HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricane Sandy Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Hurricane Sandy Thread

Surprised there isn't one yet.

Big stuff here

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Saw some metal scaffolding fall on my way to the gym, and decide to go back home. Already more impressive than Irene

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
It's gonna be a mess. Keep safe everyone.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

From the OT Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by But It Was Aliens View Post
Having quite the hard time staying awake at the moment so I'm really going to be briefly going into things. Sorry if it's short.. until I get back from work tomorrow this will have to do.

Here are things how they stand currently:

(Note: This will auto-update as time goes on.)

Hurricane Sandy is currently a Category 1 Hurricane sitting in the lower Atlantic near South Carolina. Within the next 24 hours, we are currently anticipating and expecting several main things that will set up an EXTREMELY NASTY Monday-Wednesday. The main bulk of everything will be felt by Monday afternoon-night. Overnight hours will be the worst of the conditions. Tuesday AM and mid afternoon will still be dangerous. By Tuesday night the majority of the area should still be windy but things will start to taper down a bit. By Wednesday AM we will be left with windy conditions and showers.

1) The current location of Sandy is still prime for strengthening. Completely fine for strengthening, actually. Despite being this high in latitude, ocean waters are relatively warm (in the 80's still) and being right on-par with the Gulf Stream gives all the more reason for fuel being added to the fire. In fact, quite a few models actually strengthen Sandy further than expected, to a strong Category 1 Hurricane (90+mph winds) and even one has a Cat 2. While this is not entirely probable, the potential still exist. Overall, majority of the models agree the Sandy with further strengthen and continue to maintain it's Tropical Characteristics for the rest of today. I sincerely am beginning to think that the official forecast is underrated and we should be expecting a stronger storm than what is currently being predicted. The entire 0z model suites have a sub 950mb storm crashing into SNJ/CNJ. Just for the record, that most likely is the lowest recorded low-pressure system to be at our latitude if that were to pan out.

Here are current Satellite Images and Current Sea Surface Temps:

^ just to give you an idea on how MASSIVE this storm is.

2) There are a few other things we need to be on the lookout for today. One is the intensification as stated above. The second is the trough moving across the country, the piece of energy associated with the trough and when and where the phasing between the trough and Sandy begins. All models have general consensus of this happening around the benchmark area, which allows Sandy to begin to Retrograde back towards the coast and have that E->W flow. This, combined with the -NAO (Dome of High Pressure off the coast of Greenland that is preventing Sandy from going out to sea) is essentially why we are getting hit. The timing of this along with the timing of intensification will give us a good indicator of where and when the turn will happen. This is completely crucial for trying to pinpoint an accurate landfall. While the general overall event that accompanies Sandy (wind/rain) isn't as significant when we're talking about relevant to where it's making landfall, it's absolutely CRUCIAL to storm surge beach erosion.

Continuing on with what was said above, storm surge is something that is seriously worrying me. Not only does the fact that a storm moving directly perpendicular to the coast frighten me, but due to the nature of what Sandy will undergo after that interaction and phasing with the Trough and the retrograde begins, or even before that, truly terrifies me.

When a hurricane, tropical storm or any piece of tropical energy loses is tropical characteristics, it loses it's warm core (warm aspect to the storm) and loses that eye wall or convective banding around the center of circulation. The wind field starts to spread out and distribute itself over a much wider radius, as what we're currently seeing with Sandy. While Sandy still has tropical characteristics currently, it also posses extra-tropical or post-tropical signatures too. Being such a massive storm, currently, Tropical storm force winds can be felt for almost 300 MILES from the center of the storm, which will continue to even expand more. We're dealing with a semi-hybrid type of storm, and as today continues, we'll see how exactly it's structure will form and unfold. Until then, here's why this is so concerning.

a) With such an expansive wind field and for the amount of time Sandy has been spending over the ocean, ocean waters have been churning and swelling for quite some time. There is a very large area of water that will be accompanying Sandy into the coast when it reaches up here.

b) Coming in perpendicular or almost perpendicular with the coast will push this water directly INTO the coastline and surrounding areas due to the counter-clockwise motion cyclones have. The entire east coast will have an on-shore flow and will have water continuously pumped at the coast. This graphic below will show some information that I believe you all should be closely monitoring:

Probability that Storm Surge will be greater than:

> 2 feet

> 4 feet

> 6 feet

As you can see, even the probability of greater than 6 foot storm surge is still a possibility (20-30%). 6 feet of storm surge is DEVASTATING, especially in terms of the NYC area. This is something you seriously, seriously.. seriously.... need to take a look at your evacuation plans and determine tomorrow. I know the Mayor has not evacuated or issued mandatory evacs yet but if you seriously can afford to get out (for extremely low lying areas) please do. It's just not something to mess around with.

Here is a link to NY predictions for surge for locations:

Storm Surge NYC

That's just the beginning of it, assuming a Central NJ landfall. There are seriously a plethora of possibilities depending on location of landfall that storm surge has. Please monitor the local news and online sources to keep an eye on this if you live anywhere near a coastal section.

I haven't even touched up on the rain as of yet but I will let the maps do the talking. This is obviously an early guess at this stage still (please, like I said, continue to monitor online sources or your local news for updates throughout the day.
Here are current predictions for total rainfall through:

Days 1-3

Overall (1-5)

As a personal opinion, I feel those totals are on the lower side. It is safe to say we should all be expecting a general 3-6/4-8 inches of rain with locally 10+inches.

To kind of elaborate on the subject above, the reason why I'm worried about this is due to the leaves. Yes, the leaves. Here in Central Jersey a good 80% of the trees STILL have leaves on them. They surely will not after 30-50mph sustained winds for the first few hours. Those leaves are going to be a menace and completely clog and block drains all over. Factor this in with 8 inches of rain or coastal or tidal flooding.. and well, you get feet of water building up. I would honestly not be surprised to see low laying areas and river-shed areas to be completely flooded out. And just to touch on that, please, turn around, don't drown. It's really simple. If you cannot judge if there's standing water or not, moving water or not, take the safe route. Don't go through it. It only takes a few inches of moving/running water to take a car off it's wheels.

This is probably becoming extremely disorganized by this point as I'm falling asleep, but I hope it's informative and helps some people out. If anyone is wondering, no I am not affiliated with any agency or the government. I am a meteorology major and weather enthusiast. Any opinions or advice are solely my own and does not represent any company.

With that being said, please, please... carefully monitor the storm tomorrow. Here are a few links to sites that could be of use:

www.weather.com
www.nws.noaa.gov
www.accuweather.com
www.wunderground.com

If you have not prepared for this, PLEASE prepare tomorrow morning. Sunday night we will begin to feel wind and see some of the outer bands in the form of showers. Not to mention, well, last minute... most places will most likely be out of supplies already. Batteries. Canned goods. Water. Etc.

To leave this off, expect power outages. Expect trees down, flooding and expect the worst but hope for the best. To leave it off on how serious people should be taking this, there is a scale that exists that measures the IKE:

Hurricane Katrina? 5.2. Ike? 5.4.
Sandy?

Yes, for wave/storm surge it's a 5.7. Don't think one storm has reached that high before.

That's it for me for now. If I get out early tomorrow I'll give you an update. In the meantime, if anyone is in desperate need for info or opinions feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps!

-Scott

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Remove air conditioners from the windows? Or keep them in?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Remove air conditioners from the windows? Or keep them in?
I'd personally remove them, there's a good chance they could get damaged from flying debris at least that's what I would think.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

We already put our patio furniture inside our garage yesterday.

Stay safe.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
blue425

Checklist:
  1. Two bottles good tequila, limes, seltzer
  2. Candles
  3. Sega Genesis with Shinobi III, Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim, and Batman and Robin within arms reach
  4. Alien, The Raid, and Three volumes of Animaniacs
  5. Fridge filled with goodness
  6. Pull up bar and Monday's workout
  7. No work tomorrow and in all likely hood Tuesday
  8. Monopoly Deal and Banangrams
  9. And some funny green stuff, possibly in my nose
  10. Cigars should the mood strike me

Be safe kids.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
EmpireStateofMind

Bloomberg just ordered a mandatory evacuation for my area and for all New Yorkers in Zone A. Be safe everyone.

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Pretty safe to say I won't have school tomorrow. Thanks Sandy!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:35 AM
UDnyr92

At school down in northern DE... gonna get hit pretty hard by this storm I guess, just staying in the dorm for a few days now, class was already cancelled until at least Wednesday. Hope it goes as well as possible for everyone else

UDnyr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:54 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
We didn't lose power during Irene up here in Washington Heights.. not expecting to this time either. NYC power is generally safe due to lack of power lines no? The only damage that could come to them is intense flooding, or am I off base?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
YetAnotherNorwegian

Nothing I can add to this except: Stay safe everyone!

YetAnotherNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:16 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Stay safe everyone! This is looking like quite a situation. Funny how I tried telling people over the weekend about the magnitude it might be and most just laughed and thought it would be nothing.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I'd personally remove them, there's a good chance they could get damaged from flying debris at least that's what I would think.
I want to remove them but no where to store them as it turns out. Apartment too small lol.

Oh well. I guess I'll just hope for the best.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Stay safe everyone.

Don't do anything stupid to get yourself hurt.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Just went to buy beer and there was a car parked sideways across 2 handicapped spaces. The back seat was filled with 8 cases of bottled water. Someone was in quite the panic. Call me an ******* but I just had to stop and laugh at that point.

On a serious note, this does look like a big one. Just spent the morning testing the generator and setting up a grounding rod.

Stay safe everyone.

10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Just went to buy beer and there was a car parked sideways across 2 handicapped spaces. The back seat was filled with 8 cases of bottled water. Someone was in quite the panic. Call me an ******* but I just had to stop and laugh at that point.

On a serious note, this does look like a big one. Just spent the morning testing the generator and setting up a grounding rod.

Stay safe everyone.
You're in Ty New York area? Time to update your location

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
Bloomberg just ordered a mandatory evacuation for my area and for all New Yorkers in Zone A. Be safe everyone.
LOL I'm not evacuating for ****.

10-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

Stay safe everyone.
This storm is going to suck. I have my water ready. Freezing the ice packs now so I can have some extra cooling in the freezer if it does indeed lose power.

Going to make a nice big thing of Crystal Light, too, to go along with the water.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
LOL I'm not evacuating for ****.
1,800+ people were killed in New Orleans for saying the same thing as you.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Someone has to explain to me why a category 1 hurricane is getting all this media attention.

10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Someone has to explain to me why a category 1 hurricane is getting all this media attention.
Do some research, man. It's all over why this is a big deal.

The prolonged rains, prolonged winds, and prolonged storm surge have the potential to be devastating. Millions will be out of power for days. This is a massive, massive storm that is combining with another storm. It's going to be misery.

The category matters not. It would be just as bad if the storm came in as just a tropical storm.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:10 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
From what I understand, it's a Cat 1 Hurricane merging with a pretty heave Nor'easter and becoming one "frankenstorm" that will stretch from Maine to Virginia.

Not to mention where it's hitting isn't a place that's prepared for Hurricanes like a place like Florida or Louisiana for instance.

It's a pretty big deal.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:23 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Do some research, man. It's all over why this is a big deal.
Honestly, I don't have enough interest to do research. I just passed by the thread and thought I'd ask.

BlueShirts88 is online now   Reply With Quote