HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Luongo Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM
  #901
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
People like to be jealous that the most popular team gets the most attention but no they aren't. They haven't ranked the leafs to be in the playoffs in years and those 3 insiders are professional and objective
They haven't even ranked a Maple Leaf player among their top 50 NHL players. When they did that show before last season I thought Kessel should have been on there based on his 2010-2011 stats and he still wasn't.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:03 PM
  #902
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Did you just say TSN is not biased towards the Leafs?


Do you know people call TSN the Toronto Sports Network as a joke?
When it comes to reporting on Leafs trade rumours TSN doesn't have the Toronto reporters mention them. That's why I said before they have Dreger, McKenize & LeBrun who are professional and objective with no bias.

You mentioned how the Canucks have Farhan Lalji & Jason Botchford who report on Canucks rumours for TSN. If you want to believe them because they are local towards the Canucks that's your opinion and I respect it.

So to answer your question yes I said TSN is not biased towards the Leafs in their reporting.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:12 PM
  #903
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
So to answer your question yes I said TSN is not biased towards the Leafs in their reporting.
We assume Dreger is getting his Canucks "info" from his cousin, you think he has a source with the Canucks? From our point of view, he doesn't seem to have any clue what's going on with our team.

Scurr is online now  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:16 PM
  #904
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's not ripping.. The media jumped because its Toronto.. This is what happens here.


Which is why I asked you if it was common... Apparently it is.



Quote:
So how did Damian cox, Steve Simmons, Doug Maclean etc. get their jobs?

I haven't contradicted myself once. You just continue to reach and grasp because you want to believe you'll get something far more then luongo is actually worth.


Haha. You went from there are _only_ 2 teams in on Luongo to expanding your list. This is a clear contradiction. Even if you don't admit it, I'm glad others are seeing it.



Quote:
Dreger certainly does have more knowledge then beat writers. That's not to say a beat writer can't report the truth first but if it was in fact to truth those big 3 would confirm it.


The fact that you think Dreger has more knowledge about the Canucks than someone like Gallagher, who has been covering the team since 1972, says more about you and your perceptions than it does the larger VAN fanbase. (Just as an FYI, he was drawing attention to the Hodgson situation far before anything was reported by TSN.)



Dreger worked here. He's got nothing on Gallagher. Nothing.



Quote:
Who the bloody hell is Kuzma or Gallagher? Again more isolated reporters...

As for Mackenzie you have to understand the difference between when he writes articles of his opinion and when he actual reports something


So when he speculates it's Ok for him to be wrong... Gotcha.



The fact that you don't know who Gallagher is (ask Burke one day), shows you have a limited knowledge base about this team in general. I suggest learning about the different sources around the league and not just those in your own pond.

Bleach Clean is online now  
Old
10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
  #905
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
When it comes to reporting on Leafs trade rumours TSN doesn't have the Toronto reporters mention them. That's why I said before they have Dreger, McKenize & LeBrun who are professional and objective with no bias.

You mentioned how the Canucks have Farhan Lalji & Jason Botchford who report on Canucks rumours for TSN. If you want to believe them because they are local towards the Canucks that's your opinion and I respect it.

So to answer your question yes I said TSN is not biased towards the Leafs in their reporting.
You know that Dreger is Nonis' cousin right? He is about as biased as you can get. Don't confuse being an insider with being unbiased.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 10:17 PM
  #906
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The Toronto Sports Network is biased IMO. Agree to disagree on this point.
If any network is biased it's Sportsnet Pacific. Now before you say Sportsnet Ontario favors the Leafs, no one from there bashes other teams like Dave Pratt, Don Taylor, John Shorthouse and John Garret do for Sportsnet Pacific. They hate Toronto and love to bash them any chance they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus
You know that Dreger is Nonis' cousin right? He is about as biased as you can get. Don't confuse being an insider with being unbiased.
Yes I know that and I previously mentioned it. However I then said maybe Dreger doesn't go to Nonis for inside information because then people might think he isn't legit on his reporting.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 10:38 PM
  #907
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
If any network is biased it's Sportsnet Pacific. Now before you say Sportsnet Ontario favors the Leafs, no one from there bashes other teams like Dave Pratt, Don Taylor, John Shorthouse and John Garret do for Sportsnet Pacific. They hate Toronto and love to bash them any chance they can.

Yes I know that and I previously mentioned it. However I then said maybe Dreger doesn't go to Nonis for inside information because then people might think he isn't legit on his reporting.
How would anyone know if he did or didn't unless they look at his phone or email?

TSN is biased. If you can't see it then you are a blind homer and I feel bad for you.


As an example I live in BC but not even close to Vancouver however I literally llisten to Botchford every day and TG occasionally and they generally have the pulse of the team. TG is more negative fire AV every chance he gets etc Botchford is a true *Canucks* insider. For example he knew and was telling people about Luo's twitter account LONG before anyone else from the MSM reported it.

TG was talking about Hodgson being unhappy months before the trade.

Botchford was reporting who the Canucks would qualify within 2 weeks of the Canucks being elminated from the playoffs. He was right on every point except Duco or Bitz I can't remember which.

The point is if people in TO think Cox/Dredger are unbiased don't open your mouth about other beat reports or insiders because you make yourself look foolish.

Edit: Yes Pratt, Taylor, Garrett are biased anyone can see but that's stating the obvious like CBC and TSN being heavily slanted towards Toronto and definitely against the Canucks I.E Ron Maclean

Seatoo is online now  
Old
10-27-2012, 10:54 PM
  #908
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
How would anyone know if he did or didn't unless they look at his phone or email?

TSN is biased. If you can't see it then you are a blind homer and I feel bad for you.


As an example I live in BC but not even close to Vancouver however I literally llisten to Botchford every day and TG occasionally and they generally have the pulse of the team. TG is more negative fire AV every chance he gets etc Botchford is a true *Canucks* insider. For example he knew and was telling people about Luo's twitter account LONG before anyone else from the MSM reported it.

TG was talking about Hodgson being unhappy months before the trade.

Botchford was reporting who the Canucks would qualify within 2 weeks of the Canucks being elminated from the playoffs. He was right on every point except Duco or Bitz I can't remember which.

The point is if people in TO think Cox/Dredger are unbiased don't open your mouth about other beat reports or insiders because you make yourself look foolish.

Edit: Yes Pratt, Taylor, Garrett are biased anyone can see but that's stating the obvious like CBC and TSN being heavily slanted towards Toronto and definitely against the Canucks I.E Ron Maclean
I never said anything negative about the Canucks beat reporters. All I said was I prefer getting my information from someone like Dreger, however if Canucks fans want their information from the local Vancouver media that's fine.

As for CBC being biased towards Toronto watch a Leafs game with Jim Hughson, Craig Simpsons & Glenn Healy. They always love to bash the Leafs for every mistake they make, even if it's very minor.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  #909
GoLeafsGo96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
How is Dreger biased to the Leafs? He never says anything good about them. It's either neutral or negative.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  #910
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 30,483
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't think we can gain anything on discussing beat writers. All of the information we have is second hand. Let's move along and remember we are still speculating.

ColePens is online now  
Old
10-27-2012, 10:59 PM
  #911
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I never said anything negative about the Canucks beat reporters. All I said was I prefer getting my information from someone like Dreger, however if Canucks fans want their information from the local Vancouver media that's fine.

As for CBC being biased towards Toronto watch a Leafs game with Jim Hughson, Craig Simpsons & Glenn Healy. They always love to bash the Leafs for every mistake they make, even if it's very minor.
Fair enough. I only read HF on my iPhone so it's hard to keep track of who says what sometimes!

The crew may not be biased towards T.O but ill tell you what when I have to see TO every Saturday night and the Canucks only a handful of times a year on HNIC it reeks of favouritism. Same as when the leafs come out west. Like this year TO was supposed to come and the static time of 7pm PST changes to 5PM. But when Montreal comes there is no change to accommodate the fans back east.

