HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A year from now...

Old
10-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
A year from now...

Since there's most likely going to be no NHL season this year due to the lockout, I thought it'd be fun to speculate what next year's line-up is going to look like after a full season dedicated to our youngsters in the AHL or in the Juniors and a year less of Gomez and Kaberle

I present to you your 2013-2014 Montreal Canadiens:

Erik Cole - David Desharnais - Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta
Travis Moen - Lars Eller - Louis Leblanc
Brandon Prust - Gabriel Dumont - Colby Armstrong
Ryan White - Blake Geoffrion

Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Andrei Markov - Alexei Emelin
Nathan Beaulieu - Raphael Diaz
Frédéric St-Denis

Carey Price
Mathieu Garon

Rene Bourque, Yannick Weber and Tomas Kaberle traded during the offseason. Scott Gomez bought out.

AHL

Patrick Holland - Michael Bournival - Brendan Gallagher
Steve Quailer - Mark MacMillan - Danny Kristo
AHL Veteran - Joonas Nattinen - Olivier Archambault
AHL Veteran - AHL Veteran - Ian Schultz

Jarred Tinordi - Morgan Ellis
Mac Bennett - Greg Pateryn
Marcus Nygren - Darren Dietz
Antoine Corbin

Cedrick Desjardins
Peter Delmas

What's your line-up?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:22 PM
LeMAD

Except there will be a season this year.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Except there will be a season this year.
I envy your optimism.

Here's a guess:

MaxPac - Desharnais - Cole
Booth - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Galchenyuk - Leblanc
Prust - Dumont - White
Geoffrion

Edler - Subban
Gorges - Diaz
Emelin - St-Denis
Stoner
Kaberle

Price
Desjardins

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Since there's most likely going to be no NHL season this year due to the lockout, I thought it'd be fun to speculate what next year's line-up is going to look like after a full season dedicated to our youngsters in the AHL or in the Juniors and a year less of Gomez and Kaberle

Brandon Prust - Gabriel Dumont - Colby Armstrong
Ryan White - Blake Geoffrion

Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Nathan Beaulieu - Raphael Diaz
Frédéric St-Denis

Carey Price
Mathieu Garon

Rene Bourque, Yannick Weber and Tomas Kaberle traded during the offseason. Scott Gomez bought out.

AHL

Steve Quailer - Mark MacMillan - Danny Kristo
AHL Veteran - Joonas Nattinen - Olivier Archambault
AHL Veteran - AHL Veteran - Ian Schultz

Marcus Nygren - Darren Dietz
Antoine Corbin

Cedrick Desjardins
Peter Delmas

What's your line-up?
Great line-up.. I like it alot.. We will see what happen with Kaberle but I wouldnt be surprised to see him gone as well, Beaulieu is amazing right now in the AHL but his game needs a bit of refine just like getting stronger and developing better shooting skills.. I doubt Beaulieu will be a regular next year but should see some action here and there..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I envy your optimism.

Here's a guess:

MaxPac - Desharnais - Cole
Booth - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Galchenyuk - Leblanc
Prust - Dumont - White
Geoffrion

Edler - Subban
Gorges - Diaz
Emelin - St-Denis
Stoner
Kaberle

Price
Desjardins
What you traded Eller for Booth?? Outch..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:18 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
What you traded Eller for Booth?? Outch..
And Edler... I'm just guessing, I dislike Booth's glass frame myself, but you have to give something to get better on D.

Edit: Yeah looks like I messed this up since Edler would be UFA, lets just say we get his rights and he signs ok? And Gillis ships back a pound of BC pot

Last edited by vokiel: 10-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.
vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:46 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
And Edler... I'm just guessing, I dislike Booth's glass frame myself, but you have to give something to get better on D.

Edit: Yeah looks like I messed this up since Edler would be UFA, lets just say we get his rights and he signs ok? And Gillis ships back a pound of BC pot
Why would the Canucks trade Edler and Booth for Eller? Even if he reaches his upside, Eller will never be as good as Edler...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
HabsRealist

Dumont has a ways to go hit his ceiling which is average AHler. He has no NHL potential.

Galchenyuk next year sounds right.

Beaulieu no way next year I think. He has got a long way to go. He is an offensive defenceman with no points so far. Real soft in his own zone.

Give all the newbies 2 years in the AHL, be patient, and know some wont improve alot and wont pan out.

I think Holland may get a shot before Leblanc, if the shot comes in 30-40 games.

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Why would the Canucks trade Edler and Booth for Eller? Even if he reaches his upside, Eller will never be as good as Edler...
Maybe it's all they could get before he bolts ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
pcamp

I'd love to acquire Edler in FA, he would look great next to Subban

pcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Drouin-Galchenyuk-MacKinnon

And also, a year from now, I'd be doing my freaking fantasy draft!

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:47 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The only signings are UFA's being RW Corey Perry and Erik Johnson RD.Giving the Habs the last two players needed for their core group going into the future.The veteran leadership and talent these two bring could assure the progress of the Habs prospects. As well as making the team competitive in the playoffs immediately and for years to come.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Mats86

Here's mine...

Bozon -Alex Galchenyuk - Brian Gionta
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - Bourque

Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Tomas Kaberle - Raphael Diaz
Frédéric St-Denis

Carey Price
Mathieu Garon

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Habruti!

Pacioretty, Desharnai, Cole
Gallchenyuk, Plekanek, Leblanc
Bourque, Eller, Gionta
Prust, White, Moen

Emelin, Subban
Kaberle, Georges
Markov, one of Beaulieu, Nash, st-Denis

Price, ???

I feel that on paper it is the best lineup in a long while.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Jerky

All contracts during the lockout burn a year if there is no season, so Desharnais would be a RFA next year.

If he has the balls to ask for $4+ million, I'd balk and then walk.

He is the epitome of a 1 dimensional player.

Can't check, can't block shots, can't kill penalties, can't win faceoffs, has a weak shot and is less than average defensively/without the puck. Only thing he can do is pass.....and Pleks is better at that.

People who think he's the next Marty St. Louis need to take off the rose coloured Habs glasses and give themselves a reality check.

I see Gally making the team next season, as he's too good for junior and should bypass the AHL, which means that it would be Pleky, Eller, Gally, as our 3 centers. I don't know why people have him on the wing. He's the center we've been waiting for. Stick him there and leave him.

You have to also think that the CAP will be lowered after the lockout is settled, maybe pushing it back down to $60 - $65 million, leaving us with little CAP space, especially if we buy out Gomez's last year. We still have to sign Subban too.

Since Armstrong's and Bouillon's 1 year deals will expire, they'll just re-sign the same deals for 1 year. Take Noke back on a 1 year deal as our 4th line center, if not, get a veteran face-off/PK guy to fill the role

I put Bourque on the 3rd to help insulate Gally, as it would be a bad idea to have Gally and Leblanc on the same line to start.

So our lineup next year

MaxPac - Pleks - Cole
Leblanc - Eller - Gionta (LEG line)
Bourque - Gally - Armstrong (BAG line)
Moen - Noke/Vet - Prust
White

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Bouillon - Kaberle
Diaz

Price
Desjardins

Last edited by Jerky: 10-28-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Habitant le colon

Rene Bourque - Andrew Cogliano - Colby Armstrong
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - Travis Moen
Blake Geoffrion

Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Andrei Markov - Raphael Diaz
Alexei Emelin - Luca Sbisa
Frédéric St-Denis

Carey Price
Cedrick Desjardins

Trade :
Lars Eller Tomas Kaberle and Aaron Palushaj
VS
Luca Sbisa, Andrew Cogliano and Peter Holland

AHL

Steve Quailer - Peter Holland - Louis Leblanc
Philippe Lefebvre - Mark MacMillan - Olivier Archambault
Karl Hagel - Gabriel Dumont - Zack Stortini
Ian Schultz - DannyKristo

Nathan Beaulieu - Darren Dietz
Brendon Nash - Marcus Nygren

Robert Mayers
Peter Delmas

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:34 AM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post

Trade :
Lars Eller Tomas Kaberle and Aaron Palushaj
VS
Luca Sbisa, Andrew Cogliano and Peter Holland

Seriously?

Why would Anaheim do this? Peter Holland is their Lars Eller, he'll be on the team next year as their #3 center.

Now why would they make the joke of a trade that is Kaberle and Palushaj for Sbisa and Cogliano?

Cogs is better than Palushaj and Sbisa is better than Kabs. And not to mention that he has a whole lot of hockey left in him where as Kabs can't even get us a 3rd round pick back.

And then you have the audacity to place Holland in the AHL BEHIND Bournival and have Sbisa playing on the 3rd pairing while Diaz is on the 2nd.

Awful trade for Anaheim.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Seriously?

Why would Anaheim do this? Peter Holland is their Lars Eller, he'll be on the team next year as their #3 center.

Now why would they make the joke of a trade that is Kaberle and Palushaj for Sbisa and Cogliano?

Cogs is better than Palushaj and Sbisa is better than Kabs. And not to mention that he has a whole lot of hockey left in him where as Kabs can't even get us a 3rd round pick back.

Awful trade for Anaheim.
main purpose is make your team ... so I fleeced ANAHEIM to make mine ! Why would I take it seriously when we don,t even know if nhl will be back this year and who will bloom from Palushaj or Holland thing are that the player in red are the free spot in my mind .

So who can we get for Eller Kaberle and Palushaj ?

Last edited by Habitant le colon: 10-28-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
All contracts during the lockout burn a year if there is no season, so Desharnais would be a RFA next year.

Can't check, can't block shots, can't kill penalties, can't win faceoffs, has a weak shot and is less than average defensively/without the puck. Only thing he can do is pass.....and Pleks is better at that.

I see Gally making the team next season, as he's too good for junior and should bypass the AHL, which means that it would be Pleky, Eller, Gally, as our 3 centers. I don't know why people have him on the wing. He's the center we've been waiting for. Stick him there and leave him.

Since Armstrong's and Bouillon's 1 year deals will expire, they'll just re-sign the same deals for 1 year. Take Noke back on a 1 year deal as our 4th line center, if not, get a veteran face-off/PK guy to fill the role

So our lineup next year
1) I strongly disagree with you on Desharnais. First of all, I'd be kind of shocked if he asked us for 4+ million and refused anything under than that since it was Montreal who gave him a chance to prove himself at the professional level so there's definitely a loyalty factor here. He's easily the player on our team with the best vision, his faceoffs abilities aren't as bad as you make them out to be (49,4% after a pretty rough start where he was going at 44% pace I believe). And he without a doubt has much better passing than Plekanec. Pleks is a decent passer but he can't be the guy to count on a line to do give and go's or make incredibly precise passes, he's a well-rounded dude with a solid two way game to with it. Anyway I don't see why we should let Desharnais walk if he asks for too much money when we don't have many options to replace him. His line with Cole and Pacioretty have shown that they can be a good 1st line in today's NHL (all of them got 60+ points). Why put some guaranteed chemistry and our team's offense in jeopardy because we didn't want to give him the extra 500k.

2) If Galchenyuk makes the team next year, I think he'll be playing wing so he can focus on his game offensively. It's not really that strange to see centers start their career on the wing only to move back to their natural position once they're more comfortable at that level. Plus, from what I've read he's really inconsistent on faceoffs and it's facet of his game that he has to work on. So if he's getting exposed in the OHL, I don't wanna see how much NHLers would dominate him in the faceoff circle.

3) I agree on Armstrong since he seems to fit in well with the group of guys we have here, he's involved in La Tournée Des Joueurs and is always tweeting to some of his teammates. He's the type of scoring and physical presence we need and Therrien likes him. But as for Bouillon, he's going to be 38 by october of next year and I'm pretty sure he was signed to be a stop-gap and make sure that none of our prospect defenseman are rushed if injuries happen. With one year under their belts, I think someone like Beaulieu would add more to the team than having an old Bouillon on our bottom pairing.

