HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida-Phoenix

Old
10-26-2012, 03:07 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
Florida-Phoenix

Both teams trade from a position of strength to address an area of weakness in terms of prospect pools:

Connor Murphy/David Rundblad
2013 3rd round pick

Drew Shore
Vincent Trocheck

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Not bad. I like Shore quite a bit, and it'd be cool to see Gord Murphy's kid in the Panthers organization.

I might really go for Murphy and third for Shore and Trochek. I think I'd probably actually pull the trigger.

This is a rarity on these boards. Congratulations sir.

10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I'd hate to give up 2 center prospects in the same deal though. Would it be possible to swap out Trocheck for something else? What would the Coyotes need/want instead?

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Isn't defense an area of strength for the Panthers? Kulikov, Gudbranson, Petrovic, Robak, Ellerby all young defenders with top-4 potential?

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Isn't defense an area of strength for the Panthers? Kulikov, Gudbranson, Petrovic, Robak, Ellerby all young defenders with top-4 potential?
The Panthers don't have many organizational holes, but since Weiss/Huberdeau/Bjugstad are all slam dunks as top 6 centres, they can afford to move a B prospect from the C position for a B prospect at D. Also you forgot Matheson.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I'd hate to give up 2 center prospects in the same deal though. Would it be possible to swap out Trocheck for something else? What would the Coyotes need/want instead?
I figured it would be ok since you guys still have Hubs, Bjugstad, Grimaldi, Rau and McFarland

Old
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Ellerby has been mostly dissapointing I think, and aside from Kulikov, they lack a young offensive defenseman

Old
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Yes and no. Ellerby probably no longer figures to be a top 4 defender...just doesnt have the hockey IQ needed for that IMO (better suited for limited mins on a 3rd pairing). Kulikov is not signed long term and Gudbranson just injured his shoulder in August. Petrovic & Robak are probably 1-2 yrs away from being NHL ready but that doesnt make them top 4 ready by then either. Matheson is also at least 3 yrs away from the pro ranks too.

Compounded on top of that is the age of the existing defenders that Panthers have, Campbell (33), Weaver (34), Jovo (36), & Kuba (35) means they will need at least all of those prospects to be ready soon. So that depth that looks like an area of strength should be quickly depleted within the next 2 yrs. Adding one of Murphy or Rundblad would just improve that depth and a smart move when there are several centers in the org that could play the same role (2nd/3rd line C).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I figured it would be ok since you guys still have Hubs, Bjugstad, Grimaldi, Rau and McFarland
Huberdeau may or may not ever be an NHL center. He may be better as a LW due to his size. Rau has been a LW since he's been in college and his size also makes him a possible winger in the NHL (if he makes it that far). McFarland has been bad and basically looks to be on the way to being a bust. I just felt like both of those guys in the offer can be NHLers and the Panthers are only getting 1 definite NHLer back (the pick may or may not be an NHLer).

Last edited by Coolburn: 10-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Poor value for us, extremely poor (if its Murphy). We are stacked at defense, and need centers. We arent gonna deal those two. Both look like gems, so there is no chance I would even consider doing this trade from a Panthers POV.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Ellerby probably no longer figures to be a top 4 defender...just doesnt have the hockey IQ needed for that IMO (better suited for limited mins on a 3rd pairing).
I think that Ellerby's performance has been a little misleading. I think that in the past the combination of his youth and lack of playing time affected his performance. Last season when he got extended playing time due to injury to others he looked much better. I would not put it past him to become the top four defenseman that they thought they had when they drafted him. I think it would be a big mistake to give up on him right now especially since he is still 6'5 with speed. I'm willing to bet if he got extended playing time he will surprise people a lot.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 10-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:33 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
I think that Ellerby's performance has been a little misleading. I think that in the past the combination of his youth and lack of playing time affected his performance. Last season when he got extended playing time due to injury to others he looked much better. I would not put it past him to become the top four defenseman that they thought they had when they drafted him. I think it would be a big mistake to give up on him right now especially since he is still 6'5 with speed. I'm willing to bet if he got extended playing time he will surprise people a lot.
if there's a player who wants the lockout to end more than anyone, i'm willing to bet it's keaton ellerby.

with gudbranson out for months, ellerby would finally have the chance to prove himself.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:54 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Poor value for us, extremely poor (if its Murphy). We are stacked at defense, and need centers. We arent gonna deal those two. Both look like gems, so there is no chance I would even consider doing this trade from a Panthers POV.
Murphy was a 1st round pick 18 months ago and has been very good in Sarnia since he got drafted. You're basically flipping a 2nd and a 3rd (albeit two picks who have done well based on draft position expectations) for a 1st and a 3rd (one who has done well based on draft expectations and one which is a mystery)

Old
10-27-2012, 05:27 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Murphy was a 1st round pick 18 months ago and has been very good in Sarnia since he got drafted. You're basically flipping a 2nd and a 3rd (albeit two picks who have done well based on draft position expectations) for a 1st and a 3rd (one who has done well based on draft expectations and one which is a mystery)
Shore and Trocheck are playing like 1st round pick, and I would have no interest in trading them. Floridas "weakness" are centers, so this trade makes no sense. I got no interest in Murphy, and a 3rd isnt close to value for any of them.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:19 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I know nothing about the players from the Panther side but Rundblad has too much potential to let him go. Murphy and a 3rd I can live with though. Perhaps you can throw in Ellerby instead of Trocheck. I believe he's Doan's cousin if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure Playfair and Tip could get the most out of him as well.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:37 PM
FrolikFan67

i'd do this as a panthers fan. rundblad and murphy both look good, especially with gord murphy here. i like shore, but i'd let him go for one of them. trocheck looks nice but not a deal breaker for me. i'd take it, but thats just me.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:14 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I know nothing about the players from the Panther side but Rundblad has too much potential to let him go. Murphy and a 3rd I can live with though. Perhaps you can throw in Ellerby instead of Trocheck. I believe he's Doan's cousin if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure Playfair and Tip could get the most out of him as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
i'd do this as a panthers fan. rundblad and murphy both look good, especially with gord murphy here. i like shore, but i'd let him go for one of them. trocheck looks nice but not a deal breaker for me. i'd take it, but thats just me.
It almost makes more sense to boil it right down to Murphy for Shore. That's a trade I seriously have to consider as a Yotes fan. I've only seen Shore at the WJCs and a couple of D1 games, but I do like his pro upside quite a bit. Murphy seems to have a lot of long term upside. He's certainly got all of the tools. He's 6'5", skates extremely well, has good offensive instincts and a fair amount of generalized swagger. He's also had injury issues and is pretty much a long term project at this point. Shore seems more polished and closer to being ready to make the jump. Given Phoenix's glaring need at center, this is an extremely tempting trade. Florida, on the other hand, has more general young prospect depth, spread out across all positions. They've also got Gord Murphy. Shore for Murphy is the kind of trade that goes down, and people will say its totally random but totally sensible.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Maybe Shore for Rundblad.. No need to go any further, Trocheck may have been drafted in the 3rd round, but his value is much higher.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote