HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I doubt there's going to be too many teenage girls watching on TV either. Men aged 25-70 probably make up 75% of the viewership. But at least they went with a Canadian act, instead of pulling a BC Lions and bringing in an American band that nobody watching the game either cared about or had even heard of (Black Eyed Peas).
I like that its Canadian talent. This should be the case pretty much as a rule. BEP was the worst example of stuffing US crap down our throats. Who wants to listen to that ****?

But heres the deal. Read all the comments on the CFL link about the "headliners" This is the people that make up the ticket buying audience talking.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/sirius-halftime-show

Nobody that buys tickets to the grey cup and is sitting there (and usually hammered and I've been to several) wants to be watching as some tart face and teeny boppy cavort across the stage to 10 yr old adoring fans...oh wait there isn't any in attendance.
On one hand I can see the CFL wanting to cater to young people and grow the exposure so they get this kind of pablum and rattles on stage in the hopes that some kids watch the game instead of disney channel or whatever crap kids watch these days.
So fine, do what most american broadcasters do and pipe in some nonsense syrupy crap to the kids watching on TV. But the actual performers AT the GREY CUP Halftime should be for the adults attending the game. The Beiber, Carly Ray Jepsen crap could be a recorded pregame affair or even pre day affair where they let kids in for free or something.
If you've bought tickets to the Grey Cup the last thing you want to see or remember is a hangover and some preening child entertainment.

jebus were the wiggles too busy to attend..somebody forget to call sesame street..

Old
10-28-2012, 12:04 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Montreal is going to blitz the **** out of us again. If we dont run the ball frequently and/or mix in a lot of screen passes we will stand no chance. Not getting my hopes up especially with Charles on the shelf. Need a monster game from the o-line and Messam. Could be the season right here. Montreal has nothing to play for.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The last quote is interesting...so Tillman really thought that giving Ray away for nothing and acquiring Jyles was going to be a critical component in keeping this team competitive?

So the team ends up with a year wasted on Jyles with little to no development time for a prospect they don't have and didn't acquire, basically no return at all for an HOF QB and this team is supposed to be better long term?

Is that just wacky enough to work?
The one aspect where we'd all agree is in this notion that the replacing of RR needed to take a long time. That we should just get rid of him and not bring in players that are good enough to keep us competitive this year.

I know its the teams view that the D was going to carry the team all year and I think without a plethora of injuries that would work to some extent at least in the regular season. I'm not convinced this offense would put up much in the playoffs. Maybe one win.

From comments Tillman appears to be bringing another raft of QB recruits in. There was no real reason not to have set the bar higher for doing that this season.

As much as I've defended the QB's we have its from the perspective of this is what we've got and cheering for, and not against the club. This should not be confused with my want for something better going forward.

ps Haven't heard you talk much about Reilly. Wish we had somebody like that in the stable.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Tyrolean

We got about a 10 percent chance to win the game.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I like that its Canadian talent. This should be the case pretty much as a rule. BEP was the worst example of stuffing US crap down our throats. Who wants to listen to that ****?

But heres the deal. Read all the comments on the CFL link about the "headliners" This is the people that make up the ticket buying audience talking.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/sirius-halftime-show

Nobody that buys tickets to the grey cup and is sitting there (and usually hammered and I've been to several) wants to be watching as some tart face and teeny boppy cavort across the stage to 10 yr old adoring fans...oh wait there isn't any in attendance.
On one hand I can see the CFL wanting to cater to young people and grow the exposure so they get this kind of pablum and rattles on stage in the hopes that some kids watch the game instead of disney channel or whatever crap kids watch these days.
So fine, do what most american broadcasters do and pipe in some nonsense syrupy crap to the kids watching on TV. But the actual performers AT the GREY CUP Halftime should be for the adults attending the game. The Beiber, Carly Ray Jepsen crap could be a recorded pregame affair or even pre day affair where they let kids in for free or something.
If you've bought tickets to the Grey Cup the last thing you want to see or remember is a hangover and some preening child entertainment.

jebus were the wiggles too busy to attend..somebody forget to call sesame street..

Couldn't agree more. Some idiot in marketing needs to look at the demographics for people watching this sport. Trust me, it isn't 10 year old teenage girls. IMO, just a silly choice.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Anyone know of a site that's streaming the game for free?

Old
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
We got about a 10 percent chance to win the game.

I don't know why, but I think we win this game, or at least keep it close. RR never fared well in Montreal. Maybe Joseph will not have that stigma attached to him.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I don't know why, but I think we win this game, or at least keep it close. RR never fared well in Montreal. Maybe Joseph will not have that stigma attached to him.
Yep, agreed. We win this game. Just a feeling I got that we see the top Esks performance today.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Some idiot in marketing needs to look at the demographics for people watching this sport. Trust me, it isn't 10 year old teenage girls. IMO, just a silly choice.
It's probably more for TV than any real football fans.

Maybe they can get mom and dad to watch a bit while the kids wait for Bieber.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Tedi

Ominous looking start, Esks D no where to be seen

Old
10-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Off-side and procedure penalties on consecutive plays

Old
10-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Ominous looking start, Esks D no where to be seen
Esks O nowhere to be seen.

Kerry Joseph stinking up the joint again. Replacement is going to run out of crappy QB's to avidly support.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Tedi

So I guess we don't run the ball anymore, can't convert a 2nd and 3...sad

Old
10-28-2012, 01:57 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
So I guess we don't run the ball anymore, can't convert a 2nd and 3...sad
What else is new?

Old
10-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
What else is new?
Yah no doubt, the coaching on this team sucks. Unmotivated start and continuous mental errors on simple plays.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Moneypuck

Easy to see this is going to be "another" tough day for Joseph. Shoulda just mailed Montreal the two pts instead of having to go through the motions..

Old
10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Seen enough of this one. Gotta give Joseph the hook at half time.

Anyone else find it mindblowing that players continue to go offside on goal line stands? All you have to do is put your hand on the line, but still there is always an idiot that decide to get 4 inches past and get penalized.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Copperhead

Wait what happened? I saw a stop on 2nd and goal....did they gamble on 3rd and goal?

Old
10-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Wait what happened? I saw a stop on 2nd and goal....did they gamble on 3rd and goal?
Yep, Esks can't catch a break. Bertrand knocked out cold now...why couldn't it be an Alouette instead?

Old
10-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Cerebral

Joseph is having a huge first half - 30 yards passing!

10-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Joseph is having a huge first half - 30 yards passing!
I think Anthony Calvillo had that on his first pass of the game.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
Yep, Esks can't catch a break. Bertrand knocked out cold now...why couldn't it be an Alouette instead?
Although I understand the frustration, I would rather no one get injured, never mind a blow like that

Old
10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 830
This reffing is brutal

Old
10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

This is why the CFL is a bush league.