Notices

NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Spent 35,000 pucks on a second Halloween pack even though the one I bought a couple days ago didn't give me ****. Was rewarded with a SOTW Marleau, awesome.

Last edited by Billy Mays Here: 11-16-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old
10-27-2012, 08:30 PM
BigT2002

AC:III comes out in 3 days

Old
10-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Unless you belong to the PC master race.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:17 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
And with target's week-long deal of buy-2 get 1 free, I might actually snag it.

I was thinking AC3, NHL13, and Borderlands 2.

Or perhaps a couple of DS games. I'm not sure yet.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Assassins 3 is going to be unreal.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Haha, I just realized that Torrey Mitchell is a left handed shot in NHL 13 when in reality he shoots right handed. Yet another EA screw-up.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:38 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

So, having never played an AC, could I pick up ACIII and just be fine with it? Or would I be missing out on a bunch of stuff? I really enjoyed playing Skyrim after never playing before, would it be similar to that type of gameplay? And for someone who doesn't play online anymore (I would just get a xbox copy), is there enough there to keep me busy in single player for a while?

Thanks for the help.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
10-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
So, having never played an AC, could I pick up ACIII and just be fine with it? Or would I be missing out on a bunch of stuff? I really enjoyed playing Skyrim after never playing before, would it be similar to that type of gameplay? And for someone who doesn't play online anymore (I would just get a xbox copy), is there enough there to keep me busy in single player for a while?

Thanks for the help.
Well, you might be a bit lost with the plot (the whole Templars vs Assassins dynamic, Pieces of Eden etc..), but then again I don't know how much will they retell the story in the beginning. Also there's always wikipedia.

But otherwise, go for it! AC's are always very enjoyable and the core gameplay is still (hopefully) similar to the first one. Also, if you want to complete the game 100%, at least in previous editions that took a lot of time. So there's a lot of content in single player, I at least have never touched the multiplayer.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:40 AM
forthewild

uncharted: Golden Abyss is pretty amazing, if you have a Playstation Vita its worth its price, the plot is pretty amazing, game play is solid and the characters are good, all the sarcastic humor is back, voice acting is solid too. the graphics are pretty amazing for it being a handheld title.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm halfway through the first AC and it's pretty boring. AC2 was awesome and the first game I've hit 100%. Kept me busy for maybe 30-40 hours?

I would go AC2 first. I got through that game without much of any questions about the first one. And it's like $10 used.

Finally got around to playing Walking Dead on the PS3. Not the same story line as the movie. Almost like a choose your own adventure, not a run and gun. It's okay.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

I was thinking AC3, NHL13, and Borderlands 2.
I have an unopened NHL13 I am willing to trade someone. I don't have a Toys R Us around me so I can't return it. I couldn't wait the three weeks so I bought it at Walmart for 60.

If they have buy 2 get 1 free I'm getting Medal of Honor, AC:III, and Borderlands.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Man I need to play some more recent games.

I've been playing through Doom 3 after having it sit around for like 7 years uninstalled. I'm really enjoying it, even if it is dark as hell.

Anyone know if the Steam versions of Bioshock 1 & 2, and Mass Effect 1 & 2 have any DRM that is capable of ****ing with my hardware or anything like that? Thats one of the reasons I've stayed away from modern PC games for the most part... a lot of the DRM systems out there can actually install hardware level drivers that can **** with stuff like your optical drives.

And does anyone know how often Steam has sales that put games like the ones I just mentioned on sale for really cheap?

Old
10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I have an unopened NHL13 I am willing to trade someone. I don't have a Toys R Us around me so I can't return it. I couldn't wait the three weeks so I bought it at Walmart for 60.

If they have buy 2 get 1 free I'm getting Medal of Honor, AC:III, and Borderlands.
Oh hell yeah forgot about Medal of Honor. Dropping NHL 13 in favor of Warfighter, I think.

And as for Walking Dead, it's not set in the universe of the show, but rather in the universe of the comics. I just started Episode 2 last night, and it was pretty good so far. It's also not that bad of a price, either. $5 per episode, and each episode probably lasts a good 2- 2 1/2 hours. I've spent more on less before.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I'll stick with my Netflix. I've been watching the latest season of Parks and Recreation, still a great show.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Man I need to play some more recent games.

I've been playing through Doom 3 after having it sit around for like 7 years uninstalled. I'm really enjoying it, even if it is dark as hell.

Anyone know if the Steam versions of Bioshock 1 & 2, and Mass Effect 1 & 2 have any DRM that is capable of ****ing with my hardware or anything like that? Thats one of the reasons I've stayed away from modern PC games for the most part... a lot of the DRM systems out there can actually install hardware level drivers that can **** with stuff like your optical drives.

And does anyone know how often Steam has sales that put games like the ones I just mentioned on sale for really cheap?
steam it self is DRM, i have heard nothing but positive reviews of steam so you should have no issues with it as far as gaming goes. also they do have sales but i don't know anything specific as far as those games go.

40 Washington's for 1 and 2, http://store.steampowered.com/search...&term=bioshock

8 Abe's for Mass Effect 1 and 2 http://store.steampowered.com/search...rm=mass+effect

Old
10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Thanks for the help.
This is an interesting question...

Like others have said there are definitely some things you would be confused about in terms of the actual storyline. Basically, the game is in the future where you are a guy and you use a machine that lets you inhabit the body of one of your ancestors. So in the first game you look back and 'play' your ancestor Altair's memories in places like Jerusalem, Acre, Damascus, etc. These parts of the game don't really need any prefacing.

So what I'd say for AC III is that you'd be completely lost on the 'present time' parts of the game but in regards to the parts where you're playing as Connor during the American Revolution I think you'd be fine.

Sidenote: I get that AC was repetitive and a little boring after a while, but when you think of it you have to think of it in terms of how it was the first of the series and there wasn't anything to compare it to as of yet. I was fine with AC and thought it was a great concept and game (and still do for the most part) but only when ACII and others came out did it become boring...if that makes any sense.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
This is an interesting question...

Like others have said there are definitely some things you would be confused about in terms of the actual storyline. Basically, the game is in the future where you are a guy and you use a machine that lets you inhabit the body of one of your ancestors. So in the first game you look back and 'play' your ancestor Altair's memories in places like Jerusalem, Acre, Damascus, etc. These parts of the game don't really need any prefacing.

So what I'd say for AC III is that you'd be completely lost on the 'present time' parts of the game but in regards to the parts where you're playing as Connor during the American Revolution I think you'd be fine.

Sidenote: I get that AC was repetitive and a little boring after a while, but when you think of it you have to think of it in terms of how it was the first of the series and there wasn't anything to compare it to as of yet. I was fine with AC and thought it was a great concept and game (and still do for the most part) but only when ACII and others came out did it become boring...if that makes any sense.
I agree with what DOC is saying here. And really, Prov, the "future"/current timeline segments don't make up much of the actual gameplay at all, at least from the AC games released so far. You'd miss out on some of the story elements, sure, but they're not a big deal. I'm sure a guy like Jarick or myself could provide a concise summary of the games so far in like 2-3 paragraphs at most. The story isn't all that deep, IMO. It's good, but doesn't take much to figure out.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

AC definitely came up with an odd concept. Let's see if they actually put a good ending on a game.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
steam it self is DRM, i have heard nothing but positive reviews of steam so you should have no issues with it as far as gaming goes. also they do have sales but i don't know anything specific as far as those games go.

40 Washington's for 1 and 2, http://store.steampowered.com/search...&term=bioshock

8 Abe's for Mass Effect 1 and 2 http://store.steampowered.com/search...rm=mass+effect
I'm more than aware of Steam's status as glorified DRM, but for the moment it seems to be at least tolerable as far as DRM goes. I have not heard anything about it screwing with hardware or installed programs unlike other, more draconian schemes.

But I'm also aware that non-valve games can include 3rd party DRM as well, so that's why I'm slightly concerned and want to know before I jump in and finally buy something from steam. (I got the Orange Box at retail).

Old
10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've heard the new Medal of Honor is absolutely terrible.

The first AC seems to be more of a proof of concept than a final polished game. Luckily for us, they took all the criticism and focused on making an amazing game (and series). A lot like Mass Effect.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'm kind of excited for all the trilogies and HD re-releases being put out lately. Not that I want to play all of them, but it's cool they will package all the games up and sell improved versions for a bit of a discount. Yeah they are making money on older games, but for folks late to the system like me, it's cool.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:51 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Sounds good, thanks for the answers everyone.

So is the game itself sort of like Skyrim where you wander about the landscape and are free to do as you please or is it somewhat linear. Sorry, just trying to get a feel for it as I've never played...

Old
10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Its a more linear sandbox game like Red Dead or GTA.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The first AC seems to be more of a proof of concept than a final polished game. Luckily for us, they took all the criticism and focused on making an amazing game (and series). A lot like Mass Effect.
I did play a bit of AC1 and I did not enjoy it at all. AC2 was terrible the first time I played it, for the first hour or so. I rented it for a few days, played it maybe an hour, and took it back to where I rented it from. A few months later, I rented it again on a whim and I never put it down. Very much improved over the first one. And as much as I dislike the idea of those mini expansions in Brotherhood and Revelations(which I own), I love that they have been testing systems that seem to pay off in the next one.

But I disagree on Mass Effect. Some things were changed for the better, yes, but the series completely lost its footing and the ideas that it was based on in the first. 99% of the RPG elements were dropped, and the overall games suffered because of it. Add in the fact that the story completely pooped on itself in ME2 and ME3, compared to the masterpiece that ME1 was, and I think Bioware really, truly screwed up on that.

And as for the sandbox of Assassins Creed, Prov, it's a wide open city that you can explore at any time and do whatever you want, but it's not like Oblivion or Fallout where there are hundreds of sidequests to do. At most times, you've got one main quest to do, and maybe 2-3 side quests, if that. It's wide open, but also linear at the same time.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

AC2 took a few hours for me to get into it as well.

It's kind of like Skyrim where it's a huge open city (well multiple open cities), but instead of being glued to the ground, you're climbing and jumping on buildings. And it has a focused storyline rather than just a bunch of random crap.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Yeah I read some things about ACIII describing some of the sidequests that are going to be in the game....like you said there aren't hundreds of them but there are going to be quite a few and they look like they will be fun. Wish I could find that article where I saw it.

Closed Thread