HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

ESPN - Leino & Myers amongst 10 worst contracts in NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2012, 10:21 AM
  #26
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
AT THE TIME, it was a free agent signing of the second most highly sought after forward on the market.

Again, today, yea, the signing looks pretty bad ... So far.
AT THE TIME there was plenty of debate over whether it was a smart signing or not.

The signing was never universally celebrated by Sabres fans, let alone fans and media throughout the league.

Most independent media and fans thought the deal was a huge risk for the Sabres and that he was overpaid.

And one year after the deal was signed, Leino has not done enough for me to change my opinion that it was a bad deal for the Sabres to sign him.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:32 AM
  #27
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
9. Tyler Myers, seven years, $38.5 million: The annual cap hit of Myers’ contract isn’t so bad -- $5.5 million -- but why did the Sabres give him a $10 million signing bonus for the first year? Was it really that hard for him to sign the contract? It makes the first season of his deal -- which is, symbolically, the locked-out 2012-13 season -- worth $12 million, third-highest salary in the league. And we’re pretty sure that unless you WORK OUTSIDE OF ESPN, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers.

Fixed.

Seriously, why do people (fans and media) keep bringing up bad contracts AFTER they've been signed? Nothing can be done with these contracts, Unless they allow teams to buy out contracts or void them without being penalized.

Just live with the fact your GM made a questionable move and hope they learned from it, and move on.
Because those contracts continue to affect the team? Your statement is so mind bogglingly non-nonsensical. Who cares what people's knee jerk reaction to a signing is?

If Leino scored 30 goals and 80 points this year he would be worth his contract. He didn't, so he's not. If he does it next year, he's worth his contract. If after four years hes not producing more than 40-50 points, he's not worth his contract.

I just....need to stop posting on hockey threads

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  #28
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 500
Leino sure. Buy Myers? Come on now, ESPN. I love that contract.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM
  #29
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
AT THE TIME there was plenty of debate over whether it was a smart signing or not.

The signing was never universally celebrated by Sabres fans, let alone fans and media throughout the league.

Most independent media and fans thought the deal was a huge risk for the Sabres and that he was overpaid.

And one year after the deal was signed, Leino has not done enough for me to change my opinion that it was a bad deal for the Sabres to sign him.
Absolutely agree on all points, except the last. Again 1/6th of his contract has been played. 5/6ths remain. So far, yes, a bad deal.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:41 PM
  #30
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,579
vCash: 500
Of the players he ranked, wouldn't Redden not playing in the NHL be the worst contract because of the very fact he isn't in the NHL? Overpaying a player on your roster is certainly a bad thing but overpaying someone you don't even have on the team is worse.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
  #31
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Of the players he ranked, wouldn't Redden not playing in the NHL be the worst contract because of the very fact he isn't in the NHL? Overpaying a player on your roster is certainly a bad thing but overpaying someone you don't even have on the team is worse.
Redden Or Yashin

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
  #32
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,579
vCash: 500
As for Leino, he certainly has a bad contract but its hardly is bad as some go on about it.


-His cap hit isn't even in the top 100 (tied for 104th).

-His actually salary (6mil) is currenty tied for 51st in the league but will drop quite a bit next year when it goes down to 4mil (it would put it roughly in the 130s overall).

-On the Sabres he is 5th in cap hit and actual salary.

The way a few go on about Leino you would think he is the highest paid Sabre and one of the top paid players in the game.

I saw in an early post that someone felt he would need to produce a 30g 80pt season to be worth his deal. How did they come to that conclusion? If he is a 15-20g 50ish pt player that plays well in the playoffs going forward, he will justify his deal (Basically his last season in Philly).


Last edited by joshjull: 10-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:30 PM
  #33
mercy
Registered User
 
mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
I like how he name dropped Cheektowaga to pretend like he knows what he's talking about. How do these clowns get jobs?

mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:59 PM
  #34
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
I've actually been tracking some of the more awful contracts in the NHL post-lockout and Leino didn't even make my list of 16 (mainly because I deemed players that had only been under their deal for a year too early to call a boom or bust). But seriously...

Heatley at $7.5 for 6? - Guy has been .277 ppg worse under his new deal and everyone knew he had work ethic issues.

Wade Redden isn't even in the NHL anymore.

Dion Phaneuf at $6.5 for 6. Decent player, but $6.5 million?

Shawn Horcoff at $5.5 per for 6.

Jay Bouwmeester at $6.8 per for 5 - you want to talk about a household name that disappeared...

A clearly aging Vinny Lecavalier at $7.27 per for 11!

And let's not even get into some of the lower level deals like Paul Gaustad and Cody McCormick.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:19 PM
  #35
Dreakon
Registered User
 
Dreakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mighty Taco
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
I live in Williamsville and I've heard of Tyler Myers.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
  #36
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Why feed into the hate? Let ESPN write about a sport they know nothing about all they want. Im not mad at all...if I wanted to watch a top 10 consisting of 3 lebron dunks and 1 of lebron throwing powder into the air...I turn to espn if I want hockey news I go elsewhere, no big deal here.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
  #37
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,988
vCash: 500
Times like this, I appreciate being Canadian so I don't have to listen to ESPN's nonsense on a constant basis.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  #38
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Times like this, I appreciate being Canadian so I don't have to listen to ESPN's nonsense on a constant basis.
We get to listen to CBC and TSN with their Toronto bias.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:16 PM
  #39
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
We get to listen to CBC and TSN with their Toronto bias.
It's not a bias, Ontario is clearly a better place for hockey then anywhere else in the world. Don Cherry told me so.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
  #40
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
It's not a bias, Ontario is clearly a better place for hockey then anywhere else in the world. Don Cherry told me so.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
  #41
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
There is no logical explanation for the Leino contract.
Yes there is. They lost out on Richards and panicked.