Also Ron Maclean is a tool. He may not be TO biased but without a doubt he is biased AGAINST Vancouver

Edit: For a proposal how would TO fans like

Luongo and Raymond for Bozak, Frattin, Colbourne Blacker and a 3rd

I would switch Higgins in for Raymond if Kulemin was added and the pick went to 2013 4th and 2014 4th

Seatoo is online now  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:29 PM
  #912
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
The cards had not yet been dealt, but Roberto Luongo already had his poker face on when it came to answering questions about Toronto possibly being his next hockey home.

Luongo was made available for interviews Saturday morning at the River Rock Casino in Richmond to garner publicity for his participation this weekend in two World Series of Poker circuit events.

Click here for photos of Roberto Luongo

But as he sat at one of the green felt poker tables that filled the River Rock Show Theatre, Luongo didn't have much interest in talking about whether he could soon be wearing Maple Leafs' blue.

"I don't want to speculate on anything because there are a lot of rumours," Luongo said.

Eastern media reports in recent days have suggested a Luongo-to-Toronto trade is all but done.

But Luongo said until something happens -- and nothing will until the NHL lockout ends -- he considers himself a Vancouver Canuck.

"Obviously, when the time comes and I do have to make a decision we'll make one with the best interests for myself, the team and all that kind of stuff," he said. "But for now I think my focus is just on being ready to play no matter where that is."

Luongo, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, said he has not spoken with Canuck general manager Mike Gillis for quite some time and has not given him a specific list of teams he'd be willing to go to.

"Mike never asked me for a specific list, so I have never given him a list of five teams or anything like that." he said. "We did speak over the summer about certain teams, but that was nothing concrete."

Luongo has 10 years remaining on his contract, which carries an annual salary cap hit of $5.33 million.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Luongo+h...#ixzz2AZ4t5N2K


Last edited by spiny norman: 10-27-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: please do not post entire articles
MISC* is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  #913
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
^^^ That was from earlier today.

MISC* is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
  #914
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Fair enough. I only read HF on my iPhone so it's hard to keep track of who says what sometimes!

The crew may not be biased towards T.O but ill tell you what when I have to see TO every Saturday night and the Canucks only a handful of times a year on HNIC it reeks of favouritism. Same as when the leafs come out west. Like this year TO was supposed to come and the static time of 7pm PST changes to 5PM. But when Montreal comes there is no change to accommodate the fans back east.

Also Ron Maclean is a tool. He may not be TO biased but without a doubt he is biased AGAINST Vancouver

Edit: For a proposal how would TO fans like

Luongo and Raymond for Bozak, Frattin, Colbourne Blacker and a 3rd

I would switch Higgins in for Raymond if Kulemin was added and the pick went to 2013 4th and 2014 4th
This is what I find frustrating about comments like this. CBC makes by far the money commercial revenue from Leaf games than any other team. They bring in easily the biggest ratings.

Leaf fans tell other teams fans this over and over. But instead, ignorant fans think CBC only shows Leaf games because CBC are big Leaf homers.

Do you guys not get it that CBC's funding is constantly cut and they love the big money the Leafs bring in? How many times does this have to be discussed? Seriously.

Do you know how much more money CBC makes for showing the game at 7Pm Eastern time? This isn't about being a Leaf homer, this is about being a fan of making money.

If you guys were in CBC's shoes you'd make the same call.

Also, during the Canucks 2011' cup run, CBC could not have been bigger homers for Vancouver. I was stunned hearing Canuck fans claim CBC hated them. Absolutely stunned.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:47 PM
  #915
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
How is Dreger biased to the Leafs? He never says anything good about them. It's either neutral or negative.
Remember how he said Kaberle was worth at most a second rounder days before he was traded to Boston??

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-27-2012, 11:54 PM
  #916
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Did you just say TSN is not biased towards the Leafs?


Do you know people call TSN the Toronto Sports Network as a joke?
That doesn't make it correct.

Does Toronto really believe it's New York and do all Torontonians drive expensive sports cars too?

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 12:12 AM
  #917
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This is what I find frustrating about comments like this. CBC makes by far the money commercial revenue from Leaf games than any other team. They bring in easily the biggest ratings.

Leaf fans tell other teams fans this over and over. But instead, ignorant fans think CBC only shows Leaf games because CBC are big Leaf homers.

Do you guys not get it that CBC's funding is constantly cut and they love the big money the Leafs bring in? How many times does this have to be discussed? Seriously.