Last edited by Chris Cutter: 10-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:26 PM
MXD

Quote:

I can't tell whether I stopped reading at "can't block shots" or "can't win faceoffs"...

blocking shots isn't in his task description, and it's not like Plekanec blocked tons of shots either.

Faceoffs? Close to 50% last season, and over 50% in the last 4 months.

Desharnais would be totally justified to ask for 3 millions at the very least (in the new parameters).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:28 PM
MXD

Quote:
Seriously?

And then you have the audacity to place Holland in the AHL BEHIND Bournival and have Sbisa playing on the 3rd pairing while Diaz is on the 2nd.

Awful trade for Anaheim.
Holland behind Bournival is totally in the realms of possiblities. Actually, the biggest problem is Holland at Center, not Holland behind Bournival.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Holland behind Bournival is totally in the realms of possiblities. Actually, the biggest problem is Holland at Center, not Holland behind Bournival.
didn't check much on him to be honest ... maybe swaping him and Leblanc .... but thing are that Palushaj Kaberle et Eller are no longer on my list ... as for Galy to play on wing is a bit difficult to me but acceptable for the moment unless one of Desharnais or Plekanec are traded wich is out topic from now ...

Old
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
1) I strongly disagree with you on Desharnais. First of all, I'd be kind of shocked if he asked us for 4+ million and refused anything under than that since it was Montreal who gave him a chance to prove himself at the professional level so there's definitely a loyalty factor here. He's easily the player on our team with the best vision, his faceoffs abilities aren't as bad as you make them out to be (49,4% after a pretty rough start where he was going at 44% pace I believe). And he without a doubt has much better passing than Plekanec. Pleks is a decent passer but he can't be the guy to count on a line to do give and go's or make incredibly precise passes, he's a well-rounded dude with a solid two way game to with it. Anyway I don't see why we should let Desharnais walk if he asks for too much money when we don't have many options to replace him. His line with Cole and Pacioretty have shown that they can be a good 1st line in today's NHL (all of them got 60+ points). Why put some guaranteed chemistry and our team's offense in jeopardy because we didn't want to give him the extra 500k.

2) If Galchenyuk makes the team next year, I think he'll be playing wing so he can focus on his game offensively. It's not really that strange to see centers start their career on the wing only to move back to their natural position once they're more comfortable at that level. Plus, from what I've read he's really inconsistent on faceoffs and it's facet of his game that he has to work on. So if he's getting exposed in the OHL, I don't wanna see how much NHLers would dominate him in the faceoff circle.

3) I agree on Armstrong since he seems to fit in well with the group of guys we have here, he's involved in La Tournée Des Joueurs and is always tweeting to some of his teammates. He's the type of scoring and physical presence we need and Therrien likes him. But as for Bouillon, he's going to be 38 by october of next year and I'm pretty sure he was signed to be a stop-gap and make sure that none of our prospect defenseman are rushed if injuries happen. With one year under their belts, I think someone like Beaulieu would add more to the team than having an old Bouillon on our bottom pairing.
Plekanec is our best center. Randy Cunneyworth completely misused him last year. He turned him into a pure shutdown center, it was a waste of his skills. He needs better linemates than Bourque or whatever scraps they put next to him. I'm not convinced MaxPac and Cole should both remain with DD if we want our team to really succeed.
I want MaxPac to be the prime power forward on his line, like Cole. They should be split up, perhaps keep them together as a PP unit. Worst case, we know that trio can work, so they can be put back together if needed.

As for Gally, I don't think he should be a winger, and if you want him to improve on Faceoffs, then he needs to take some, not be removed. I rather see how he can handle himself as a center in the AHL, and at the same time we need to see how Eller does. Eventually, one of our centers will need to either be moved to the wing or traded.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:06 PM
yoyo999

Quote:
S

Yup. Just like that

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Plekanec is our best center.
By a country mile!!!