I agree with the article. This franchise has been mismanaged since the (first) lockout.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:18 AM
  #42
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Yes there is. They lost out on Richards and panicked.

I agree with the article. This franchise has been mismanaged since the (first) lockout.
Idt it was so much as missing out on Richards as it was feeling the need to Pegula-cash-out on a Free agent signing and unfortunately after Richards and Tim Connelly(who Buffalo had run out of town)...there was nothing but risks...

We never had a shot at Richards and we all know it, but given the deep pockets and Cup or nothing mentality we all suddenly got from Pegula we went after a consolation prize....

to be more direct...had those cards fallen this coming offseason at worst our "consolation leino" wouldve been a Zajac type. It was all a circumstance of a crap FA crop.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
  #43
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Idt it was so much as missing out on Richards as it was feeling the need to Pegula-cash-out on a Free agent signing and unfortunately after Richards and Tim Connelly(who Buffalo had run out of town)...there was nothing but risks...

We never had a shot at Richards and we all know it, but given the deep pockets and Cup or nothing mentality we all suddenly got from Pegula we went after a consolation prize....

to be more direct...had those cards fallen this coming offseason at worst our "consolation leino" wouldve been a Zajac type. It was all a circumstance of a crap FA crop.
An owner and GM have to understand that though. Pushing the panic button may help ease the fan base at the time, but they have to look into what best for the organization long term. Sure they wanted to lock up leino, but why for 6 years?
Hindsight is 20/20 so I'm not trying to say if I were in charge I would have done a better job, however your justification for the signing is awful. If management has no options left and some money to spend they choose to spend it all on crap rather then wait for the right deal, thats just poor decision making.
Think of it this way, your a kid and your mom gives you 5 bucks to go buy what you want at a variety store. You want to buy a chocolate bar but they're all sold out and only have pretzels. Do you wait for more chocolate bars to come in stock or do you splurge on the pretzels?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
  #44
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,074
vCash: 50
Myers on there is kind of silly. He has to develop more consistentcy - no more looking like he took quaaludes prior to a game - but he is capable of dominating for games at at time; nobody would say that about Leino. And the capper was the silly comment about hockey fans outside of WNY not knowing who the guy is. FFS, he isn't Jeff Finger.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:43 PM
  #45
TragicallySabres
Registered User
 
TragicallySabres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Buffalo
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
I live in South Buffalo, and that Tyler Myers guy kind of rings a bell....Really though, what a comment. Also, I love how the article mentions Komisarek's offensive numbers. Isn't he thought of as more of a defensive/physical type D-man?

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
  #46
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
An owner and GM have to understand that though. Pushing the panic button may help ease the fan base at the time, but they have to look into what best for the organization long term. Sure they wanted to lock up leino, but why for 6 years?
Hindsight is 20/20 so I'm not trying to say if I were in charge I would have done a better job, however your justification for the signing is awful. If management has no options left and some money to spend they choose to spend it all on crap rather then wait for the right deal, thats just poor decision making.
Think of it this way, your a kid and your mom gives you 5 bucks to go buy what you want at a variety store. You want to buy a chocolate bar but they're all sold out and only have pretzels. Do you wait for more chocolate bars to come in stock or do you splurge on the pretzels?
I never said I agreed with the leino panic signing at all...I was merely explaining that the circumstances were much more than just missing on Richards...it was the hype of pegula and promises of cups...not saying I agree...just explaining

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:54 PM
  #47
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,175
vCash: 50
Well as a Kings fan from Buffalo, if Doughty didn't have such a great playoffs he likely would've been in the Top 5. Myers doesn't deserve to be on there, Leino... ehhhh. I really didn't think Leino didn't have that terrible of a season, stats wise he did; but he really did make things happen and played better D than most of the forwards.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:48 PM
  #48
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
The bigger question (as a Pens fan who lives 10 hours from Buffalo and has heard of Myers and would much prefer his contract to Martin's) is who the **** is Paul Grant and why would anyone give him a job as a hockey analyst / writer? Management fail.

ESPN is such a joke when it comes to hockey. Save for LeBrun (who is solid), their entire hockey staff is second rate.

I do agree Leino's contract should be somewhere on the list of the 10 or 15 worst contracts for sure, but some of those names a chimp could add. Who doesn't know that Milbury was the worst GM in hockey history and produced two of the worst contracts and the very worst trades anyone has ever seen? I suppose if you've never watched a game of hockey or read an ounce of history and started watching last June you might not know but otherwise...

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:04 PM
  #49
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,780
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...9799--nhl.html

If there is an amnesty clause, will Leino get bought out?

Quote:
From the National Post:

Buffalo Sabres: Ville Leino
Everyone knew it was a risk when the Sabres signed a winger who had never scored 20 goals to a six-year deal worth US$27-million. After scoring just eight goals and 25 points last season, Leino's play did not calm fears.

This one might seem obvious until you factor in that he was part of Terry Pegula's initial big splash as an owner. Granted, he's a hockey guy and someone that doesn't seem egomaniacal enough to never own up to a mistake. But he's also someone that committed six years to a player and may not seek to define Leino as a mistake after one season and with a $4.5 million cap hit.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  #50
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,074
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...9799--nhl.html

If there is an amnesty clause, will Leino get bought out?
No. Not now, anyways.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.