Do you know how much more money CBC makes for showing the game at 7Pm Eastern time? This isn't about being a Leaf homer, this is about being a fan of making money.

If you guys were in CBC's shoes you'd make the same call.

Also, during the Canucks 2011' cup run, CBC could not have been bigger homers for Vancouver. I was stunned hearing Canuck fans claim CBC hated them. Absolutely stunned.
And yet you seem to forget CBC is taxpayer funded and the Canucks take the 10pm post slot on Saturdays

For example, Jan 7 last year the Canucks were back in Boston on a Saturday with a 1pm EST start time...CBC didn't even take a sniff to trying to broadcast it. Only a SCF rematch between teams who hate each other or anything..

EDIT: This will be my last post on TSN/CBC/Reporter bias - the moderators already said to stop

Seatoo is online now  
Old
10-28-2012, 12:14 AM
  #918
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,768
vCash: 5100
Normally I'd try to find a way to get back on topic, but frankly I'm tired of the same discussion going in circles.

Luongo to Edmonton. Book it.
(not really, but if HF offers are anything like the offers GMs are making, it would be an easy choice for me)

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 12:24 AM
  #919
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Normally I'd try to find a way to get back on topic, but frankly I'm tired of the same discussion going in circles.

Luongo to Edmonton. Book it.
(not really, but if HF offers are anything like the offers GMs are making, it would be an easy choice for me)
Luongo to Chicago for Bolland and Hjlmarsson!

Seatoo is online now  
Old
10-28-2012, 12:27 AM
  #920
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
And yet you seem to forget CBC is taxpayer funded and the Canucks take the 10pm post slot on Saturdays

For example, Jan 7 last year the Canucks were back in Boston on a Saturday with a 1pm EST start time...CBC didn't even take a sniff to trying to broadcast it. Only a SCF rematch between teams who hate each other or anything..

EDIT: This will be my last post on TSN/CBC/Reporter bias - the moderators already said to stop
Partially taxpayer funded. Far from 100% like mots of you think. The public funding doesn't come close to covering what they need to survive.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 12:37 AM
  #921
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
People like to be jealous that the most popular team gets the most attention but no they aren't. They haven't ranked the leafs to be in the playoffs in years and those 3 insiders are professional and objective
I don't really understand if you're claming that TSN is or is not biased towards the Leafs. From my observations it's pretty clear that they are, but not in content, just proportion of coverage. The amount of Leafs stories they cover compared to a similarly talented Canadian team like Calgary is quite obviously larger, but they're not always glowing in their coverage.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
  #922
GoLeafsGo96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
I don't really understand if you're claming that TSN is or is not biased towards the Leafs. From my observations it's pretty clear that they are, but not in content, just proportion of coverage. The amount of Leafs stories they cover compared to a similarly talented Canadian team like Calgary is quite obviously larger, but they're not always glowing in their coverage.
More Leafs viewers = More Leafs coverage. It's about ratings, and the only way to maximize their ratings is to cover the Leafs moreso than a team like the Flames. (For Example)

If that is the "bias" we are taking into consideration... It is irrelevant since it doesn't mean anything in regards to Luongo, or any other potential trade rumour involving the Leafs.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 08:28 AM
  #923
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Luongo and Raymond for Bozak, Frattin, Colbourne Blacker and a 3rd
Too funny. You'd think the Leafs were trying to deal for Ryan Kesler, not Roberto Luongo.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 08:29 AM
  #924
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Luongo to Chicago for Bolland and Hjlmarsson!
Chicago might as well add Jonathan Toews as well, eh?

The Saurus is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
  #925
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
I can't even fathom that some posters think the CBC is pro Toronto anti Vancouver.


Have you watched a HNIC Leafs broadcast? Hughson, Simpson and Healy collectively cream over the Nucks and bash anything Toronto does, especially in the rare case that Toronto is winning.

The only HNIC personality that I can think of that is pro TO is Grapes.


Any Luongo deal has to include Hughson going back to the west coast, Ill throw in any Leaf prospect to make that happen. On the phone with Burke right now and he agrees, Hughson has to go.

Deuce Awesome is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.