche. Insert Yankeees vs "Blah"
If Yankees frig it up... doh

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Maybe today's horrible numbers for baseball (NHL will never get) but at the rate they are decreasing someday MLB and NHL numbers (if they can increase some) may meet. I can see it when the older generations pass away and today's generation take control (of the media, money and coverage related decisions etc.). Never say never.
I don't know if you follow wrestling but I remember at one point the WWE reached the 8s around 2000, it was unreal. Then a company called TNA came around 2002. WWE ratings went from 8 to 6 to 5 to averaging around 4 in the last few years. And now they are below 3s. While this little company at the most got to 1.5, then averaging 1.3 but in the last few years it's been 1.1 on average. The thing is TNA basically don't move, they stay at the same 1.1 number but the WWE boy they are in a scary free-fall and recently they got a 2.4(!!!). To think not too long ago WWE was at 4 and TNA was at 1.1, and it was too unreal for TNA catch up to them. But they may meet in the middle sooner than later.

Same thing may happen in Hockey and Baseball but I think it's more like the NHL could at least hope to reach the NBA.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:16 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:

You just don't understand the sport. Whatever.

I thought last night was a great game. But I understand that a 2-0 baseball game is usually better than a 9-8 one. Seeing Vogelsong get out of that 5th...so that was just nothing to you?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I am 25.. I love baseball.. it is my second favorite sport.

That being said:

1) I am from Boston, and have been indoctrinated in it. Some of the most intense moments for me as a sports fan have been from baseball. To me there is nothing more nail biting than waiting for a pitch during a rally. There might not be a whole lot of action in baseball, but it thrives on that tension.

2) Youth participation is in the crapper, even in the Northeast. Year after year programs are losing kids to soccer and lacrosse. They need to do something, especially in the first few years when the kids start pitching. When I played an inning would be walk, walk, strike out, walk, hit by pitch, walk, etc. It was dreadfully boring. I don't know what they could do, but it was bad.

3) Baseball is THE greatest sport for the radio, as football is for TV and the ratings have reflected that. As football has increased, baseball has decreased in popularity.

4) People just don't have the attention span which is sad because it is the game that has been the least spoiled by sponsor interruptions. Yea the games are long, but you don't see adds on the field, commercial breaks as the game is being played. Its pretty much the opposite of hockey in terms of tinkering.

5) They need to ditch the free market system, reduce the regular season, and expand the playoffs. Why play 162 games for up until the 1990s got you 2 playoff teams? Its ridiculous. They have enough teams to have 8 from each league make the playoffs, make it happen.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:32 AM
JAX

Baseball is about the Yankees, plain and simple.

JAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_S...vision_ratings

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Gormo
Holupchi

Needs moar roids.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:03 AM
ScottyBowman

Baseball should be over with by October 15th.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:14 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

You just don't understand the sport. Whatever.

I thought last night was a great game. But I understand that a 2-0 baseball game is usually better than a 9-8 one. Seeing Vogelsong get out of that 5th...so that was just nothing to you?
It was more of the inability of Detroit than amazing pitching, they had zero urgency and zero fight left in them.. And now the series is over.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
robla

Quote:
It was more of the inability of Pistons than amazing pitching, they had zero urgency and zero fight left in them.. And now the series is over.
no wonder Detroit is down 0-3 in the series... they fielded the wrong team roster by playing their basketball roster instead of the tigers

robla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:23 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by robla View Post
no wonder Detroit is down 0-3 in the series... they fielded the wrong team roster by playing their basketball roster instead of the tigers
I was watching NBA site so i somehow mixed them

Old
10-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
The sample size for Nielsen ratings is ridiculously small. It's 0.017 percent of US households. Not TVs, mind you, but households.

I am surprised there has not been an attempt by the TV industry to put a Ratings System into TV hardware yet. "Smart TVs" are relatively new, but in 20 years, I'd imagine there will be a Nielsen app for them (and sports ratings and adult movie ratings will skyrocket).
I'd be very surprised if cable companies don't know what channel and when you're watching. Cable line coming into our house used to be just a straight cable, about 5 years ago they attached this junction box to the cable just before it enters the house. I'm sure they know exactly what's going on.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Main problem with baseball is people are mainly just a fan of their own team.

They'll watch and then when their team gets out, they don't watch anymore. With NFL, NBA, NHL, I can watch any game if my team is out. I know I can just not watch a baseball game that doesn't include the Yankees. Hell, im getting to the point where I just can't watch baseball period. As im getting older im just tuning out of the game.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Main problem with baseball is people are mainly just a fan of their own team.

They'll watch and then when their team gets out, they don't watch anymore. With NFL, NBA, NHL, I can watch any game if my team is out. I know I can just not watch a baseball game that doesn't include the Yankees. Hell, im getting to the point where I just can't watch baseball period. As im getting older im just tuning out of the game.
Well thats what happens to hockey too. Only the NFL and the NBA seem to attract everyone. Last years NHL playoffs was a prime example. That was some of the most boring **** ever and thankfully shut it off.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
The only think I like about baseball is the South Park episode on baseball. I don't know how people can sit through 3+ hours of that. More power to them, but I'd rather watch paint dry.

Boredom might have to do with it too. I like the Stanley Cup playoffs..but I definitely didn't catch all the games. I'm no fan of the Canucks or the Bruins but I made sure I watched every minute of the finals, because it was a very exciting game.

LA/NJ wasn't really exciting, the Conference finals weren't exciting either and the Rangers/Washington series was probably a blockathon competition. Whoever blocks more shots wins.

A very exciting and competitive series would be something in between Philly/Pens and Phoenix/Hawks series from this year's playoffs.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:23 AM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

MLB is nothing but 10 "big league" teams and a bunch of AAA teams in the same league. The Yanks have the greatest unfair advantage in sports.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Way too late in the Year Baseball should Start earlier. Don Fehr's seeds of destruction are growing.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
MLB is nothing but 10 "big league" teams and a bunch of AAA teams in the same league. The Yanks have the greatest unfair advantage in sports.
The same could be said for the NBA, around 10 teams have ever won. You know going into season 4/5 teams are true contenders. Big teams/markets get all the good players. Look at Dwight wanting out of orlando (wanted to be a star), or the Harden trade yesterday (small team didn't want to pay him max). The NBA has the largest concentration of stars in big markets vs other sports.

NBA is doing jut fine with ratings though, because its actually entertaining. Over past few years despite the Toronto team being terrible I watch more NBA than ever before because the product is great. Baseball is just dull, no reason to watch teams that don't entertain you if you are not a fan of that market.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
No, not really. What you're describing is Basketball.

The Oakland A's and the Orioles prove well that what you're saying is very wrong.

I dont remember the exact numbers, but the order from most to least parity in the big 4 was:

NHL>>>>NFL>>>>MLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>NBA

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote